No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't hum anything by J. Cole, definitely someone who has passed me by.

Aside from the obvious stuff, I really love M.I.A's earlier stuff like Galang and Bucky Done Gun.

I did vote for Ellie Goulding despite the dislike she has on here, only two points but I loved her debut album and even since she's had some great songs amongst some rubbish.

Troye Sivan seems high but he has some cool tracks. Lorde's second album was my favourite era for her, Green Light is so good.

Comment

• Ellie is very hit or miss with me, in general i like her music though.

I liked Lorde's debut and i loved Melodrama. Looking forward to Solar Power, so far i'm enjoying the title track.

Troye is great and deserves more success cause he's making great Pop music.
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Ellie made my list, but she sure would have been higher a few years ago; I've been mostly disappointed by her stuff the last few years.

J. Cole is a great choice, and I didn't realize he had such an academic background. His last album was fire.

My favorite of the group is Troye. Have been a fan for a long time, but I really loved the Bloom album. especially that title track, when he became the circuit boy we all knew he could be. Even his stuff in the last EP had some winners.

Comment

• My My My by Troye is a total tune, love it.

Ellie has a loads of good songs and deserves her place in the Hot 100 - she’s an underrated artist.

I know and like odds and sods by Lorde and MIA but couldn’t name a single song by J Cole.

Comment

• damn! I totally forgot to vote for EllieG and I DO like her stuff a lot! I have all of her studio albums

Comment

• None of those are particular favourites of mine but have some good songs.

Comment

• 070 Joss Stone - 206 pts.

British singer, songwriter, and actress, Joss Stone rose to fame in the mid-2000s with Aretha-Franklin-inspired soul R&B. She's a BRIT and Grammy award winning artist, and appeared on several talent shows, including 'Star for a Night' and 'Steps to the Stars', before her big breakthrough in late 2003. Fun facts - Joss Stone has dyslexia, is a lifelong vegetarian, and owns several rescue dogs.
                Code:
                Fan club: SholasBoy (#4); Loose (#6);  Leo (#9); Thombus; Wayne; Metalweb
                Key songs: You Had Me; Fell in Love with a Boy; Super Duper Love; Don't Cha Wanna Ride
                Key albums: The Soul Sessions; Mind Body & Soul; Introducing Joss Stone

069 Paolo Nutini - 208 pts.

The incredibly emotive and passionate vocalist, and the runner-up of the most recently concluded Artists League, hosted by Leo, Paolo Nutini is a soul- and folk-pop musician, who's released sparingly (three albums between 2006 and 2014), but has clearly impacted both the charts and the forum's members with each of his few releases. Though it's not among his most successful singles, if you ask Wayne for Paolo's top song, he'll likely tell you it's "Iron Sky".
                Code:
                Fan club: Wayne (#1); Carbon (#10); stevyy; Metalweb; Thombus; Leo
                Key songs: Last Request; Pencil Full of Lead; Candy; Jenny Don't Be Hasty; Scream (Funk My Life Up)
                Key albums: These Streets; Sunny Side Up; Caustic Love

068 Drake - 208 pts.

Billboard's artist of the decade for the 2010s, taking the mantle from another hip/hop giant (Eminem), Drake has been a phenomenal force on the charts. He's won more Billboard Music Awards than anyone in music history and his streak of huge chart hits is sickening. He can literally put out trash and it'll top the charts - a theory he's tested several times in recent years. Despite this, Drake is talented, intelligent, and occasionally critically acclaimed.
                Code:
                Fan club: bm08 (#1); Mugen (#6); Ska8er; Rawiri James; JSparksFan; abi; stevyy; Leo
                Key songs: One Dance; In My Feelings; God's Plan; Hotline Bling; Nice for What; Best I Ever Had; Hold On, We're Going Home; Toosie Slide; Find Your Love; Laugh Now Cry Later; What's Next; Nonstop
                Key albums: Thank Me Later; Take Care; Nothing Was the Same; Views; Scorpion

067 Kacey Musgraves - 210 pts.

Most people were unaware of Kacey Musgraves's existence on the planet and within the country music space before her 2014 Grammy performance of "Follow Your Arrow". Her progressive lyricism was warmly received by most people with healthy opinions on things. Since then, she seems to have somewhat impacted the pop scene, with country-pop hybrid bops like "High Horse" featuring on pop radio.
                Code:
                Fan club: mattsky (#7); cheapthrills; Mugen; theMathematician; crystalphoenix; JSparksFan; Jonathan
                Key songs: Follow Your Arrow; Merry Go 'Round; Rainbow
                Key albums: Same Trailer Different Park; Pageant Material; Golden Hour

066 Kesha - 213 pts.

Queen of the party trash pop look and sound of the early 2010s, Kesha had an impressive string of hits in the US. We'd later learn that not everything was as rosy as they'd initially appeared and Kesha would channel that emotion into some truly heartwarming pieces of music on her 'Rainbow' LP.
                Code:
                Fan club: crystalphoenix; Ewokguy15; Tansike; JeremySpears; mattsky; Goldmoney; Carbon; spiritboy; abidhaq; Lemo; Affillate 
                Key songs: Tik Tok; We R Who We R; Blah Blah Blah; Your Love Is My Drug; Die Young; Take It Off; Blow; Praying
                Key albums: Animal; Warrior; Rainbow

Spoiler!

Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [11 weeks] + Drake invasion

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Ket˘hup has some bops but I never thought about voting for ha that highly.

