Mariah Carey - Charmbracelet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GetBack
    Boy (I Need You) as a single was just.. :-?
    one of her best videos but one of her worst songs.. so crappy. even the original by cam'ron was pure shit.
    My Chart

Comment

This album got a bad deal. It's a really well written album, it's a shame that her voice was in such poor shape.

It's interesting how it set up TEOM though:

- The songs were so long, most of them almost 5 mins or more, she learned the lesson and the songs on TEOM were edited much better, more radio friendly and succinct.

- She experimented with live soul tracks on Subtle Invitation and There Goes My Heart which became the theme that ran throughout TEOM. In fact you can hear that she re-use the chords for There Goes My Heart after it was left off Charmbracelet for Fly Like A Bird.

- She's always talked about how the Charmbracelet tour re-trained her voice for TEOM, hence the 'Return of the Voice' campaign

Comment

If she sang the songs even with Memoirs vocals it could have become my fave album by her.

Comment

Originally posted by firefly_86
          - She experimented with live soul tracks on Subtle Invitation and There Goes My Heart which became the theme that ran throughout TEOM. In fact you can hear that she re-use the chords for There Goes My Heart after it was left off Charmbracelet for Fly Like A Bird.
          True! This was her transitioning phase that led to the themes in The Emancipation of Mimi.

Comment

Charmbracelet is an intimate, mood album: you have to be in the right mood to really enjoy it. And it's written like introspective diary entries so...you really have to be in the right mood.

I don't think her voice was that bad. After a year of not doing any kind of vocal exercises or serious singing, I'm surprised she sounded the way she did.

The vocals aren't dire but it's just meh...she just didn't sound like Mariah Carey on this album. From what I could tell, she didn't want to sound like herself either.

That said...Subtle Invitation and Bringin' On The Heartbreak are two of the best vocal performances of the '00s. Lullaby is probably the only song that would merit her singing in her quiet falsetto the entire song.

The lyrics are extremely well-written. And I love the production...

Individually, almost all the songs on the album are solid. Even the rejects, "Miss You" and "There Goes My Heart Again" aren't too shabby.

I don't know what she was thinking. Charmbracelet was not radio-friendly.

-----------------------------

What's with the sudden interest in Mariah's old albums?
            I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
            --Katy Perry

Comment

My ideal Charmbracelet album would have been like this. For me, it sounds so much better with only these tracks. Also, it would have been even better if we removed all of Jermaine's vocals in the songs.

Track listing
              1. Through the Rain
              2. The One
              3. Yours
              4. My Saving Grace
              5. You Had Your Chance
              6. Lullaby
              7. Subtle Invitation
              8. Bringin' on the Heartbreak
              9. Sunflowers for Alfred Roy
              10. There Goes My Heart

Bonus Tracks:
              11. I Only Wanted
              12. Clown

"Boy (I Need You)", "You Got Me", "Irresistible (Westside Connection)" and "Through the Rain" (Remix) should be the bonus new material for The Remixes alongside "I Know What You Want" and "Miss You".

Comment

I recently took off this album from my ipod I only kept You had you chance and Irresistable #unpopular opinion

Comment

I love it now, before I used to rank it as my worst, but I get to appreciate it when I read the lyrics as I listen to the songs. There are some songs though that pull the album's quality down.

Comment

"Lullaby" is one of my huge faves now!

Comment

Unfortunately CB is the worst mariah album for me.
                      My rank:

01- Through the rain 8/10
                      02- Boy i need you 2/10
                      03- The one 8/10
                      04- Yours 5/10
                      05- You got me 2/10
                      06- I only wanted 2/10
                      07- Clown 2/10
                      08- Saving grace 10/10
                      09- You had your chance 1/10
                      10- Lullaby 2/10
                      11- Irresistible 0/10
                      12- Subtle Invitation 0/10
                      13- Bringin' On the Heartbreak 1/10
                      14- Sunflowers for Alfred Roy 2/10
                      15- Through the rain remix 10/10
                      Every now and then I drown in thoughts of yesterday. And the fools' paradise that you blew away

Comment

Not u giving BOTH 1/10 tho...
                        P=MC2's Top 20
                        Originally posted by Merci
                        Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

I can never get into this album fully.

