• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natalie Imbruglia - Glorious: The Singles 97-07

From a very disappointed fan:

5 stars for Natalie's past singles.
    1 star for the 5 new tracks.

Glorious is obviously an example of music industry's loudness war (tracks produced by progressively increasing levels of loudness to create a sound that stands out from others).

The new tracks are so really terribly horrible (except Be With You). I noticed that:

1. her voice is polished so badly in the new tracks;

2. the quality of the production of the new tracks is sub-standard- at times, her voice sounds 'broken' and 'clipped', as a result of loudness war which results in distortion of sound quality. There are lots 'hissing' sound along the tracks.

3. the other 4 new tracks are produced by Ben Hillier. The production line is really 'lazy'- musically, all the guitar/ drum lines sound the same and are indeed repetitive. Clearly, there isn't any highlight in the chorus or the bridge.

Obviously she has no idea what is she doing if THIS is the direction she is heading for her 4th album. Relying on a retired producer like Ben Hillier for producing all the tracks is a catastopher. Having been a Natalie's fan for the past 10 years, I am sad to realize that her new stuff don't and perhaps will not evoke any interest in me anymore.

While this album is actually better than many pop albums out there (like Natasha Bedingfield's, or Girls Aloud's), this album is well under-sold. Natalie usually delivers high quality music and songs. She probably has one of the best and memorable voice in the industry. Yet everyone will expect her to come back with, err, another Torn. Love it or hate it. Though Natalie might object to this, but her new stuff is nowhere near as good as any singles released from her first album Left of the Middle. I hope Nat has realized this.

It will be very difficult for her to pull it off for her 4th album considering that this Greatest Hits album is now well under-sold. I hope Natalie is smart enough to pick good producers like Phil Thornalley and Nigel Godrich (who produced her Left of the Middle album). Good luck girl.
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%

Just because they are releasing a GH album doesn't mean they aren't still working on a studio album.

Comment

Re: Natalie Imbruglia - Glorious: The Singles (Greatest Hits

Originally posted by mdp00cgl
      Don't you guys think it is so funny when an artist release a GREATEST HITS album, when her only-known hit is non other than Torn?
      I think that's a bit extreme, Big Mistake was was a big hit and Wrong Impression and Shiver were massive on airplay!

It'll be nice to have all her singles on one compilation, although I'm still looking forward to a new studio album!
      So when I speak, listen

Comment

She is def releasing a 4th album, which will follow the greateast hits. Natalie is featured in the top 10 of Billboards most anticipated new album releases.

I love smoke, such a beautiful song...

Comment

I will defo buy this! She has heaps of good singles!!
          CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Comment

Re: Natalie Imbruglia - Glorious: The Singles (Greatest Hits

Glorious will be released on 08/27/2007.

Comment

If this gets a proper release here in Brazil, definitely YES.

Comment

There's another new song, making it a 12-track CD.

I hope they add in Identify too and make it a CD+DVD.

Definitely, Natalie's a goddess.

By the way, Big Mistake, Wrong Impression and Shiver were big too.
                Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
                Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

Originally posted by Hype
                  I will defo buy this! She has heaps of good singles!!
                  Me too.

I've always liked her singles, but have never been keen enough to buy her albums. It'll be nice to have all her hits on one CD.
                  "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

I love Natalie. I would buy this defintley her songs are awesome.
                    '... Music Make you Lose Control, Banging On Your Speakerphone Track Repeat Go On & On'

Comment

Fab news! Definitely getting this one.
                      LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Comment

Originally posted by col89
                        Fab news! Definitely getting this one.
                        Ditto.

Comment

It's a must have for me, I love all of her songs

Comment

Just Booked:

Frank Borin: Natalie Imbruglia

Natalie Imbruglia's new video synopsis:

The video is inspired by the movie Y Tu Mama Tambien and will follow Natalie and friends on a roadtrip through Mexico.

This video will be directed by Frank Borin who is based in Hollywood, CA.

Comment

i love natalie, but i already own those songs, so she is going to have to come up with a better track listing than that if she wants my hard-earned cash!
                              http://navelgazing101.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBass
                                i love natalie, but i already own those songs, so she is going to have to come up with a better track listing than that if she wants my hard-earned cash!
                                Plus that now we both have to get the import CD that costs so much more. So besides a better tracklisting, she needs to bring this album to America.

Comment

Will be a nice reminder for general public of Nat in time for the new album.

But then considering studio albums that follow up greatest hits almost always underperform, is it such a good idea? The general public will buy the best of (prob in a pre Xmas sale) and leave the new album to the fans - hence it'll have a chart run something like 5-32-70-X on really low sales.

If they did a 2CD of the best-of with a bonus disc of bsides, unreleased stuff and live tracks, at least the fans would wanna buy it.

Still, I like Nat, hope she does well.
                                  Mummy, mummy, it's the Gods!

Comment

probably I wouldn't buy it
                                    anyway, I quite like Natalie

Comment

This is the most immortally bad idea in the history of Pop Music. Releasing a GH after 9 singles? She will be PANNED by the press and probably wont sell many copies either.

Comment

This is rubbish! I like Natalie but I didn't think she'd fall for the GH trick after just 3 albums. It's pathetic - especially since she's already working on a new album. What really is the point? :-?
                                        i know love doesn't change a thing

Comment

Wheter this sells or flops, this would be a lesson for her, that releasing ONLY 2 singles from a No.1 album isn't the brightest way to be in a music industry.

Record company wants to release this album because she didn't sell enough for the past 2 albums and they really hope that while this is released, Torn will do a come back on the radio and perhaps make the public buy her Counting Down the Days for 1.99 at the trash corner.

Comment

Still can't beat Mis-teeq's record of 8 singles and 2 albums before a Greatest Hits lol. I agree it's a waste but I also think she's one of those people mother's and people who like easy-listening music would buy a Greatest Hits album from. My personal favourites would be Wrong Impression and Counting Down The Days.

Comment

Apparently, Loiuse Redknapp is the back-up singer in Glorious!!

What's the connection?

Comment

Most likely yes.
                                                Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mdp00cgl
                                                  Apparently, Loiuse Redknapp is the back-up singer in Glorious!!

What's the connection?
                                                  Both flopping stars.
                                                  LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Comment

Working...
                                                  X