Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

This will be Nightwish's first album with the new vocalist Anette. It's released in September this year.

1. The Poet And The Pendulum
    2. Bye Bye Beautiful
    3. Amaranth
    4. Cadence Of Her Last Breath
    5. Master Passion Greed
    6. Eva
    7. Sahara
    8. Whoever Brings The Night
    9. For The Heart I Once Had
    10. The Islander
    11. Last Of The Wilds
    12. 7 Days To The Wolves
    13. Meadows Of Heaven

There are previews of Amaranth, Master Passion Greed and 7 Days To The Wolves on their official MySpaz, and While Your Lips Are Still Red - a bonus track - can be found here.

I think it all sounds rather marvellous.
    The alternative to the real world.

An awesome cover, IMO.

First of all, I got to say that it has taken me a while to get used to Anette's voice. I've always associated Nightwish so strongly with Tarja's classical voice... Nightwish definitely sounds different now, but I'm almost certain that I'll buy their album nevertheless. Just out of curiosity. Of course it's a plus if they still sound good.

Well, Eva has definitely grown on me over these past few weeks - I just love that song. Amaranth sounds very catchy - and I think it's a brilliant choice for a second single. 7 Days To The Wolves sounds nice too. I'm not too fond of Master Passion Greed on first listen - but it might grow on me later. While Your Lips Are Still Red is a very hypnotizing track, in my opinion (in a good sense).

So, overall, I'm very much anticipating this album. Let's hope it's consistently a good album - with many highlights throughout the album.

Comment

Amaranth is good.
      Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

A little whisper for the 2 people who are actually interested...

Some tracks have leaked on YouTube. Bye Bye Beautiful is incredible.

That is all.

Comment

I think both Eva and Amaranth are great. Eva took some time but Amaranth is instantly catchy.

I like Annete's voice. Maybe because I enjoyed Tarja when her voice was more toned down. Can't wait for the album. Although it's hard to resist when the songs just keep leaking.

Comment

Anyone already listened to it? I think it's great and the new singer can replace Tarja in an appropriate way.
            I absolutely love "Whoever brings the night" "Bye bye beautiful" and "Meadows of heaven"
            Negative aspect is that I'm reminded of Within Temptation at some points of the album o.O
            Music is the blood in my veins

Feel free to add me to your friends list :-)

Comment

"Bye bye beautiful" isn't good and i hope it's the worst song on the album.

Also i heard "Sleepin sun" singing by Anette :-? terrible :x she shouldn't touch any song sung by Tarja... -> http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/sa ... ingSun.flv
              VOTE IN RETRO CHART!

Comment

I've pre-ordered the album from my local HMV and will be picking it up on Tuesday.

Should be good.

Comment

I'm surprised that with all the fuss around "Amaranth" in rock chart, this thread died so long ago

what I want to ask.. is NOBODY actually bothered that new chick's voice sounds awfully not only compared to Tarja's but jus awfully? :-? she has no singing talent, no STYLE, not even proper clothes or smth. She makes even Amy Lee look talented.
                  this is not Nightwish as it should be, it's a pale shade of any female led goth-oriented band there is. They used lead the pack of Within Temptation, Evanescence, Lacuna Coil.. now they're merely trying to follow in their steps

this is the worst singer replacement since Amelle replaced Mutya

you can tear me apart now
                  for some reason... I'm here

Comment

OMG Let me guess.. You've read too many comments from youtube and decided to post the same here.. Actually I'm already bored, tired of them and they make me vomit Of course I totally disagree with them because the new singer is GREAT!

First of all, she's NOT awful, I love her voice and her clothes are cool too Well Tarja is talented, good singer etc but...I'm not fond of her voice, it's not what I really like to listen to.. While Anette's is!

I liked Nightwish previous singles: "Nemo", "Sleeping Sun", "Ever Dream" etc.. but after hearing them I never thought of listening to the whole album.. mainly because of the vocals. This was the first time I downloaded their album and really liked sth from it! Thanks mostly to the new singer I guess I could say something else but Tarja's fans would kill me

Now I like Nightwish more than ever!

I'm sick of the comparison between Tarja and Anette so I'm not going to intervene in this stupid discussion anymore.

Btw Amy Lee sings good too! Not everyone could sing like her, you should admit that!
                    Never gonna give it up,
                    I never wanna stop...

Comment

well, thanks a lot, Jas
                      surely, I spend my days reading comments on youtube
                      mature conversation, eh?

Comment

I've always prefered Tarja's voice to Anette's but miss Olzon got also good voice and she uses it very good.

Dark Passion Play isn't my fav album of Nightwish but it's a very good Cd with many amazing songs. Have you listened to them all Misha?

And they're not goth band! They're mix of symphonic metal, power metal and opera metal and that's a difference
                        VOTE IN RETRO CHART!

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatin
                          well, thanks a lot, Jas
                          surely, I spend my days reading comments on youtube
                          mature conversation, eh?
                          Well you watch videos from youtube, don't deny it
                          It doesn't take much time to read several sentences below the video
                          Never gonna give it up,
                          I never wanna stop...

