No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Buble - I do spin his Christmas album over the holiday season, but if I’m honest a lot of his music is too shmaltzy for me. Every mums wet dream.

Michelle Brach - I’ve no idea who this person is either need to do some research - any recommendations?

Gwen Stefani - I was obsessed with LAMB when it came out (and still am to some degree). Although her last few releases have been very meh.

Fall Out Boy - Another big band from my 2006-2009 emo phase. One of the only emo bands to evolve out of that era quite successfully.

FKA Twigs - I adore her. LP1 was in my top 10 albums of the 2010s list and her second album was pretty decent too.
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• I used to like Gwen but she became a parody of herself lately so i gave up on her.
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Why is it an issue? you can just dismiss the tag in one click.
        I always find people's indignant reaction to tags so hilarious like it's something to be annoyed about lol. As you said its one click ;)
        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Damn I forgot to vote for Bublé. He’d have been somewhere in my middle range of points.

Comment

• Gwen was great during No Doubt/LAMB and then gradually fell off.
            last.fm

Comment

• Michelle Branch, such a great artist.
              The music she released was really strong. She had so much potential.
              "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

• This, along with Everywhere, will always be classics for me!
                "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Why is it an issue? you can just dismiss the tag in one click.
                  because it made me think i had an act in the update only to be given James Blunt (who i liked only for a couple of singles) and some other boring types.

I don't know why everyone who voted has to be notified when we can look for ourselves. Why not tag the people that are mentioned in each update? Which is what Leo does with his 100. What Tansike does with Fave Posters, too.

It's a culmination of being tagged over several weeks, it's just built up and annoyed me. Sick of people tagging me for no good reason. It's not moderated at all.

You can delete junk mail but that doesn't mean you should have to.

------------------------------------------------------

FKA Twigs didn't make my list. Maybe she should have but her albums don't live up to her early EP's.

Last edited by Blondini; Sun June 13, 2021, 17:01.
                  Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• Acts so far I voted for:
                    Mumford & Sons - solid body of work so far

Acts I would have voted for but forgot to:
                    Katie Melua - sad i forgot about her! She would probably have been in the 20s-30s of my list
                    Fall Out Boy - some strong songs and albums, maybe a little hit&miss but solid enough to get some points.

Acts I like but probably wouldn't have voted as I only had limited spaces:
                    Scissors Sisters - some songs are amazing and amongst my favs of 2000s
                    James Blunt & Amy McDonald - great start and then kinda went unnoticed

I did not included solo acts coming from massive groups, such as Gwen, but of course I think she delivered great music in her first two solo albums.
                    From bubbling under I will just see which artists I voted for once the top100 is presented, hard to find as it is lol
                    CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                    FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• well, i did search and here are my votes out so far:

1. Sara Bareilles (103): I like her stuff and her personality and it's too bad I have already lost my #1!
                      22. Pharrell Williams (188): his influence this 20 years is remarkable, and his perosnal work is great. Happy was such a massive track.
                      30. Mumford & Sons (96): solid body of work
                      33. T.I. (214): some great HH here
                      40. Chance the Rapper (173): interesting sound and still in his hot streak
                      41. Khalid (195): surprised it didn't rakn higher. I really enjoy his early work, then was kinda all over the place but still making some good stuff here and there
                      42. Maren Morris (370): two amazing albums, and also Highwomen. A diamond awaiting to release her best work yet.
                      44. Of Monsters & Men (189): probably Blondini also voted for it, sad they are this low. A very cool band.
                      CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                      FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• I didn’t vote for any of those I guess I should’ve voted for Gwen, she was on my long list I think! Loved her first two albums but her more recent stuff hasn’t always been for me, although Make Me Like You was great.

Michael Buble, Michelle Branch and Fall Out Boy seem randomly high! Buble is kinda just always “there”, I don’t dislike or like as such. Branch I remember 3/4 songs, FOB had some great stuff in their earlier days, didn’t realise they were still quite active.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                          Please don't tag me for this unless i actually voted for an artist in each update.

People can look up this thread in their own free time. You should only tag the people involved.

I feel like there needs to be some rules set in place on tagging Wayne
                          Not sure if that's necessary cause there are a lot of us who prefer being notified that way, Well I do, even if I'm not necessarily interested to comment or participate. Just being informed that there are some sort of updates is nice since we don't always go around to different threads and forum sections like that and sometimes we might even forget if we have participated in some games or forget where certain threads are located.

