• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheRealest
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmyOfMe
    Originally posted by Pawlu84
    The problem with this album is her voice, if she sang it well it would have been one of her very best.
    I love her singing style on this. It's what makes the album so dope to me.
    I actually feel the same way now...

And Boy (I Need You) >>> The One...

Boy was a good single choice at the time, people just weren't feeling Mariah.

Leave a comment:

• DAYUM
    replied
    The One is a great tune. Lyrically, I really like it.

Leave a comment:

• MCUK
    replied
    Never got the love for The One. I was glad when they changed their minds and released Boy instead of it as a single.

Yours, Lullaby and Subtle Invitation are my favourites from this. Recently mind My Saving Grace has started coming for them.

Leave a comment:

• DAYUM
    replied
    The One, I Only Wanted and Subtle Invitation >>>

Those three tracks are 3 of her best songs on this millenium imo.

There Goes My Heart is also one of my fave hidden Mariah gems. Those raspy belts are givin' me LIFE!

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlu84
    The problem with this album is her voice, if she sang it well it would have been one of her very best.
    I love her singing style on this. It's what makes the album so dope to me.

Leave a comment:

• Pawlu84
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    It's not that great but it's not as terrible as some people make it to be.
    Through The Rain
    I Only Wanted
    Lullaby
    Subtle Invitation
    Bringin' On The Heartbreak
    are all great.

Leave a comment:

• Controlfreak
    replied
    This album is an underrated gem.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    This was released a year after Glitter. If this was released 3-4 years after, people would have warmed up to the album. It's a solid album lyrically. It's weird that her next album was about her 'emancipation' when she barely talked about her struggles in life and love in that album. This album encapsulates the theme of being free from pain and struggles more than her next album.

Leave a comment:

• DOSSOME
    replied
    not a bad album...it has its moments but I don't always feel like listening to it.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    The album booklet was her last great one. I love her natural look here, all her album booklets were megaphotoshopped since.

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    I grew to love this album... There's not a song here that I don't like.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    The best songs here are:

Through the Rain
    The One
    Yours
    Lullaby
    Bringin' On the Heartbreak

Leave a comment:

• intosoul
    replied
    Too much filler, weak vocals, boring overall.

Through The Rain and Bringin' On The Heartbreak are two of her best songs doe.

Leave a comment:

• musiclover2174
    replied
    An underrated record. I love Through the Rain, Boy, The One, My Saving Grace, I Only Wanted, Clown. Some lambs may see it as her worst album but IMO, this is better than most of today's artists best albums.

Leave a comment:

• SawyerHewitt
    replied
    I love Charmbracelet.
    It's a gem and it gots My saving grace and the ultra baby-making smash You got me.
    Mixing's terrible on the record, tho.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    There's actually not a single song I dislike in this album and I think it's better than TEOM
    It's a transitional album, of course, but it gets way too much hate among fans (just like MOAIA).

Leave a comment:

• ultralamb2000
    replied
    I listened to Charmbracelet again but I can't get to like it any more and I still prefer Glitter over this...

Leave a comment:

• AlmondBreeze
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney
    The only thing this album was good for was setting my expectations for her next album at basement level only to be blown away by The Emancipation of Mimi.
    Yas! Too true. I was so disappointed when this came out. I was like "why is she singing like Dido"? Also, this was the album when she became Screech-riah in her upper register. TTR was the first time I started grimacing when she belted the high notes - so much so that it was almost a relief that she was Dido-riah for most of the album. I actually thought at the time that she was trying to purposely change her sound so that it would make it easier for her to sing her songs live in the future.

Having said that, I went to the CB London concert with subterranean expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied

01 Through the Rain
    02 Bringin' On the Heartbreak
    03 Yours
    04 The One
    05 I Only Wanted
    06 You Had Your Chance
    07 Lullaby
    08 Subtle Invitation
    09 There Goes My Heart
    10 Sunflowers for Alfred Roy
    11 My Saving Grace

I've played this a lot of times and I think that this should have been the final track listing. "Through the Rain" should have been the first single followed by "Bringin' On the Heartbreak". "The One" should be the third single and "I Only Wanted" can be a promo fourth single.

Leave a comment:

• leoapp
    replied
    This album is overall not her best, but not bad. I rank this over the overrated, Butterfly, Emotions and Glitter (the bottom 3), cos i generally still like most of the album tracks.

Well, too much layers on vocals --> I agree
    This album contains just a few of average songs, the boring one Lullaby, poor remix of Through The Rain as well unlistenable one, the bonus track Gotta Thing 4 U
    But, this album also has many highlights!
    Through The Rain is among my top 3 all time fave songs from Mariah! My anthem. The vocal is not that wow, but suitbale enough with this song. Her whisper-ish vocal weirdly makes this song more interesting and personal.
    Boy (I Need You), a very weird song, but it's quite catchy! And the music video really helps like like this song even more. One of her best videos!
    Bringin' On The Heartbreak, a haunting cover, much better than the original. The final whistle note is epic!
    Sunflowers For Alfred Roy is so charming and peaceful! Surprised that so many fans hate this one!
    I Only Wanted, is among my all time fave non singles from her, Really like her Latin sound just like After Tonight, and of course My All
    The One is very interesting, slow but catchy at the same time
    My Saving Grace and Yours, both have amazing vocal!

Leave a comment:

• Lamhe
    replied
    A very cohesive album.

Brilliant lyrics.

A balanced mix of maturity and fun.

Too much layers on vocals. Ugh, it would take forever for a casual listener to even like this album cos of that.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyOfMe
    replied
    Poor Charm! It just doesn't show its beauty on first listen, but it's a beautiful album. I prefer her when she sings something odd than cliché ballads or cheap dance tracks like in Musicbox.

Leave a comment:

• ultralamb2000
    replied
    Through The Rain - 8.5/10
    Boy (I Need You) - 5.5/10
    The One - 6/10
    Yours - 7.5/10
    You Got Me - 5/10
    I Only Wanted - 8/10
    Clown - 7/10
    My Saving Grace - 7/10
    You Had Your Chance - 7/10
    Lullaby - 6/10
    Irresistible - 5/10
    Subtle Invitation - 6.5/10
    Bringin' On The Heartbreak - 7.5/10
    Sunflowers For Alfred Roy - 6.5/10
    Through The Rain (Remix) - 2/10

Average - 6.4/10

My thoughts on Charmbracelet:

- Her voice is too airy and raspy here, but is not as bad on some songs
    - Although her belting is strong/high, it sounds forced
    - The production is a bit hit and miss - good on some, bad on others
    - Through The Rain (Remix) is the most horrific song she has ever recorded
    - You Got Me and Boy (I Need You) have too much rap, especially You Got Me
    - You Got Me, B(INY) and Irresistible are quite annoying

Leave a comment:

• MsWeiss
    replied
    This will never be my all time favorite Mariah album (Emancipation, Butterfly & Me I Am Mariah battle that one out)

but it will always be in the top 5 for me. Fans and critics alike completely dismiss it, but aside from Butterfly, I think this is her most vulnerable record. For the time of it's release, the music just didn't mesh with what was popular. But unlike so much early 00s music, Charmbracelet actually has grown really beautifully.

I adore it. Subtle Invitation is where I see her music in 15 years. Jazzy, melismatic, mature and powerful.

I even grew to love Irresistible! I used to DESPISE that song, and then I listened to it with a fresh mindset, and I love it! Not a single song on the album I dislike.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X