Comment

IMO, Nightwish has never been about the singer - the leading figure of Nightwish wasn't Tarja, it isn't Anette - it is Tuomas Holopainen and the guys. If you listen to their new album (all the way through - starting from The Poet And The Pendulum), you notice that their music is pretty much the same as the music on their previous albums - only the vocals sound different. Of course, they've combined more pop elements into their music, IMO, than before. But it's still the same Nightwish, if you know what I mean? And that's why I still like them.

Comment

Originally posted by StarQuality
                              IMO, Nightwish has never been about the singer - the leading figure of Nightwish wasn't Tarja, it isn't Anette - it is Tuomas Holopainen and the guys.
                              I agree with Tiina about this. I've liked their music before, well I haven't heard full albums, but most of the singles and some more songs. Just that the singer's voice is always very important and makes a lot of influence to me, now I like them even more.. This is just a matter of taste

Tarja's fans please don't read this:
                              If they recorded old songs with Anette, I'd download all their singles and non singles..
                              Never gonna give it up,
                              I never wanna stop...

Comment

well, I guess what I used to like about Nightwish is very different to what you, girls, like about them honestly I found both your opinions odd but it's a matter of taste

Comment

but it's a matter of taste
                                  Well at least there is one thing we can agree with
                                  Never gonna give it up,
                                  I never wanna stop...

Comment

Originally posted by Jasmine
                                    Tarja's fans please don't read this:
                                    If they recorded old songs with Anette, I'd download all their singles and non singles..
                                    Jas please don't do that they played old tracks on concerts but IMO Anette's voive is different than Tarja's (Tarja's voice is more an opera voice) and new versions of old tracks aren't good :-?

But if you want i can send you some tracks from previous albums (in original versions), some tracks you should like
                                    VOTE IN RETRO CHART!

Comment

Krzysztof I told you not to read
                                      Originally posted by chris975
                                      they played old tracks on concerts but IMO Anette's voive is different than Tarja's (Tarja's voice is more an opera voice) and new versions of old tracks aren't good :-?
                                      I heard these live concerts with Anette.. You see the main thing is I'm not really fond of opera voices... they are not for my ears.. I'll repeat again, it's just a matter of taste
                                      I'm only being honest, I like Anette more, but this is just my opinion and everyone can have different
                                      Never gonna give it up,
                                      I never wanna stop...

Comment

I'm only being honest, I like Anette more, but this is just my opinion and everyone can have different
                                        Yes i know. I prefer Tarja to Anette but i think that Anette's got also a good voice and NW's last album is really good
                                        VOTE IN RETRO CHART!

Comment

Ok, Tarja is a good singer, Anette is also a good singer, let's finish all this, shall we?

The most important: Nightwish is great!
                                          Never gonna give it up,
                                          I never wanna stop...

Comment

Nightwish is great!
                                            Oh yeah
                                            VOTE IN RETRO CHART!

Comment

well, I guess what I used to like about Nightwish is very different to what you, girls, like about them honestly I found both your opinions odd but it's a matter of taste
                                              Not odd at all when you think of the fact that Tuomas Holopainen is the mastermind behind Nightwish. He is the one who writes the songs, lyrics, etc. It is his project. Tarja wasn't given much creative space in Nightwish - it is only now that she's recorded her solo album that she's had some word to say when it comes to songwriting. And most of the new album was already recorded before they had even chosen the new singer. Edit: OK, I just read somewhere that they recorded Anette's vocals in 3 weeks and, according to Tuomas, that was plenty of time and that he's happy with the result - however, IMO it isn't an easy task to sing songs that you aren't used to singing. I think it was more of a case of "here, we've got a song for you, sing this." Having said that, I think Anette did a very good job under the given circumstances. There are many songs that sound great with Anette's voice (like Amaranth, Cadence Of Her Last Breath, etc.). But then, of course, there are songs that would have sounded better with a voice more similar to Tarja's (Poet And The Pendulum, Eva, etc.) That, of course, ruins the listening pleasure a bit, even for me. However, if you shift your focus from vocals to songs themselves and melodies, you notice that they actually are pretty good artistic creations. And that is what I love about Nightwish. I'm positive that Anette's vocals will sound better on the next album (i.e. fit the songs a bit better - I'm not saying that they sound bad now, I actually like Anette's vocals for the most part, just that when I listen to certain songs I wonder whether a voice more similar to Tarja's would have worked a bit better).
                                              01. She's had some experience with touring and singing with a band like Nightwish by then.
                                              02. Nightwish has a better idea of what works with Anette's voice.

Comment

Happy 10th anniversary to "Dark Passion Play"!

Still my favorite NW album after all these years. "Amaranth" remains brilliant <3

Comment

Happy 13th birthday to this amazing piece of work. Still among my most favorite albums of all time and the best Nightwish has ever done!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X