Madonna - Madame X Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadingLight View Post

She never cancelled a Saturday show and she’s not performing on the 28th.
    She said she needs two days of rest after 2 back to back shows and lately did exactly like that. Unless both shows on Feb 29 and March 1 will be short ones.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

She said she needs two days of rest after 2 back to back shows and lately did exactly like that. Unless both shows on Feb 29 and March 1 will be short ones.
      She did Saturday shows in full form in London after 2 back to back shows, so...

Comment

• Originally posted by FadingLight View Post

She did Saturday shows in full form in London after 2 back to back shows, so...
        She had 2 days of rest before doing 2 back to back shows. That's also one of the reasons why the show on 25th was cancelled.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• beredy have fun tonight, hope it's gonna be a great show!
          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Thank you spiritboy!
            I have received many gifts from God,
            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
              Thank you spiritboy!
              Oh wow, so today is your day: enjoy it !!

waiting for your thoughts about the show!!

Comment

• The show finished half an hour ago. I'll write more about it tomorrow, but why doesn't anyone talk about the excellent warm up act ffs?
                Those versions of Secret, Don't Tell Me, Who's That Girl and Like a Virgin were so fun to listen to and the crowd singing along was a great experience.

Comment

The show finished half an hour ago. I'll write more about it tomorrow, but why doesn't anyone talk about the excellent warm up act ffs?
                  Those versions of Secret, Don't Tell Me, Who's That Girl and Like a Virgin were so fun to listen to and the crowd singing along was a great experience.
                  Oops, true! They are amazing. In fact, the musicians on this tour are incredible, all of them.
                  “A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.” - Bette Davis

Comment

• I mean they were fine but I was there to see Madonna.

Comment

• It seems she fell from the chair during Vogue and she entered the stage trembling ( due to a strong cold)

I m starting to fear for my date!!

Comment

• Reading the reviews from last night is quite hurtful.

She is a real warrior.
                        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Well I don't think I can keep this short. So here's my review broken in two parts.

PART ONE ​​​​Le Grand Rex and the warm up act.

First off, the venue! When I was coming out of the metro, the first thing I have noticed was a huge line around the building block - on both sides of the theater doors!!! It was already 9 PM and I kind of expected most of people to be inside already. But despite a huge line it moved rather quickly and I was inside in 20 minutes or so. What surprised me when I got in was that the theater was pretty empty. So honestly, late start in Paris isn't her fault as people just weren't there.

While the inside of Le Grand Rex looks somewhat fairy tale-ish (these buildings around the stage look like something out of 1001 Nights mixed with some Greek/Roman statues) in the pictures online, once inside I honestly found it to look cheap, tacky and trashy. My seat was on the balcony and I was surprised to see how steep it was and I was only in one of the middle rows. People in the back probably saw only top of the heads and shoulders. I sligthly regretted I bought this seat because there was one floor seat available too, but it was far back and I thought I'd see better on the balcony and I lower the chances of someone tall getting in my way. But that's something you can't change! Also the seats are pretty narrow and very uncomfortable. There's virtually no leg room. I'm not a very tall person so my legs aren't long but I felt cramped while I was sitting and waiting for the show. I spent some time looking around and it was fun seeing how most of the people looked uncomfortable in their seats.

The crowd was a healthy mix of young people, middle aged ones and older people (and some were REALLY old) and it felt like there's a 50/50 split between males (gays) and females. Didn't see many people in thematic clothing though which I expected. One random clown (don't know if it was a boy or a girl) and a middle aged woman trying to pull off 80's Madonna look (white asymetrical looking T-shirt with a belt around it, one black glove, blonde hair with black streaks in it - I think you all know which look this is).

The first thing you notice is how out of place the Madame X stage looks there. She wasn't kidding when she said it was too big. It looked like a very awkward fit with the rest of its surroundings and you could actually see the scaffolding completely touching these campy buildings around the stage. I'll come back to the stage size in the show review.

