Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream

'Art Dealer Chic' singer will be releasing sophomore album 'Kaleidscope Dreams' in three parts, starting with this July 31 digital EP

Miguel doesn't appear to be done with "that art shit / You know, that smart shit." Earlier this year, the singer, songwriter, and producer behind the promising neo-soul of late-2010 debut album All I Want Is You made ambitiously good on that promise with a string of three free EPs: the SPIN Essentials-stamped Art Dealer Chic Vol. 1, 2 & 3. Now, the Los Angeles-born artist has revealed he will be releasing sophomore album Kaleidoscope Dreams in three parts, starting with two new digital EPs, all via Bystorm/RCA Records.

Stream the first release, the three-song Kaleidoscope Dream: Water Preview EP (available via iTunes beginning July 31), exclusively below, including catchy standout "Adorn." The second release, another three-song set and titled Kaleidoscope Dream: Air Preview, is set to hit iTunes on September 11. The final full-length release, simply called Kaleidoscope Dream, will bring together the two digital EPs alongside five new songs and is due out in digital and physical form on October 2.

The album title holds a clue the album's inspiration. "I believe dreams represent the purest form of fantasy we unleash through our subconscious," Miguel says in a statement issued by the label. "They represent the truest freedom we can experience. Totally unrepressed and totally creative."

Producers on Kaleidoscope Dream include Salaam Remi (Amy Winehouse, Nas, Adele), Pop & Oak (Kanye West, Big Sean), Jerry Wonda (the Fugees, Wyclef Jean), and more.

Stay tuned: On Wednesday morning, August 1, SPIN will also be exclusively premiering a stream of Miguel's performance from an upcoming secret live show.

Source

========== ===== Kaleidoscope Dream ===== ==========

Part I: Kaleidoscope Dream: The Water Preview

Tracklist
    1. Adorn
    2. Don't Look Back
    3. Use Me

Stream to Kaleidoscope Dream: The Water Preview here!!!

Part II: Kaleidoscope Dream: The Air Preview

Tracklist
    1. Do You…
    2. Kaleidoscope Dream
    3. The Thrill

So it's gonna be a new trend releasing an album digitally first? Love the idea of the separate releases though, and loooove the title.

Anyway, his vocals in "Don't Look Back" are amazing! It sounds like a Frank Ocean track. Not really my type of songs though.

The last track, "Use Me" is AMAZING! Seriously, one of the most interesting & refreshing R&B tracks in a while

Comment

I'm not sure if I should listen to the EP's before the full album or if should wait till the full thing comes in October to listen to the full thing properly. I did however give it a quick listen, perhaps thats how he wants us to listen to it in segments.

BTW, That site refers to the album as "Kaleidoscope Dreams", but then if you look carefully it is actually called "Kaleidoscope Dream" on each EP and the album (even on the EP cover).

I guess it's gonna be an 11 track album then, unless he adds 2 interludes (or enter.lewd) seperating the 3 parts, kinda like "All I Want Is You" (also 11 full songs).

Comment

^Thanks to noticing! You were born to do it!

Comment

I don't know, if i should listen to the first part. In a way i don't like that he unveils half of the material, before the album is even coming out! I think it would be more exciting, if he just released the full album in October without these digital EP's.

Comment

So i listened to the two new songs, and they are both pretty nice on first listen, but i hope there are more jams like Adorn and the singles from his last album on this new album

Comment

Use me is one of the best RnB tracks of the year!
              Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Loveguru
                Agreed. I'm not sure I would classify this as R&B though. It's honestly unlike anything I've heard before..closest thing would be a dark sex jam i suppose. This is FUTURE music.

Comment

Originally posted by synthheavy
                  Originally posted by Loveguru
                  Agreed. I'm not sure I would classify this as R&B though.
                  Yeah he's going to a more Alternative R&B sound with this album.

Comment

Comment

^^Tracklist?? I'm here for it. Sounds good.
                      I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...

Comment

second micro ep cover

those should be the featured tracks if he continues the tracklisting order

4. “Do You…”
                        5. “Kaleidoscope Dream”
                        6. “The Thrill”
                        i'm living in the future, so the presence is my past. my presence is a present, kiss my ass!

