No announcement yet.

Madonna - Ghosttown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I personally think her worst era was Erotica. The album was a flop, the backlash was real. At one point, she was probably the most hated woman in the world. Yet she managed to survive that.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• The video for this is so nice. I just didn't like her acting that much, but overall, it was a great music video.

Comment

• Yep, saying "Rebel heart" is her worst era because of the negativity caused by Drake's Kiss (a kiss that no one remembers) and one fall at thr Brits (that no one remembers) is not fair, those dumb incidents don't compare with the massive negativity her "Erotica" era pulled at the time, that was real sh*t backlash. And she also received strong negative reaction with the "American life" music video to the point that it even permanently hurt her career in USA. "Negativity" means sh*t, an era is just a compilation of music, singles, music videos, performances, images, theme, promotion, artwork, etc and all of those eras were great just like "Rebel heart" is a good overall era.

Her worst era is either HC or MDNA to me.
        Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix
          Yep, saying "Rebel heart" is her worst era because of the negativity caused by Drake's Kiss (a kiss that no one remembers) and one fall at thr Brits (that no one remembers) is not fair, those dumb incidents don't compare with the massive negativity her "Erotica" era pulled at the time, that was real sh*t backlash. And she also received strong negative reaction with the "American life" music video to the point that it even permanently hurt her career in USA. "Negativity" means sh*t, an era is just a compilation of music, singles, music videos, performances, images, theme, promotion, artwork, etc and all of those eras were great just like "Rebel heart" is a good overall era.

Her worst era is either HC or MDNA to me.
          Don't twist my words because that's not what I said. I said leaks ruined era and this never felt like an era because of them. Other things she did received massive negative backlash and became viral, denying it is pointless. I don't see how kissing Drake and being in news because of that helped this era. No one talked about music, and people are not interested in checking album or they just think "oh it's probably bad" (which is case on this forum too)

And because of leaks this never even had a chance to be an era, everything she recorded leaked in few days, people checked it out, by the time album was released hype was dead, and no one cared.

Performances went unnoticed (except of BRITS), which is something new for Madonna.

I'm not gonna talk about Erotica because i didn't experienced it, but the fact is that album was selling (multiplatinum in every major market), she kept getting top 10 hits in UK, had tour that outgrossed previous tour, so there were positive things.

MDNA and HC can't even be compared to RH because she didn't do anything, that's why this era was terrible, she tried, and she failed in everything.

(That's why for example 4 era by Beyonce is seen as underperformance for her because she was everywhere promoting it, and self-ttiled that she barely promoted sold only little more and it's super smash comeback)

Madonna as businesswoman failed miserably. Her brand is lower than ever. Her star power is gone.

And this is coming from as you all know big fan. And this is how I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen
            I'm not gonna talk about Erotica because i didn't experienced it, but the fact is that album was selling (multiplatinum in every major market), she kept getting top 10 hits in UK, had tour that outgrossed previous tour, so there were positive things.
            Well, "Erotica" was a commercial deception for the time, she passed from selling 20m / 15m with each studio album to selling 6m in 1992, that was tragic and no one was talking about her music back then everyone was dissing her, she also flopped misserably in the film she did at the time, and the tour grossing more than the previous one doesn't mean anything, MDNA tour grossed more than the Confessions tour and that doesn't turn MDNA in a bigger era just in the same way "Erotica" was a commercial misstep for Madonna for the standards of that time and after huge albums like "Like a virgin", "True blue", "Like a prayer" and "The inmaculate collection".

Anyway, I don't care if Madonna's brand is not as big anymore, I'm not that kind of fans that dump artists once they flop, I enjoyed the "Rebel heart" era.
            Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack
              The video for this is so nice. I just didn't like her acting that much, but overall, it was a great music video.
              Best video in years.
              Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

• The leaks are the worst part of this era, everything else was perfect!
                The fall at the British just showed how strong and professional this woman is, not that I ever thought that she wasn't.
                People mocked her, but she also got lots of support and respect from a lot of people including some of her peers.
                Just like erotica, one of her best eras, the backlash came from ignorance and we, the fans, stood by her because we get it.
                Ghosttown it's a great song with a great video, although for me, the best one this era is BIM!!!
                "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• I'm just going from my own friendship groups and people in their early 20s in Ireland. Something happened over the last few years to the youth's perspective of Madonna that I find bizarre. She doesn't seem to have that strong connection with what is trending or believed to be trending in the same way anymore. Honestly I don't think she is as relevant to younger pop consumers anymore, so although she may still do ok with album sales and tours, I'm not sure if she van manage success with singles anymore

Comment

• Still love this.

