X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah Carey - Slipping Away

wow

have you guys heard this track??

today is the first time i have ever heard it! i don't get why it was made and never put on an album!! it should have been a single i think!

if you know anything more about it please say!

also for those of you who are just hearing it for the first time like me please say what you thought,

[she singings a lil' bit live then the MP3 starts]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsciEfHEwTI
    Blu Cantrell - "S.O.S." (Tell Me Where You At)

the only thing i can say it's that it was a b-side on the "Always be my baby" US Single and i also love it, one of her best b-sides!
    Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

Originally posted by AutomaticBR
      the only thing i can say it's that it was a b-side on the "Always be my baby" US Single and i also love it, one of her best b-sides!
      thanks for telling me that! i never knew it was a b-side..i only got into Mariah in 2005 and since then I’ve managed to get all her albums and it's easy to see why she is such a big star and a lasting one,

but if there is any other songs that haven’t been on albums that maybe i might not have heard yet could you maybe list them if you know of any (or anyone else) thanks ;)

Comment

Hiya, "Slipping Away" was left off 'Daydream' in 1995 because it was seen as too urban, and they wanted more pop songs. It was produced by Dave "Jam" Hall, who has produced a few other album tracks for her like "Long Ago", as well as for Madonna, Mary J Blige & others.

And you said you were looking for some more rarities and unreleased tracks?? It's good that you've got all her albums so you know her released material. Now the unreleased tracks will slot into place better as you know how her sound changes through time.

The rarities I'd suggest are:

1. "Weakness Of The Body", a demo she recorded in 1986 so Brenda K Starr could decide if she wanted the song. For the first half, Mariah mimics her voice.

2. "Do You Think of Me", A leftover from Music Box', again because it was too urban sounding. I heard it was also offered to Toni Braxton & turned down. Interestingly, it does sound like early Toni Braxton & she did release an album the same year. It was used as a b-side for a single but I can't remember which. Maybe "Hero" or "Anytime You Need a Friend".

3. "There For Me", a track written by Diane Warren left off 'Rainbow', was then supposed to be used on 'Glitter', but was left off that too.

4. "Secret Love", produced by Swizz Beats, left off the Emancipation album, and a b-side for "Shake It Off".

5. "With You I'm Born Again" featuring John Legend, a cover they performed live at the Hurricane Katrina concert.

Also you can't forget her remixes, she has a whole remix album. But my faves are "Make It Last (Thank God I Found You Remix)" feat. Joe & Nas, and "Pure Imagination (I Still Believe Remix).

Hope some of that helps

Comment

I hate the term "too urban" not blaming you firefly, I just think the label is so stupid for saying ish like that. She's clearly an urban artist. Let her record what she wants to.
          WHAT HAPPENED TO UKMIX ???
          All the Fighting and Arguments are getting old now, lets get back to talking about the MUSIC

Comment

Originally posted by firefly_86
            Hiya, "Slipping Away" was left off 'Daydream' in 1995 because it was seen as too urban, and they wanted more pop songs. It was produced by Dave "Jam" Hall, who has produced a few other album tracks for her like "Long Ago", as well as for Madonna, Mary J Blige & others.

And you said you were looking for some more rarities and unreleased tracks?? It's good that you've got all her albums so you know her released material. Now the unreleased tracks will slot into place better as you know how her sound changes through time.

The rarities I'd suggest are:

1. "Weakness Of The Body", a demo she recorded in 1986 so Brenda K Starr could decide if she wanted the song. For the first half, Mariah mimics her voice.

2. "Do You Think of Me", A leftover from Music Box', again because it was too urban sounding. I heard it was also offered to Toni Braxton & turned down. Interestingly, it does sound like early Toni Braxton & she did release an album the same year. It was used as a b-side for a single but I can't remember which. Maybe "Hero" or "Anytime You Need a Friend".

3. "There For Me", a track written by Diane Warren left off 'Rainbow', was then supposed to be used on 'Glitter', but was left off that too.

4. "Secret Love", produced by Swizz Beats, left off the Emancipation album, and a b-side for "Shake It Off".

5. "With You I'm Born Again" featuring John Legend, a cover they performed live at the Hurricane Katrina concert.

Also you can't forget her remixes, she has a whole remix album. But my faves are "Make It Last (Thank God I Found You Remix)" feat. Joe & Nas, and "Pure Imagination (I Still Believe Remix).