Comment

Love the cover!

Comment

Album cover

:-?

Comment

Originally posted by LetMeLoveU
                              second micro ep cover

4. “Do You…”
                              5. “Kaleidoscope Dream”
                              6. “The Thrill”
                              this is much better
                              Forever Young

Comment

What’s different about you from your debut album to Kaleidoscope Dream?

The first album was, “Hey, I’m talented. This one is like, “Hey, this is me. Let’s sit down and have a conversation? You want a drink? I’m going to have a Jack and Coke.” You’ll get the idea and what the **** I’m really into. It’s the sound of my life. I’m glad you think that I’m a cool guy and a nice guy, but I want you to feel like you have a more rounded perspective of me as a person. I’m in a very comfortable place as a man. And as an artist I have a responsibility to myself and my fans to become more personal with them, so they know who they’re really ******* with and why. This album is more of a feeling album. The last one was a relationship album.

The album does sound more well-rounded topically. Do you think people are going to enjoy getting to know you like this?

It’s kind of weird to admit this, but maybe the sound of my life doesn’t fit everyone else’s. And the pace doesn’t fit everyone else’s. I feel really happy with the music. It’s me. I’ve been so involved in everything this time. The creative direction, the way we’re releasing it. It’s all such a real extension of me and it’s dope. But it’s so ******* scary. I don’t know how people are going to take it.

You seem to have the perfect level of fame. Your true fans recognize you, but you can walk down the street without commotion.

I want more fame. I really do. I’m not going to run away from that. A lot of people are like, "You want to be famous?” I’m like, “Yeah!” That’s one of the things I want. But I also want privacy. I don’t think that that’s something that can’t happen. I don’t think that’s impossible.

Are there any featured guests on this album?

“Candles in the Sun” has Alicia [Keys] on it.

I didn’t hear her.

She’s just doing backgrounds.

How’d you get one of the biggest stars out to only do background vocals?

I wrote the song when I was in Jamaica opening for her. I played her the record and she loved it and wanted to cut it. It didn’t really work for her album. I was like, “Yes.” I’ve never written a song with the purpose of giving it to anyone else that I really wanted for me. Sorry, Alicia. I’m so glad she passed.
                                Complete interview: http://www.complex.com/music/2012/08...ys-fame/page/1

Comment

http://necolebitchie.com/2012/08/30/exc ... ood-freak/

You performed a track the other night that was…intense, to say the least…
                                  Pussy’s Mine? (Laughs) I wrote it. It feels different on the album right? More introspective because it’s just the guitar and me. There’s parts that feel very vulnerable. When a man says that [pussy's mine], he’s coming from a vulnerable place. Knowing that you’re not that only n-gga, just like I know you’re not the only girl, but for right now I want to feel like it. But live, when the bands behind me, it feels more…gutsy.

Your debut album All I Want Is You was very well received. Now you’re back. What’s different this time around?
                                  This album, people are going to appreciate for a different reason. My first album was really based on my three major relationships and each girlfriend kind of taught me something new. This album is all about moments I’ve had in New York. It sounds like my life. This album is a broader perspective of my life. I think I wrote from a feeling perspective. It’s not so much about the lyrics this time around.

You’ve got some very candid songs, like ‘Pussy’s Mine’ and your next single…
                                  The next single is called ‘Do You?’ but it’s really called ‘Drugs’. This album is more about ‘do you ever feel like this? Or think this way?’ Where as the first album I was more telling a story.

There’s been a lot of criticism lately from fellow R&B artists on the state of the genre. Some aren’t happy with the heavy dance music influence. What are your thoughts on this?
                                  I think categorizing is such a corporate thing. It wasn’t something invented by artists. If you’re really trying to be creative, if your music is really reflective of your life, it would be really hard to put into just one genre.

That’s what happened with R&B for a long time. No one was letting their influences in to their music and they just kept doing the same thing over and over and it got kind of redundant. I think there’s a hand full of people pushing the boundaries and staying true to the feeling of R&B music but not being pigeon-held by the stereotype. People like Jhene Aiko, The Weeknd, Frank, of course. And Cee-Lo’s been pushing those boundaries for a long time. That’s it really. It’s just a handful.