Comment

• Probably one of my fav Madonna songs ever :( such a shame it didn't do better
                      BS:TS:IA:NM

Comment

• This song just speaks to me right now. I also really like Living For Love. I never really cared for LFL, but just everything going on in my life right now, both these tracks are very healing.

Comment

• Originally posted by madgikman
                          This song just speaks to me right now. I also really like Living For Love. I never really cared for LFL, but just everything going on in my life right now, both these tracks are very healing.

Undoubtedly a great song which was handled poorly in terms of promotion and coupled with an utterly utterly utterly boring video that gone wrong for some strange reason.

This and Masterpiece, JOA, M and Rebel Heart are part of madonna's best songs in the last decade and unfortunately non of them received their anticipated recognition at all.
                          Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

• Originally posted by oaknuys
                            This and Masterpiece, JOA, M and Rebel Heart are part of madonna's best songs in the last decade and unfortunately non of them received their anticipated recognition at all.
                            ...yet Bitch i'm Madonna did.

I still regard Ghosttown as a flawless pop song and still one of her absolute best. Such an underrated gem. <3

Comment

• Should Have Been Bigger: Madonna’s “Ghosttown” Deserved More

The odds were against Madonna during the Rebel Heart era. The Queen of Pop was plagued by a series of leaks in the lead-up to her 13th album. Despite taking measures to mitigate the effects of having material online months ahead of schedule, the damage was already done. Which is a shame because the music deserved so much more. We’ve already said lead single “Living For Love” should have topped the Billboard Hot 100 for weeks on end. And there were no shortage of hidden gems left to linger on the tracklist. A personal favorite of those being “Hold Tight.” Today I’d like to turn your attention to the LP’s second underrated single “Ghosttown.”

After the electrifying pop beats of “Living For Love,” Madonna switched things up for the album’s follow-up. An apocalyptic love song, “Ghosttown” is a steadily unfurling ballad with a powerful message of resilience. On it she paints unfathomable images of destruction but refuses to lose hope for her and a partner. “When it all falls, when it all falls down, I’ll be your fire when the lights go out. When there’s no one, no one else around, we’ll be two souls in a ghost town,” the living legend vows. “This world has turned to dust. All we’ve got left is love. Might as well start with us. Singing a new song, something to build on.”

Madonna brought the single to life courtesy of a video directed by Jonas Åkerlund. Featuring a cameo from Terrence Howard and a delightfully witchy look (perfect for a post-apocalyptic wasteland), it was a cinematic blockbuster worthy of the gorgeous anthem. However, the stars did not align for “Ghosttown.” Despite receiving rave reviews as one of the highlights on Rebel Heart, it failed to pick up on the charts. In fact, it didn’t even make a dent on the Billboard Hot 100. Talk about a supreme lack of taste. Revisit the should-be hit below and weigh in on what you think went wrong.

https://www.idolator.com/7904182/sho...ios=1&safari=1
                              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• A great song with an amazing videos. Should have been a huge hit. I personally love her ballads!
                                Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Yup, Ghosttown definitely deserved more. It should’ve been a hit at least in Europe!

Comment

• I always thought it was a hit (here) since it was constantly played on the radio and on TV but I just saw that it only peaked at #34.

But yes it deserved a lot more especially in the US. And so did "Rebel Heart".
                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• This song was and still is one of her very best tracks along with “Masterpiece” in the last decade. Both carry her finest vocals and utterly mesmerizing melodies; Unfortunately Masterpiece was never properly released and Ghosttown was released with very little promotion along with an extremely boring snoozefest-ish video. :(
                                      Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

• I love this song so much, it's so easy to listen to.

Comment

• Im probably the only one who finds it a but forgettable. It is just a basic catchy ballad to me. There is far better on RH and in her discography.

Comment

• I have never seen the video for this, but it's one of favorites post COADF.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
                                              Im probably the only one who finds it a but forgettable. It is just a basic catchy ballad to me. There is far better on RH and in her discography.
                                              Yes I think I agree.
                                              I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• WTF. Why did this thread get such a bad rating? 1 star?! seriously?! - It's basically one of three Madonna singles this decade which aren't terrible.
                                                Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

• What? No. This is her worst single off the decade along with 'Turn Up The Radio'. 'Rebel Heart' or the Avicii version of 'Wash All Over Me' should have been a single instead of this mess. Not even the video, which is okay, could save this mess of a song. Pretentious mess. Not surprised she ditched it on the Rebel Heart Tour.

Comment

• People who still pretend to hate this <<<

Comment

• Originally posted by MusicLover88 View Post
                                                      People who still pretend to hate this <<<

Comment

• I can't stop playing Ghosttown now. Feels so relevant in 2020.
                                                        Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• This is Madonna’s best single during the last 10 years, there’s no doubt about it.

Comment

Working...
                                                          X