Hope some of that helps
            thanks for all the info!

but can't believe they left it off i mean it's a great track, also i never knew that about "Do You Think of Me" so thanks for the info for that track too,

all they other tracks i had, and i also have the remix albums but thanks for explaining each song i never knew anything about them..till now thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by Breathe
              thanks for telling me that! i never knew it was a b-side..i only got into Mariah in 2005 and since then I’ve managed to get all her albums and it's easy to see why she is such a big star and a lasting one,

but if there is any other songs that haven’t been on albums that maybe i might not have heard yet could you maybe list them if you know of any (or anyone else) thanks ;)
              Do you think of me - from "Dreamlover" single
              Everything fades away - from "Hero" single
              Heroé - "Hero" spanish version
              El amor que soñe - "Open arms" spanish version
              Mi todo - "My all" spanish version
              There for me - from "Never too far/Hero Medley" single
              There goes my heart - from "Charmbracelet" Tour Edition
              Sprung - from the Japanase/UK edition of TEOM and ILT French single
              Secret love - from "GYN/SIO" single

i think those are all of her bsides... i wish she had released more :evil:

TGMH is one of my fave Mariah songs EVER!
              Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

Do you think of me - from "Dreamlover" single
                Everything fades away - from "Hero" single
                Heroé - "Hero" spanish version
                El amor que soñe - "Open arms" spanish version
                Mi todo - "My all" spanish version
                There for me - from "Never too far/Hero Medley" single
                There goes my heart - from "Charmbracelet" Tour Edition
                Sprung - from the Japanase/UK edition of TEOM and ILT French single
                Secret love - from "GYN/SIO" single

i think those are all of her bsides... i wish she had released more :evil:

TGMH is one of my fave Mariah songs EVER!
                i never heard "Everything Fades Away" any chance of an upload?

and i'm really liking, "Weakmess of The Body"

its great also

Comment

Re: Mariah Carey - Slipping Away

Originally posted by Breathe
                  wow

have you guys heard this track??

today is the first time i have ever heard it! i don't get why it was made and never put on an album!! it should have been a single i think!

if you know anything more about it please say!

also for those of you who are just hearing it for the first time like me please say what you thought,

[she singings a lil' bit live then the MP3 starts]
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsciEfHEwTI
                  nope havent hear it yet,sounds intresting.
                  When i Come on this forum step aside.Oh Snap.

Comment

argh!! I can't believe I forgot There Goes My Heart! One of my favourties too, leaving THAT off the album was a stupid decision. You can tell she blatantly re-uses the riffs on Fly Like A Bird though.

And I forgot to mention Everything Fades Away too because my copy of Music Box has it as a bonus track.

Comment

oh my god! slipping away is AMAZING. something that she could have made just recently. can't believe that this was recorded during the daydream era.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyds
                        oh my god! slipping away is AMAZING. something that she could have made just recently. can't believe that this was recorded during the daydream era.
                        I said the same thing too, WOW. this song is shockingly amazing. I'm so glad that you guys have informed me of this tune. It shoulda been on a later album, that whole leaving it off cuz it's too "urban" thing is bs imo. She's an R&B singer who's bi-racial (on the inside). I mean how much more "urban/black" can you get.
                        WHAT HAPPENED TO UKMIX ???
                        All the Fighting and Arguments are getting old now, lets get back to talking about the MUSIC

Comment

My computer got wiped and now I can't find these anywhere :( I really want "Slipping Away" in particular. I originally got them all from a fansite that seems to have disappeared :( any idea where I can find them again?

Comment

I like. Thanks for sharing!
                            Never knew it was a B-Side. Which country? I got the single of ABMB and it aint on there?

Thanks!
                            | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

The other songs Dave Hall produced for Mariah were "Dreamlover" and "Fantasy" I think, and I thought "Long Ago" was a JD production.

Anyway, "Slipping Away" is easily better than nearly all the tracks on "Daydream", so its a shame that it was left off, but in those days Columbia were still really positioning her as a POP artist, although the urban side of her was just about to break through to the mainstream (with the Fantasy remix).

The only other unreleased track that I can think of off the top of my head is "Miss You" from the Charmbracelet sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Troubledjack

The only other unreleased track that I can think of off the top of my head is "Miss You" from the Charmbracelet sessions.
                                That was included on the special UK edition (might have been a re-release though). I've got it on my copy.
                                "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

Originally posted by imissu_aaliyah
                                  Originally posted by robbyds
                                  I said the same thing too, WOW. this song is shockingly amazing. I'm so glad that you guys have informed me of this tune. It shoulda been on a later album, that whole leaving it off cuz it's too "urban" thing is bs imo. She's an R&B singer who's bi-racial (on the inside). I mean how much more "urban/black" can you get.
                                  yea but at the time this was made Tommy had the last decision, and he wanted Carey to be pop, he's the reason it was never put on the album,

Comment

very nice track!!
                                    a little bit different of marish's tyle of that season
                                    (1995)
                                    True love is hard to find!!

Comment

Amazing tune IMO, and lets not even get on to the topic of them trying to market her as a white pop princess
                                      NOT My GOODIES!!!

I'm not rude and I don't intend to me. I just speak the TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NUTHIN BUT THE TRUTH

Comment

Working...
                                      X