Pet Shop Boys - Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Shop Boys - Electric

BREAKING NEWS – Pet Shop Boys will release their new album Electric this June after signing to Kobalt Label Services after departing Parlophone Records after a ground-breaking 28 years.

Electric is produced by Stuart Price and you can hear an exclusive teaser for the new album right here: http://tinyurl.com/cw29wzu
    A new album ALREADY! When Elysium came out they were already talking about working on a new cd, but I didn't expect we'd already get a new album less than a year later... after all, U2 have been working on a new cd since BEFORE No Line On The Horizon came out.

Liking the 40 second sample and hoping this is a more lively album than Elysium. Sounds like where that album tried to be an updated Behaviour, here they're going for an updated Very.
    My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Elysium was a nice record, but some tracks were just too boring and overall it had a nostalgic mood I didn't enjoy at all.. The preview sounds incredibly more lively and upbeat!
    Lollo's Weekly Chart - 11/09/2016

Comment

Faints...

Yes, Chris had not much to do on Elysium so this is what he got into while Neil was more involved in Elysium. I knew it would come out soon because it's also the theme of their tour. June... 3 months. Wonderful.

I love the font.

last.fm
      Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

WOW!!! Already!!!! preview sounds... OK, can't get that much out of it. But this will be fun!
        Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
        and you are no exception

Comment

14 March 2013
          Breaking news
          Pet Shop Boys have left Parlophone Records after a ground-breaking 28 years and have signed their forthcoming studio album “Electric” to Kobalt Label Services in a global deal.
          Their new album “Electric” is produced by Stuart Price and will be released in June 2013. Further information about the album will be announced soon.
          Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe said today: “We are hugely proud of the new album and are very pleased to be working in conjunction with Kobalt. We’d like to thank everyone we’ve worked with at Parlophone over the last 28 years both in the UK and abroad. When we signed to the label in 1985 we had no idea how long and successful a relationship we were embarking on. However it is also exciting now to commence a new phase working with a new team in a new business structure and we look forward to a creative and equally fulfilling relationship with Kobalt.”
          Paul Hitchman, Managing Director of Kobalt Label Services, said today: "The whole global Kobalt Label Services team is hugely excited to be a part of the forthcoming Pet Shop Boys release. We look forward to working in partnership with Neil, Chris, and the Becker Brown team to maximise the potential of the record, which is already sounding like a classic.”
          Miles Leonard, President of A&R, Parlophone, said: “Few can say they have worked with any artist for 28 years, but Parlophone have and we are very proud of that. We have been fortunate enough to have been partners in one of the most successful careers in pop culture. Neil and Chris to this day influence so many with their incredible songwriting and music. We wish them every success in the future and look forward to continuing our relationship with them across their entire and enviable catalogue.”
          Kobalt Label Service’s first international album release, “Push The Sky Away” by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds recently debuted at number one in seven countries and top four in thirteen other countries.
          last.fm

Comment

I remember Neil and Chris talking about doing an all-dance album to follow up the more moody and sombre Elysium. Two PSB albums in less than 12 months gets no complaints from me.

Comment

last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails
                I remember Neil and Chris talking about doing an all-dance album to follow up the more moody and sombre Elysium. Two PSB albums in less than 12 months gets no complaints from me.
                Let's see. I'm not calling this a new era for now. For me it's Elysium further listening like their Disco albums belonged to Please, Very and Release eras. But let's see if there are remixes of Elysium tracks on it or if it will be all new tracks.
                last.fm

Comment

There's speculation in the YouTube comments the bonus CD of Elysium was mere instrumentals since they were sitting out the contract and saved the new Chris stuff for Electric. Sounds reasonable to me.
                  last.fm

Comment

Oh and I'm glad they left Parlophone. They forbade them to release the best tracks as singles too many times.
                    last.fm

Comment

I get excited...
                      last.fm

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Chun
                          Let's see. I'm not calling this a new era for now. For me it's Elysium further listening like their Disco albums belonged to Please, Very and Release eras. But let's see if there are remixes of Elysium tracks on it or if it will be all new tracks.
                          Different label and sound, I think PSB is trying to wash their hands of Elysium as fast as they can, since Elysium was neither a commercial success and most fans I know hated it. I think it's a different era, just arrived faster than expected.

