No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [080-076]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear what a dreadful bunch. Keyshia Cole had some good songs in the first few years of her career but then I seem to remember she went a bit wild. Jessie J is a no about 9 times out of ten. I don't mind some of Amy MacDonald's songs, but I once got into a blazing row with an Amy stan on UKMix, which was to my greatest surprise, as I didn't know she had them. The other 2......
    1 Coldplay |2 Krystal Klear|3 Yola|4 Sigrid |5 pnau

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
      Scottish folk-rock singer Amy Macdonald never seemed to have major international success outside of her home country,
      I would really disagree with that..... just look at the peak positions achieved in continentai Europe, and the massive lengths of time that it remained in the charts, of "This Is The Life", which was only a number 28 hit in the UK:

https://austriancharts.at/showitem.a...The+Life&cat=s

Top three in ten countries - including the Netherlands, where it was the most successful of all 272 tracks that charted there in 2008:

http://www.michajans.nl/2008.html
      Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2020

Comment

• CZB you are right. Amy results in UK are very poor in comparision with other European charts.

My old topic with her top 40 chartruns : http://popmusicfan.frmbb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=34
        My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
        In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Yay for Katie Melua, definitely one of my big faves.
          last.fm

Comment

• So that bunch are a… choice.

Katie Melua - so I love TCTC and The Flood, Bicycles is OK, the rest is not really on my radar.

James Blunt - trying to be objective… I guess Bonfire Heart and High are decent.

Jessie J - right, she’s actually got some GREAT songs (Domino, Thunder, Who’s Laughing Now) and some more that are alright but then there’s Price Tag which is terrible and there’s just something about her that is completely unbearable.

Keyshia Cole - I don’t really know ha.

Amy Macdonald - the fact she has stans but Mr Rock N Roll is fantastic and I also enjoy This Is The Life. She’s actually had some decent stuff in recent years too!

Who on earth is coming up then… KT Tunstall and Daniel Powter?

Comment

• Katie Melua - She has some great singles like 9MB and TCTTC but I don’t know too much from her beyond that.

James Blunt - His Twitter comebacks are 10/10. His music....not so much.

Jessie J - Such a great singer, shame she is so insufferable.

Keyshia Cole - I’m sorry but I do not know who that man is.

Amy Macdonald - I LOVED This Is The Life circa 2008 so she made my votes!

"you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemo View Post
                Keyshia Cole - I’m sorry but I do not know who that man is.

1 Coldplay |2 Krystal Klear|3 Yola|4 Sigrid |5 pnau

Comment

• Hmm, I'm sure Jessie was on my shortlist, but I guess she didn't make the cut. She had some cute hits.

I should have made room for Katie Melua, but honestly I thought she'd been around longer! She's amazing.

Comment

• I used to like Jessie J a lot. I basically stanned her first album and I thought she was such a breath of fresh air in the music industry... until she released "Domino" and my interest has disappeared since then. Still got my votes though!

Comment

• Keyshia Cole had some BIG hits back in the day! Happy to see her charting here
                      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Maybe should have voted cause many amazing ones are outside the top 100, but at least Scissor Sisters made it.
                        I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Katie Melua - omg, total fail on my part, she would've been in my top 20 had I remembered to vote for her. I love so much of her music, having discovered some exceptional songs through various games at UKMIX.

James Blunt - I should've also thrown some votes James Blunt's way, the man might have a reputation for having music that is dull as dishwater but he writes brilliantly well and some of his songs are classics IMO (I challenge anyone not to be moved by Monsters - one of the most emotional songs and videos I've ever heard/seen).

Jessie J - she has some brilliant songs but I find her to be really unlikeable so cannot properly connect with her as a musician.

Keyshia Cole - Last Night is one of my favourite throwback R&B songs ever, but beyond that I'm not really familiar with her.

Amy Macdonald - very talented but not overly familiar with her music, should probably devote some time to her catalogue at some point in the future.

Spoiler!

Comment

• I've been a closet James Blunt fan since his first album but 'Monsters' is a truly remarkable work - impossible to remain dry-eyed listening to it...

Comment

• Melua is one of my favourites, so many fantastic gems in her discography.

Comment

• Oh yeah I forgot Keyshia Cole was on Last Night, that was a banger.

Comment

• I forgot about Scissor Sisters, Jessie J and M&S! Such a shame. I especially love SS’s first album, so many great memories. I absolutely have James Blunt’s music, his voice irritates me.
                                  Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Please don't tag me for this unless i actually voted for an artist in each update.

People can look up this thread in their own free time. You should only tag the people involved.

I feel like there needs to be some rules set in place on tagging Wayne

At least leave out those of us with 10 or less acts in the 100.

Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• I used to love Jessie J a lot, but nowadays I only remember her first album, and 1 or 2 songs she released after that. Didn't know so many people dislike her. Also, I didn't even remember to vote for her.
                                      I promised myself I would listen to Keyshia's music like 15 (?) years ago, when she was big. Well...
                                      And as for Amy MacDonald, she had some songs I liked. Can't say I remember them though, other than This Is The Life.
                                      Don't know the rest.
                                      Find me here:

https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                      http://jordivanderwaal.tumblr.com
                                      https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Originally posted by CZB View Post
                                        I would really disagree with that..... just look at the peak positions achieved in continentai Europe, and the massive lengths of time that it remained in the charts, of "This Is The Life", which was only a number 28 hit in the UK:

https://austriancharts.at/showitem.a...The+Life&cat=s

Top three in ten countries - including the Netherlands, where it was the most successful of all 272 tracks that charted there in 2008:

http://www.michajans.nl/2008.html
                                        Thanks for pointing this out. I've amended the post!