Drake’s Find Your Love is one of the better R&B songs of the ‘10s but his material has gotten pretty embarrassing in the last few years.
                  Last edited by Goldmoney; Thu June 24, 2021, 00:16.
                  Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Iron Sky by Paolo is still one of my lifetime songs. I hope he is returning to making new music soon.
                    My Chart

Comment

• [03 POINTS] - Ellie Goulding

Kacey wouldn't be far from my 50

Comment

• Oh! I missed Bat For Lashes below 100 with 100 points. Which is quite good.

[47 POINTS] - Bat For Lashes

So that means i lost 41 below the 100 not 40.

Comment

• Adore Joss, what a talent and a genuinely lovely person. She was my no.4 as you said. I was obsessed with her in the "Mind, Body & Soul" era, but I continued to follow her since, particularly love songs like "Right to be Wrong", "Stalemate" and "Karma".

Paolo is a talented guy, I loved "Last Request" the first time I heard it, and he's had a strong if not all that regular back catalogue. Kacey is a great artist with some fun songs and great lyrics. Ke$ha I can usually take or leave, but her song "Learn to let Go" I really liked.
                          1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• I've never listened to Paolo Nutini, i'll check his discography soon.
                            I used to listen to Joss Stone debut album but lost interest after a while.
                            I hate Drake's music with a passion.
                            Kesha has some bops. I hate her personality but i like some of her music.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• That's a great showing for Kacey - I think I ranked her pretty high, definitely a huge favorite over the last couple of years. If only thankfulforkelly were around and voting.

Drake's career is really frustrating. Liked a lot of his stuff until Scorpion, and he's been a huge miss for me since then, but it seems that album made him more popular than ever.

Comment

• Nice to see Paolo Nutini this high
                                Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Drake’s failure to make it to the upper tier of this countdown is a tragedy. It probably delegitimizes this entire thing.

He is one of the best, if not the best, artists to debut in recent times.

Unfortunate ranking.
                                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Joss Stone is one of my favorites
                                    What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

• Kesha was the closest out of those to appearing in my list. She may have made the list if she didn't have to take that long hiatus and kept the catchy hits coming, which was her forté for a while.

Comment

• I absolutely love Kacey and I also really like Kesha.

TBH, I don't understand the phenomenon of Drake. IMO his music is basic and mediocre. I don't care about Joss Stone and I have never heard of Paolo Nutini.
                                        Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Love Paolo, such a great voice. From the others I do enjoy Kacey's Golden Hour album (gorgeous music), but that one album wasn't enough for me to put her on the list since the rest of her catalogue is too country for my taste. I like Kesha but don't really care for her latest efforts and even the old stuff kinda grew off me and I rarely play it.

MIA is cool, but I don't know her stuff that well, Ellie has a few good songs but overall find her annoying, Lorde is cool and I enjoyed her first album, but didn't make the cut because I didn't like the follow-up and she'd been inactive for a while when I was making the list.
                                          last.fm

Comment

• Joss Stone - She has a great voice and a couple great songs but never really ranked her as one of my favourite artists. Has she came out with anything recently?

Paolo Nutitni - Iron Sky must be one of my favourite tracks ever. Where is this man??

Drake - Drake deserves a place on this list, his impact on the charts the last 10 years has been phenomenal. I like a lot of his tracks like Hotline Bling, Gods Plan and Nice For What but would agree he has sooooo much mediocre material.

Kasey Musgraves - I’m not a country guy so never really got into her. I didn’t get the High Hopes acclaim either.

Kesha - Started her career with some trash but I adored Rainbow! She made my votes this time.
                                            "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• I'm glad Drake is not in the top 50. He's the most overrated artist ever.
                                              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                I'm glad Drake is not in the top 50. He's the most overrated artist ever.
                                                Yeah I’m quite glad he’s not that high too, some of his music is terrible. His best stuff is his earlier stuff, Find Your Love and Hold On mostly. He had melody then.

Joss is still so talented as we saw on Masked Singer. Love some of her songs a lot.

I only got into Kacey when she released High Horse… unfortunately most of her other stuff is a bit dull.

Paolo is a cool artist, Candy and Coming Up Easy are my faves.

I liked Kesha’s earliest trashy pop stuff.

Comment

• So I've lost a few in those last two sets:

Lorde - her first era was singles-centred for me, but that second era. Whew. Melodrama was my top album of 2017 and among my top 10 LPs of the 2010s.
                                                  Drake - the first half of the 2010s had his best work, the second half had his most successful releases. He's done some great feature verses.
                                                  Kacey Musgraves - incredibly talented songwriter. I think her last album might've been my favourite from her.

Spoiler!

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                                  Ke$ha I can usually take or leave, but her song "Learn to let Go" I really liked.
                                                  Thanks for highlighting that one. I've had it on repeat the last few days.

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                                  Drake’s failure to make it to the upper tier of this countdown is a tragedy. It probably delegitimizes this entire thing.

He is one of the best, if not the best, artists to debut in recent times.

Unfortunate ranking.
                                                  Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                  I'm glad Drake is not in the top 50. He's the most overrated artist ever.
                                                  It's the polarisation for me.

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                                    That's a great showing for Kacey - I think I ranked her pretty high, definitely a huge favorite over the last couple of years. If only thankfulforkelly were around and voting.
                                                    Another 49 points would've gotten Kacey into the top 50.

By virtue of ranking her eleventh, you were actually Kacey's second-biggest fan. Only mattsky ranked her higher.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X