No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings Of Leon - Only know a couple tracks from them really, should try and look into them a bit more. Waste A Moment is great.

One Republic - Didn’t really expect them to have many fans here!

Arcade Fire - One of my favourite bands ever. I put their album The Suburbs as my #1 album of the decade. They were my #4.

Grimes - Visions and Art Angles are amazing albums! She made my list but I went off her after she hooked up with Elon Musk and named her kid AE36383837 or something

Emile Sande - Loved her first album and she was massive for a couple years. Her last two albums have been a bit safe IMO.

Fergie - The Duchess was such an iconic album and showed her as such a versatile artist. It’s a shame we never got much more of her until that follow up a decade later.
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• I've never got into Grimes - you'd think i would based on my other faves but she has nothing to hang your hat on

[22 POINTS] - Arcade Fire

Several great albums. One of the most original bands.

Comment

• Kings Of Leon - They are very hit or miss with me though i find their music a bit noisy.

OneRepublic - I like some of their songs but i never listened an entire album of them i guess.

Emeli Sandé - I like her and gave her some points. Gotta revisit her discography. Too bad she suffered from sophomore slump as well.

Fergie - She's very overrated, haven't listened to her debut album in ages, probably won't like it much these days.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Emeli's a funny one, she gets a lot of flack for being bland but she's actually got some great material - Heaven, Daddy, Next To Me, My Kind Of Love, Clown, Hurts, Breathing Underwater, Highs & Lows, Starlight, Extraordinary Being, Shine... all 8/10 and above for me. She did have a huge sophomore slump, probably in the wake of Adele's 25, and her singles success dried up very quickly but take Shine for example, not even a top 100 hit but I feel like so many people must know it as it's been featured on so many TV shows in the past two years.

Comment

• Emeli Sandé has some great songs but her career never did as well as it probably deserved to. Really enjoy OneRepublic.

I just can’t take Fergie seriously, she’s had a couple of catchy tunes though.

Comment

• Yas for Grimes.

Emeli Sande is imho too high considering she had like one big album which, to be fair, wasn’t that iconic either.

I prefer her underrated bop Starlight than anything from her debut.
              last.fm

Comment

• Finally catching up!

[50 POINTS] – Lindsey Stirling (#125)
                [45 POINTS] – Kerli (#276)
                [44 POINTS] – Tarja (Turunen) (#286)
                [43 POINTS] – Anette Olzon (#300)
                [37 POINTS] – Ashley Tisdale (#157)
                [32 POINTS] – Inna (#116)
                [31 POINTS] – Lena (Meyer-Landrut) (#124)
                [30 POINTS] – Amy MacDonald (#91)
                [27 POINTS] – Loreen (#516)
                [25 POINTS] – Halsey (#150)
                [24 POINTS] – Bebe Rexha (#250)
                [22 POINTS] – Jessie J (#93)
                [20 POINTS] – Grimes (#82)
                [17 POINTS] – Aura (Dione) (#647)
                [16 POINTS] – OneRepublic (#84)
                [09 POINTS] – LaFee (#447)
                [07 POINTS] – Zara Larsson (#137)
                [05 POINTS] – Gwen Stefani (#88)
                [04 POINTS] – Amaranthe (#809)
                [03 POINTS] – Marina Kaye (#819)
                [02 POINTS] – KeiiNO (#826)

Artists in italic I was the only voter for.

No big surprises so far, as I expected to lose some of my faves early on. Anette Olzon and Tarja will probably always be among my faves simply for their contribution to Nightwish, but their solo work has been absolutely outstanding as well. Sadly, Nightwish and Within Temptation started to release stuff already in the late 90s, otherwise they would have been very high on my list as well.

Also already lost my #1 with Lindsey Stirling, very pleased I wasn’t the only voter in her case though. Her run from 2013 to 2019 has been flawless.
                Kerli has been my absolute favorite artist for a long time, but due to her messy (or delayed / cancelled) releases, she fell a bit in my ranking. Still, she had such a huge impact on me from her breakthrough in 2008 up until now.

Extremely shocked to see no one else voted for Loreen, especially when there are other Eurovision artists with a much smaller impact doing better on the countdown. I guess Mainshow didn’t vote, and some others probably forgot about her when compiling a list.

There are tons of artists that I also enjoy a lot, already appeared on the countdown but didn’t make my own list, but I won’t mention them all, so special shoutouts go to…

#829 Agnes Obel … was so close to my list as well. I’m actually surprised I didn’t vote for her, as she has some of my all time favorite songs with Riverside and Familiar
                #395 Kim Petras … absolutely adore her album Clarity and with just that one, she’s already made quite an impact on me. Still, I only discovered her in the 1st week of 2020, so she’s simply too new to already include in my Top50 list
                #367 Owl City … his breakthrough era plus the Midsummer Station were some big events for me, I also enjoyed some other outputs such as the Ultraviolet EP (where he also collaborated with Lindsey, my #1) but unfortunately, he also had some misses in the discography and overall, he was just too inconsistent to make my list

Comment

• A few of those I considered in the most recent set. I always support OneRepublic because they started in Colorado, but I really don't know much of their music outside the big hits.

