No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot Carrie Underwood, too. She would have been in my top 30.

I am useless!

Comment

• Two big ones for me in that set:

Carrie Underwood - my #5 and my top Idol alum. She's had such a stellar career thus far. Barring the last two studio albums (Christmas and gospel), her actual country albums have all been consistently good to great. I think she has one of the best voices of all-time, such pitch perfect clarity and quality. Country music doesn't get better than her, imo.

Adam Lambert - insanely talented and while the music doesn't always reflect that, he's still one of the few males in pop music whose new work I look forward to hearing. His last album was pretty good!

Spoiler!
      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
      Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
      Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
      Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• 055 Billie Eilish - 248 pts.

Born into an entertainment family (both her parents are actors/musicians and her brother is a record producer and actor whose filmography credentials include roles and appearances on Glee and Modern Family), Billie Eilish was well-groomed for music industry success, though I doubt even her family could've expected the commercial success and critical acclaim right off the bat. She's the youngest person and only the second person in history to win the four main Grammy categories in the same year (Best New Artist and Song/Record/Album of the Year). In one fell swoop, she replaced Lorde as the face of emo pop and her recent soundtrack and forerunner singles for her sophomore album suggest that she'll remain as such for some time to come. Billie Eilish is the second-highest-ranked act on the countdown with only one released studio album.
        Code:
        Fan club: InFamous (#2); theMathematician (#10); RyanS (#10); Lemo; spiritboy; cheapthrills; JeremySpears; bm08
        Key songs: Bad Guy; Therefore I Am; Everything I Wanted; My Future; No Time to Die; Your Power; Bury a Friend
        Key albums: When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

054 Demi Lovato - 249 pts.

Known for having the biggest voice among their cohort of Disney graduates, singer-songwriter and actress Demi Lovato has also candidly shared their struggles with bulimia, self-harm, substance abuse, and bipolar disorder. Their transparency as a public figure coping with these challenges has added even more meaning to their throaty ballads.
        Code:
        Fan club: Ewokguy15 (#3); FreakyFlyBry (#8); Tansike; RayRay; JSparksFan; Ivica; bm08; crystalphoenix; vinnie65; Carbon
        Key songs: Heart Attack; Skyscraper; Sorry Not Sorry; Cool for the Summer; This Is Me
        Key albums: Unbroken; Demi; Don't Forget; Here We Go Again

053 Rita Ora - 251 pts.

With 13 UK solo top 10 hits, more than any British female soloist, Rita Ora had a prolific 2010s decade, despite those bothersome six years between her two LPs. Rita also has some impressive TV credentials. She took over as host from Tyra Banks for America's Next Top Model, was a coach on the Voice UK, judged the X-Factor, and even guest-judged on the forum's favourite reality TV series, RuPaul's Drag Race.
        Code:
        Fan club: Ivica (#8); RayRay; abidhaq; sg1996; spiritboy; ludichris; vinnie65; JSparksFan; Affillate; Tansike
        Key songs: I Will Never Let You Down; How We Do (Party); R.I.P.; Anywhere; Let You Love Me
        Key albums: Ora; Phoenix

052 Harry Styles - 251 pts.

The highest-ranking 1D member, Harry Styles had the obligatory successful first solo era, but went one better than expected and topped that success with his sophomore 'Fine Line' effort. His solo career is still young, but the young man, whose pop/rock sound has drawn comparisons to the late great David Bowie, may have more tenure than we typically see from ex-boyband members.
        Code:
        Fan club: Wayne (#6); menime123 (#6); spiritboy (#9); SholasBoy; JeremySpears; FreakyFlyBry; mattsky
        Key songs: Watermelon Sugar; Sign of the Times; Adore You; Lights Up
        Key albums: Fine Line; Harry Styles

051 Sam Smith - 256 pts.

When Sam Smith released 2014's 'In the Lonely Hour', many people saw the ballad-heavy release as another Adele-esque British export and the success they achieved was remarkable. 'The Thrill of It All' saw more of the same from Sam, but since then, they've mixed it up and been engaged in a lot more disco- and dance-pop, club-ready bops.
        Code:
        Fan club: RayRay (#3); spiritboy; sg1996; bm08; abidhaq; stevyy; Tansike; Ivica; mattsky
        Key songs: Stay with Me; I'm Not the Only One; Dancing with a Stranger; Too Good at Goodbyes; Promises; Money on My Mind; Lay Me Down; How Do You Sleep?
        Key albums: In the Lonely Hour; The Thrill of It All

Spoiler!

Comment

• Wait, did I really vote Billie Eilish as my No. 10? I can't remember, but I'm a bit surprised here .
          Pro: freedom of speech
          Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Harry & Sam. OMG. I love them. Their music is bliss. <3

Billie Eilish lost me along the way. I liked her debut album... but the songs she's released since... aren't my cup of tea. Demi's current, new album is pretty good, I'm going to say as much. <3
            My Chart

Comment

• I like some songs from Billie, Demi and Rita here and there
              last.fm

Comment

• All of the last batch are too high in my opinion.
                Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• I liked the previous batch much more tbh.

Glad other people joined me on the Billie train tho. It's amazing that she accomplished so much in such a short time.

