Britney Spears - Blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Blackout’s cover is actually cool. Bizarre, chaotic, enigmatic and somehow iconic and distinctive.
    The album is great but the cover and photo shoot were terrible, she looks sad and uncomfortable in every picture. Plus the shake n go wig was a choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

The album is great but the cover and photo shoot were terrible, she looks sad and uncomfortable in every picture. Plus the shake n go wig was a choice.
      Let’s agree on disagree
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• "Blackout" was added to the Rolling Stone' "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...out-2-1062792/

The pop queen vents all her raging party-girl hostility in Blackout — the weirdest, wildest music of her life. Blackout is her avant-disco concept album about fame, scandal, divorce, and dancing on tables in a cloud of glitter and Cheetos dust. “I’m Miss American Dream since I was 17,” Britney sneers in “Piece of Me,” with her voice warped into an electro-punk snarl. When she asks, “You want a piece of me?” she’s either pimping herself out or threatening to kick your ass. Either way, it’s Britney, bitch.

Comment

• Originally posted by matheusbelmont View Post
          "Blackout" was added to the Rolling Stone' "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...out-2-1062792/
          That’s huge! But why wouldn’t the Bible be included there?
          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• OMG yes! This is huge.

Glad for “Blackout” (it’s such a game-changing pop album).
            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Blackout by is getting a book written about it. It's the most recent LP to be selected for this prestigious series, only after My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and To Pimp a Butterfly.

A list of other female artists who have one:
              Joni Mitchel - Court and Spark
              PJ Harver - Rid Of Me
              Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love
              Pati Smith - Horses
              Aretha Franklin Amazing Grace
              Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
              Bjork - Homogenic
              Tori Amos- Boys for Pele
              Odetta - One Grain of Sand
              Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Bach
              Judy Garland - Judy at Carnegie Hall
              Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope

To Be Released:

Carole King - Tapestry
              Donna Summer - Once Upon A Time

Comment

• Blackout by is getting a book written about it. It's the most recent LP to be selected for this prestigious series, only after My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and To Pimp a Butterfly.

A list of other female artists who have one:
                Joni Mitchel - Court and Spark
                PJ Harver - Rid Of Me
                Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love
                Pati Smith - Horses
                Aretha Franklin Amazing Grace
                Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
                Bjork - Homogenic
                Tori Amos- Boys for Pele
                Odetta - One Grain of Sand
                Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Bach
                Judy Garland - Judy at Carnegie Hall
                Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope

To Be Released:

Carole King - Tapestry
                Donna Summer - Once Upon A Time

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Legendary and game changing pop album

Comment

• Danja’s words on Blackout:

”It’s like a foundation for what pop music is now and it’s a bible, it’s an encyclopedia, it’s whatever you want it to be to go back and reference, it set a bar so high that lets you know there’s no boundaries and no matter what if she comes back and does an album 5 years from now she already set a bar that lets you know she is limitless, she’s limitless with that album, she put herself 20 years ahead of everybody .. so that means she can 10 / 5 years from now come back and still pick up where she left off because she already set a bar with this music that is so wild and outrageous and just pushed every boundary that can be pushed that people still are struggling to meet it”

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Comment

• Just listened to the podcast and it was very interesting! I love how they praised Britney's work ethic and the impact the album has had.

Also I wanna hear Britney's version of "See My Side" (what they managed to record) and Theresa LaBarbera-Whites is an angel.

Some of my favorite quotes that weren’t posted here:

"For me it was just that - how are we gonna take the Pop Princess or the Pop Queen and put a little mud on her. How's she gonna pull that off?" - Danja

"Blackout was a dark and dance-heavy risk that paid off. It foreshadowed a boom for clubby EDM-infused pop that produced super producers like Skrillex and Zedd, and popstars like Lady Gaga and Kesha." - Brittany Spanos

"This is the most punk pop album ever made!" - Coco Morier

"It's still very influential and I think you can still hear it in pop music and I think it was the first time, for me, with BRITNEY being the artist of my generation, where someone went a completely different direction and went dark and dirty and wasn’t afraid to go there." - Kim Petras

"She was just this sweet woman who would do anything you asked of her in terms of her craft and art. If you asked her to sing it a million times she would do it. She just wanted it to be right." - Kara DioGuardi
                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• ^ And the best part .. Britney herself came out with the “It’s Britney Bitch” line

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

"It's still very influential and I think you can still hear it in pop music and I think it was the first time, for me, with BRITNEY being the artist of my generation, where someone went a completely different direction and went dark and dirty and wasn’t afraid to go there." - Kim Petras
                              The thing is, I never felt that was true. Blackout is different to ITZ but it felt like such an organic progression and felt so ridiculous familiar because all of it was 100% Britney. Gimme More left like exactly what she should have released after Toxic and My Prerogative.

Danja seems to get the credit but Blackout really is as much Bloodshy & Avant’s work too, and because both had success pre-Blackout, you can sort of see how pop music arrived at Blackout.

Not only from Britney’s previous work, but you can hear the influences in songs like ‘Sweet Dreams My LA Ex’ (written by Cathy Dennis) or Kylie’s ‘Speakerphone’ - there’s a shared ‘sharpness’ to the production (on the beat) that you can hear in songs like Piece of Me and Freakshow.

Then of course you have Danja who co-produced SexyBack and then Gimme More - I can’t be the only one who always thought those songs perfectly complimented each other? I always felt like they were the male and female sides of the same coin.

But if I’m honest, as a fan of music I really feel like this ‘dark and dirty’ vibe stems mostly from Don’t Cha by PCDs in 2005.

I’m not trying to discount Blackout or it’s influence, but back in 2007 it didn’t feel out of place. It didn’t necessarily feel like something new and influential. It just felt like the perfect album at the perfect time.

Though I remember the mess that was the pre-release leaks. We could easily get Blackout - Part II one day
                              Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• “Blackout” was stunning and innovative.

It’s probably the only album she’s done by being on her own, being her own self as a person and without any original member of her team or family in the picture. By the time she did “Blackout” she had cut off ties with her entire family and had fired Larry Rudolph (so this is Britney’s only album that was produced without Larry Rudolph on the picture), she was the sole executive producer of the record and it was basically just Britney trying to find her sound and make good long lasting pop music.

Did she even have a proper manager at the time? I know Sam Lufti often auto-proclaims himself as her “manager” at the time but in reality it seems like he was just a friend-assistant kind of guy who belonged to Britney’s inner circle back then.

Anyways this was her only album where she was the boss of her own project.
                                Last edited by MrLeonix; Tue November 30, 2021, 16:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X