Grimes has been a discovery for me over the past few years, but still haven't caught up with her older material. I enjoyed her most recent album.

Emeli is one that I really should have put on my list, even if her most recent music hasn't done as much for me.

Kings of Leon's band members are more attractive than I remembered.

Comment

• I love Kings of Leon! Fergie released two great albums, she's very underrated.
                    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                      Emeli's a funny one, she gets a lot of flack for being bland but she's actually got some great material - Heaven, Daddy, Next To Me, My Kind Of Love, Clown, Hurts, Breathing Underwater, Highs & Lows, Starlight, Extraordinary Being, Shine... all 8/10 and above for me. She did have a huge sophomore slump, probably in the wake of Adele's 25, and her singles success dried up very quickly but take Shine for example, not even a top 100 hit but I feel like so many people must know it as it's been featured on so many TV shows in the past two years.
                      Totally agree. She was close to featuring in my list. "Hurts" is pretty damn good and might very well be my favourite song from her.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                      Kings of Leon's band members are more attractive than I remembered.
                      I thought the same thing when I found that pic.
                      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [11 weeks] + Drake invasion

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• 080 Miguel - 165 pts.

Among the most critically acclaimed R&B singer-songwriters of his generation, Miguel has been one of the acts leading the charge of keeping the ailing genre alive, and with his psychedelic and neo-soul melodies, he's done a rather fine job in helping keep contemporary R&B fresh and exciting.
                        Code:
                        Fan club: Mugen, bm08, Jonathan, Rawiri James, Ska8er, abi, Leo
                        Key songs: Adorn; Sky Walker; Sure Thing
                        Key albums: Kaleidoscope Dream; Wildheart

079 Blue - 165 pts.

While Blue might not be at the forefront of most music fans' minds in 2021, between 2001 and 2003, the band achieved three successive UK #1 albums and three UK #1 songs. Their return 10 years later, in 2013, was met with a moderate chart response, but it's those first few years that really augment their place here. They had some really interesting takes on some established hits. Their "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" cover is brilliant and comes highly recommended by none other than the great Sir Elton John himself.
                        Code:
                        Fan club: Benny (#4); RyanS; Spartan; Affillate; sg1996; Ewokguy15
                        Key songs: Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word; Too Close; If You Come Back; Guilty; One Love
                        Key albums: All Rise; One Love; Guilty

078 Years & Years - 169 pts.

The once-three-piece band, now solo project, Years & Years have been a highlight in pop music the last decade, with their shimmering production and colourful, exciting visuals.
                        Code:
                        Fan club: Wayne (#9); cheapthrills; ludichris; crystalphoenix; RayRay; Affillate; Thriller
                        Key songs: King; Shine; If You're Over Me; Play
                        Key albums: Communion; Palo Santo

077 George Ezra - 170 pts.

At two albums long, George Ezra's had a fairly young career thus far, but that gorgeous, swoon-worthy bass-baritone voice that takes on these soul-pop ballads have him in good stead to become a future icon.
                        Code:
                        Fan club: Wayne (#8); mattsky; Leo; Andilversen; spiritboy; Thombus 
                        Key songs: Shotgun; Budapest; Paradise
                        Key albums: Wanted on Voyage; Staying at Tamara's

076 Jordin Sparks - 177 pts.

When Jordin Sparks won American Idol in 2007, she became, at 17, the youngest-ever champion of the talent contest and with the big machine that crowned kings and queens of the show get for their first era, she lodged five consecutive top 20 hits in the US. Her commercial success would deteriorate swiftly and she'd spend the next decade releasing buzz singles and dealing with label woes, only to finally put out a third album that not even I truly enjoyed. Still, despite the drop-off after 2009, she's done some cool things - starred alongside Whitney Houston in that legend's swansong film 'Sparkle', given Broadway that good 'ol college try, and even got a gig singing the national anthem at the SuperBowl. As far as talent show graduates' careers go, that's not too shabby and gives her an ample supply of good to smile about.
                        Code:
                        Fan club: abi (#9); JSparksFan; RayRay; Goldmoney; Ska8er; sg1996; bm08; Affillate; ludichris 
                        Key songs: No Air; Tattoo; Battlefield; One Step at a Time
                        Key albums: Jordin Sparks; Battlefield

Spoiler!

Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [11 weeks] + Drake invasion

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Kings of Leon so low is a crime against taste. smh
                          My Chart

Comment

• Miguel’s best song is definitely Primetime with Janelle Monae, followed by Adorn. He’s had some good more recently stuff too!

I completely forgot about Blue I love some of their earlier stuff, especially Too Close. They went a bit naff by the end.