So after a lot of sitting and waiting (I don't have a watch and neither did the people around me) the warm up act played. I was actually surprised as I had no idea there even was a warm up act. But man, they were brilliant. After each original song (or maybe those were traditional songs from some region, or maybe some popular songs from Portugal reworked - I honestly don't know) they followed up with a Madonna rework. Secret, Don't Tell Me, Who's That Girl and Like a Virgin all sounded phenomenal and the crowd singing along to them was a great experience. It definitely liked how included the audience (and me) was. Secret was especially great and made me think how Bedtime Stories would sound amazing in these Portugal/fado/world music inspired versions. Considering that Bedtime album never got a tour it would have been incredible if MXT included the songs from that album in a bigger number to make up for it.

Looking around I noticed that while maybe 85%-90% audience was there there were still visible patches of seating free. Now this was already way past 10:30 once the warm up act finished so I didn't know if these seats just weren't sold or people were still coming in. But as the show was approaching these seats filled out too... And with some easy listening jazz music the announcer made a couple of calls for everyone to take their seat as "the tonight's showing of Madame X is about to begin shortly" also thanking us for our patience...

OK, now I'm off to have a lunch. Actual show review after.

Comment

• Nice detailed read beredy

can’t wait to read the rest

Comment

• beredy is such a teaser
                              Bring on the review already bitch.
                              Yours is the one I've been waiting for the most lol

Comment

• PART TWO Madame X Show Act I II

The curtains opens and Madame X Manifesto starts. It's an awkward cut of the Manifesto that's on YT as it starts quite abrubtly. I don't know what the transition from the first act to this one in the full show looks and feels like and if it's any smoother, but you can definitely tell this wasn't meant as an opening.

I do wonder why they cut the opening act and not some other one, or removed a song from each act. It would've been a better choice narratively. A proper opening is heavily needed, so can't wait for the film to come out to fill out the missing pieces.

Vogue starts and right from the get go you can tell something is off. I wasn't close to her but it seemed to me from the very first second like she wasn't really on stage. And she walked a bit strange. As she was going up the stairs to start the song she sounded good, but something was off. People here have already reported that she fell off the chair. But before that one of her dancers nearly lost his balance while he was holding her. Then as she was supposed to sit on the chair (which was either wrongly placed tonight or because her mind was obviously somewhere else at the beginning) she barely hit the tip of the chair and slid down to the floor of the podium where the desk with the typewriter was. Well, she had worse falls I told myself, but still the whole thing felt off. After that the dancer repositioned the chair so she could sit but turned the backrest sideways to the desk and towards the audience. She sat on the chair to do the typewriting, but because it was clearly different to the way she is used to in perfomances and rehearsals, it annoyed her and you could tell she was pissed as she herself tried to turn around the chair in a pretty "I'm so fckuing over it" way but didn't succed much. Try to find the image of that setup and you'll see there's not that much maneuvering place on that podium. It was pretty clear that something was off. Vogue finished and the Polaroid auction came...

She was on her knees taking a polaroid (second one) and she said: "This isn't my night obviously." and said the polaroid looks bad and she is going to take another one hoping it comes out better. But it wasn't what she said, it was how she said it. You could clearly tell she was distressed and not in a good place. Now I have seen some other videos of her in this position as she posted some of these herself on Instagram and she always says she is hurting and asks for a chair. But this time she said it with a shaky voice and in tears. It was heartbreaking to hear it and see it. A person whose work you have admired for so long and you're watching her perform for the first time and expect to see that fcuking amazing performer that she really is and instead of that strong woman you know she is you get to see someone hurting. I won't lie, I cried there a bit. She continued with "I'm in a lot of pain right. But I'm not saying this because I want your pity. I have made my bed... And I'm going to finish this tour no matter what.". And if you know Madonna you're probably imagining this being said in a confident FU kind of way and acting tough for the crowd. But nope. Shaky shaky voice, holding back tears. She sounded almost like she was thinking out loud and trying to convince herself she can do it but she's not able to.

