• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Britney Spears - Circus

why arent quicksand and amnesia on spotify? :(

Comment

• Originally posted by toni_pest
      Because Quicksand was only an iTunes exclusive and Amnesia was just a bonus track in Japan and the UK
      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears
        Originally posted by toni_pest
        Because Quicksand was only an iTunes exclusive and Amnesia was just a bonus track in Japan and the UK
        Yes but all of the bonus/exclusive tracks from previous albums are available everywhere.
        I would love to have Trouble, Quicksand, and Amnesia in my iTunes library :(
        Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by mattsky
          Originally posted by JeremySpears
          Originally posted by toni_pest
          Yes but all of the bonus/exclusive tracks from previous albums are available everywhere.
          I would love to have Trouble, Quicksand, and Amnesia in my iTunes library :(
          This album was her only one with different bonus tracks from different platforms and countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by ludichris
            I love her voice on Blur. That's the best her tone has sounded in the last 10 years or so. It's one of my favourite album tracks from her ever.
            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1
              Originally posted by ludichris
              I love her voice on Blur. That's the best her tone has sounded in the last 10 years or so. It's one of my favourite album tracks from her ever.
              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesper
                Originally posted by ThaInfo1
                Originally posted by ludichris
                Who are you?
                What'd we do
                Last night?

slayed.
                Last FM <3
                Instagram

Comment

• A reminder that Circusney slays

Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                    To be fair the way they mixed her vocals on this album is the best she has sounded vocally post 2006!

On blur she kinda gives me Cheryl Cole vibes in some moments!
                    Forever Young

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                      A reminder that Circusney slays

That would’ve been a perfect video for "Freakshow" ugh
                      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Lost Hit: Britney Spears’ “Unusual You” Should Have Been A Single

‪Britney Spears cemented her title as the Princess of Pop with the release of Circus in 2008. One year after traveling to the depths of the clubs on her groundbreaking Blackout, the hitmaker returned to her pristine pop roots. Reuniting with the likes of Swede-pop genius Max Martin and “Toxic” producers Bloodshy & Avant, the album rocketed to the top spot on the Billboard 200. It also spawned some of her most commercially successful singles to date.‬

‪Lead single “Womanizer” stormed the Billboard Hot 100. After debuting at number 96, it flew to the top spot in its second week. This signified the icon’s second time topping the charts as a solo artist and her first number one single since 1998’s “…Baby One More Time.” Buoyed by a dramatic video shot by frequent collaborator Joseph Kahn, the track made a massive impact.‬

‪She enjoyed a similar run when she unveiled the title track as her second single. Peaking within the Top 3, it has gone on to become a defining hit in her discography. Brit netted her third Top 20 single of the era when she rolled out the Max Martin-produced “If U Seek Amy.” The tongue-in-cheek anthem featured one of her brightest productions in years and made a respectable showing despite being edited on radio. However, she hit a stumbling block when she dropped “Radar” as the fourth single off the project.‬

‪In the midst of The Circus Starring Britney Spears, the icon dropped the Bloodshy & Avant-produced banger to little fanfare. A left-over from last year’s Blackout, it was added to the LP as a bonus track after plans to unveil it as a single fell apart in 2007. After listening to it on two records, fans were not quick to support the track on the radio. Unfortunately, it stalled at the lower rungs of the Hot 100 and effectively brought the Circus era to a close.‬

‪However, Britney could have easily continued dropping singles off the album. In particular, she could have had a massive run on the charts had she rolled out her tender electro-ballad “Unusual You.” On an album of buoyant, bubblegum pop, the track is a stunning stand-out. Another production from Bloodshy & Avant, it offered a moment to slow things down as Brit reflected on an unexpected romance.‬

‪“Nothing about you is typical. Nothing about you is predictable. You got me all twisted and confused. It’s all you,” she coos over moody bass and spacy synths. Her voice is gentle as it soars over the electronic production on the unique love song. After dealing with unreliable lovers for so long (as evidenced by the LP’s lead single), she is unprepared for the high of this romance. “Didn’t anyone tell you you’re supposed to break my heart? I expect you to, so why haven’t you,” she fragilely announces.‬

