Mya - Fear Of Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mya - Fear Of Flying

Just bought my 1st Mya album. On first listen it's OK, some tracks are better than others. I thought the UK version had the most tracks but I'm missing out on these tracks below. If anybody has them I would be really grateful if you could send them to my PM. Thanks so much! I'll upload "Whatever Chick", "Case Of The Ex [Sovereign Remix]", "Free" & "That's Why I Wanna Fight" (tracks on UK edition)- if anyone doesn't have these bonus tracks

"No Tears On My Pillow"
    "Girls Like That"
    "Telephone Games"

I really would appreciate the tracks above (CD quality for iPod?)! Thank-you so much

[youtube:kn86qi65]NqanVHlCnyY[/youtube:kn86qi65]

This is your first Mya album? Well let me be the first to congratulate you on buying one of the finest commercial R&B albums of the past decade from one of the most talented females in the industry today.

Mya is quite simply amazing. This album was on another level. I actually thought Moodring was her strongest record because of how dark it was but this is a great starting point. 'Lie Detector' is a highlight that sticks out in my mind, as is 'That's Why I Wanna Fight', 'How You Gonna Tell Me?', 'Pussycats' and 'Again & Again'. Absolutely wicked album.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieFM
      This is your first Mya album? Well let me be the first to congratulate you on buying one of the finest commercial R&B albums of the past decade from one of the most talented females in the industry today.

Mya is quite simply amazing. This album was on another level. I actually thought Moodring was her strongest record because of how dark it was but this is a great starting point. 'Lie Detector' is a highlight that sticks out in my mind, as is 'That's Why I Wanna Fight', 'How You Gonna Tell Me?', 'Pussycats' and 'Again & Again'. Absolutely wicked album.
      Yeah I don't know why it took me so long. Oh well, I got it now! It sounded alright from 1st listen, but there's no doubt it'll grow! "Case Of The Ex" is so hot!

Do you have "No Tears On My Pillow", "Telephone Games" & "Girls Like That"? I've never heard them before but they might be really good tracks so if you ever come accross them please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Defintely sounds better from 2nd listen!

Comment

Woo! I love this album - definitely Mya's finest set. "Moodring" was good too, but it was a bit patchy in some places IMO.

I remember buying this in Hong Kong when it first came out, so I've only got the original US release.
          "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

Originally posted by gaz_uk
            Woo! I love this album - definitely Mya's finest set. "Moodring" was good too, but it was a bit patchy in some places IMO.

I remember buying this in Hong Kong when it first came out, so I've only got the original US release.
            Does the original US release include "No Tears On My Pillow" instead of "That's Why I Wanna Fight"? We could exchange if u have it?

Comment

^^^ My CD has both.
              "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

Originally posted by gaz_uk
                ^^^ My CD has both.
                Cool. I also see that "Again & Again" isn't on all editions, so do u have that one? I'll send it to you if you want

Comment

Nah, its all right. I'm not really too bothered, and I could always find it myself if I wanted to.

This is the tracklisting on my edition BTW:

01. Turn It Up (Intro)
                  02. Case Of The Ex
                  03. Ride & Shake
                  04. That's Why I Wanna Fight
                  05. Pussycats
                  06. The Best Of Me (with Jadakiss)
                  07. Lie Detector (with Beenie Man)
                  08. How You Gonna Tell Me
                  09. Grandma Says (Skit)
                  10. Takin' Me Over (with Left Eye)
                  11. Now Or Never
                  12. Fear Of Flying
                  13. Flying (Interlude)
                  14. Can't Believe
                  15. No Tears On My Pillow
                  16. For The First Time
                  17. Man In My Life
                  18. Get Over (Outro)

Hmmmm... Think I'm gonna give this CD a play later!

Comment

My fave album by her. Fear of Flying>>>>>

Comment

"Case of the Ex" is amazing! I love the choreography!

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack
                        Agreed. She was robbed of a #1 though

I like this album too, not as much as Moodring though.

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1

Yeah, I thought it would be #1 for a week though "Independed Women Part I" was so strong! :(

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1

Yeah, I thought it would be #1 for a week though "Independed Women Part I" was so strong! :(
                            It could've been if Case of the Ex scanned 50K or more during that week

Comment

Happy Birthday Fear of Flying!!!! Its been 15 years since its release.
                              Fear of Flying is Mya's biggest selling album to date. Case of the Ex is her biggest solo single to date. Time flies

Comment

I love this album. She came really hard with this one!

Comment

Originally posted by intosoul
                                  I love this album. She came really hard with this one!

She sure did. My fave album.

Comment

I love this album, but Moodring is also great.

Comment

I thought Moodring was too poppy for my taste.
                                      I knew she was going for a varied sound, but it didn't work IMO.

My Love is like WO and Fallin' are classics doe

Comment

Can't Believe>>>>>
                                        Man In My Life>>>>
                                        How You Gonna Tell Me>>>>

Comment

FIVE BEST SONGS FROM MYA'S FEAR OF FLYING ALBUM

Female R&B vocalists of today often get compared to names like Aaliyah and Janet Jackson, singers who were also known for their dancing prowess. But one name that often gets left out of the conversation is Mya.

