• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
    BOTH vocals are just insane
    It’s in the running for one of her best covers to me for this reason
    See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Bringing on the Heartbreak is easily the best cover she's ever done bc it's just insane what she did with it + rock-ballads are her forté... she's never sounded better. Even today, a cute rock song would suit her so well... she could sing any genre... i'd love a country song as well. MC16, Make It Happen.
      My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
        It’s in the running for one of her best covers to me for this reason
        For me too. Those vocals are out of this world, like , she's making her life harder with every sentence she sings
        Underneath The Stars

Comment

• Finally listened to this one.

It's good! Actually, really good! Why is this one so underrated / forgotten among fans?

Still think that Through the rain was the wrong first single choice when they had Yours or The One. TTR could've been released as the last single, to beautifully end the era.

Actually, I am really surprised by how good this album is. Love how Lullaby interpolates The Roof. Songs like Yours, My Saving Grace, You Had Your Chance are really great.

The only dull moments for me are I Only Wanted (sounds so out of place on this album) and Irresistible (I'm unsure with this one. It has good moments but feels too long and repetitive).
          Last edited by LotsOfLove; Thu August 1, 2019, 11:18.

Comment

• This album was her first one not to "chase the charts". I mean, it's a rebuilding stage of her tarnished brand but it's not as mainstream as her other albums. "Through the Rain" and "Boy (I Need You)" may both be an attempt to win back fans who abandoned her but the whole album is a solid effort, it's her most personal since Butterfly.

Comment

• TTR was the most contrived thing ever.
              Originally posted by beredy
              When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack View Post
                This album was her first one not to "chase the charts". I mean, it's a rebuilding stage of her tarnished brand but it's not as mainstream as her other albums. "Through the Rain" and "Boy (I Need You)" may both be an attempt to win back fans who abandoned her but the whole album is a solid effort, it's her most personal since Butterfly.
                It’s a great album indeed! And you clearly hear / realise how this album was the foundation of what later became Emancipation of Mimi!

I really appreciate and admire this album now after listening to it. Ordered my copy too.

Comment

• I remember reading such lukewarm reviews at the time, many critics griped about it being too middle-of-the-road, too obvious an attempt to win back her Adult Contemporary audience with bland ballads. When I finally heard it, I thought "Did we even hear the same album?" Because what I heard what was a continued development of MC's by-then-trademarked blend of hip-hop and pop, a new flirtation with jazzy vibes and her most introspective lyric since Butterfly. It is a more mature effort than its immediate predecessors, but there's only a couple tracks I'd label Adult Contemporary. I've heard some fans complain about the album's mastering, but the lack of studio gloss is part of its charm. It sounds like an album she did for herself and considering where she was at that time in her career, she probably did. An underrated treasure in her catalogue.
                  The sands of time fade into dark
                  Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                  A message to madness
                  Feel music that's realness

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
                    It’s a great album indeed! And you clearly hear / realise how this album was the foundation of what later became Emancipation of Mimi!

I really appreciate and admire this album now after listening to it. Ordered my copy too.
                    It's her last real personal album. I think she wanted to achieve that with Elusive Chanteuse, but the pushbacks and American Idol got in the way of her focus.

Comment

• Expectations were high but it turned out to be her least commercial album. This is her most striped down record and probably no one expected it after Glitter.
                      You ain't gotta break down,
                      YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueScorpion View Post
                        Expectations were high but it turned out to be her least commercial album. This is her most striped down record and probably no one expected it after Glitter.
                        I wouldn't say this album was stripped down, vocally it's immensely produced and layered, the "whisper upon whisper" layering was a huge pet peeve for fans when this came out.
                        It's one her finest lyrically though and I love how laid back and chill the whole album is. It's def. one of my fave albums from her.

Comment

• The only thing about this album I've never really warmed to is its cover. I just don't know what her expression is: she's not smiling, but she's not not smiling either. In not fully committing to a either smile or a more neutral expression, she landed in a strange netherworld where it just looks like she's trying not to fart. Save for the campy pigtails pic, literally any other image in the album art would have worked better as a the cover.
                          A message to madness

Comment

• Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
                            The only thing about this album I've never really warmed to is its cover. I just don't know what her expression is: she's not smiling, but she's not not smiling either. In not fully committing to a either smile or a more neutral expression, she landed in a strange netherworld where it just looks like she's trying not to fart. Save for the campy pigtails pic, literally any other image in the album art would have worked better as a the cover.
                            All her covers look like that. It just so happened that her mouth looked so weird on this one. If you notice, she never closes her mouth in all her album covers.

The special edition cover looked way better.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack View Post
                              If you notice, she never closes her mouth in all her album covers.
                              So true. I just checked and she never closes her mouth. And the expression isn't exactly a smile either.
                              She was kind of fragile and she had a lot to grapple with but basically she kept it all inside ...

Comment

• Originally posted by MrDash View Post
                                So true. I just checked and she never closes her mouth. And the expression isn't exactly a smile either.
                                She's today's Mona Lisa.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                  Bringing on the Heartbreak is easily the best cover she's ever done bc it's just insane what she did with it + rock-ballads are her forté... she's never sounded better. Even today, a cute rock song would suit her so well... she could sing any genre... i'd love a country song as well. MC16, Make It Happen.
                                  I've never thought of that before, but now that you say it...I'm very here for it!

Originally posted by GetBack View Post
                                  All her covers look like that. It just so happened that her mouth looked so weird on this one. If you notice, she never closes her mouth in all her album covers.

The special edition cover looked way better.
                                  She fully smiles on Emotions, Rainbow, Glitter, 2/3 of Memoirs, a soft smile for Music Box and a triumphant smize for Mimi. She's more neutral on the others. It's like she was going for the soft smile on Charmbracelet but really wanted to be neutral as well and ended up with this strange grimace that suggests she trying to try to smile at someone she loathes. You're right, that special edition is loads better
                                  A message to madness

Comment

• Album appreciation sees this back in iTunes top 10!
                                    See latest news on Reports, Infractions & Bans
                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• My all + after tonight + i only wanted

Comment

Working...
                                      X