UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost 2 big acts there from my top 10!

Miguel - should’ve included him tbh, Adorn is a total classic.

Blue - they had so many forgotten pop classics from the 2000s, I think my personal favourite was Breathe Easy - always loved Lee’s vocals.

Years and Years - Communion alone was an event for me, it’s a stunning record and I’ve loved most of what they’ve put out since as well. So much love for Olly.

George Ezra - his last record was one of my favourite of the last decade, I really think he elevated himself, love his voice.

Jordin Sparks - used to like her but haven’t really heard much of her for years now.

Comment

• Miguel and Jordan Sparks are two impressive artists that deserve so much more than they have right now.

Jordan especially is a great songwriter that I feel could be flexing her wings a bit more.
      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Blue have a really good catalogue of songs, pleasantly surprised to see them this high.

Comment

• Originally posted by matthew_dixon View Post
          Okay - not actually commented on here yet.

Do I hold the record? Of my 50 votes, 41 of them missed the top 100 entirely! 29 I was alone in voting for! Of those that made the top 100, three of them missed the top 90!
          Heppolo lost 49!

I suppose i should have included JJ72 as well. But they wouldn't have been high.

I bought or liked a couple of Jordin Sparks songs.

Comment

• I voted only for 30 acts, 26 from them didn't reach top 100 (almost all didn't get any points from other forum members).
            My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
            In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Nice appearance for Years and Years; they just missed my top 10. I wonder how it will go from here now that it's just Olly, but they've definitely been a highlight for me over the past six years. King was one of my favorite songs of the past decade.

Nice to see Miguel - loved his appearance on Janelle Monae's primetime.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                Nice appearance for Years and Years; they just missed my top 10. I wonder how it will go from here now that it's just Olly, but they've definitely been a highlight for me over the past six years. King was one of my favorite songs of the past decade.
                Wow, me too! They were my #14, which is very high considering they only have two albums so far but a lot of replay-worthy songs among those. Most of my high entries have released 5 albums or more.

Comment

• Ah have lost too many to really go into detail sadly, as I would love to share some songs people may not have heard before, I'll post a song from a handful of these.

50 POINTS - Nerina Pallot
                  This lady deserves more mainstream recognition, she's been chogging away for so many years and has released so many great songs. Such a shame I was her only voter, she should have way more listeners in my opinion. It's impossible to post my definitive favourite as I have so many favourites and an eclectic set they are too, I'll post one though.

49 POINTS - Larkin Grimm
                  Freaky folk queen Larkin, my favourite song from her is 'Dominican Rum', an excerpt of the lyrics are in my sig, her approach to folk is so refreshing and her lyrics are always engaging.

48 POINTS - Amy Studt
                  Glad she nearly made top 100, my favourite song from her is 'Paper Made Man' a deliciously kooky song that really has a great groove to it. I wish she would release music more regular, love her voice. I can't believe she's only released 3 albums after all this time! Objectively probably placed her way too high but she is a personal fave so.

47 POINTS -
                  46 POINTS -
                  45 POINTS - Annie

44 POINTS - Devin Townsend Project
                  43 POINTS - Gorillaz
                  42 POINTS -
                  41 POINTS - Gemma Ray

40 POINTS - Róisín Murphy
                  39 POINTS - Everything Everything
                  38 POINTS - Owen Pallett
                  37 POINTS - Melody Gardot
                  36 POINTS - Ray Lamontague
                  35 POINTS - Azealia Banks
                  34 POINTS - KT Tunstall
                  33 POINTS - Jens Lekman
                  32 POINTS - Ceelo Green
                  31 POINTS - Patrick Wolf

30 POINTS - Perfume Genius
                  29 POINTS - Meg Myers
                  28 POINTS - Minitel Rose
                  27 POINTS - Darren Hayes
                  26 POINTS - Clare Maguire
                  25 POINTS - Bat For Lashes
                  24 POINTS -
                  23 POINTS - Jem
                  22 POINTS - José Gonzáles
                  21 POINTS - John Grant

20 POINTS - Young Fathers
                  19 POINTS -
                  18 POINTS - Neon Trees
                  17 POINTS - James Blake
                  16 POINTS - Corinne Bailey Rae
                  15 POINTS -
                  14 POINTS - Lissie
                  13 POINTS - Rumer
                  12 POINTS - The Feeling
                  11 POINTS - Gossip

10 POINTS - Arca
                  9 POINTS - Connan Mockasin
                  8 POINTS -
                  7 POINTS - Shearwater
                  6 POINTS - Courtney Barnet
                  5 POINTS - Ladyhawke
                  4 POINTS - Regina Spektor
                  3 POINTS - Alex Winston
                  2 POINTS - Simon Bookish
                  1 POINT - Jack Peñate
                  My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

• ^ I forgot Annie! Though i would have excluded her as her first single came out in 1999. Underground or not.