‪In an era defined by bright anthems, this is a particularly raw moment. Perhaps because of that, it immediately resonated with fans. Inexplicably, the track never had a chance. Despite garnering warm reviews and being recognized as a highlight on the album, it never even received a performance. Britney famously snubbed the majority of Circus’ tracklist while on tour. “Unusual You” was no exception. Had she released it as a single and promoted it with a video, this offered an opportunity for the siren to show a different side of herself to the public. Instead, it remains a favorite amongst her most devoted fans.‬

‪“Unusual You” remains a beloved hidden gem in Spears’ discography. Many fans list it as one of her best tracks ever. Some go as far as to label it her second-best ballad (behind In The Zone’s “Everytime”). With any luck, she will be able to recapture the magic with the release of a new body of work in the near future. As the icon gears up to hit the road on the final leg of her Piece Of Me Tour, rumors are reaching a fever pitch that something is in the works. While we wait for confirmation, revisit Britney Spears’ gorgeous ballad below!‬

https://www.idolator.com/7676762/los...ios=1&safari=1

Comment

• Wasn’t the whole ‘Radar’ debacle the result of a contractual obligation that it had to be released as a single?

It was just that if the whole Circus era didn’t follow so quickly, she probably would have put it out around the time Womanizer was released or possibly little earlier like mid year.

When did Break The Ice get released again? I remember it being on the Winter So Fresh CD that year (released around May/June).
                            UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                              Wasn’t the whole ‘Radar’ debacle the result of a contractual obligation that it had to be released as a single?

It was just that if the whole Circus era didn’t follow so quickly, she probably would have put it out around the time Womanizer was released or possibly little earlier like mid year.

When did Break The Ice get released again? I remember it being on the Winter So Fresh CD that year (released around May/June).
                              "Break The Ice" was released in March 2008. "Radar" was indeed confirmed and officially announced to be the 4th and final single from "Blackout" during the summer of 2008, the music video was set to be shot in London but then plans changed at the last minute as they thought it was better to not keep promoting "Blackout" in order to focus on recording a brand new album as quick as possible instead, they really wanted to move into the next era fast which they marketed as her comeback and cancelled the Blackout campaign.

And yeah, announcing and confirming the single treatment of "Radar" contractually set obligations that weren't met, in consequence she had to release "Radar" as the 4th single for her next album ultimately killing the entire momentum of the "Circus" era.

I never really understood how they couldn't simply negociate the release of that contract, paying a compensatory sum of money could have settled things down and it would've allowed her to release a proper Circus song as a 4th single (which would have likely translated into another commercial hit for the era) ... But I guess they were cheap and didn't want to settle some money down for the release of the contract and IMO it only made them loose even more money , at the end "Radar" bombed hard and killed the album sales, they spent budget on the single for nothing.

Either "Kill The Lights", "Shattered Glass", "Out From Under" or "Unusual You" could have made for a great 4th single on the Top 40 charts.

The promo release of "Kill The Lights" with that animated music video gave me the idea that KTL would have likely been selected as the 4th single if the "Radar" incident had not happened.
                              Last edited by MrLeonix; Wed February 19, 2020, 04:23.
                              Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Miss her eras! "Radar" was god during Blackout but I was so disappointed that it became a single in her comeback album!

Comment

• I think this performance really damaged her reputation in the UK:

Circus (single) missed the top 10 afterwards and her UK success was never really the same (S&S being the exception).
                                  Originally posted by beredy
                                  When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                    I think this performance really damaged her reputation in the UK:

Circus (single) missed the top 10 afterwards and her UK success was never really the same (S&S being the exception).
                                    After that performance "Womanizer" found a new peak on the charts and became her 4th biggest solo song in that country, many people forget that "Womanizer" peaked AFTER that performance ... "Circus" missed the Top 10 due to bad timing but overall it went Silver and even outsold several of her previous Top 10 singles, so only the peak was bad but the sales were the same most of her singles were getting. When the album was released it scored her 3rd biggest career opening in the UK with nearly 80K copies on first week (which I doubt would have happened if people were "so turned off" by her) and a few months later she went there with the "Circus Tour", the tour BROKE records, was 100% sold out and was an inmense success even outgrossing Beyonce's tour of that time in UK.

