Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had some database errors earlier this evening, which caused the short downtime we had.

We've re-added the database scheduled tasks that run every 48 hours to truncate the cache, cacheevent and searchlog tables as the hosts didn't transfer these over to the new server. That will hopefully help.

As I'm sure you'll all agree, the site is noticeably faster now but can I please reiterate that there will be a settling in period - if errors arise, please feel free to let me know via the Helpdesk or Maintenance topics and I will look at them accordingly. Your patience is as always very much appreciated.

Comment

• FYI - you might notice a change to the "Posts Per Page" setting - I have altered the master setting to 25 posts per page (in line with the old UKMIX).

You are free to change this in your own Settings to a value you prefer, but I wanted to alter the master setting now that we've moved over to the new server (unbelievably, we weren't able to do this on the old server with success - hence people often had white pages as the site defaulted to showing entire topics on one page which the database struggled to open due to memory constraints).

Comment

• That downtime wasn't related to the database thankfully, for some reason - the PHP settings on the server had been altered from 7.3 to 5.6 (I'm in the process of querying this with the host - not sure why/how this happened) but this resulted in the forum crashing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
          Eventually, I think I'm going to turn off the "Today's Posts" function - we'll have to see.
          FYI - I've switched this functionality off to non-members.

Comment

• Down for a bit this evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
              Down for a bit this evening.
              The issue with this morning was database related, hence the decision to turn off some of the functionality to non-members.

The issue this evening was server related - memory shortage (not because of a lack of memory, just need to tweak the settings further).

Comment

The issue with this morning was database related, hence the decision to turn off some of the functionality to non-members.

The issue this evening was server related - memory shortage (not because of a lack of memory, just need to tweak the settings further).
                Maybe if you restricted access to the entire lounge or chart sections for non members it would help, and maybe actually encourage them to join ?
                I am always surprised at the amount of people viewing who are not members versus the number of registered members online.
                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• GROAN.

I cannot apologise enough for the downtime that's occurred today - the intermittent downtime today has been caused by a configuration issue within the server (essentially, the server keeps automatically changing the PHP from 7.3 to 5.6 on all UKMIX domains).

I can't explain why it's doing this, I have sent a very strongly worded email to the hosts - as they are proving to be next to useless in the Live Chat conversations I'm having with them (they've actually fobbed me off this evening, which is pretty irritating given I'm given how much I'm spending with them).

It's all very draining to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Maybe if you restricted access to the entire lounge or chart sections for non members it would help, and maybe actually encourage them to join ?
                    I am always surprised at the amount of people viewing who are not members versus the number of registered members online.
                    i could be the only one, but I'm more often viewing the forum as a guest rather than logged in. I clear my cookies at least daily, and just don't bother logging back in to all my sites unless I need to.

just hoping to show why some might be guests. Not attempting to impact policy,

Comment

• Don’t stress yourself out too much boo, we will all have to deal.
                      Property of cheapthrill

Comment

• Perhaps we should GoFundMe a (hot) masseuse for Wayne

Comment

• Things were much better so i am sure they will get better soon. Thanks for al you do wayne!
                          CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                          FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• It's sadly been tragic lately.

The good thing is when it is up, things are fast.
                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Without wanting to jinx things, it does now seem to be the case that we have settled down again - we'll see how the rest of today goes and into tomorrow.

For information - the automatic backup script now runs at around 1am UK time, so the site will go offline at that time for a short time. But as we've got bigger server capacity, the site will not need to be offline for as long as we've removed the database backup compression command.

Comment

• How’s things for everyone?

I think it’s been pretty perfect for the last 36 hours hasn’t it but keen to see what others are feeling?

Comment

How’s things for everyone?

I think it’s been pretty perfect for the last 36 hours hasn’t it but keen to see what others are feeling?
                                  I spoke too soon!

Sorry for the brief downtime there, we're now struggling with a new type of error - but with a possible fix in the meantime.

Changes have been made to the MySQL settings, which has had a really good impact on the stability and reduced the database errors to next to nothing (let's hope this continues).

Comment

• Honestly, the site is still pretty unusable for me. I've tried across multiple browsers and devices and it seems to be the same on each.

What's happening with me is that topics, especially ones that are older, either load all posts on one page making the page unbearably laggy or the page doesn't load at all causing the whole site to crash for me for several minutes. One example of a topic not loading is the UKMix Helpdesk.

I'm not sure if it's just me or if others are experiencing this because I haven't seen anyone else mention it but I hardly think it's my account specifically?

Comment

• Originally posted by jason2379 View Post
                                      Honestly, the site is still pretty unusable for me. I've tried across multiple browsers and devices and it seems to be the same on each.

What's happening with me is that topics, especially ones that are older, either load all posts on one page making the page unbearably laggy or the page doesn't load at all causing the whole site to crash for me for several minutes. One example of a topic not loading is the UKMix Helpdesk.

I'm not sure if it's just me or if others are experiencing this because I haven't seen anyone else mention it but I hardly think it's my account specifically?
                                      Does this fix your issue?

Go to Profile > Edit Settings > Account:
                                      Scroll down to "Conversation Detail Options". Select "Posts per Page": Change default to 30 posts.

Comment

• Thank you Wayne! That seems to have fixed it. As I say, I couldn't even see the Helpdesk page so apologies if the fix was mentioned there

Comment

• Originally posted by jason2379 View Post
                                          Thank you Wayne! That seems to have fixed it. As I say, I couldn't even see the Helpdesk page so apologies if the fix was mentioned there
                                          No worries - your issue is not part of the wider site issues, however it's something I've never been able to fix that seems to linger regardless.

If the issue ever occurs again, you'll need to repeat this action.

Comment

• Notifications is a bit laggy, takes about ten seconds to get into the messsge centre, but all good aside that.

Comment

• Retro forum don't work.
                                              My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                              In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post
                                                Retro forum don't work.
                                                I need more than this? Works fine for me.

Comment

• https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music/th...0s-1970s/page7

For sample these topics :
                                                  Fun Fun - Baila Bolero (1987)
                                                  Thirty Years Gone : 1987 Retro: Week 52: 30 December 1987

I was moved on main page of forum, when wanted to watch those threads.

Some other threads on that page works well like 1977 retro charts.
                                                  Last edited by LastDreamer; Mon January 18, 2021, 09:47.
                                                  My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Does this fix your issue?

Go to Profile > Edit Settings > Account:
                                                    Scroll down to "Conversation Detail Options". Select "Posts per Page": Change default to 30 posts.
                                                    Thanks for this great fix. It has completely rectified the issues I was having with non-loading pages. I've changed it to 20.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X