Comment

• also forgot Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip. They would have been near or in the top 30. A brace of great albums. Angles is on Tim's Twitter Listening Party right now.

(although the fact it's two acts joined together might have caused a headache - no matter!)
                      Last edited by Blondini; Sun June 20, 2021, 22:12.

Comment

• Acts I voted for:
                        15. George Ezra: great discography so far, and such an interesting and distinctive voice!
                        43. Miguel: solid body of work so far

Acts I forgot to vote:
                        Kings of Leon and Arcade Fire would have been in my votes but for some reason they are not even shortilsted... Arcade in particular would have been in the top20s
                        CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                        FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• So I've obviously lost a big one there in my (user)namesake, Jo-Speezy. Her first two albums are all the receipts needed to evidence her incredible talent. Her career hasn't quite gone the way I'd have liked it to, but I'm always here for her output. #Sparkplug4Life

Spoiler!

Originally posted by abi View Post
                          I'm surprised I put Jordin higher than you did! JSparksFan
                          You generally rank her higher than I do for the female artists countdown.
                          Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                          Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                          Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                          Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• 075 M.I.A. - 187 pts.

Rapper, singer, producer and activist, M.I.A. is among the most critically acclaimed hip/hop acts of her generation, with sociopolitically-charged lyricism and imagery covering a broad array of topics including, but not limited to, illiegal immigration, poverty, capitalism, and violence. Rather impressively, she manages to blend a tonne of genres and produce some really interesting melodies. Perhaps her biggest headline-grabbing moment was her 2009 Grammy performance, where her being nine months pregnant (and rumoured to be due that same night) didn't stop her from giving a spirited, bouncy rendition of her "Swagga Like Us" verse. The hook of "Bad Girls" perhaps best exemplifies M.I.A.'s energy and brand - "Live fast, die young, bad girls do it well."
                            Code:
                            Fan club: CrazyCrazy (#5); Leo; likeidogoldlink; Jonathan; Rawiri James
                            Key songs: Paper Planes; Bad Girls; XXXO
                            Key albums: Kala; Maya

074 Ellie Goulding - 188 pts.

The pixie-voiced Ellie Goulding, with 12 voters, is by a good margin the most-voted-for act thus far in the countdown. With 'only' 188 points, this gives her the lowest average point score of anyone in the top 100 (15.67 average score), which means a fair number of folks remembered to include her, but didn't like her 'that' much to put her too high, save for two gentlemen: crystalphoenix and Tansike. Her career's gone from strength to strength and she's still scoring #1 hits and albums a decade deep into her career. I doubt anyone'd dared to forecast it, but her biggest hit has actually turned out to be the soundtrack to that erotica romantic drama film that soccer moms lost their minds over in the mid-2010s.
                            Code:
                            Fan club: crystalphoenix (#7); Tansike (#10); Ewokguy15; theMathematician; cheapthrills; vinnie65; mattsky; FreakyFlyBry; Wayne; Blondini; Thriller; Leo
                            Key songs: Love Me Like You Do; Lights; Your Song; Burn; River
                            Key albums: Lights; Halcyon

073 J. Cole - 194 pts.

Widely considered one of the best songwriters in hip/hop, J. Cole has also been lauded for scoring #1, platinum-selling albums for many years without any features on his LPs. Interestingly, each of his six albums have peaked at #1 in the US. A few fun facts about Jermaine - he was actually born in Germany as his father was an American veteran stationed there, he graduated high school with a 4.2 GPA and earned a communication and business undergraduate degree graduating magnum cum laude, and one of the odd jobs he worked pre-fame was as a kangaroo mascot at a skate rink.
                            Code:
                            Fan club: Ska8er (#9); Rawiri James (#9); bm08; Mugen; Leo; likeidogoldlink
                            Key songs: Middle Child; Deja Vu; My Life; Work Out; ATM; KOD; Power Trip
                            Key albums: Born Sinner; 2014 Forest Hills Drive; 4 Your Eyez Only; KOD

