Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi

I've seen this record in EVERY record store on the 'low sales' tables. This seems to be quite a popular record right now. Is anyone familiar with it? I've just given up on my intention NOT to buy it.

YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

it's a classic, Buffalo Stance, Manchild and Kisses On The Wind take me back to fourth grade
    My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

From first listen I like Heart the most. It's fantastic!

Comment

Raw Like Sushi is awesome!
        Buffalo Stance is one of my afve tracks of all time.

Comment

Oh man it's fantastic!! Surprisingly the single tracks aren't even my favourites. I fancy Heart, Inna City Mamma (my album favourite), So Here I Come and Love Ghetto much more.

Are her later records just as good? I might buy her catalogue.

Comment

Raw Like Sushi is being reissued as multi-disc CD and vinyl sets for its 30th anniversary. Release date: January 24, 2020.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TBC/dp/B07Z...?tag=sdepcw-21

Track List

Disc: 1
            1. Buffalo Stance
            2. Manchild
            3. Kisses On the Wind
            4. Inna City Mamma
            5. The Next Generation
            6. Love Ghetto
            7. Heart
            8. Phoney Ladies
            9. Outré Risqué Locomotive
            10. So Here I Come
            11. My Bitch
            12. Heart (It's a Demo)

Disc: 2
            1. Buffalo Stance (Sukka Mix)
            2. Buffalo Stance (Electro Ski Mix)
            3. Buffalo Stance (1/2 Way 2 House Remix) [Arthur Baker]
            4. Buffalo Stance (Nearly Neue Beat Remix) [Arthur Baker]
            5. Buffalo Stance (Kevin Sanderson's Techno Stance Remix One)
            6. Manchild (Old School Mix)
            7. Manchild (Massive Attack Remix)
            8. Manchild (Massive Attack Bonus Beats)
            9. Manchild (Smith N Mighty Remix)
            10. Manchild (Smith N Might More Bass - Less Vocal Style)

Disc: 3
            1. Inna City Mamma (Re-recorded Extended Version)
            2. Inna City Mamma (Cold Blooded Remix)
            3. Kisses On the Wind (12" Spanish Mix)
            4. Kisses On the Wind (David Morales 'A Little More Puerto Rico' Mix)
            5. Kisses On the Wind (Dynamic Duo + Latin Rascals Mix)
            6. Kisses On the Wind (Lovers Hip-Hop Extended Version)
            7. The Next Generation (Rap One Mix)
            8. The Next Generation (Sub-Woofer Mix)
            9. Heart (Club Mix)
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/TBC-VINYL/d...?tag=sdepcw-21

Track List

Disc: 1
            1. Buffalo Stance
            2. Manchild
            3. Kisses On the Wind
            4. Inna City Mamma
            5. The Next Generation
            6. Love Ghetto
            7. Heart
            8. Phoney Ladies
            9. Outré Risqué Locomotive
            10. So Here I Come

Disc: 2
            1. Heart (It's a Demo)
            2. Buffalo Blues
            3. Buffalo Stance (Sukka Mix)
            4. Buffalo Stance (Electro Ski Mix)
            5. Buffalo Stance (Nearly Neue Beat Remix) [Arthur Baker]
            6. Buffalo Stance (1/2 Way 2 House Remix) [Arthur Baker]
            7. Buffalo Stance (Kevin Sanderson's Techno Stance Remix One)

Disc: 3
            1. Manchild (Old School Mix)
            2. Manchild (Massive Attack Remix)
            3. Manchild (Smith N Mighty Remix)
            4. Inna City Mamma (Re-recorded Extended Version)
            5. Inna City Mamma (Cold Blooded Remix)
            6. Kisses On the Wind (David Morales 'A Little More Puerto Rico' Mix)
            7. Kisses On the Wind (Dynamic Duo + Latin Rascals Mix)
            8. The Next Generation (Rap One Mix)
            >>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

classic. "Manchild" sounded really different at the time
              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

I stan this record! Quite a hit for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose View Post

Are her later records just as good? I might buy her catalogue.
                  Go for it! There's only four other full-lengths, since she took a nearly 20 year break between her 3rd and 4th albums with occasional collabs. A quick overview:

Homebrew (1992): Probably still my favorite of hers, this little gem splits its time between the hip-hop/jazz and hip-hop/rock fusions that were happening in the early 90s and the then-emerging sound of trip-hop. As for the latter, this album simply doesn't get its due credit for helping to usher in that sound. Often paired down to little more than shuffling beats and airy, misty synths and keyboards tracks like "Move With Me" "Twisted" and "Peace in Mind" prefigure the genre's coining by two years and "Somedays" features a pre-Portishead Geoff Barrow on production and sounds like a dry run for his work on their breakthrough Dummy. She also throws shade at Lenny Kravitz on "Buddy X". Visionary.

Man (1996): Building on the strengths of Homebrew, this one leans into the rock side of things ("Feel It" "Kootchie") while continuing to refine her trip-hop leanings by adding full orchestras (first single "Woman", closing track "Everything"), stripping things down to a flamenco guitar ("Golden Ring") or just going darker and murkier overall ("Carry Me", the Tricky collab "Together Now"). Youssou N'Dour turns in a tender duet on the fantastic "7 Seconds", her most-streamed song on Spotify and a song that seems to have been a hit everywhere but the US. I dunno what's up with us sometimes.

