Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jordin Sparks - I Am Woman

Full Interview / Listen to the 'I Am Woman'

You may still picture Jordin Sparks as the fresh-faced, youngest-ever 'American Idol' champ at age 17. Five years later, Jordin lays her signature powerhouse vocals over a new dance anthem 'I Am Woman,' establishing the superstar's new, mature sound and evolved image -- an image that includes Sparks' newly svelte figure after losing 30-pounds. But the chart-topping singer isn't entirely all grown up. She will hold onto her youth and her love for the boy-band era this summer when she opens for New Kids on the Block and the Backstreet Boys on their NKOTBSB tour.

AOL Music caught up with Jordin to get the details of her drastic body makeover, her crush on actor Jake Gyllenhaal and how she's working her tush off including choreography in her performance for the first time in her career.

What is the message of your new single 'I Am Woman'?

'I Am Woman' is a song about different aspects of the lives of women. It could be a mother, a performer, a woman working in a corporate space -- its all about what we go through as women and how our lives are so crazy. Walk a mile in my shoes, or in my stilettos, if you dare and see what happens. It's all about the strengths that a woman has -- how we can multi-task and carry so much, yet still always be on point when we need to be and on cue when we need to be. It's all about the amazing-ness of a woman.

Yes, 'I Am Woman' is a pretty high energy, empowering female anthem. Who are some of your female role models?

In the industry, Gwen Stefani -- definitely the epitome of female empowerment. I love how she rocks that red lipstick no matter where she goes. She has a great fashion sense and she's comfortable with herself. You see her in pictures from way back when, and she's always been comfortable with who she is. Having the blue hair and doing crazy things -- it's just really cool to see someone like that. She's beautiful and she was a mentor when I was on 'Idol,' which made me love her even more. In my personal life, my mom and my grandmothers are all so strong and they just go to show the power of working and having kids and wanting to do your own thing and taking care of business.

'I Am Woman' was co-written and produced by Ryan Tedder and you also collaborated with John Legend on a track for the new album. Who else are you working with

I worked with John, I worked with Ryan and we also did another song called 'The World I Knew' for the new Disney movie 'African Cats.' So that was a lot of fun, I love working with Ryan. We did [the 2009 album] 'Battlefield' together, so I knew this was going to be great. I'm still in the studio recording. I have the single and we're trying to find songs that are just as good -- some slow songs, some mid-tempos, we have 'I Am Woman,' which is up-tempo. I worked with the Underdogs again, who did [the 2008 single] 'No Air' with me. I'm working with a whole bunch of different people and just seeing what we can come up with in the studio.

What is your main focus at the moment?

My main focus is the single and the choreography that I am going to be doing for it, which is going to be so different because it's something that I've never done before. I'm super excited about that. Everything is still in the early stages. I'm still looking for an amazing director to do the video and we'll see what happens, but this time around I'm really trying to step my game up. I want to evolve, not so much that people don't know who I am still, but I'm experimenting with different things and different sounds and adding choreography is definitely different. So I'm excited! And I want to just say thank you to all of my fans for all of the support and I hope they like the new music.

-__- I actually like this, not really a fan of the Sparks but damn okay girl! I am woman! something I can relate to lol

Comment

This is the first single????? Oh god.

Comment

Not impressed by the title! I Am...Sasha Fierce!
        Meant I Am Woman!!!
        Very unoriginal title! And Ryan Tedder ran out of ideas! He caused her previous lead single to flop because of the Halo comparison!!!

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Originally posted by ludichris
          This is the first single?????
          Yepp, confirmed by Steph Jones (her ex) & Jordin herself via Twitter.

Anyway, I really like this. The verses are a bit meh though. Can't wait for her live performance, I bet she's going to do Idol in upcoming weeks.

Comment

When this snippet leaked a month or two ago, I was so-so about it. But I love this song now that I've heard the whole thing. I'm not sure how it's gonna do commercially. It'll either be one of those songs that everyone blasts on their stereos or it'll flop hard. Either way, I love Jordin Sparks (hence the username) and I cannot wait for the new album!!!

Oh and just as a side note, I do not like that single cover. Don't know if it's official or not, but I'm not feeling that picture or the "I Am Woman" font. She's looking so fierce these days, she could have come up with something better.

Comment

Originally posted by preyan
              He caused her previous lead single to flop because of the Halo comparison!!!

It was #10 on the BB charts. I wouldn't exactly call that a flop.
              Who owns the throne? You do mommy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbaby17
                -__- I actually like this, not really a fan of the Sparks but damn okay girl! I am woman! something I can relate to lol
                Why do I have a feeling your a guy. LOL

Comment

She's performing on Idol next week! And the song will be released via Amazon (and iTunes?) next Tuesday as well.

Comment

Tune! This is not the type of song I expected from Jordin, but I'm glad she's not releasing 'Battlefield pt. II'. This is very catchy.
                    Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by lainter06
                      Originally posted by Tbaby17
                      Why do I have a feeling your a guy. LOL

I like the song, although I am man, it's catchy.
                      Lyrics Plus

Comment

The title is dreadful lol, but I'm having a listen now...