Comment

• I still find it wild that Billie has 7 Grammys and 5 of them are General Field.

Comment

• Billie is InFamous‘ second most popular artist from the last 20 years? Had no idea

Comment

• Billie Eilish - She made my votes, one of the best artists to come out of the last couple of years IMO. We’ll look back in a couple years and see her as the ‘Gen Z’ moment.

Poot - Why u no like fro-yo girl.

Rita Ora - She’s had a couple of good tracks but I just feel like her career has been a bit of a mess.

Harry Styles - Fine Line was a big improvement on his debut but I feel his music hasn’t quite got the edge his dress sense does.

Sam Smith - Great voice but I wish he wasn’t such a mope.

Feel like I’m being a real moody Judy in this countdown. Sorry guys
                        "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                          Billie is InFamous‘ second most popular artist from the last 20 years? Had no idea
                          I made my list under extreme duress and I forgot to include lil nas x. I didn't realise we were going to be named publicly lol​​​​​
                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Billie Eilish - I liked her debut and her recent songs. Find her a bit overrated though.

Demi Lovato - I used to like her but her personality irritates me so much.

Rita Ora - Love her second album, Anywhere is one of the best Pop songs of the decade.

Harry Styles - He's already an icon in my opinion. Wonderful second era in every sense of word.

Sam Smith - Love Goes is my fave album of them. I hope they have more uptempo songs on their upcoming album.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• You need to slow down before you finish before my countdown

There's some awful personalities in this section.

Four of these five are not really my bag. Billie had a great hit with "Bad Guy" and I liked her James Bond song, but mostly I find her style over substance. Demi I don't really like at all. I liked "Tell Me You Love Me", that's pretty much it. Sam and Rita are insufferable, they have had decent songs though, both mostly in the early parts of their careers. Favourite songs are "Latch" and "I Will Never Let You Down" and "Radioactive".

Harry is a different kettle of fish completely, he comes across as very genuine and likeable, I always see him as a great role model for young men, there is absolutely no toxic masculinity here and what's more, musically he is a breath of fresh air. "Sign of the Times" is one of the greatest songs of all time. His second album was all killer no filler.

He was my no.12.
                              1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

• 55 meh. She knows how to sing, but I can't get into this "style" of singing pretending you lost your voice two days ago.
                                54 miss imma say something pretending it's a hot take and apologize 2 days later (no matter the subject, she's done this dozens of times). Everytime I hear her name I just roll my eyes by habit. At the same time I feel bad for her and her mental health struggles. Her song with Timbaland and Missy Elliott was FIRE, and her other song with Dev (I think) was solid. That's all I'm gonna say.
                                53 Highlight of her career for me: that video she made for Funny Or Die with HyunA called "girl you better walk". Can't remember any of her songs, only that one she did with Iggy Azalea Banks. But she seems nice.
                                52 -
                                51 cute. I've heard he has talent.
                                Find me here:

https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
                                http://jordivanderwaal.tumblr.com
                                https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

• Demi has started to annoy me over the past 3-4 months so I probably would have put her much lower if it were Today, at the time she hadn't started to annoy me

Comment

• This batch is quite lackluster bar Sam Smith
                                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Harry is awesome. I can't stand Demi Lovato, they are the most irritating pop performer of their generation. I like Billie's new tracks. I'm also a fan of Sam Smith's and Rita Ora's singles (but they are quote irritating, too).

I have just noticed Carrie and Adam - both are remarkable talents. Carrie is one of my favorite country musicians of all time.
                                      Last edited by mattsky; Thu July 1, 2021, 08:42.
                                      Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                        All of the last batch are too high in my opinion.
                                        Agreed. Not bad acts necessarily just not deserved of being so high.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post

Agreed. Not bad acts necessarily just not deserved of being so high.
                                          Doubly agreed, I didn't vote for any of them because none of them have consistently good music. They all have their moments but on the whole, zzzzzz.

Comment

• Oops... I see several people mentioning Demi here forget to use "they", but still use "she"...
                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                              Oops... I see several people mentioning Demi here forget to use "they", but still use "she"...
                                              including the quoted write-up, though that was probably written before the NB announcement

i'm surprised Eilish is that high. I didn't think she was that popular on here

I've like singles by most of that bunch but albums not so much though Harry's 1st was v good.

Can't stand Smithers

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                                All of the last batch are too high in my opinion.
                                                this!

Comment

• Lost two in that set:

Demi - they're a bit of a hit or miss as an albums act, but so many of their singles have been fire. They've put out some of the best bops and ballads of the last 10 years.
                                                  Rita - Wish she'd put out music more frequently. Her last album was pretty good.

Spoiler!

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                    Wait, did I really vote Billie Eilish as my No. 10? I can't remember, but I'm a bit surprised here .
                                                    Yep, you did! I think yours is the only list with Steve Grand on it.

Originally posted by Lemo View Post
                                                    Feel like I’m being a real moody Judy in this countdown. Sorry guys
                                                    As Madge advised, "Express yourself, don't repress yourself."

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                                    You need to slow down before you finish before my countdown
                                                    I almost posted a second update last night when I saw this.

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                                    Oops... I see several people mentioning Demi here forget to use "they", but still use "she"...
                                                    Ah, me included! Will amend the bio piece.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X