No announcement yet.

Pet Shop Boys - Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, did not realize that Disco had such longevity in the UK. Granted most of its run was in the lower rung of the chart but still usually remix albums come and go really fast once the hardcore fans get it.
    My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• shocked that NIGHTLIFE spent only 3 weeks on the top 100

it sold 100,000 copies and was certified gold

plus it had a small hit with NYCB

YES was very popular in germany, it spent 20 weeks on the top 100,

but one strange thing, DAY AND AGE was placed 1 lower on the german top 100 year end chart 2009, although it was certified PLATINUM (200,000)

YES ranks 1 place higher but was certified only gold (100,000)

Comment

• Originally posted by christianz
        shocked that NIGHTLIFE spent only 3 weeks on the top 100

It came out during the Christmas season which is a particularly brutal time for new releases, probably too much competition out there. Similar scenario would be when Mariah didn't make the top 40 in the UK with Charmbracelet which came out in December, whereas Glitter went top 10 in September, yet Charmbracelet actually wound up selling more copies there but chart positions tell a different story because it came out at a very busy release period.

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
          Originally posted by christianz
          shocked that NIGHTLIFE spent only 3 weeks on the top 100

It came out during the Christmas season which is a particularly brutal time for new releases, probably too much competition out there. Similar scenario would be when Mariah didn't make the top 40 in the UK with Charmbracelet which came out in December, whereas Glitter went top 10 in September, yet Charmbracelet actually wound up selling more copies there but chart positions tell a different story because it came out at a very busy release period.

THIS absolutely makes sense, the same with billboard 200 in autumn/winter

but how it comes that YES was certified only gold in germany while day and age killers platinum , although it was ranked lower than the first
          ??

Comment

• did the year end chart in Germany count the end of 2008? I know the Killers album came out in Nov 2008 so it had some time for strong sales before 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
              did the year end chart in Germany count the end of 2008? I know the Killers album came out in Nov 2008 so it had some time for strong sales before 2009

i t was released late 2008, and the 2008s sales weren't counted they were accumulated on 2009

Comment

• Glad to read that Vocal isn't the underrated song here... whenever that comes on I become so jumpy and headbangy, it has an amazing pulse and the beat goes really hard! Thursday is obviously too high in that list.. yeah! I guess I'm ready to do an early ranking of this album:

Pet Shop Boys - Electric 9/10

1. Vocal 100/10 Epic!
                2. Love Is A Bourgeois Construct 10/10 - It wasn't very tough converting the people around me into fans for the Bourgeois! Dance/love/pop/emotion perfection!
                3. Flourescent 10/10 4:42 - "you played the game, you played the game, you played the game".. my head is spinning so nicely to this part! This mysterious gem connects with my past as a raver! lol. It just has this infectious spongyness to it which drives through all of my senses, making me feel like I can own the dancefloor!

4. Bolshy 9.5/10 Brings me back to the 90's, it's a bit goofy in a way, and I love that obviously, the build-up at around 4 minutes takes a bit too long to happen, but that's just a minor thing... PSB really let the weirdness in here!
                5. Axis 9.5/10 Some might think I'm silly for ranking this so high, but I get so pumped up from hearing it, so excited... maybe if it wasn't the opening track, I wouldn't feel the same way for it... but that "Electric Energy" voice = shivering from top to toe!
                6. Shouting In The Evening 9.5/10 As Cat Power would've said: "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad"

7. Inside A Dream 9/10 Lovely hard beat and sloppy (in a good way) sexy vocals from Neil... It really does convey the feeling of being in a dream, space located!

8. The Last To Die 8.5/10 I have not much to say about this... it's a great album track, but it doesn't move me personally in any way.
                9. Thursday 8.5/10 Similar to TLTD, this doesn't move me... Example really does save this track, and it's nice to hear a rapper joining the boys! He does a great job.

What can I say! Pop album of 2013! Yes... It's even better than Ciara's new record! - it's just interesting how they went from the very cleaved Elysium to this album where the maigc never gets interrupted!? Was Elysium an album just to finish it of with their last label and contract, and where these tracks already recorder/planned?

I hope Bourgeois can do something for the album in the UK! People would love this if they just gave it a chance!
                Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
                and you are no exception

Comment

• The magic happens in the basement!
                  Dan, great to read your ratings. I don't agree with Thursday's rating. Thursday is genius. West End Girls 2.0. Alongside with Bolshy!!! and Bourgeois, best tracks.
                  I'm a huge fan of this album. Have not really gotten into Fluorescent, Shouting and Inside a Dream yet, these are the weakest tracks imo.