Blank Project (2014): As there is a certain amount sonic lushness to be expected from Ms. Cherry, this one took some getting used to. The sound is very spare, brittle and dry, almost desert-like. But with a couple more spins, the catharsis takes shape and the album reads as emotional and raw, not like sushi but like rope burn. Cherry experienced an emotional breakdown after the death of her mother and used this record to examine that wound on the stark and riveting opener "Across the Water" which finds her backed only by a doleful drumbeat. Elsewhere, she ruminates on a fallow period of her marriage on the booming title track, frets about financial stress on "Weightless" but retains hope that everything will be ok eventually on the Robyn duet "Out of the Black". Best listened on a good pair of loud speakers, where Fourtet and Rocketnumbernine's spartan bass-heavy beats will shake your walls.

Broken Politics (2018): The title sounds like its content will be heavy going and indeed the songs touch on difficult topics like abortion ("Black Monday"), aging ("Deep Vein Thrombosis"), senseless gun violence ("Shot Gun Shack") and the corrosive effect of wide-spread disinformation on the populace ("Faster Than The Truth"). Despite all that, Cherry resists being strident with a compassionate approach, her voice radiating empathy. Fourtet is back, upholstering these tunes with plucked harps, chiming bells and World Music percussion. And first single "Kong", sung from the point of view of a refugee, finds her reunited with Massive Attack's Robert "3D" Del Naja for the first time since Raw Like Sushi​​'s "Manchild". He throws down a deep dub bassline, some saturated drums and atmospheric keys in a nod to the blunted-out Bristol sound that brings Neneh full circle 30 decades in to her solo career. A find.
                  Last edited by NormiMalone; Wed September 16, 2020, 00:33.
                  The sands of time fade into dark
                  Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                  A message to madness
                  Feel music that's realness

Comment

Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post

Go for it! There's only four other full-lengths, since she took a nearly 20 year break between her 3rd and 4th albums with occasional collabs. A quick overview:

Homebrew (1992): Probably still my favorite of hers, this little gem splits its time between the hip-hop/jazz and hip-hop/rock fusions that were happening in the early 90s and the then-emerging sound of trip-hop. As for the latter, this album simply doesn't get its due credit for helping to usher in that sound. Often paired down to little more than shuffling beats and airy, misty synths and keyboards tracks like "Move With Me" "Twisted" and "Peace in Mind" prefigure the genre's coining by two years and "Somedays" features a pre-Portishead Geoff Barrow on production and sounds like a dry run for his work on their breakthrough Dummy. She also throws shade at Lenny Kravitz on "Buddy X". Visionary.

Man (1996): Building on the strengths of Homebrew, this one leans into the rock side of things ("Feel It" "Kootchie") while continuing to refine her trip-hop leanings by adding full orchestras (first single "Woman", closing track "Everything"), stripping things down to a flamenco guitar ("Golden Ring") or just going darker and murkier overall ("Carry Me", the Tricky collab "Together Now"). Youssou N'Dour turns in a tender duet on the fantastic "7 Seconds", her most-streamed song on Spotify and a song that seems to have been a hit everywhere but the US. I dunno what's up with us sometimes.

Blank Project (2014): As there is a certain amount sonic lushness to be expected from Ms. Cherry, this one took some getting used to. The sound is very spare, brittle and dry, almost desert-like. But with a couple more spins, the catharsis takes shape and the album reads as emotional and raw, not like sushi but like rope burn. Cherry experienced an emotional breakdown after the death of her mother and used this record to examine that wound on the stark and riveting opener "Across the Water" which finds her backed only by a doleful drumbeat. Elsewhere, she ruminates on a fallow period of her marriage on the booming title track, frets about financial stress on "Weightless" but retains hope that everything will be ok eventually on the Robyn duet "Out of the Black". Best listened on a good pair of loud speakers, where Fourtet and Rocketnumbernine's spartan bass-heavy beats will shake your walls.

Broken Politics (2018): The title sounds like its content will be heavy going and indeed the songs touch on difficult topics like abortion ("Black Monday"), aging ("Deep Vein Thrombosis"), senseless gun violence ("Shot Gun Shack") and the corrosive effect of wide-spread disinformation on the populace ("Faster Than The Truth"). Despite all that, Cherry resists being strident with a compassionate approach, her voice radiating empathy. Fourtet is back, upholstering these tunes with plucked harps, chiming bells and World Music percussion. And first single "Kong", sung from the point of view of a refugee, finds her reunited with Massive Attack's Robert "3D" Del Naja for the first time since Raw Like Sushi​​'s "Manchild". He throws down a deep dub bassline, some saturated drums and atmospheric keys in a nod to the blunted-out Bristol sound that brings Neneh full circle 30 decades in to her solo career. A find.
                    Thank you for the detailed reviews! i have acquired HOMEBREW and MAN within the last two years of which I approve MAN the most as a whole body of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose View Post
                      Thank you for the detailed reviews! i have acquired HOMEBREW and MAN within the last two years of which I approve MAN the most as a whole body of work.
                      You're welcome! Glad to hear you also have Homebrew and Man as they are both great albums. If you're into continuing your Neneh deep dive, Blank Project and Broken Politics are also worth getting. She is an amazing artist!
                      The sands of time fade into dark
                      Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                      A message to madness
                      Feel music that's realness

Comment

Working...
                      X