Important - Password Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important - Password Changes

I just wanted to give you all the heads up that as part of increasing account security for our registered users, all registered users at UKMIX be required to change your passwords in the coming days - I'm introducing a new Password Policy as part of a wider review of security at the site and following advice from our web hosts.

Why are we being asked to change our passwords?

In reality, it should've probably been a requirement for many years now - if you think about how often larger corporations that hold your data ask you to change your password (some every month, some less frequently), this really shouldn't be too much of an ask. Some of you might already change your password of your own accord, but I fear that most will be using the same password to access UKMIX that they've used for many years. We have a data privacy policy as is required under European law, and as both the owner of UKMIX and the Data Controller under law, I am required to safeguard the personal data I hold (which is extremely limited, but still personal data nonetheless). Most website owners that use hosting companies have received communication in recent weeks informing them that the number of hacks, phishing emails and data breaches has dramatically increased during COVID-19 as more people are using the internet more frequently than ever before, which nefarious individuals are taking advantage of. I'm therefore using this opportunity to introduce these measures.

Will I have to change my password again?

Moving forward, the requirement to change your password will exist every 180 days - so roughly every 6 months, you will be required to change your password (there will be separate requirements for the moderation team due to the access privileges they have and the moderation tools available to them - I will confirm this separately with them). I would strongly encourage you all to use a combination of characters, numbers and symbols - make your passwords as secure as possible. In addition to having to change your password every 180 days, you will also not be able to use the same password within a 365 day period.

What happens if I forget my password?

If you forget your password, you should use the "Forgotten Password" link as seen below:

This will generate a password reset link that will be sent to your registered email address within 15 minutes (it's usually instant, but sometimes takes a bit longer dependent on the server). If the link isn't in your inbox within 15 minutes, please check your Junk or Spam folder as it might end up there. If you're still having issues, you will be able to email me at wayne@ukmix.org or utilise the "Contact Us" facility at the bottom of the page. With this in mind, I would strongly advise all members to check that the email account they have registered here is an account they still have access to.

Introducing "Secure Word" for UKMIX users.

All users will be required to have a "Secure Word" on their accounts - this is a special word that you can use to regain access to your account in the event you are having password reset issues (e.g. some people forget their passwords but can't reset them as they have old email accounts that they no longer use) - in the event you make contact with Administrators outside of UKMIX (potentially via Twitter or Facebook, or via email), you will be asked to provide this word when asking to regain access to your account. This will be a mandatory field for all registered users that you will be asked to input next time you edit your profile (I'd advise you do it now) - do not use your password, it must be a memorable word to you but shouldn't be your password.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

For information, you can change your password now - but failing that, you'll be forced to change it next Saturday (basically - you've got a week before the above comes into effect).

Comment

Hello. Great idea. I have changed mine so this isn't an urgent question but the settings page was rather annoying as usual and i had several attempts at doing a change before i had to log out and do a "forgotten password". I couldn't work out how to do it while still being logged in.

You must enter your current password if you wish to change your password or email address.
      The current password is automatically Google saved so i don't have to re-enter it? Or do i?
      Any time i tried to enter the new password below it in the 2 boxes it told me my current password was not valid.

I don't want to have press "forgotten password" every time i want to change it.
      Last edited by Blondini; Sat June 6, 2020, 22:17.
      Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

I got logged out on my phone and when I try to log in with my new password it says “you do not have a valid password configured for your account” and asks me to reset it again?

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
          I got logged out on my phone and when I try to log in with my new password it says “you do not have a valid password configured for your account” and asks me to reset it again?
          Just had this same issue.
          I had to change it again via forgotten password.

Comment

Originally posted by nympho View Post

Just had this same issue.
            I had to change it again via forgotten password.
            I've also had the same issue - guess you can't be too secure.

I've no idea why, will see whether the VB developers know why.

Comment

got logged out of my account but got it sorted out now... phew! was scared for a minute there hahaha All is well now!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                With this in mind, I would strongly advise all members to check that the email account they have registered here is an account they still have access to.
                For this reason, I really wish there had been an advance warning... I tried to log in immediately after reading this post, only to find myself locked out. And it was only then that I realized the email address connected to my account was from a terrible provider that keeps deleting accounts that haven't been visited in a while, and this was exactly what had happened to mine. I had to recreate that account (something I hadn't been able to do before) to log in.

It all worked out in the end (and I changed my email in the settings), but the disaster almost happened. I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else (who might not be able to do what I did)!

Comment

Originally posted by setg1 View Post

For this reason, I really wish there had been an advance warning... I tried to log in immediately after reading this post, only to find myself locked out. And it was only then that I realized the email address connected to my account was from a terrible provider that keeps deleting accounts that haven't been visited in a while, and this was exactly what had happened to mine. I had to recreate that account (something I hadn't been able to do before) to log in.

It all worked out in the end (and I changed my email in the settings), but the disaster almost happened. I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else (who might not be able to do what I did)!
                  Everyone has until next Saturday before they will be forced to change their password - so hopefully this isn’t an issue for too many people.

