No announcement yet.

Céline Dion - Courage World Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, Target Centre is packed to the rafters!

Over 14,000 in attendance apparently.

Comment

• Celine Dion does spectacular Minneapolis Target Center concert

Friday night at Minneapolis’ Target Center, Celine Dion sang her 1993 hit “The Power of Love.”

Or, more accurately, she SANG it. Like it was the last song she was ever going to sing in her life. Like she had just won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony in the same night. Like the planet was about to plummet into the sun, making it the final song every last human on Earth would ever hear.

It was the fifth song of her set.

That’s how the 51-year-old Canadian powerhouse vocalist rolls. She does not seek to merely entertain, she wants to astound. Dion never phones it in, never punts and never avoids a difficult note. If anything, she makes her songs even harder to sing, like her cover of Eric Carmen’s “All by Myself,” which she belted at such a volume, I can’t help but think the better part of downtown Minneapolis heard her.

Yes, Dion isn’t afraid to indulge in schmaltz. And her insistence on consistent bombast can be grating.

But still.

The thing about Celine Dion is that she makes it all look so easy. Did she even break a sweat Friday night, in front of a sold-out crowd of more than 14,000? No. No, she did not. (It helps that her stage was designed largely without steps. The stage moved to accommodate her, not the other way around.)

The show marked Dion’s first Twin Cities performance in 11 years, but it’s not like she hasn’t been working. She’s spent the past decade performing an extended Las Vegas residency while working in overseas legs when possible. Early on Friday, she lamented the time away: “They locked me up in the Nevada desert. Well, you know what? I found my wings and I escaped.”

Some 17 musicians — including string and horn sections — backed Dion. But if, say, the piano wasn’t used on a number, the pianist and his instrument descended into the stage, only to emerge when needed again.

Dion indulged in five costume changes, the majority of which proudly displayed her impressively muscular arms. At one point, she sauntered on stage in a modified tuxedo with massively puffy sleeves she tore away and announced: “That’s all that’s coming off.” Later, she mentioned “my most difficult moments,” a reference to the 2016 deaths — two days apart — of her husband, Rene Angelil, and her brother Daniel before doing the title track of her upcoming new album “Courage.”

Beyond that, though, the concert was about power and confidence and Dion’s otherworldly talent. When she did “The Prayer,” her duet with Andrea Bocelli, she went ahead and sang (and nailed) his part as well.

Dion wrapped her main set with a spirited medley of covers, including David Bowie’s “Let’s Dance,” Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust” and Prince’s “Kiss.” None of those three really ever quite landed, but she recovered with fiery takes on Tina Turner’s “River Deep, Mountain High” and LaBelle’s “Lady Marmalade.”

When she returned for the encore, Dion began an almost demure version of her signature number, “My Heart Will Go On.” And it seemed like her cloud-like white ruffled dress was the biggest special effect of the song. That is, of course, until more than 100 drones surrounded her, changing colors and seeming to dance around her in a midair, fully choreographed routine. When she wrapped the evening with “Imagine,” one couldn’t help but wonder if she had the ghost of John Lennon in the wings waiting to join her.
      Celine Dion's heart still in it as she makes overdue Twin Cities pilgrimage

A lot has happened in the 11 years since Celine Dion last performed in the Twin Cities, a lull that ended with her sold-out concert Friday night at Target Center.

In her personal life, the French Canadian superstar became a mom to twin boys in 2010 but then lost her husband and manager, René Angélil, to cancer in 2016. In her professional life, she faded from the charts and Top 40 radio — after landing such 1990s megahits as “Because You Loved Me” and the “Titanic” theme “My Heart Will Go On” — but she gained new ground as one of the biggest attractions in Las Vegas with a residency at Caesars Palace.

Amid all those ups and downs, the world around her has also been topsy-turvy, so a little melodramatic balladry and light pop fluff with a lot of riveting vocal power and classic diva showmanship seemed like a welcome distraction.

Dion, 51, offered all that along with a hi-fi, new stage production as she brought her Courage World Tour to Minneapolis, only the 10th stop on a 122-show trek that continues for another year.

The 14,000 or so fans were unusually pumped and giddy. Their excitement was evident even during the preshow DJ dance party, in which Bee Gees and Earth, Wind & Fire classics sparked hordes of sequined shirts, silk scarves and tight pants spinning to the music. Some of the women in the crowd were also as fancily dressed.

When Celine walked out in a solitary spotlight before the opening song “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now,” she drove fans wild with a simple fist pump, like something out of the last WWE Raw wrestling event at the arena.

“It’s been more than 10 years since we were last here,” the star said one song later. “I mean come on, that’s way too long. We’re gonna fix it.”

All kinds of random comparisons came up in the two-hour performance that ensued.