-

OT: Okay I think I'm finally starting to warm up with the countdown. Not a fan of Michael Buble but he played a huge part in my childhood as everyone like literally EVERYONE was bumping to his songs during middle/high school. He used to be extremely popular over here for some reason. "Everything" and "Home" are straight up classics!

Looks like I didn't vote for Gwen but she's cool. I really enjoyed lots of her stuff from her L.A.M.B days with "Luxurious" still in heavy rotations nowadays.

Fall Out Boy was cool as well. Not the biggest fan but same with Michael Buble, was extremely popular among my middle & high school friends and their MVs were always on MTV on a daily basis.

Couldn't get into FKA Twigs for some reason. My taste in music is just too basic to grasp her sound & aesthetic.

Comment

• Forgot to comment on Twigs, she’s got fans on here so not surprised she’s top 100. Two Weeks is still her high point for me.

Comment

• Gwen is the first top 100 entry that was on my list (so far). Nice.
                              I don't know why I gave her 22 points though, probably because I've been listening to her first two albums a lot in the past couple of years.
                              Find me here:

https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                              http://jordivanderwaal.tumblr.com
                              https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Michelle Branch has had some good songs, in fact "The Game Of Love" with Santana is one of my favourite songs of the last 20 years. But we haven't had anything great from her for a lot of years. Like others, I enjoy hearing Buble at Christmas, but there's nothing else of his I go out of my way to hear. Gwen was probably the closest of the 5 to making my votes, her first album was excellent, she's been a bit hit and miss since then. I like a couple of FoB's songs, but I wouldn't put them anywhere near the top 100 acts. FKA Twigs, nothing of hers grabbed me, I'm not really familiar with any of her stuff.
                                1 Coldplay |2 Galantis|3 Sigrid |4 pnau |5 Agnes

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                  I used to like Gwen but she became a parody of herself lately so i gave up on her.
                                  Looks like you weren't the only one. I was surprised she wasn't higher. Maybe people had reservations about her eligibility?
                                  "Your Billboard Top Ten" Game: All-Time Top Scorers Countdown: [#3 revealed!]

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Bit late catching up, not much to say on the last bunch. I liked L.A.M.B but otherwise Gwen's never reached her true potential I think

I threw a few votes over to Keyshia Cole, loved her earlier output, "Just Like You" is a solid 00's R&B album.
                                    UKMix Best Debut Single - Countdown

Comment

• 085 Kings of Leon - 157 pts.

American rock band Kings of Leon actually had far more success in the UK than in their home country during their tenure. Their breakthrough in 2008 was massive and has buoyed their relevance stateside for the last decade. Fun facts - the band members of Kings of Leon are comprised of three brothers and a cousin, and attribute their musicality to a mixture of "boredom and stupidity", having received virtually no formal training.
                                      Code:
                                      Fan club: stevyy (#4); mattsky (#5); Metalweb; Ivica; vinnie65
                                      Key songs: Sex on Fire; Use Somebody; Radioactive
                                      Key albums: Only by the Night

084 OneRepublic - 158 pts.

Lightning doesn't usually strike twice, but with "Apologize" and "Counting Stars", for 1R, it sure did. Those two songs were among the biggest chart hits of their respective decades and kept the Ryan-Tedder-fronted band relevant for longer than the average pop-rock act's shelf life.
                                      Code:
                                      Fan club: vinnie65; FreakyFlyBry; Spartan; Tansike; Andilversen; Affillate; theMathematician; Ska8er
                                      Key songs: Counting Stars; Apologize; Stop and Stare; Love Runs Out
                                      Key albums: Dreaming Out Loud; Native

083 Arcade Fire - 161 pts.

Arcade Fire shocked most contemporary music fans when they beat out all the big commercial names for the 2011 Grammy Album of the Year gong, but maybe they shouldn't have, considering that each of the band's albums have been nominated for the Best Alternative Music Album Grammy. They're clearly a critics favourite, but they've inspired a rather loyal legion of fans, too, given their string of three successive #1 albums (which was preceded by a #2-peaking LP).
                                      Code:
                                      Fan club: Lemo (#4); Metalweb; camdwntownjohn; Blondini; Jonathan
                                      Key songs: Reflektor; Everything Now
                                      Key albums: Neon Bible; The Suburbs