Comment

Done! And everything was ok for me both in my computer as in my phone
                    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
                    ENJOY Hits in the Mix! weekly chart @ General Music

Comment

Done
                      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Done.

I've had the same password since I signed up at 2am on Sunday 26 August 2001! (I remember the time clearly because when I was signing up the breaking news headline was that Aaliyah had been killed in a plane crash, the news was breaking at 2am UK time). Perhaps I should have changed it a bit more frequently than once in just under 19 years... unbelievably I still have the same email address too. And I still have the email welcoming me to UKMix that Lars used to send out back then to new arrivals.

Comment

Looks like this really isn't my day on the forums... I can log in now, but I'm getting nothing but a grey screen in several threads: at least the Helpdesk thread (where I'd have posted this if I could) and the UKmixPARADE thread. Some other threads in the same boards work, though. I can see the threads when I'm not logged in.

It appears to be the same problem RayRay mentioned here (though it's always just the background, it doesn't keep loading)...
                          https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...6#post10413544

Edit: It might have something to do with the size of a thread. All the threads I haven't been able to open have more than 1000 replies – I tried a few, and all of them gave me the grey screen.

Edit 2: Now the forums work again! These posts in the Helpdesk thread helped. Yeah, the thread with the solution was one I couldn't access when logged in.

Originally posted by nympho View Post
                          I had this issue again today with all threads where I’ve ever posted not loading, blank, so I had to change from “forum default" to "show 40 posts per page" on display mode.

Probably others users are having it too.
                          Originally posted by Wayne View Post

You've had it because you've had to change your password or you've amended your profile - whenever you amend your profile and save it, that option resets to forum default for that particular option.

Frustratingly, I thought I'd fixed it but clearly not.
                          Last edited by setg1; Sun June 7, 2020, 03:32.

Comment

Also done!
                            You drew stars around my scars

Comment

Soooo, If i click on forgot password it doesn't sent me an e-mail to the reigstered adress (which I can also see on user Seettings). If I try to change my password via user settings it says "You do not have a valid password configured for your account." despite the fact that it's the one I've been using since 2008 Which means I can also not change to another mail adress. Lucky my web browser leaves me logged in because I cannot access Ukmix via phone now.
                              Long story short: It won't accept my old password any longer but also doesn't send me an email via the forgot password function (yes i tried multiple times and checked the spam folder). Is there any way to change this?
                              Last edited by BeeBoy; Sun June 7, 2020, 10:51.
                              aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                                Soooo, If i click on forgot password it doesn't sent me an e-mail to the reigstered adress (which I can also see on user Seettings). If I try to change my password via user settings it says "You do not have a valid password configured for your account." despite the fact that it's the one I've been using since 2008 Which means I can also not change to another mail adress. Lucky my web browser leaves me logged in because I cannot access Ukmix via phone now.
                                Long story short: It won't accept my old password any longer but also doesn't send me an email via the forgot password function (yes i tried multiple times and checked the spam folder). Is there any way to change this?
                                I've just emailed you a password reminder to your register email address on this account - have you received it?

Comment

Originally posted by setg1 View Post
                                  Looks like this really isn't my day on the forums... I can log in now, but I'm getting nothing but a grey screen in several threads: at least the Helpdesk thread (where I'd have posted this if I could) and the UKmixPARADE thread. Some other threads in the same boards work, though. I can see the threads when I'm not logged in.

It appears to be the same problem RayRay mentioned here (though it's always just the background, it doesn't keep loading)...
                                  https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...6#post10413544

Edit: It might have something to do with the size of a thread. All the threads I haven't been able to open have more than 1000 replies – I tried a few, and all of them gave me the grey screen.

Edit 2: Now the forums work again! These posts in the Helpdesk thread helped. Yeah, the thread with the solution was one I couldn't access when logged in.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I read this post yesterday, I finally could go to my favorite threads again after changing my settings to "20 per page".
                                  My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Changed my password yesterday....

New password not accepted today so I've had to change it again....

Hope this doesn't happen every time I log in!

Comment

Originally posted by Metalweb View Post
                                      Changed my password yesterday....

New password not accepted today so I've had to change it again....

Hope this doesn't happen every time I log in!
                                      It shouldn't. The same thing happened to me and I'm able to log in ok now.

Might be a good idea for people to make sure the email that is on file for them is the right one.

Comment

Thank you Wayne for saving me from my first failed login attempt. Unfortunately, just like some of the users above, it keeps happening again. Had to change my password again for the second time today to be able to login now.

Comment

No retina scanning yet
                                          I thought with all the subscription money you would have that by now
                                          Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

My password problem has been resolved, thank you Wayne .
                                            My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

Just tried to change mine. "You do not have a valid password configured for your account."

Using "forgot my password" every 180 days is probably not a good idea.

Comment

Just changed my password

Comment

Looks like everything went without a problem.

I will message you on Twitter if I have some problems to log in.
                                                  Last edited by Nippian93; Mon June 8, 2020, 18:34.
                                                  Whitney Houston

Comment

Working...
                                                  X