Okay, not sure how I feel on the first listen, strong enough to revive her career? I'm not sure. It sounds like something that would have been on Jessica Mauboy's latest album.
                        Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

nice track, memorable chorus
                          Find me on Last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by JimJim
                            It sounds like something that would have been on Jessica Mauboy's latest album.
                            For me, it sounds like an Amerie / Beyonce B'Day track. It really reminds me of Beyonce's 'Back Up', which is not a bad thing at all actually.

The lyrics could've been better though. Oh well, it's Jordin, I will overplay it no matter how good or how bad the song is.

Oh and do you guys think she needs another single for Pop? This is quite Urban/Rhythmic sounding for me.

Comment

I love this!
                              Probably her most urban song to date right?

And yeah, I agree with Abi it reminds me of "Back Up"

Comment

I like it, but I don't love it quite yet. Hopefully the video/performance will help me like it more.
                                Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [85-81]

Comment

You wouldn't expect Ryan Tedder to be the producer of this song.

Comment

I don't really like it. :-?

Comment

He caused her previous lead single to flop because of the Halo comparison!!!

That would be called "debut single from sophomore album after successful debut album" syndrome! ;)
                                      And remind us again how many albums she shifted to date of her last album? And while were at it, Ciara had a top 10 with Love, Sex, Magic. Let's check how many albums that shifted? Mmm...
                                      :-?
                                      | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

I completely disagree, at least from an Australian perspective. 'Battlefield' was a big hit here, peaked at #4 and spent 17 weeks in the top 50, it was the 45th highest selling song of 2009.

'S.O.S. (Let The Music Play)' ruined her IMO, it didn't even make the top 50 here!

Luckily across 2009-10 she had a duet hit with Guy Sebastian ('Art of Love') to keep her relevant.
                                        Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

He caused her previous lead single
                                          to flop because of the Halo comparison!!!

That would be called "debut single from sophomore album after successful debut album" syndrome! ;)
                                          And remind us again how many albums she shifted to date of her last album? And while were at it, Ciara had a top 10 with Love, Sex, Magic. Let's check how many albums that shifted? Mmm...
                                          I'm not talking about her previous album "battlefield" (my comment was NEVER geared towards the album sales to begin with) I was specifically referring (as you mentioned) to "her previous lead single" which was the title track of her sophomore album. We all know the album failed but like I said, the single was anything but a flop.

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC
                                            I don't really like it. :-?
                                            Me either. Its weird!
                                            You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

I'm not talking about her previous album "battlefield" (my comment was NEVER geared towards the album sales to begin with) I was specifically referring (as you mentioned) to "her previous lead single" which was the title track of her sophomore album. We all know the album failed but like I said, the single was anything but a flop.
                                              And again, the lead single "Battlefield" only didn't "flop" based on hype and expectations after her first successful album ;)

Battlefield, single and album, was a flop! We might as well call Jay Seans single "Hit The Lights" a hit considering it hit #2 on iTunes! Hype does not equal success! Longevity equals success!

Comment

^I don't know if you're talking about a specific country or something, but 'Battlefield' was a big success here. The video was played almost every hour on MTV (even MTV Hip Hop played it), the song was everywhere, it was big in my school, etc.

And yes that Jay Sean's single was a flop, but then again it only spent like what? 2-3 weeks on the Hot 100? 'Battlefield' reached #10 and stayed inside the 100 for 22 weeks, and reached the top 10 on Pop as well - which is faaaaar from what we called a 'flop'.

It reached the top 10 in several other countries as well, and I'm sure it's her 2nd biggest single in the world after 'No Air'.

And I don't think it's because of the hype. She's one of the few American Idol contestant with the least hypes. The song was big because people liked it, because she promoted the song well (an American Idol performance in its first day of release), and because radio played the song.

Comment

And again, the lead single "Battlefield" only didn't "flop" based on hype and expectations
                                                  after her first successful album ;)

Battlefield, single and album, was a flop! We might as well call Jay Seans single "Hit The Lights" a hit considering it hit #2 on iTunes! Hype does not equal success! Longevity
                                                  equals success!
                                                  Once again my comment has nothing to do with her past album! Lord knows why you
                                                  keep bringing it up again. Yes the album flopped I'm perfectly aware of that thank you!

I don't know what country you live in but here in the US the song was anything but a flop!!!!! The single had plenty of longevity. When the song was released in 2009 it was
                                                  virtually impossible not hearing it on the radio every 15 minutes and that went on for months NOT just weeks. The video also received tons of airplay on all the music channels here. If that's your idea of a flop then I'm sure many artist would love for their
                                                  singles to flop the same way!

In regards to Jay Sean's "hit the lights", I hardly don't even recall that song which says a lot about the comparisons!

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                                    I like it, but I don't love it quite yet. Hopefully the video/performance will help me like it more.
                                                    Now I do.
                                                    Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [85-81]

Comment

I heard this yesterday. My first reaction was "Jordin hasn't reached that level of fierceness yet to record this kind of song"

Comment

THe song is so-so, maybe it will grow on me. Still looking forward to her album though, as I really liked her sophomore effort.

Comment

Nah, this doesn't do the trick for me. :( Her first single I don't like.

Comment

I love it!

Comment

Working...
                                                            X