So would you call yourself R&B?
                                  This album is much more alternative than R&B, I’m gonna be honest. But I’m still R&B. I don’t stray from that. That’s where my roots are.

Do you feel like we really understand you yet?
                                  I knew that people didn’t really understand me until they saw me live. Now people are finally starting to get it, or at least trust the music and that’s a good thing. They’re at least giving it a chance. I’ve earned that trust a bit. Now I feel like I’ve gotten more comfortable with myself.

What’s made you get comfortable?
                                  Experience. When you’ve had some good shows and some bad shows, you learn to roll with the punches. Something’s always going to mess up. You learn to just roll with it. Now I understand that I’m expected to live up to the music. I just want people to feel something. But isn’t that what live music is for? It’s supposed to be an experience.

So tell me about this racy photo shoot you did with your girlfriend, Nazanin for Unleash’d Magazine…
                                  That photo shoot (laughs) that was kinda last minute. The photographer is a friend of my girls, so she was like do you want to do it? I was like hell yeah.

As your fame rises, is it affecting your relationship at all?
                                  My woman is so secure, I mean look at her. She’s amazing. She’s the sh-t. We’ve been together for a long ass time, like seven years. So we’ve been through so much sh-t and we’ve grown so much together. I’m not a very balanced person and she’s one of the reasons I’ve become more balanced. She holds me down.

Tell me a secret…
                                  Hmmm, I guess it’s not a secret that I’m a f-ckin freak…I guess everyone knows that by now. (Laughs) Hmmmm, I’m nervous. I’m nervous about this album. I’m nervous because…it’s different. You never know how people are going to take different. We’re not really used to different. We don’t take unfamiliar things too well. I’m excited because people are going to find their own things to connect with these songs. But I’m nervous.

Read more: Exclusive Interview With Miguel: The Misunderstood Freak | Necole Bitchie.com

Comment

Originally posted by LetMeLoveU
                                    second micro ep cover

4. “Do You…”
                                    5. “Kaleidoscope Dream”
                                    6. “The Thrill”
                                    Stream

"Do You..." is outstanding
                                    "Riding in front of the picture in the frame of myself, middle of nowhere..."

Comment

"Do You..." is my least favorite from the last bunch so far. Hopefully it grows on me soon since it's the second single.

Comment

i wish he would release the album a week earlier so it would be eligible for the grammys 2013 :-?
                                        i'm living in the future, so the presence is my past. my presence is a present, kiss my ass!

Comment

"Adorn" is a banger.

Comment

"Use Me" & "Don't Look Back" are P-H-E-N-O-M-E-N-A-L!

"Don't Look Back" is so anthemic. Very over-dramatic emo rock band-ish, but it works. I like it!
                                            And "Use Me" is very trance-like and oh so fvcking hawt!

I love it. I'm going to overplay this water EP and then move onto the air EP.

Question: At the end of "Use Me", that instrumental bit, does it sound familiar to anyone? It does to me. At first, I thought it was the theme from Columns, but it's not....I think.
                                            can you commit to be my everything?

Comment

ahhhh has anyone seen his itunes festival performance. to be honest i didnt like it. he sounded of tone a few times. he can do better!

click: itunes festival 2012

Comment

Where Is The Fun In Forever (feat. Alicia Keys)

Love this!

Comment

full album listen http://www.npr.org/2012/09/24/161566783 ... cope-dream

Comment

pussy is mine and candles in the sun sound like acoustic versions. hope its not like that on the album :S

Comment

The album looks great

Loving How Many Drinks (it's freaking amazing!) and Pussy is Mine
                                                      "Riding in front of the picture in the frame of myself, middle of nowhere..."

Comment

Love the album
                                                        a lot better than his debut album.
                                                        Near Flawless

Frank through the summer and Miguel through the fall/winter

a must buy for me
                                                        Only Want Great Music

Comment

It sounds so strong on first listen! A contender for album of the year! How Many Drinks & Where's The Fun In Whatever is instant new favorites!

Comment

The international bonus tracks are very nice! Especially "Gravity"!

Comment

Working...
                                                            X