Comment

The last album was very one-note, I enjoyed some of the tracks and mostly the Stuart Price remix of "Memory Of The Future" so him being on this new album is good. Would love them to do a really upbeat, party album.

Comment

^ It will be! It's a Chris Lowe style album
                              last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Chun
                                Different label and sound, I think PSB is trying to wash their hands of Elysium as fast as they can, since Elysium was neither a commercial success and most fans I know hated it. I think it's a different era, just arrived faster than expected.
                                The different label argument convinces me.
                                last.fm

Comment

I'm addicted already. Neil speaking.. the synths sound like a Commodore Amiga game.
                                  What do they say? Electric xxxx?
                                  last.fm

Comment

I think it's a different era, just arrived faster than expected.
                                    They work so fast at the moment. They did A Man from the Future in-between Elysium and Electric. It's a ballet or a play and we already heard He Dreamed of Machines but the full thing is not released yet. I wonder if this will happen before Electric or after.
                                    last.fm

Comment

The new label is promising too. I remember some fans out there were worried that with their Parlophone contract running out that Elysium was going to be the last record of them as a pop group, and yet they sign with a new label and have this coming.

Still seems so hard to believe we already have a new album on the horizons as it feels like it was like a month ago when Elysium came out

Comment

Feels like 1989.
                                        last.fm

Comment

In January 2013 a rumor began circulating that the upcoming dance album that the Boys had been alluding to since even before the release of Elysium would be titled Ecstatic and would be released as early as April. The apparent source of this rumor is a fan who said that he had been told this by Neil himself at a record signing. Lending some credence to the story is the fact that the January 2013 issue of the Boys' official fan club publication Literally said that the album (its title unspecified) might be released "sooner than you think." The facts proved to be—as the Pet Shop Boys formally announced on March 14, 2013—that the new album would be titled Electric—not Ecstatic—and would be released in June. So the rumor was off by just two months and a few letters of the alphabet.
                                          From geowayne.com
                                          last.fm

Comment

I think they are saying "electric avenue" on the teaser.

From a Pet Shop Boys forum:

In terms of Kobalt I think many fans misunderstand what Kobalt actually is. Kobalt isn't a record label in the traditional sense. They are a service artists employ to administer their publishing rights, collect royalties, distribute their product, and promote them. It would seem that Kobalt also offers financial services to artists such as loans against unrealized or uncollected royalties rather than the signing bonuses or advances of a traditional label. It would also seem artists may employ Kobalt's services ala carte, using some services and not others. Pet Shop Boys aren't signed to Kobalt in the sense they are contractually obligated to deliver product to them. I would guess it's the other way around, Kobalt is contractually obligated to provide a certain service or services to PSB in exchange for a percentage of their earnings, either on a per project basis or for a limited period of time.
                                            Independence rules! No more weird single choices. This also fits with their festival-based tour dates.
                                            last.fm

Comment

They played two new songs from Electric yesterday in Mexico.

Axis
                                              The last to die

I have not heard them yet and am waiting for them to leak. So exciting!
                                              last.fm

Comment

this is a strange step for the pet shop boys

after 28 years leaving parlophone, i mean they had a successful career in the last 28 years, while other artists of the 80s disappeared from the media, they still had success

parlophone as a label is well known and brilliant, they focus on long term careers ,, look at kylie, coldplay etc......

i think pet shop boys had been disappointed by the flop of the last record Elysium, which is seen as a flop in their catalogue
                                                it sold only 25,000 copies in the uk , it didn't receive SILVER status, while all of their previous albums received silver status

it would be hard for them to have success with ELECTRIC, they are 59 and 54 respectively, ageism is a problem in media

but we will see

Comment

I see this different. They made the right move. Parlophone is being sold to some other big label like Universal or so and the Boys would have not been treated as kindly in the future by them. Kobalt gives them all the artistic freedom they need. There have been some weird restrictions that Parlophone put on them that have made me angry in the past. So I'm very happy about this.

And isnt' their new sound great..!

Ageism is rubbish. I love my old men. David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, they still do it. I have no doubts.
                                                  last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                  X