Woooohoo it's better than CiCiara. I'm impressed and proud of the Boys.
                  last.fm
                  Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

• LOVE IS A BORGOUIS CONSTRUCT
                    and BOLSHY are outstanding tracks on this album

i am not a hardcore fan but i love this 2 songs,

AXIS was the wrongest choice for a first single ever

Comment

• Originally posted by Chun
                      The magic happens in the basement!
                      I live for this quote!

West End Girls 2.0? Würden Sie erklären!? :-?
                      Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
                      and you are no exception

Comment

• Aber ja. Already on the first listens I recognized similarities. The bassline is similar, the long stretched synth-string notes. Neil is rather whisper-talking than singing, and there's rapping. The rhythm is rather complicated in both songs. I'm no expert on this but there's something like triples or so in the bassline and in the rhythm played by other instruments in Thursday (piano). It's totally similar, basically a remix of West End Girls. I love it when the piano sets in 1-2-3-4-5-6! Also there's Neil's statement: "Neil said Thursday is a song "of which you could say [it's] from the same group who brought you 'West End Girls.' It has that same sort of sound and atmosphere." It's the bassline, mostly the bassline!!! Copycats. Also there's the chorus, after a more melodic verse (or pre-chorus, whatever it is) it's plain and simply talking West-End-Girls and Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday.
                        I love how they said they played a rap of Nicki Minaj to the demo (rough mix) to see how a rap would fit Thursday. Would love to listen to this! Rough mixes from PSB are the best!!! Easy. ...though I can't really imagine Nicki's Mickey Mouse voice to be good on it

Makes me love West End Girls again! I'm eating all the remixes now.
                        last.fm

Comment

• The lyrics comparison shows a clear lead position for West End Girls though:

Thursday - best lyric lines
                          Will you love me or leave me?
                          I'm here, retrieve me.
                          Starting tonight
                          Let's do it right
                          I want to know
                          you're gonna stay for the weekend
                          It could be now
                          could be tomorrow
                          Today, tomorrow
                          Just speak, I'll follow

West End Girls - best lyric lines
                          Sometimes you're better off dead,
                          there's a gun in your hand and it's pointing at your head.
                          Call the police! There's a madman around
                          Running down underground
                          to a dive bar in a West End town
                          If? When? Why? What?
                          How much have you got?
                          Have you got it? Do you get it?
                          If so, how often?
                          Which do you choose
                          a hard or soft option?
                          (How much do you need?)
                          You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?
                          Just you wait 'til I get you home
                          We've got no future, we've got no past
                          Here today, built to last
                          In every city, in every nation
                          from Lake Geneva to the Finland station
                          (How far have you been?)

This makes me think of a new game..
                          last.fm

Comment

• What do you think about putting the songs in alphabetic order on an album? Uninspiring or a very PSB minimalistic move?

1. Pet Shop Boys - Axis (5:32)
                            2. Pet Shop Boys - Bolshy (5:44)
                            3. Pet Shop Boys - Fluorescent (6:16)
                            4. Pet Shop Boys - Inside a Dream (5:37)
                            5. Pet Shop Boys - The Last to Die (4:12)
                            6. Pet Shop Boys - Love Is A Bourgeois Construct (6:41)
                            7. Pet Shop Boys - Shouting in the Evening (3:36)
                            8. Pet Shop Boys - Thursday (feat. Example) (5:02)
                            9. Pet Shop Boys - Vocal (6:34)
                            last.fm

Comment

• I like this album, Love Is..., Vocal & Bolshy are my faves on first listen!
                              My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

• Good to see! I like Bolshy as well, though most fans rate it as second to last on Electric, Shouting in the Evening being on the last position.
                                last.fm

Comment

• My favourite album of 2013. I had pretty much given up on them after Elysium so Electric came as a very pleasant surprise.

Comment

• Indeed, it was a big surprise.

Welcome to the forum, littleblackheart!
                                    last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Chun
                                      Indeed, it was a big surprise.

Welcome to the forum, littleblackheart!
                                      thank you! great to be here

Comment

• It’s #98 on Slant Magazine‘s list of the 100 Best Albums of the 2010‘s:

98. Pet Shop Boys, Electric
                                        Electric found the Pet Shop Boys taking an easy and well-earned career victory lap. This isn’t a nostalgia cruise through the sounds of its creators’ lost youth, but rather a daringly foolhardy effort to communicate with the kids in their own blissed-out lexicon. For this task, Electric brought in the man most perfectly suited to marrying ‘80s electro-pop classicism with genre-straddling EDM modernism, Stuart Price. More importantly, the duo brought a collection of wry and wonderful earworms that are every bit as huge as Price’s canyon-sized sound. A reminder that classic songs don’t have to arrive already frozen in amber. Blue Sullivan
                                        https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/...the-2010s/amp/
                                        Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Working...
                                        X