082 Grimes - 162 pts.

An indie-pop darling of music fans, Grimes is perhaps best known for those dreamy synths that punctuate the experimental melodies of her songs. In an interesting juxtaposition to her alternative image and sound, she's actually married to one of the world's wealthiest men, Elon Musk.
                                      Code:
                                      Fan club: Carbon (#6); Lemo; likeigoldlink; crystalphoenix; Tansike; Jonathan
                                      Key songs: Flesh Without Blood; We Appreciate Power
                                      Key albums: Visions; Art Angels

082 Emeli Sandé - 162 pts.

A typo in a voting submission meant that I'd initially miscalculated Emeli's votes, but in an effort to rectify that, especially since otherwise would mean to deny the R&B/soul songstress a place in the top 100, here we have Emeli sharing the 82nd place with Grimes (the rules of mathematics be damned). If you're from the UK, chances are you're familiar with Emeli, if only during the 'Our Version of Events' era. That album was massive - it was the best-selling album in the UK of 2012 and the #2 UK seller in 2013. She wouldn't come close to that level of success with her subsequent albums. Fun fact - Emeli's penned songs for the likes of Leona Lewis, Susan Boyle, and Rihanna.
                                      Code:
                                      Fan club: RayRay (#9); Andilversen; spiritboy; Ivica; stevyy; Wayne
                                      Key songs: Next to Me; Heaven; Clown
                                      Key albums: Our Version of Events

081 Fergie - 164 pts.

​​​​​​​

The lead vocalist of the Black Eyed Peas, Fergie's debut solo venture made a huge splash. Her songs had a bit of an edge, what with that unmistakable and unique contralto voice that separated her from the R&B/pop pack of the mid-2000s. For as much as pop fans loved her spunk, it was the emotional and heartfelt ballad, "Big Girls Don't Cry", that's become her biggest commercial success and signature song. She'd only release a singular follow-up to 2006's 'The Dutchess', an entire 11 years afterwards, and with the music landscape shifting as much as it did in the decade-plus, her return wasn't quite as warmly received as her fans might've liked, but she's certainly carved out a place in the pop scene as an icon regardless, both for her work within the BEP and outside the group.
                                      Code:
                                      Fan club: jordi_89 (#1); Ivica (#10); mattsky; crystalphoenix; abidhaq
                                      Key songs: Big Girls Don't Cry; London Bridge; Glamorous; Fergalicious
                                      Key albums: The Dutchess

Spoiler!
                                      "Your Billboard Top Ten" Game: All-Time Top Scorers Countdown: [#3 revealed!]

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• None of these had votes from me.

Kings Of Leon I've never liked. One Republic have some great songs, mostly later in their career for me. Arcade Fire I don't really know, Grimes I haven't liked anything I've heard from either. Emeli Sande is one of the blandest artists to come out of the UK this last decade (though she has occasional interesting features like "Survive"). Fergie is either ok or big miss....Glamorous is my favourite of hers.
                                        1 Coldplay |2 Galantis|3 Sigrid |4 pnau |5 Agnes

Comment

• 082 Grimes - 162 pts.
                                          Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• I didn’t vote for any of those either, but they all have songs I like. My favourites from each:

Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
                                            OneRepublic - Counting Stars
                                            Arcade Fire - Everything Now
                                            Grimes - Violence
                                            Emeli Sandé - Heaven
                                            Fergie - Big Girls Don’t Cry (Personal)

Comment

• I totally forgot about Gwen Stefano. Hollaback Girl makes me angrier by the day but Cool is one of the best pop songs of the last 20 years. I guess it cancels each other out.

Speaking of Gwen, I forgot to vote for her clone Fergie as well! Glamorous and Clumsy are bops but Big Karens Don’t Cry is insufferable.
                                              Last edited by Goldmoney; Wed June 16, 2021, 21:46.
                                              Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Yass my queen Fergie up there. I haven't listened to her as much these past few years, but The Dutchess is still one of my favourite albums of all time. Fergalicious being my top song from her.
                                                I'm kinda regretting not giving more votes to Nelly Furtado or to Kpop girlgroups that I listen to more often, though.
                                                I remember being so annoyed by Kings Of Leon's music and success back in the day.
                                                Find me here:

https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                                http://jordivanderwaal.tumblr.com
                                                https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Kings of Leon remind me so much of my university days - Sex on Fire was a banger!

OneRepublic were on my shortlist but didn’t make the final cut - they have a handful of classic songs from this century.

Emeli was in my votes, I threw a handful of points her way - based on her one big album alone, she would’ve charted as it was a brilliant record.

Comment

• Emeli Sandé is one of the best British songwriters to emerge in the last decade. I don't know how or why she didn't appear in my top 50.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X