The Washington, D.C. native, who’s African-American and Italian, had her first foray in the arts through dance, taking up ballet, jazz and tap as a toddler. She even earned the opportunity to study under the legendary tap dancer, Savion Glover, and got her big break in entertainment by landing a gig as a dancer on BET’s now-defunct show, Teen Summit. Mya caught the music bug and recorded a demo that would ultimately pique the interest of Interscope Records, with whom the talented teen inked a recording contract.

Dropping her eponymous debut album in 1998, fans immediately took to Mya, who impressed with her nifty dance moves and Chocolate City charm. Being drop-dead gorgeous and a solid vocalist didn’t hurt matters either, nor did her collaborations with some of the hottest artists in the game, including Sisqo (“It’s All About Me”) and Silkk Tha Shocker (“Movin’ On”), both of which played a major part in the album earning platinum certification.

Before you knew it, Mya was considered an A-list artist, appearing on smash singles like Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s contribution to the Bullworth soundtrack, “Ghetto Superstar,” as well as the star-studded The Rugrats Movie Soundtrack cut, “Take Me There,” both of which boosted her profile further and raised anticipation for her second LP.

The public didn’t have to wait too long for it to arrive, as the singers sophomore effort, Fear of Flying, landed on April 25, 2000. With 72,000 copies sold within its first week of release and debuted at the No. 15 spot on the Billboard 200 album chart, both of which were considered disappointing stats and didn’t bode well for its commercial prospects.

The album’s lead single, the Jadakiss-assisted “The Best of Me,” didn’t take off as expected and Fear of Flying was on its way to being considered a bust until the album’s second single, “Case of the Ex” struck gold with fans, prompting Interscope to re-release the LP, which would go on to earn Mya her second platinum plaque and stamp her place within the game.

Fifteen years after her sophomore effort hit shelves, we gave Fear of Flying another spin and picked its five best songs. Did your favorite song make the cut? Check out our selections below.

"Man in My Life"
                                          Mya turns down the lights with the slow-burning ballad, "Man in My Life." Flipping Rod Temperton's masterful songwriting into a dedication to her beau, Mya takes a page out of the book of Michael Jackson and does his timeless "Lady in My Life" record much justice. Co-produced by the Mercenaries, with additional work done by Trackmasters, the familiar melody feels warm and is inviting with its warm embrace of plush percussion. Vocally, Mya is as sensuous as on any other selection on the LP and shines with her subtle nuance and command of the track. While imitating the brilliance of MJ is no small feat, she completes the mission and comes through with flying colors on this track.

"Fear of Flying"
                                          Produced by Knobody, the title track wins with its use of guitar strings and delicate percussion, making for a serene soundbed. "I've got a fear of flying on a plane cause we've got no say in how it ends up / Well, in my mind, love's the very same way, that's why I never give my heart to no one," Mya admits while comparing her fear of heartbreak to the anxiety of catching a flight. "I've got a fear of flying high, but I'm compelled to spread my wings, so / It's all in my mind," she sings on the hook. The song displays a growing maturity in her artistry with its poignant lyrics and a solid vocal performance.

"Again & Again"
                                          While missing from the original version of Fear of Flying, this lively number appeared on the re-release and is quite the treat. Produced by Swedish production duo Bag & Arnthor, with additional production from Damon Elliott, the track opens with Mya crooning, "I tried so hard to make you understand that it's over / Yes it's over," before the beat drops and the real fun begins. She lets her ex-lover know that any chances of reconciliation are out of the question. By the time you get to the chorus, Mya croons, "And again and again and again and again / You'll come back to me, boy, but you don't hear me, no," which makes it quite clear that she is more than fed up and has given her old flame the gas-face.

"The Best of Me"
                                          Swizz Beatz lends his production talents to this effort, which was one of the last songs to make the cut for the final Fear of Flying track list. The effort didn't fare as well on the charts as past singles, but it was a hit on urban radio and served as the defacto announcement of Mya's sophomore campaign. The stunning beauty may have done her thing on the record, but the heat gets turned up when label mate and member of the Lox, Jadakiss steps in for a superb guest verse. "I got so many bags of money that they won't fit in the bank / And I'ma do you just like Tony did it to Frank / But I'ma make sure that both y'all win / Let em keep the place, you move, and I'ma pay both y'all rent," he raps, annihilating the track. Too bad the remix with Jay Z was too good for anyone to really remember this version, but that fact aside, the O.G. rendition still gets our love and affection regardless.

"Case of the Ex"
                                          "It's after midnight and she's on your phone / Saying come over cause she's all alone / I could tell it was your ex by your tone / Why is she calling now after so long?" That recognizable phrase is from Mya's 2000 hit, "Case of the Ex." Produced by renowned beatmaker Tricky Stewart, the uptempo beat has club-banger written all over it, with jittery kicks and snares. Mya glides right over the track with her sultry vocals. The second single released from Fear of Flying, "Case of the Ex" was a modest hit upon its initial release, but slowly burned its way up the charts, ultimately peaking at the No. 2 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 and earning her the second Top 10 single of her young career. Fifteen years later, the song continues to be a favorite among the ladies -- and a nightmare for the fellas.
                                          What's your Top 5?

Comment

Case of the Ex, Free, Again & Again, No Tears On My Pillow and The Best of Me.

Comment

^^^^^ Nice.

Comment

I'm listening to this album right now. Such a cool record.
                                                Case Of The Ex, Again And Again and Free are amazing.
                                                Floped and localed

Comment

Love this album. Play it all the time. Definitely one of the best urban contemporary R&B/pop of the early 00's.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X