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                        James Blunt - I should've also thrown some votes James Blunt's way, the man might have a reputation for having music that is dull as dishwater but he writes brilliantly well and some of his songs are classics IMO (I challenge anyone not to be moved by Monsters - one of the most emotional songs and videos I've ever heard/seen).
                                        Just checked out "Monsters" and it's beautiful!

Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                        Please don't tag me for this unless i actually voted for an artist in each update.

People can look up this thread in their own free time. You should only tag the people involved.

By virtue of having submitted a list, it's my position that each of the 54 voters are involved, but I'll happily remove you from the tag (as well as anyone else who'd like to opt out of the updates).
                                        "Your Billboard Top Ten" Game: All-Time Top Scorers Countdown: [#3 revealed!]

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• 090 Michael Bublé - 144 pts.

Jazz-pop crooner Michael Bublé rose to fame through his snazzy covers of well-known standards, though he would also see several of his original songs receive commercial success and critical acclaim. Interestingly enough, it's his Christmas album that's gone on to be his biggest seller. He's widely regarded as one of the finest male vocalists of his generation, with his immediately recognisable and rich baritone voice.
                                          Code:
                                          Fan club: jjavier1978 (#3); RayRay (#4); Andilversen (#9); Wayne
                                          Key songs: Haven't Met You Yet; Home; Everything; It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas/Jingle Bells
                                          Key albums: Christmas; Crazy Love; Call Me Irresponsible

089 Michelle Branch - 146 pts.

Michelle Branch got her start as a pop/rock act, achieving transatlantic success in the early 2000s in this vein, before forming a country music duo in the mid-2000s. The Wreckers would garner some attention from country music critics, but Michelle eventually returned to her bread and butter with 2010's 'Everything Comes and Goes' EP and 2017's 'Hopeless Romantic'. If you're a fan of late 90s/early 2000s sci-fi shows, you may have also seen Michelle as a musical guest on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Charmed.
                                          Code:
                                          Fan club: sg1996 (#10); FreakyFlyBry; abidhaq; ludichris 
                                          Key songs: All You Wanted; Everywhere; Are You Happy Now?
                                          Key albums: The Spirit Room; Hotel Paper

088 Gwen Stefani - 147 pts.

With as many as nine voters, Gwen Stefani is easily the most widely voted for act thus far in the countdown and she'll remain as such for the next several batches. After leading No Doubt to success in the mid-90s, Gwen branched off on her own to initiate a solo career that yielded several US and UK top 10s. There was a decade between her second and third LPs (she managed to stitch in a No Doubt return and release in this time), but Gwen's been better about releasing music in the last five years, perhaps due, in part, to her role as a judge of the US talent show 'The Voice'. Fun fact - there were Gwen Stefani UKMix Survivors held in both 2008 and 2018; both times, "What You Waiting For?" won.
                                          Code:
                                          Fan club: JeremySpears; crystalphoenix; cheapthrills; jordi_89; abidhaq; mattsky; Tansike; Carbon; Lemo
                                          Key songs: The Sweet Escape; Hollaback Girl; Rich Girl; Wind It Up; What You Waiting For?
                                          Key albums: Love. Angel. Music. Baby; The Sweet Escape

087 Fall Out Boy - 147 pts.

​​​​​​​

Behind some of the finest fist-pumping rock anthems of the last 20 years, Fall Out Boy have managed to stay booked and banded for most of the last 20 years. Fun fact - the band's name is actually derived from a reference from the long-running TV series 'The Simpsons', specifically Bart Simpson's favourite superhero 'Radioactive Man'.
                                          Code:
                                          Fan club: Affillate; Ivica; Benny; Ewokguy15; Spartan
                                          Key songs: This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race; Sugar, We're Goin' Down; Dance, Dance; I Don't Care
                                          Key albums: Infinity on High; From Under the Cork Tree

086 FKA twigs - 155 pts.

​​​​​​​

R&B critics-fave FKA twigs might be viewed by some as an underground name, but her passionate performances and atmospheric, moody music have inspired a small, but devoted group of fans. Fun fact - FKA twigs is classically trained in ballet and tap dance, and before launching her career as a singer-songwriter, she worked as a backup dancer for the likes of Kylie Minogue, Ed Sheeran, Taio Cruz, and Jessie J.
                                          Code:
                                          Fan club: Loose; Jonathan; Lemo; mattsky; JeremySpears; Ska8er
                                          Key songs: Two Weeks
                                          Key albums: LP1

Spoiler!
                                          "Your Billboard Top Ten" Game: All-Time Top Scorers Countdown: [#3 revealed!]

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Michelle Branch!

I've enjoyed so much of her music over the years. Personal faves include The Game of Love with Santana and the Hopeless Romantic album.

Comment

• FKA twigs is brilliant. I used to really like Gwen; her first two albums contain several iconic classics. Her last released disappointed me, though.
                                              Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• I threw some votes Michael Buble’s way - his Christmas record is ridiculously good.

Comment

• FKA twigs
                                                  What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                                    Please don't tag me for this unless i actually voted for an artist in each update.

Why is it an issue? you can just dismiss the tag in one click.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X