Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

The 1st lady From Big Boi's Purple Ribbon All Stars Camp!

Her 1st single is Letting Go- It is Great!

yeh I know. Its old, check out Call The Law on Outkasts latset album Its new and hot.

Comment

ive been bumping time will reveal for a few months now has anybody got any news about janelle

here are the tracks i have

lettin go
      time will reveal
      party girl
      peachtree bluesw

Comment

http://concreteloop.com/2007/08/janelle ... -the-chase

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmHxDY4hejU

Now signed to Bad Boy/Wondaland!!!

Comment

http://concreteloop.com/2008/04/events- ... ase-in-nyc

Comment

'She's bad, man,' the mogul says of the eccentric artist, whose first EP will be re-released June 10.

NEW YORK ó On her track "Violet Stars Happy Hunting!," new Bad Boy signee Janelle MonŠe calls herself an alien from outer space. But the eccentrically gifted artist and Diddy seem to have bonded somewhere around Metropolis, the universe MonŠe created as the basis for her debut project of the same title.

She and Diddy even have alter egos in Metropolis. Hers is Cindi Mayweather, a character she created for her EP, Metropolis Suite I of IV: The Chase, which she released independently last year and will re-release June 10 through Bad Boy/ Atlantic Records.

"Cindi Mayweather is one of her kind," MonŠe told MTV News last week from Blender Theater before she headlined a showcase for the media. "She's like the James Brown, Judy Garland, you know, Elvis and Janelle MonŠe of her day. So she was created, but she was programmed not to love and not to have any feelings. And she [complete with her own MySpace page] falls in love with this human by the name of Anthony Greendown [who has a MySpace too]. And for that, they want to disassemble her. Because the number-one rule is to never fall in love with a human.

"So she and I, we made a pact," MonŠe continued. "For me to tell my land about her story and for her to tell her land about my story. And that's what I'm doing."

MonŠe, a former protťgť of Outkast's Big Boi and now based in Atlanta, admits the concept can be overwhelming. That's why she's releasing her debut as a series of four "suites," which are essentially EPs that include four to five songs. The first suite was released last year on indie label the Wondaland Arts Society, which she co-founded.

Diddy, normally one to see things only his way, is content to live in MonŠe's world. "She gonna give it piece by piece, because there's a lot of important things that she wanted to say," he explained of her album rolling out in a series.

"I been to Metropolis," he added, playing along with MonŠe. "And my name is LeRoy. And I'm into white women and, you know, I drive a Cadillac and I drink moonshine. And I don't smile in pictures."

Jokes aside, Diddy is clearly enamored with his new ingenue, who manages to mix rock, soul and punk together to create her own sound.

She wowed the audience at her performance with hubris, candor and dance moves that would have made Fonzworth Bentley jealous.

Diddy compares his signing of MonŠe to some of his more famous discoveries, including the Notorious B.I.G. and Mary J. Blige. The Bad Boy CEO, now more of an elder statesman, said MonŠe is a one-of-a kind creative artist that he felt he had to sign.

"I think it's something that I needed to do to show my level of creativity for my legacy as an executive producer and as a label owner," he said of bringing her onboard. "I was looking for things that were different and innovative. Because if you're a leader in this industry you want to be helping to push it forward, and she's an artist that would help to push it forward. ... It's so good that it's not a risk. It's not about the sales, it's not about one particular thing."

"Wow," MonŠe exclaimed, seated next to Diddy.

"It's about the whole entire brand," he continued. "It's a gift. It's something that once you see it, you're like, 'If I get a chance to be involved in nurturing this artist, this is more than a business or making money in the music industry, I could be a part of giving a gift to the world of something like Billie Holiday.' That's a gift. Mary J. Blige, I been blessed to be a part of, that's a gift. Biggie, that's a gift. This, to me, is one of my gifts.

"To cut to the chase, she's bad, man," he said with a smile.

MonŠe is scheduled to film her first music video, for "Many Moons," soon.

Comment

I'm so excited by this woman, I haven't felt this excited about an underground artist since Joi. I bought the first suite on impulse and love it, although they should make a video for Violet Stars Happy Hunting! instead of Many Moons. Also if they're re-releasing it I'll have to wait even longer for the 2nd suite.

I managed to get a hold of her first unreleased album 'The Audition', which I also quite liked. It's a bit rough round the edges and perhaps sounds like it was made on a low budget. But I love tracks like Letting Go, It's Not Fair and Cloud 9 (which sounds a bit like old-school Kelis) because they're just well-written.

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=242rHQdTLxg&feature=related

Check the performance at the end...WOW at her vocals...Janelle SANGS!!!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wzs9VdQjGI

Oh My God...that is scary good. Diddy has really got a special artist.

Comment

I loved her from the moment I heard Call The Law.
                      I just hope Diddy doesn't screw her over like most of the other acts on his label :x she has huge potential.

Comment

"Violet Stars Happy Hunting!" on her myspace is AMAZING

Comment

I'm late commenting on this girl. Been listening to many moons latly and honestly it has one of the best video's i've seen in my life.

Just a question, are there any other songs she does that have this Gnarls Berkley-ish type of sound to them, I looked on youtube and found more 'typical' songs which I didn't like so much!
                          "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

She needs to release this year or I'm over her. Damn she likes to make fans wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Thombus
                              She needs to release this year or I'm over her. Damn she likes to make fans wait!
                              'The ArchAndroid' May 18!
                              Just cos I said it, don't mean that I meant it

Comment

heard the full chase suite. stunning.
                                "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

She's workin on a new album?? I'm a bit confused now.

Comment

Rap-Up.com report on 'The ArchAndroid' album showcase

http://www.rap-up.com/2010/03/10/janell ... more-41310

Comment

I love this:

"Neon Valley Street"

one of the song titles. It was used in the "Violet Stars/Happy Hunting!!!" song !!

I would love for this album to come EARLY NO POSTPONING PLEASE!!
                                      Lil' Eddie Trooper
                                      "The skies belong to the stars..."
                                      Edwin Serrano, true star <3

Comment

The ArchAndroid TRAILER

Oh, I thought it was a city! Surprising!

Comment

^ Awesome! And only a month left until the album is released. Exciting!

Comment

I love this woman and her music and her voice! Bring it!
                                            Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
                                            and you are no exception

Comment

I love a comment on the video:

This is more than an album... This is a? CULTURAL EVENT!

Comment

Ha - I love it!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X