072 Lorde - 199 pts.

Lorde started her career as a moody, wise-well-beyond-her-years teenager, who won Grammys for songs she penned at 16 years old in half an hour. With her 'Pure Heroine' era, she was pegged as a sort of emo-pop star that was largely anti-pop in her lyricism. She would then flip the script and sultrify the image four years later on 'Melodrama', the delectably electropop body of work that showcased a more emotional, accessible side. The critics would be onboard for this evolution; the GP would be very...not onboard. Still, even while her commercial success wanes, she still commands the attention and respect of many a music fan, so should have the lengthy career her talent so richly deserves.
                            Code:
                            Fan club: Lemo (#7); JSparksFan; mattsky; Leo; Jonathan; spiritboy; Mugen; Metalweb
                            Key songs: Royals; Team; Green Light
                            Key albums: Pure Heroine; Melodrama

071 Troye Sivan - 206 pts.

One of the more interesting rankings in this countdown, Troye Sivan's career underwent a similar journey as Lorde's. He started rather lovelorn and innocent, then upped the ante, sex appeal, and electropop synths for his subsequent release, much to the delight of pure pop fans everywhere. He's become one of the preeminent queer musicians of his era and it'll be interesting to see how his music and image further evolves.
                            Code:
                            Fan club: Affillate; Leo; cheapthrills; crystalphoenix; mattsky; spiritboy; ludichris; RayRay
                            Key songs: Youth; Happy Little Pill; Wild; My My My!
                            Key albums: Blue Neighbourhood; Bloom

Spoiler!
                            Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                            Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                            Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                            Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• Who voted for Troye Silvan ?
                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                              Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Why did I forget MIA?!
                                Find me here:

https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                http://jordivanderwaal.tumblr.com
                                https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                  Who voted for Troye Silvan ?
                                  Quite a few people by the looks

Comment

• Didn't realize I'm one of the biggest Ellie Goulding fans here It's kind of fitting, since I owe UKMIX for introducing me to her (she didn't gain any traction in the States until 2 years after Lights dropped in the UK). Her single selections have been pretty spotty in recent years, but I adore her first three albums (not to mention several soundtrack songs and collaborations/guest appearances too).
                                    last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by crystalphoenix View Post
                                      Didn't realize I'm one of the biggest Ellie Goulding fans here It's kind of fitting, since I owe UKMIX for introducing me to her (she didn't gain any traction in the States until 2 years after Lights dropped in the UK). Her single selections have been pretty spotty in recent years, but I adore her first three albums (not to mention several soundtrack songs and collaborations/guest appearances too).
                                      We both are her biggest fans on here, I had no idea

She's truly amazing and even though I enjoyed Delirium and Brightest Blue a lot, I'm not sure if she can ever come close to the epicness that was the Halcyon era.

Also enjoy Lorde & Troye Sivan from the latest group.

Comment

I did! A lot of it was based purely on the fantastic Bloom album that contained bops galore, in case you didn't know.

Comment

• I love Troye and Lorde. Ellie has some great tracks, too. I really like her last album and Lights is a classic.
                                          Haven't been early since '88

Comment

It tells you underneath dear.

didn’t vote for any of those again myself. M.i.a had some good songs and I had a couple of her albums. The rest are a
                                            bit meh to me.
                                            1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

• J.Cole is one of the best MCs going right now. Happy he made the cut
                                              See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                                J.Cole is one of the best MCs going right now. Happy he made the cut
                                                Yep, 2014 FHD is one of my most revisited albums of the past decade.
                                                Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• M.I.A - Love her, she brought a real fresh identify to the UK music scene in the 00s. Still regularly play Paper Planes and Bad Girls

Ellie Goulding - She has some decent hits behind her but there is something about her voice that just grates on me.

Lorde - My #7. Loved her debut and Melodrama was one of the best albums of the decade IMO. I thought she’d be higher but she doesn’t seem to have that strong a following here. Some fans online think she’s the second coming or something

J Cole - I’ve heard so many good things about him but haven’t really given him a try. Will need to check him out.

Troye Sivan - Meh.
                                                  "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• M.I.A, J. Cole

It's nice that someone voted for them too. These are some of the best (female) rappers of the 2010s. Original, extraordinary, standing out from the crowd.

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

Working...
                                                    X