Dion talked enough between songs and delivered enough costume changes (five) to keep up with Cher. She started out in a sparkly red, high-slit dress, ended in a giant, white Met Gala-worthy ballgown, and in between wore a tuxedo shirt with sleeves big and billowy enough to pass for white sleeping bags.

“That’s all that’s coming off,” she quipped after tearing those sleeves off following “The Prayer,” which she convincingly delivered without duet partner Andrea Bocelli. “That’s called a quick change.”

Her wardrobe breaks were filled in with video montages that looked like shelved Chanel or Obsession perfume TV ads. Her corny, cackled one-liners suggested she could head to the Catskills after her Vegas residency wraps. And her mash-up of “Another One Bites the Dust,” “Lady Marmalade,” Bowie’s “Let’s Dance” and Prince’s “Kiss” before the encore felt a whole lot like a clunky amusement-park variety show. Funky, she is not.

On the music front, Dion’s elaborate/grandiose string arrangements, hardworking backup singers and (for better or worse) utter lack of looseness and spontaneity often recalled a Neil Diamond performance.

“To Love You More,” for instance, was overflowing with lush violin and harmonious voices in a manner that matched the puffiness of those detachable shirtsleeves. You can thus imagine how mushy her version of Eric Carmen’s “All by Myself” also was.

More effectively, Dion’s new single, “Courage” proved to be an against-all-odds, arms-wide-open power ballad that stood out as one of the mid-show highlights. And her version of John Lennon’s “Imagine,” which ended the concert after “My Heart Goes On,” was fully moving and of-the-moment.

Thanks probably to the regularity of her Las Vegas residency — and maybe to the fact that she started her career so young (13), and is thus still more agile than many of her veteran peers — Dion sang with all the gusto and precision that fans expected. She nailed the most megasized notes in “The Power of Love” and “Because You Loved Me” and delivered impressive new vocal aerobics in another new song, “Lying Down.”

With a voice like that, Dion really didn’t need all that much courage to finally go back on tour.
      Drop the medley Celine!

Comment

• <3

Comment

• Record breaking please
          BARBRA
          ?Mom of Divas
          ?2Osc+  10Gram+  5Em+  Tony 
          ?Best-selling ? Artist
          ?Biggest Box office Actress
          ?Only Artist No.1 in 7 Decades
          ?1st Osc? Composer

Comment

• Another packed house!

Comment

• So true.

Comment

• i am impressed with her renditions of The Prayer on this tour.

Comment

• the Louisville box office data has been published by Pollstar (non-members can’t see specifics unfortunately, only that it’s there), so I’m wondering if this means that we can expect some Billboard data today.

Comment

• Originally posted by exfactor003 View Post
                    the Louisville box office data has been published by Pollstar (non-members can’t see specifics unfortunately, only that it’s there), so I’m wondering if this means that we can expect some Billboard data today.
                    I’m not sure if [MENTION=35001]Instinct[/MENTION] still has access and can post the results?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                      I’m not sure if [MENTION=35001]Instinct[/MENTION] still has access and can post the results?
                      Here ya go!

Comment

• Crikey, I’m surprised they reported that!

I can’t recall the last time she performed to a less than 100% venue outside of Vegas! I’m really surprised by how low the number is.

Thanks for posting Instinct!

Comment

• Wow, I thought the gross would be bigger with prices on this tour. Even though the lowest-biggest range is low. Are prices only amped up in Europe????
                          I have received many gifts from God,
                          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• I don’t know, I am shocked - is that the lowest average ticket price for a single concert she’s had since...1999?!

Comment

I don’t know, I am shocked - is that the lowest average ticket price for a single concert she’s had since...1999?!
                              Ne: average ticket price was lower during her US leg of the TCWT in 2008-2009 ;)
                              It was circa 80$ back then vs. 100$ now.

But lower than her European tours since 2013 indeed (eg. circa 195 $ in 2013, 140 $ in both 2016 and 2017)

Comment

I don’t know, I am shocked - is that the lowest average ticket price for a single concert she’s had since...1999?!
                                a number of North American TCWT shows had average ticket prices of less than $100. in both Milwaukee and Portland, the average ticket price was less than $70! this is the lowest average ticket price since Jamaica 2012 ($102.53).

it’s quite a poor score. I’m thinking that it’s the result of all of the tickets that were sold via the $20 promotion. Ticketmaster is bound to report it as sold-out, at least let’s hope so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critiaslux View Post
                                  Ne: average ticket price was lower during her US leg of the TCWT in 2008-2009 ;)
                                  It was circa 80$ back then vs. 100$ now.
                                  oops, you beat me to it, but regarding this, the average ticket price for the US as a whole during the TCWT was around $105 ($75,225,419 gross, 716,869 spectators).

