Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shakira - Sale El Sol (The Sun Comes Out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakira - Sale El Sol (The Sun Comes Out)

Antonio de la Rua Interview

Antonio de la Rua experienced an expedition in Colombia lightened by places where he became soaked in our folklore music. This expedition was a joint dream that he shared for many years with Shakira, but in the end, he could only come accompanied by of the crew members of Shakira’s production, among which were Rodrigio Lervolino, Jogn Morical, and John Hill.

The last (John Hill) es known as a world-renowned musical producer – he has participated in productions for Yoko Ono, Santogold, and Natasha Bedingfield – and he had been working on the next album of the Colombian singer.

The people of this expedition took a treasure of 90 hours of recording, in which they experienced the music of “marimba del Pacifico”, “la champeta cartagenera, “los aires vallenatos” executed by Náfer (Mafer’s uncle) Durán and “el joropo llanero”, among others.

In a moment, the emotion of being in the presence of this music, hearing it first-hand interpreted by the legendary people like Luis Fernando Ochoa – eternal producer of Shakira – so that they would join the group. “What we did was investigate the areas of Colombia where there is more African influence,” said Antonio de la Rua, via telephone from New York, “We passed through Guapi, Timbiquí, Barranquilla, Palenque, and Cartagena. We made a recollection of 90 hours of music.”

What will you guys do with this material?

The objective was to have these recordings to enter the studio, listen to them, understand them, know more about the Colombian rhythms and discuss what, form there, works as inspiration for Shakira’s next Spanish album. It will be an album of Colombian music or Colombian folklore, but it was have a contemporary/modern fusion.
    How was the experience of going to places like San Basilio de Palenque and Timbiquí?
    For all of us, it was one of the best things that we’ve done in our lives. It is incredible to go through Colombia. A few years ago it was not possible. It is as if Colombia suddenly opened itself to be seen. Going to Guapi, and Timbiqui, and many of the sites of our route, were places that six years ago were unthinkable destinations.

How would you describe what you saw?

I found a volume of music history books. The musicians of Colombia are historians, the ones held responsible with writing the history of Colombia, that is like the history of Latin America.
    It is there, in the music, the arrival of the slaves, the adaptation to a different place, the Spanish influence and how the natives managed to preserve their culture even though they incorporated new elements. In Timbiqui, I was impressed with how they have developed all of the surrounding music of “la marimba,” the art that needs to be learned. In San Basilio de Palenque, you could see the passage of family traditions among families, where they speak African, not Spanish. It’s a place that has music like something central to their culture. Visiting and hearing them is like observing the history of every single village.

Did they tell you your stories?

When you get there, they tell you what music means, because they sing and to what they sing, you see that they always have to see with the family, with tradition, the Earth and death. In Palenque, you can feel the spirit: they believe that the spirit comes out through the ears and make the music to accompany the spirit to the place where they have to arrive.

?Was there a moment where you felt, “Shakira should be here watching this"?

All of them. First, because we were so surprised with the richness of the music, the amount and sophistication of the rhythms. That, you have it all the time in whatever place. However, she goes hearing what we’re recording, she’s already hearing it. They are 90 hours y we’re going to choose some things. We have an engineer working on this material. She (Shakira) is hearing it. I suppose that there are a lot of things that we still need to see, but what is for sure is that Colombia is full of gold in every place.

?What did the communities say when they knew who you are?

When you finish the musical experience of listening and having them telling you and showing you, you take a little drink and talk, you arrive at a sense of knowledge with the people that is of closeness and strong friendship.
    There is no barrier or wall between the outside group and these people. There is a sense of open heart, of putting all you have and know to share with others. You feel that there is no distraction. Then the experience becomes very emotional and comfortable, and it is charged with joy and happiness. We always feel like we’re among family.

And what did Shakira say when you told her about these sensations?

Shakira knows a lot about the music of Colombia and the Middle East. They are the places that she always searched for in many of her songs. You can see some influence, but this is the first time that we do it like this, in an organized fashion, and going to so many places to listen to their material. In fact, I feel like we opened a door. I don’t know where it’ll take us, but it will give us many things. We knew that there was a lot of richness, but seeing it, touching it, listening to it changes your head.

In what sense?
    There are so many possibilites of things that we could do in the future with all of this. It’s like inexhaustible. For now we’re going to concentrate on the album because we’re working on the promotion, the concerts, it’s a stage that will take us two more years.

How is that agenda?

Shakira will do promotion (for “She Wolf,” in English, that is on sale on October 10th in Colombia) for six months.
    Later, there will be a couple of months of rehearsal, then the year-long tour and in the media, the album will drop between March and June of next year. It doesn’t have a specific date, we could only give it priority, wait until we get out of this cycle. But we already opened a door: we discovered the richness that they have.

Were you ever involved like this in the production of one of Shakira’s albums?

Honestly, this is the first time. I am always close to her process and I help her. But, I’ve never done this. Because it’s about Colombia and the producers are American, Shakira knew that there wasn’t a better place to send them [than Colombia]. We wanted them to know the importance that this trip had for us and that we would have a strong point, for it to be very real. I was telling the producers: “We have to go to Colombia.” We had been talking about this for years. But these things are difficult to construct, to find the time. Until we said: “Let’s go or time will run out.”