The Polaroid went to the guy from Romania. When she saw him she told him he looked familiar and if she's right he was already trying to buy one before but he was cheap. Tonight he came with €3000. When she spread out the bills she felt like there were too little of them but she didn't count. She told him that if he shortchanged her, her team knows where he's sitting and he won't have a good time. Again, now you're probably imagining that cheeky Madonna while reading this. But nope. She was still holding back tears, just trying to go through this. During the auction she commented how kids in Malawi have nothing but they are always happy and smiling. And how we have everything but are rarely happy and how that balance is off. Again, I don't know if this is the usual thing she says, but the way she said it seemed like she was coming from a place where she's thinking about much more than this tour.

She offered him the two reject Polaroids, but he said no and she said she was going to throw them into the trash later then. A thought crossed my my mind to yell if she was going to take my piss poor wallet contents for one of the rejects, but knowing Madonna she would shut me down. But after the show I kind of regretted not doing it because I could at least say I got shot down by her.

At this point I was fine with her saying: I tried, but sorry I can't go on with the show tonight. I really felt uncomfortable with the idea of enjoying a show where another person is clearly hurting?!? So I had a lot of mixed emotions at the beginning.

I Don't Search I Find and American Life were next. Her voice wasn't all there (we all have cried and you know how it takes a while to regain your normal speech, so same way with the singing). It did seem like AL gave her a bit of a needed anger as her yell at the end really did seem like she was trying to get everything out of the system and get into the groove for the night.

Let me say that the crowd was amazing. They were supportive as fcuk. Even though AL obviously isn't a fan favorite (as it seemed to me that I was the only one in the audience moving to it), when she screamed she got a huge roar and applause. I think everybody knew she needed that positive energy from the crowd so we gave it to her.

Also at this point I was already impressed by the staging and the show itself. Yes, it's very theatrical but just with the first 3 songs the whole stage seemed to move and change all the time. And that was just a taste of things to come...

Comment

• CandyShop BodyShop sorry guys the weather in Paris is terrible and can't type when I'm outside walking/strolling. Too cold for fingers and rainy. Also spent the last half hour typing this in bits and ended up being a huge text and I'm just at the beginning. LOL. I'll try to be a bit shorter about the rest of the show.

Comment

• Omg reading your review made me think I can’t wait for this tour to end and give the Queen a proper rest: this is too much for her.

I feel sorry for her,

Comment

CandyShop BodyShop sorry guys the weather in Paris is terrible and can't type when I'm outside walking/strolling. Too cold for fingers and rainy. Also spent the last half hour typing this in bits and ended up being a huge text and I'm just at the beginning. LOL. I'll try to be a bit shorter about the rest of the show.
                                      No worries baby.
                                      I'm actually speechless at this first part of the show review.
                                      I feel so bad to know she's going through such a hard time :/

Comment

• Wow so many emotional reviews about the show you attended beredy .
                                        In all of them, people said the same thing. How she was is such pain during the Polaroid break that it was visible.
                                        How she cried not in a playing the victim card way but because she couldn't take it and also how she said it "I'm going to finish this F'ing tour no matter what this will cost me" .
                                        I'm feel heartbroken for her.
                                        Ppl also talked about how everything changed once Batuka was on and how,despite her pain,she seemed to feed off everyone's energy .
                                        Every single review I've read (around 7 or 8) also talked about how the crowd was incredibly supportive of her and how,despite all the bad things she was fighting against that night,the show was still full of energy and stuff.
                                        I feel really proud of her but still,so sad to know how bad she feels whenever she comes on stage and how that will get even worse from now on every night.
                                        I just wish this ends so she can take care of herself <3

Comment

• PART THREE She Rises

​​It's time for Batuka and now you can really tell how small the Grand Rex stage is and how it's a tight fit with the MXT stage idea. The Batukadeiras are cramped around the carpet in a strict rectangle around it (while in the pictures and the video Madonna posted on her Insta you can see how more relaxed and in an anguler line they've been put). They're also so tight to each other that not only are they banging drums but each others' elbows too. Kind of like the audience in those terribly narrow seats. Also Batuka sounds much better live. Still don't need the vocoder on the vocals.