The only songs I use from this is My Saving Grace, I Only Wanted, Bringing on the Heartbreak and the remix of Through The Rain.

Comment

It's weird, because I LOVE IT! My favorite album of the 00's!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo
                              Criminal!!

Comment

This ties with "E=MC˛" as my third favourite MC album of the 00's.
                                Some people believe in God, I believe in music. Some people pray, I turn up the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Eamon
                                  Originally posted by Lorenzo
                                  Criminal!!
                                  Boy got 2/10

Comment

Boy deserves -10!!

Comment

This album as a whole is a bit weak but there are some truly great songs on it.

I find it strange how many people rate Sunflowers so lowly! That song gives me chills, I can unfortunately relate to it though so perhaps that's why I connect with it.

"The One" is one of the most hideously over-produced songs in history.

It could have been hot but by the time you get to the end it's all just a bunch of noise with Mariah shrieking in the background!
                                      Originally posted by Bsquared
                                      I hate to disagree with you @Dior because you are so handsome.

Comment

Some good but I pass on the majority of the album.... I like "Through The Rain" and the one that gets disliked, "Boy (I Need You)".

Thank god she'd get back in the groove for the followup.

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack
                                          My ideal Charmbracelet album would have been like this. For me, it sounds so much better with only these tracks. Also, it would have been even better if we removed all of Jermaine's vocals in the songs.
                                          I would keep/cut the exact same tracks but I'd have them in a slightly different order. These few minor changes improve it massively.

Comment

Although Through The Rain and Bringin' On The Heartbreak are among my most favorite Mariah songs ever, the album as a whole is my least favorite.
                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

When this album came out I pretty much handed over my Lamb Card. I was so disappointed and sad at all the whispering and lack of ACTUAL SINGING in it that I just pretty much gave up on Mariah. I listened to it once or twice and put it away until a couple of years ago when I rediscovered some nice hidden gems such as Subtle Invitation and Lullaby. I always loved Boy (I need you) and I remember watching the Making of the video on MTV like a million times. Through the Rain does nothing to me :-?

My rank:

01- Through the rain 7/10
                                              02- Boy i need you 100/10 I love this song and the video is the best!
                                              03- The one 9/10
                                              04- Yours 6/10
                                              05- You got me 1/10
                                              06- I only wanted 4/10
                                              07- Clown 1/10
                                              08- Saving grace 5/10
                                              09- You had your chance 1/10
                                              10- Lullaby 8/10
                                              11- Irresistible 1/10
                                              12- Subtle Invitation 10/10
                                              13- Bringin' On the Heartbreak 8/10
                                              14- Sunflowers for Alfred Roy 5/10
                                              15- Through the rain remix 1/10
                                              MARIAH

Comment

Boy (I Need You) is so crap. I'm surprised it's actually someone's favourite on this album.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad
                                                  Boy (I Need You) is so crap. I'm surprised it's actually someone's favourite on this album.
                                                  Yeah it is. I think it is her most forgettable track ever.

Comment

01. Through the Rain - 9/10
                                                    02. Boy (I Need You) - 2/10
                                                    03. The One - 8/10
                                                    04. Yours - 10/10
                                                    05. You Got Me - 1/10
                                                    06. I Only Wanted - 2/10
                                                    07. Clown - 10/10
                                                    08. My Saving Grace - 10/10
                                                    09. You Had Your Chance - 7/10
                                                    10. Lullaby - 8/10
                                                    11. Irresistible - 6/10
                                                    12. Subtle Invitation - 9/10
                                                    13. Bringin' on the Heartbreak - 10/10
                                                    14. Sunflowers for Alfred Roy - 9/10
                                                    15. Through the Rain (Remix) - 10/10

Comment

Working...
                                                    X