?And are you guys going again?

The idea is to work on the album and when we go defining and understanding where we’re going, we’ll return. The idea is to start coming and going. We were set with all of the contracts of the musicians that we know. We have a great musical map and a good group of artists that we could consult.

Musical expeditions multiply themselves (I don’t know how this is a question…lol)

Musical expeditions are becoming a more and more frequent occurrence in the hour of finding inspiration for the albums of different artists. And in the Colombian stage has attracted artists like Calle 13, whose band members made an expedition to find the cultural rhythms in places like “la Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta.”

The same national artists, especially the artists of “tropipop” (mix of tropical and pop) and new Colombian music, have made important expeditions in the regions to find beats that may help them differentiate themselves. It is know, for example, that Andres Cabas was an assiduous visitor of “el Festival del Porro in San Pelayo”; that the band Maria Mulata, that won in the folklore competions of Viña del Mar, before they recorded their first album, they made many expeditions throught the area of influence of rhythms like “el bullerengue” and “el sexteto” (north of Antioquia, Cordoba, and Bolivar).
    ?Many traditional musicians, starting with “Los Gaiteros de San Jacinto” have seen the arrival of new musical disciples that provide so much to the interior of Colombia like the exterior, they go looking not only to hear the music play in its natural environment, but to learn from how they make their instruments to the history of their music.
    I know this article is kind of old, but a new Shakira album (entirely in Spanish) is confirmed to be released this Spring. There are more articles on the internet about the album, but after reading the article above, you understand what's the plan lol.

Also, Shakira talks about her new album here. Click 'nuevo disc en Espanol' on the right. She talk about a collaboration with Calle 13 and the direction of the album, that's supposed to be more rock.

Just like last time, Shakira will follow up her album a couple of months after the release. This time she's released her English album first, as we all know.

I'm very excited about her new Spanish album, because 'Fijacíon Oral' is a masterpiece. Much better than 'Oral Fixation' and 'She Wolf' IMO. I think it's smart to release a new Spanish album soon, to keep her Spanish.Latin fanbase happy. Especially after Latin radio wasn't happy with the spanish version of 'Did It Again' (Lo Hecho Está Hecho).
    Big.Big.Booty.

Smart.
    Her english album flopped badly and the latin world is where her loyal fans are.

Comment

There's no Spanish song I don't like by Shakira.

Comment

I thought Lo Hecho Está Hecho was a #1 hit on Latin formats?

Anyways, very exciting. I'm hoping there is a smash á la "La Tortura" on here. If we're lucky they could even release an English language version of a really hot Spanish single, She-Wolf era needs to end ASAP.
        Hater-bitch, we're taking you to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaBuzz

She-Wolf era needs to end ASAP.
          i hate when people say that

Comment

Why?
            The songs are good and the core fans like them but there is very little there for radio, mainstream or casual music fans.
            I would rather this era come to an end rather quickly and see Shakira retreat-rally-come back harder instead of see her spending another year or so discrediting herself promoting a dead project and releasing singles which have pretty much flopped before even being released. :-?
            Hater-bitch, we're taking you to the left.

Comment

I usually find her Spanish albums more stronger than her English ones so I can't wait for this
              They call it the Church of Hot Addiction

Comment

It did very well, but not considering that Shakira's songs spend lots of weeks at the number one spot on the charts.

Can't wait to hear her new album!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HC55555
                  It did very well, but not considering that Shakira's songs spend lots of weeks at the number one spot on the charts.

Can't wait to hear her new album!!!
                  I thought I read some radio stations refused to play it.. or something like that?
                  Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Lester Mendez confirmed on his twitter that he was working with Shakira in the studio (March 11th).

Mendez is producer and writer and the man behind the massive Shakira hits 'Underneath Your Clothes' and 'La Tortura' and also behind Nelly Furtado's 'Te Busqué'.
                    Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

I'm relaly looking forward to hear this! It's so funny that I'm more excited about Nelly Furtad's new English album than how I was with "Mi Plan" which happened to be not-so important tbrh... whereas with Shakira, I was happy with "She Wolf" but after it flopped I can't wait to hear the Spanish side lol..

Comment

the album wont be 100% spanish!!!

bilingual like laundry service!!!!!!

Comment

Oh? How do you know FutureMan?
                          Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                            wetten dass interview ;)

she also said the tour will start in september in north america

Comment

Can't WAIT for this!
                              I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by FutureMan
                                wetten dass interview ;)

Thanks! Did she mention when this will come out?
                                I assume before Summer?
                                Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureMan
                                  wetten dass interview ;)

Thanks! Did she mention when this will come out?
                                  I assume before Summer?
                                  before the tour
                                  probably june-july

Comment

I'm so happy about this news. Fijacion Oral was miles better than Oral Fixation and I wished that there were English versions of maybe three of the songs so she could release them as singles in English speaking countries. Hopefully that's what she is going to do with this album!
                                    Remember us in AmenJena...

...If we could just go back to the start

Comment

Topic here.
                                      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

I think this is about her Spanish album while the other thread is about her upcoming English album

Comment

Working...
                                        X