A dancer helps Madonna get down the stage, makes a cha cha move with her once she gets down and leaves. You can tell she's having problems but she does feel more at ease. Wishful thinking or is her knee warming up a bit? She also sounds much better. Hardly any shaking to the voice.

She chats with the usual bit of living in Portugal and the inspiration she drew from there. Talks about Celeste and asks for her nephew to join in. He brings a bottle of beer and they share it a little before Fado Pechincha. No beer bitch segment tonight. She sounds great. Divine even. She really grew into a rich deep tone which works great on songs like these (and she pulls out a song she hasn't done in a while which ends up probably being her strongest performance of the night for me).

The upward momentum continues in Killers and Crazy. She looks more relaxed, moves seemingly with more ease, although you can clearly see from time to time she takes a moment or makes the dance moves easier or simpler (after watching her performances and tours, you know she's not about just making a random step out of sync while everyone else is dancing around her). Again the stage continues to change all the time, every song gets its unique setting, visuals, color scheme... There isn't a lack of movement at any certain part of the show. Whether it's the performance or she's chatting - the dancers continue to make it seem like they're talking too, they move a bit. You can watch Madonna or you can watch around and still see things going on. All the time the crowd is cheering (even when there's a lack of movement which indicates to me that they either don't know the song or don't care much about it at all) the crowd rewards her with clapping. I can't speak for others, but for me I tried to give my all with positivity. She is obviously going through all this for the fans and I wanted her to know how much I appreciate that. And it felt like the whole crowd was thinking in the same direction. She sounds really good in Crazy.

She talks more about fado. Asks do we know what it means and represents... And announces that Madame X is opening her fado club for one night only while taking a sip of porto. Now this made me think how cool of a concept this would have been for the tour actually. To make the whole tour be about one night only fado club where the audience are its guests, where we learn what Madame X represents (opening act), where she would recount her travels (Medellin, Batuka, Crazy) take a stand and throw out people who come into the club with their hate (American Life, Killers) and finish with her idea of where we should all go next (the last section from Frozen to the end). I kind of think that concept would have been amazing.

This section was amazing. She was great vocally, looked like she was finally in a super good mood and positive. Easily one of the highlights for me. The crowd reacted great on all "one two cha cha chas". After she finished opening the club she said she needed to get off the piano, but she wanted us to repeat after her so she could get down. "Madame X is the Queen.". Of course everyone repeated it, but she said she was only joking. She continued with saying that she feels like she's going crazy. The crowd was saying "Noooooo.." (of course), but she went on and said that she feels like her menthal health is suffering. Now, this might sound like she was in a bad mood again, but to me she sounded just a bit cynical and somehow tongue in cheek. I can't really explain it. She did make some pun "Don't feel sorry for me going crazy be happy for me because ____________." and then the guy next to me decided to stop acting like a stone statue and made a loud yell and clapped for the first time which made me miss the end of that sentence. I would say she was just (again) thinking out loud and aknowledging herself that she has made some bad choices with this tour but she is sticking by them and she won't stop no matter what.

Medellin hit it with the audience again with the one two cha cha moment. Extreme Occident might be my favorite song off MX and a simple, but powerful performance (she really sounds great here) does it justice. At the point when the stairs start spinning and she's laying on one of them something happened which made her look around in panic for a bit (maybe the guy spinning the stairs was a bit too energetic this time), I haven't seen what, but she laid her head back again soon.

