• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kushi
    Legend
    • 20 Oct 2005

Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape

Originally posted by MTV News
    "It's part two to the [Love, Angel, Music, Baby] record," Stefani said of her second, yet-untitled solo album.

"It's a no-brainer, fun thing to do compared to doing music, which is very emotional and hard." — Gwen Stefani on fashion

On Friday, the No Doubt singer presented her spring 2007 L.A.M.B. collection to rain-drenched fashion insiders such as Mena Suvari and Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour. The new mom dished to MTV News about her upcoming LP, her fashion inspirations and 4-month-old son Kingston James (see "Gwen Stefani Delivers Baby Boy").

Stefani hopes the record, which she calls "ear candy," drops before 2007. She said she won't stray too far from what worked on her successful solo debut, even recycling some familiar collaborators.

"There's a lot of songs that were left over from the last album, and there's some new songs I did with Pharrell," she said. "There's a lot of Pharrell on this record. I did some stuff with [No Doubt's] Tony [Kanal] and some stuff with Akon."

MTV News also caught up with Swizz Beatz during Fashion Week, and he said he's working with Gwen too.

"She's always taking it to the next level," he said. "I love her background for music. She likes a lot of Caribbean sounds with hard beats."

As for her fashion line, Gwen took a page from Elvira Hancock's handbook. The "Scarface" blond bombshell, played by Michelle Pfeiffer, halted all conversation when she entered a room, wearing tight silk gowns, draping chemises and slick white suits with bold confidence and a no-nonsense attitude.

All these qualities made Hancock the perfect inspiration for Stefani's L.A.M.B. collection. At the intimate show Friday, models wore blond-bob wigs and showcased more than 45 looks, including braided gowns, sweater tube tops, scoop turtlenecks, khaki suits, long cream gowns, off-the-shoulder dresses, yellow track jackets, gold motorcycle jackets and white skinny pants. There were lots of funky prints in the mix too, ranging from origami to cheetah to tie-dye.

It was a much broader and more sophisticated line than last season's thuggish collection — which means L.A.M.B. could replace even more fashion lines in department stores like Bloomingdale's and Macy's.

Stefani had on a long, sultry black gown with cheetah trim, wearing red lipstick with her hair in pin curls.

"This was the dress that inspired me," she told MTV News about her outfit. "And it was a friend of mine that had this silhouette, and that's what made me start thinking about that time period — the Michelle Pfeiffer late '70s, early '80s.

"And then I always have that Jamaican 1970s rude boy [look] in there," she added. "And there are scenes from some international, global-print inspirations as well. There were some old vintage men's kimonos that we got some of the prints from, and we always add in an animal print, so this time there was a mama cheetah and a baby cheetah. And just trims from India and stuff from Guatemala and stripes."

Gwen's favorites include a gold motorcycle jacket that was "a vintage coat that I had bought while I was pregnant and we copied the fabric." She also loves the cheetah print and the "high-heel jean."

"You can wear them tight or loose and with heels," she said. "They make you look really skinny. And I think the cheetah print will look good on anyone. It goes with everybody's personality. I always love an animal print."

Stefani said she still has fun with the collection and calls it her "art project."

"It's a no-brainer, fun thing to do compared to doing music, which is very emotional and hard," Stefani said. "That's the thing that weighs me down, but it also is the fire for everything. It's a draining, emotional process compared to designing, which is very greedy and easy."

Gwen's hubby, Gavin Rossdale, told MTV News he was "clearly very proud" of his wife's fashion work.

"From what I've seen, it's good," he said. "It's very stylish, and it's got lots of good attitude."

Gwen's baby, Kingston, was backstage during the show.

"The baby is amazing," Gwen said. "He just had his little food backstage, and now he's having a nap. It's bizarre how he fits in, and I didn't know how it was going to work out. He's just there, and it's just exciting to know that I can go around the corner and just kiss him if I need to. He's the most delicious thing you've ever experienced. It's like a three-dimensional amazing thing to my life."
    Originally posted by Thriller
    Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads
  • naughtynae
    Legend
    • 19 Aug 2006

Sounds cool, though i hate how she keeps mentioning using songs that didnt make the 1st album sounds lazy and im worried they wont be as good, though if its good music im cool

Comment

• Hype
      Legend
      • 08 May 2002

aawww ACE! SO glad there's a new album this year!
      CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Comment

• dcvs
        • 04 Mar 2006

wow! so excited! Her debut solo album was the BOMB!

My Music Blog

http://kevipodmusic.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Skelofect
          Legend
          • 04 Oct 2002

I love Gwen but releasing an album of songs that didn't make her first album sounds rather hmm odd.
          Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

• Tripped
            Superstar
            • 14 May 2006

We won't get it for ages I bet, but goodie anyway. The more Pharrell the better, they have excellent chemistry. But I wish Swizzbeats would **** off for a while.

Comment

• LoseMyBreath
              Manager
              • 29 Oct 2004

Whats happening with the No Doubt comeback then :-?

Comment

• Colin
                Legend
                • 05 Nov 2005

Originally posted by Skelofect
                I love Gwen but releasing an album of songs that didn't make her first album sounds rather hmm odd.
                Yes. And lazy.

There's a reason they didn't make LAMB in the first place...
                LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Comment

• Ahahuha
                  Legend
                  • 22 Feb 2006

Thats wrong
                  Gwen is the best

Comment

• grooveboy
                    Superstar
                    • 01 Feb 2005

Indeed. I don't wanna LAMB pt.2

Comment

• westhammer
                      Legend
                      • 10 Jul 2004

Originally posted by grooveboy
                      I agree, I want something fresh
                      You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• kushi
                        Legend
                        • 20 Oct 2005

The album is described as LAMB Part II...

1. This album won't have LAMB B-Sides, it will be a completely fresh album, with all new songs...

2. LAMB was different and new, so whatever she comes up with will be great!

MTV News also caught up with Swizz Beatz during Fashion Week, and he said he's working with Gwen too.
                        Come on now! This album is gunna be fire!

Comment

• Skelofect
                          Legend
                          • 04 Oct 2002

Originally posted by grooveboy
                          I don't either. LAMB was a good album in that it was very varied & of it's time...the prospect of another album like that doesn't excite me.

I have faith she wont go down the American Urban route though...as she's bonafide rock chick...and it's good it comes out now so as next year can be about the new No Doubt album.
                          Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

• illmaceyougood
                            • 08 Sep 2006

I'm so sick of Pharrell.

Comment

• Loose
                              Legend
                              • 17 Apr 2006

The album will be called Sweet Escape. It's already listed here.
                              It's a man's man's man's world.

Comment

• Tripped
                                Superstar
                                • 14 May 2006

Doesn't sound very HER :-?

Comment

• foxygraandpa
                                  Manager
                                  • 30 May 2006

Album features Pharrell, eve, Bush, Swiss beatsz, and lumidee

EDIT- was on wikipedia, but has been deleated, so guess it's not true.

Comment

• Loose
                                    Legend
                                    • 17 Apr 2006

Lumidee? Why should Gwen feature Lumidee?
                                    It's a man's man's man's world.

Comment

• kushi
                                      Legend
                                      • 20 Oct 2005

Stefani Gwen
                                      Sweet Escape

Noch nicht veröffentlicht: Erscheint am 05.12.2006
                                      Format: CD

Empfehlen Sie dieses Produkt weiter
                                      CHF 18.90

Comment

• Star
                                        Legend
                                        • 04 Aug 2006

Any news on the new single?

Comment

Working...