Years & Years were at #48 on my list, very good fun at Glastonbury before Kylie. King and Shine are 10/10s.

George Ezra I’m 50/50 on, I find his most popular songs, aside from Paradise, my least favourites of his - especially Shotgun. Blame It On Me is my fave.

Jordin was such a good AI winner while it was still relevant, she’s had a handful of great songs but I find her just kinda there.

Comment

• I absolutely love George Ezra.
                              Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• I love George Ezra too. It's laughable that Blue got so high tbh. Where's Shorty at?

Comment

• No one made my votes from that last batch.

Miguel - Not usually an R&B fan but I do like what I’ve heard from him. Need to check out more of his work.

Blue - Really? This high?

Years & Years - They got some bops! I love Shine and King! Olly Alexander was really good in Its A Sin Too.

George Ezra - Such a fan of his last two albums! Got to see him life in 2019 with Sigrid supporting and he was great. Shotgun was literally the sound of the summer that year.

Jordin Sparks - What ever happened to her? Battlefield was a decent track but honestly kinda forgot about her.
                                  "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• Miguel, George Ezra and Y&Y are cool but didn’t make the cut for me, ultimately I only like a handful of their songs, not whole albums.
                                    last.fm

Comment

• I do like G. Ezra a lot, I feel he should've given him more points

for some reason I can't stand the Y&Y front man's voice , some their songs are alright though

I don't think I've ever heard a song by Blue , maybe I have, but certainly couldn't tell who those people were I feel I'll have to check them out just because Benny likes them so much

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
                                        I don't think I've ever heard a song by Blue , maybe I have, but certainly couldn't tell who those people were I feel I'll have to check them out just because Benny likes them so much
                                        You should definitely check them out!

My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• Again nobody I voted for there.

Miguel, I always want to like his songs more than I have done so far, having said that, Adorn with Jessie Ware was a beast. I also really liked Shockandawe. Blue...what are they doing here? Years & Years, had some great songs like Shine, If You're Leaving Me and Meteorite. George Ezra was close to my votes. Paradise and Cassy O are my favourites of his, but there's many more I like. Jordin Sparks is a surprise top 100, I really rated her in Idol, like J-Hud though, her voice is much better than her material.
                                          1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• Okay - not actually commented on here yet.

Do I hold the record? Of my 50 votes, 41 of them missed the top 100 entirely! 29 I was alone in voting for! Of those that made the top 100, three of them missed the top 90!

1. Amy Studt (133)
                                            2. James Blunt (94)
                                            4. Darkness (134)
                                            5. Mark Joseph (265)
                                            6. Scissor Sisters (98)
                                            8. Matthew Jay (311)
                                            10. Little Man Tate (334)
                                            12. Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott (369)
                                            13. Duckworth Lewis Method (382)
                                            14. Streets (170)
                                            15. Paul Fisher (412)
                                            16. Paul Heaton (425)
                                            17. Feeling (266)
                                            19. Athlete (462)
                                            21. Kaiser Chiefs (169)
                                            22. Birdy (211)
                                            23. Alice Band (513)
                                            24. Mull Historical Society (525)
                                            25. Enemy (208)
                                            26. Reverend and the Makers (556)
                                            27. Regina Spektor (121)
                                            28. D12 (577)
                                            29. Lucy Spraggan (588)
                                            30. Pipettes (599)
                                            31. Gorillaz (160)
                                            32. Fratellis (280)
                                            33. Amsterdam (638)
                                            34. Gary Jules (653)
                                            35. Mark Morriss (661)
                                            36. Thrills (675)
                                            37. Alice Martineau (683)
                                            38. Rooster (698)
                                            39. Kaci (710)
                                            40. Hoosiers (722)
                                            41. Goldie Lookin' Chain (732)
                                            42. Amy Macdonald (91)
                                            43. Farrah (763)
                                            44. Norah Jones (171)
                                            45. Stephanie Kirkham (786)
                                            46. Attic Lights (803)
                                            47. Zutons (811)
                                            48. JJ72 (822)
                                            49. Vanessa Carlton (613)
                                            50. Jason Downs (842)

Comment

• Don't know who these are, but they're cute.
                                              Find me here:

https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                              http://jordivanderwaal.tumblr.com
                                              https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemo View Post
                                                Jordin Sparks - What ever happened to her? Battlefield was a decent track but honestly kinda forgot about her.
                                                Left RCA after Battlefield. Many of her songs went to Ariana's debut album including "The Way" which she co-wrote. Signed to an indie label to release a fully R&B album (it's called Right Here, Right Now and it's really good!). The label went bankrupt and now she's truly independent, been releasing songs here and there including a cute little EP but that's it.

Comment

• I'm surprised I put Jordin higher than you did! JSparksFan

Comment

• Jordin is one of the best Idol vocalists ever and I would have put her higher if she continued where she started with her first two albums. That's where the majority of her strongest material is found.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X