Upcoming changes to UKMIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming changes to UKMIX

As you'll all know, we migrated across from phpBB software to vBulletin software in January of this year, with the site going live in early February - it was a massive undertaking and given how old and unloved the site was, I was pleased with how it went! I've been discussing with the moderation team since the transition about the need to upgrade further - the transfer to our current software vBulletin version 4.2.5 was only ever intended to be a stop gap to get us to our eventual home (vBulletin Connect 5) - and I'm about ready to do that.

So, I'm officially giving you all forewarning of the changes! I've made a start on an FAQ below that will hopefully answer some of your questions, if there's anything else you want clarifying - just ask in the topic.

User FAQs

Why didn't you just make the changes as part of the upgrade in February?

Because it was significantly easier to move our database from phpBB to vBulletin 4, than it would've been to move from phpBB to vBulletin 5. As communicated at the time though, this further change was due.

Why do we need to change our software again?

vBulletin 4 is now end of life, which means no further development will occur on this by the software owners. Therefore, if any security breaches are identified, we will not be able to rely on the developers of the software to fix them. It also means that as further developments are made within PHP (the programming language that essentially makes websites work), it becomes increasingly more likely that a software powered by vBulletin 4 will no longer be compatible (the reality is that our current site will probably be okay for a couple of years with our current hosts but I'd rather make these changes why it's a choice, as opposed to it becoming a necessity). I have looked at alternative software providers such as Xenforo but I'm of the view that we should stay with vBulletin.

What does this mean for downtime?

In theory, an upgrade should take a few hours; we'll then need to spend some time working on the style so that the "new" UKMIX looks and feels like what you currently see (though I do need to stress that it won't be exactly the same as the new software is structurally very different to what we currently use). Initially, I envisaged taking the site offline for a week but the more I look into this, I'm of the belief the site probably won't be offline for more than a day. As with last time, I will keep you updated - therefore, please make sure you do follow us on Twitter and Facebook if you don't already as that's where I'll be posting updates.

Are my posts safe?

Yes, your posts are safe; a full database backup will also be taken prior to the data transfer in the event anything goes wrong. However, I would recommend that you take the opportunity to review things like: PMs, signatures, user profile fields etc as these might not transfer over successfully.

I'm a Premium Member, what does this mean for me?

This is something I'm yet to look at - I will contact all Premium Users directly once we're live on the new site.

Any few features?

Some of what we currently have should still be available on the new forum - a lot of it comes as standard (for e.g. the user tagging functionality) - but there is some new functionality as stated below. It is however important to note that we are dealing with two completely different pieces of software so it won't be exactly the same...
    • There's a vBulletin Messenger system - which operates similar to Facebook messenger, it's a chat facility for you and multiple other posters.
    • The attachments system is significantly better and much more user friendly.
    • And most importantly, that mobile friendly experience you've all been talking about should come with this - the template style is infinitely more mobile friendly and I will endeavour to make sure that we keep this as much as is possible as more than 60% of our traffic is now via mobile devices (this is probably the biggest plus about the whole move over).
    • Improved SEO to enable us to boost our search engine placements.
    • A more dynamic blocks functionality that updates in real time (so that new posts are immediately visible without the need to refresh the sidebar).

And within 6 months of launching the new site, I will also be launching our very own UKMIX smartphone app for Android and Apple devices (this is still something I need to look into - it's an add-on you can get with vB5 Connect but it will be an even more bigger boost for those of you that access UKMIX via mobile).

The date I currently have scheduled for the site to be transferred over to vB5 is January 11th 2020 - however, I would stress that if I can bring this date forward, I will. So please watch this space!

Please let me know if any questions.

Thanks [MENTION=11323]Wayne[/MENTION]. Good luck team
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Here's to hoping for a thumbs-up option!

Comment

Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
        Here's to hoping for a thumbs-up option!
        It comes as standard as part of the new software

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
          Great to know. Most of the forums I've posted on have always had that feature, will be a definite plus for UKmix.

Comment

Cannot wait!
            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Exciting - but please not earlier than 14th January with all the upcoming year-end countdowns starting soon

Because I‘m low-key traumatized by how long UKMix was down the last time

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                Exciting - but please not earlier than 14th January with all the upcoming year-end countdowns starting soon

Because I‘m low-key traumatized by how long UKMix was down the last time
                We definitely shouldn't be down for a week this time given what's involved but I guess it'll take as long as it takes - I'm hoping not to have us down for a week, that's for sure!

Comment

AN APP

I LOVE YOU [MENTION=11323]Wayne[/MENTION]

😍😍😍
                  [#1 REVEALED!] 2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

My Song Charts

Comment

Thanks for the info Waynieh! Good luck, i hope it will go well!

I am personally not too fond of a thumbs-up button, as people will take disadvantage this, and make it a contest about who can get the most likes on a post

Comment

That all sounds brilliant thank you Wayne
                      Love you like a love song!

Comment

Thanks for letting us know and good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly!

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                        I am personally not too fond of a thumbs-up button, as people will take disadvantage this, and make it a contest about who can get the most likes on a post
                        I completely agree, I'm really not a fan of the whole likes thing. It usually makes things into a popularity contest, I was on another forum a few years ago and I liked everything until they added that, I just got put off completely because the whole atmosphere changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
                          Thanks for the info Waynieh! Good luck, i hope it will go well!

Originally posted by minime View Post
                          I completely agree, I'm really not a fan of the whole likes thing. It usually makes things into a popularity contest, I was on another forum a few years ago and I liked everything until they added that, I just got put off completely because the whole atmosphere changed.
                          How would you even go about doing that. LOL

I've been on quite a few boards (both professional and recreational) and this has never been an issue. It just allows you to easily like/agree with a post without needing to quote. Plus you can generally see who liked/disliked, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Comment

An APP would be amazing

Comment

Thank you
                              I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                How about a standard “ignore” function?

Comment

Great to hear about the mobile app.
                                  Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

Great! Just the other day I was saying that an app would be great because when I’m not at work I don’t have access to a PC and I hate reading and posting from my phone’s browser! Thanks!

Comment

Yaaaassssssss so can we use emoji’s?
                                      Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                        You can already!

🔥💙😋❤️💋🤩💖
                                        [#1 REVEALED!] 2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

My Song Charts

Comment

Originally posted by banksy View Post
                                          How about a standard “ignore” function?
                                          I'm considering this - will discuss with the moderation team as it might be an effective way to reduce the number of reports that come through.

Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                          This is less about the software and more about the database compatibility.

It's something I need to look into.

Once we're ready to launch the UKMIX app in 6 months time, that might help with emoji use.

Comment

Had no idea you could put emojis, are they only visible on Apple devices? �� ��

EDIT: it didn’t work for me?

Comment

Doesn't work for me either.
                                              They show as empty squares or black diamonds with a question mark
                                              trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                              trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Yet I can see LOVE+FEAR’s emojis...

Comment

See them like this: 🔥💙😋❤️💋🤩💖
                                                  trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                                  trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

Working...
                                                  X