We all know Frozen is one of the highlights. Don't know what more I can add there. The whole performance is indeed mesmerizing and overlapping Madonna and Lola dancing was a stroke of genius. Come Alive translates well live and it's a fun performance. I like how there are a lot of ethnic dances thrown around throughout the whole show. After Come Alive the curtains close, but Madonna decides to sit down on the stairs and take a glass of champagne. She does the Champagna Rose line and laughs and drinks it. Comments how she's mixing all the alchol tonight which might not be a good thing. She says (mistakenly) s'il te plaît to the audience, then corrects herself with s'il vous plaît, because she doesn't know us and she used the wrong pronoun. Comments how French people are complicated like that and that's probably why they're drunk all the time. She performs La vie en rose and asks for help as she admits she didn't do it in a while and will probably need a help with a line or two. The whole crowd was singing it and she delivered an absolutely amazing rendition of the song. I've seen a lot of RHT performances of the song (as I truly love Madonna doing that song), but this was easily just out of this world and truly a vocal highlight of the evening for me. And how she picked the lines she didn't know from the audience was cute and added a lot to the spontaneity.

Future comes next. I have heard before that the tour mix is better. For me the music is indeed better than the album version, but I have no idea why they insist on the same vocoder crap in live performances too. Still a shitty song due to that. And especially coming off such a strong a capella vocal performance where her voice was soooo rich and full souding. This was the only misstep as far as track list goes for me.

Like a Prayer got the whole crowd worked up. Some people mind seeing it every time on tour, but this is a crowd pleaser, no way around it. And even though there were better mixes of it before, the song is still as massive and powerful as always.

I Rise works great as the final song of the track list. Again you can see how smaller the stage is because at one point the dancers do a bowing movement turned toward the back of the stage but the two ones all the way at the back are barely able to make a small bow due to them being nearly face to face with the curtain screen. The only thing I would do was to have a camera following them go out and show it on the stage screen (it's there alrready!). Because for the most people on the balcony, once she made two steps down to the audience she was already gone and it was weird hearing her sing and looking at an empty stage where nothing happens.

Overall it was a truly an emotional rollercoaster of a show. What started out with such a truly heartbreaking moment that made me cry was turned around into a strong, as energetic as possible, convincing, truly amazing show. And all because of that strong woman and a performer, we all know Madonna is, managed to come through against all the negative stuff and shine again. Yeah, you can say it's such a cliche thing to say and it really is. But you would say the same thing if you were there and felt it all. I feel like this was a crucial show of the tour for her. She was literally broken at the start but managed to turn it around completely. And I want to believe her fans helped her get there as there was nothing but positive energy all the time. Cheering, singing, laughing...

It's not a concert. It's not a theater show. It's truly something unique that Madonna has crafted here. It's an amazing production and at one point I counted 30 people + Madonna on stage. For a theater show!!!!!!!! She really went all out with this one and it payed off. I'm truly grateful for her doing the show. As I said, I wouldn't mind if she said stop the show after the Polaroid auction. But no. She just proved she truly is the woman I admired all this time. I guess life is funny like that. The first time ever I was able to go to a Madonna show (MDNA Tour in Zagreb) it got canceled. I went out a bit with this tour because I had the feeling inside that it's now or never when it comes for me seeing Madonna live. I didn't actually care about how good of a show it will be. I literally bought the tickets with some of the last money I had back in June. Then the cancelation fear started. And when I was finally sitting and waiting for that curtain to open I saw something I didn't expect to see at all. We have all known about the injury, but Madonna looking and sounding broken and defeated? But there's such a huge strength in that woman. She's not broken or defeated. She's just a human. A relentless, opinionated, headstrong fighter who doesn't give up. Ever.

​​​I'll end up with something Madonna said which I've purposely been saving for the end because I think it perfectly sums the whole journey of this Feb 27th show: "Don't think just because I'm acting like a f*cking crybaby in front of you, I can't kick every single one of your asses."

​​​​​​And that's just what she did.
                                          Last edited by beredy; Fri February 28, 2020, 20:46.

Comment

• Whew. Next time I'm not writing a book I promise! ​​​​​​

Comment

• Absolutely fantastic review beredy
                                              Thank you so much ! <3

Comment

• Fantastic review Beredy, such a pleasure to read your words. I could have go on and on.
                                                5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Reading your review it was like you took me there.
                                                  thank you beredy: I m so glad you attended the show after all, and above all u had a great time.

Comment

• Great review beredy, i'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Now, i hope they'll put the show on Netflix once the tour is over.
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                    X