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                  I can’t recall the last time she performed to a less than 100% venue outside of Vegas!
                                  Auckland 2018 (by only 44 tickets ).
                                  Last edited by exfactor003; Tue November 5th, 2019, 23:13.

Comment

• Her prices are not really that expensive. To be honest, I was a bit shook when she announced it because I thought she would charge way more.

And she has some non sold out dates on Pollstar, but somehow Billboard always gives her 100%

Comment

• Originally posted by exfactor003 View Post
                                      oops, you beat me to it, but regarding this, the average ticket price for the US as a whole during the TCWT was around $105 ($75,225,419 gross, 716,869 spectators).

Auckland 2018 (by only 44 tickets ).
                                      Pollstar or Billboard numbers? I thought they were declared as 100% sold-out.

Comment

Pollstar or Billboard numbers? I thought they were declared as 100% sold-out.
                                        my bad, I meant to say Perth, lol.

Comment

• I expected more too, but it's not that bad for her first time in Louisville, i guess..

Comment

• It's Kentucky though, I don't think she'll have the same grosses for other cities. But to beat her own record or Madonna's, she'll have to step up and extend this to possibly stadiums in South America, and go back to Asia and Australia.

Comment

• Top cities like Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Uniondale, Newark etc will obviously make more than this, but her average price for the entire leg won't be different, I guess.

Her prices are 'ok' (and way too cheap for what she charges internationally), and probably will be smaller than Ariana Grande, Pink, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez, Cher etc which is a disappointment.

Hopefully the European dates won't disappoint.

Comment

• Originally posted by matheusbelmont View Post
                                                Top cities like Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Uniondale, Newark etc will obviously make more than this, but her average price for the entire leg won't be different, I guess.

Her prices are 'ok' (and way too cheap for what she charges internationally), and probably will be smaller than Ariana Grande, Pink, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez, Cher etc which is a disappointment.

Hopefully the European dates won't disappoint.
                                                She has like 80 dates in North America (Canada and USA). I can't see any of the foregoing artists being in a position to have such a huge leg. What she is pulling is phenomenal. The number of shows is large. I guess the decision taken by her team has been that she would gross more with more shows than a limited number of shows with higher everage price per ticket. Only a very limited number of artists can actually pull it off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philippe View Post
                                                  She has like 80 dates in North America (Canada and USA). I can't see any of the foregoing artists being in a position to have such a huge leg. What she is pulling is phenomenal. The number of shows is large. I guess the decision taken by her team has been that she would gross more with more shows than a limited number of shows with higher everage price per ticket. Only a very limited number of artists can actually pull it off.
                                                  I know. This leg should be done in two parts with 30-35 shows in each. It would help a lot with more expensive tickets.

I believe that they booked so many shows with such cheap prices just to help the sales for the album with the bundle. I always thought that this tour should have started only next year. There was no other reason to start it this year.

First leg (North America): February-April (30 dates)
                                                  Second leg (Europe): May-July (25-30 stadium shows)
                                                  Third leg (Asia): August (5 shows)
                                                  Fourth leg (North American): September-November (35 shows)

Comment

• Celine Dion Courage World Tour Concert moved to Ta’ Qali
                                                    Pre-sale tickets to the Celine Dion Malta concert were sold out in less than 24 hours

Due to an unprecedented demand for pre-sale tickets, NnG Promotions has announced a new venue for Celine Dion’s Courage World Tour Concert being held on the 27th July 2020. Pre-sale tickets to see and hear one of the most legendary superstars in pop music history sold out in less than 24 hours on the 2nd October.

NnG promotions and the artist’s management confirmed Malta’s biggest open air venue, Ta’ Qali, to accommodate the massive demand from concert-goers to see Dion perform for the very first time ever in Malta.

https://newsbook.com.mt/en/celine-di...ed-to-ta-qali/

Comment

• I am not that worried about how low this boxscore is. She is doing the cheaper ticketed cities first. Wait till she gets to the bigger ones where the front row tickets move from the current $210 to $1200.

Comment

• to put into perspective the low average ticket price, it should be noted that of all of the KFC Yum! Center Billboard-reported box scores of the past 3 years, the highest average ticket price was that of Metallica, with 'only' $116.91. here's the list, from highest to lowest:

Spoiler!

I don't think it's much cause for concern. I only hope that Billboard reports it as sold-out. I think that we should also prepare for quite a low average ticket price in Fargo (possibly less than $100).
                                                        Last edited by exfactor003; Thu November 7th, 2019, 11:14.

Comment

• ^ brilliant insight [MENTION=29081]exfactor003[/MENTION]!

Comment

• Love these arena shots:

Comment

• The final gross will be excellent, don't worry about 1 or 2 city.
                                                              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                              X