We don't have to over-analyze everything, NOTHING really happened after that performance, the "Circus" era was successful. Her success in the UK simply faded in the same way many divas faded over there like Avril Lavigne, Alicia Keys, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera, Janet Jackson, etc after being in the business for several years and not releasing exciting material anymore. Nothing that special about Britney falling from the top of the charts.

Comment

• Well of course the song she performed was going to receive a bump but I think she received a lot of bad press over that performance in k country. This was just when I was starting to follow the k music scene/charts and I remember the consensus being that it was VMAs 2.0. That bad-will steamrolled from there and lingered for years with moderate chart peaks and little longevity (at least compared to her early 00s UK success where it was one top 10 after another) until S&S put her back on top. Of course in the U.S. she experienced a phenomenal second wind with #1s left and right, so it didn’t really affect her here. In fact, I don’t think many people even know about that debacle. I gave her a pass because of her past traumas but the UK public are a little more cutthroat.

On a personal note, Circus was the first Britknee album I listened to from start to finish and I couldn’t believe how good it was because up until that point, she was nothing more than guilty pleasure of mine. In fact, it was embedded in my head not to take her seriously as a musician because most people I knew didn’t (the chocolate community tends to be apathetic towards pop divas) and even made fun of her during the 2007 breakdown. So when I gave Blackout a spin shortly after, it was over, done and buried.
                                      Originally posted by beredy
                                      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                        Well of course the song she performed was going to receive a bump but I think she received a lot of bad press over that performance in k country. This was just when I was starting to follow the k music scene/charts and I remember the consensus being that it was VMAs 2.0. That bad-will steamrolled from there and lingered for years with moderate chart peaks and little longevity (at least compared to her early 00s UK success where it was one top 10 after another) until S&S put her back on top. Of course in the U.S. she experienced a phenomenal second wind with #1s left and right, so it didn’t really affect her here. In fact, I don’t think many people even know about that debacle. I gave her a pass because of her past traumas but the UK public are a little more cutthroat.

On a personal note, Circus was the first Britknee album I listened to from start to finish and I couldn’t believe how good it was because up until that point, she was nothing more than guilty pleasure of mine. In fact, it was embedded in my head not to take her seriously as a musician because most people I knew didn’t (the chocolate community tends to be apathetic towards pop divas) and even made fun of her during the 2007 breakdown. So when I gave Blackout a spin shortly after, it was over, done and buried.
                                        Trust me, she received way worse press in UK and all over Europe during her breakdown. If anything that’s what put the stigma on her all over Europe and not that performance (it received backlash for Lip-syncing but what’s the news on that regarding Britney?) it still gave her a lot of publicity at the same time, that’s why she got better results with “Circus” than “Blackout”. Honestly I didn’t notice any real negative effect on her career because of that performance, if the performance had been so bad then why would people run and buy her album like they hadn’t in years on first week? Why would anyone run to desperately buy her tour tickets after that? Why would “Womanizer” be so big and re-peak after the performance? .... When Janet performed at SB and people were so mad at her and there was this huge backlash the effect was INMEDIATE on “Damita Jo”, the album saw a lukwarm response, the singles flopped and missed Top 40, a tour was cancelled, she was basically banned everywhere and being honest I don’t feel that happened with Britney in the UK with that performance, if anything like I said, she got her biggest hit since “Toxic”, broke touring records and got radio support with the “Circus” era.

People simply lost interest on her like they did with dozens of divas during the 10s because she stopped innovating and bringing something interesting to the table, everyone knows her music and artistic direction got stuck and stalled after “Circus” and maybe the US might be less demanding but you need to keep it edgy all the time if you want to be up there in Europe and she failed to do that. Europe is a harder market to please and albums like “Femme Fatale” or “Britney jean” were not going to pull the trick for her in UK no matter what.
                                        Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu February 20, 2020, 00:39.

Comment

Working...
                                        X