UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 050 Justin Bieber - 258 pts.

For as much grief as Justin Bieber is oftentimes given, it's clear that his music has struck a chord, both with the members of this forum ranking him in the upper half of this Hot 100 and with the general public. It all started around the height of YouTube, when the video-sharing site was big enough to launch careers, and the then-prepubescent teenager was discovered by Scooter Braun and signed to Usher's label. His success was immediate and for his first several eras he would work with the image of swoon-worthy good guy. Then came the 'Purpose' era, fully equipped with sexy Calvin Klein ads and a more pure pop sound than any of its predecessors. It was with this era that Bieber mania reached its peak and he seemed the heir apparent to that pop prince throne Justin Timberlake had occupied a decade prior. Bieber cranked out chart-topper after chart-topper and was inescapable. He would then take a break from music and would return five years later to a much more tepid response, but he's still managed to score two US #1 albums in 13 months so while the interest is dwindling, it's not yet dead.
    Code:
    Fan club: InFamous (#5); Affillate (#6); spiritboy; sg1996; bm08; abidhaq; abi; Tansike; JSparksFan; crystalphoenix; Wayne
    Key songs: Sorry; Love Yourself; What Do You Mean?; Boyfriend; I Don't Care; Yummy; 10,000 Hours; Peaches; Beauty and a Beat; As Long as You Love Me; Baby; Intentions; Where Are  Now; Never Say Never; Stuck with U; Holy
    Key albums: Purpose; My World 2.0; Believe

049 Little Mix - 265 pts.

Arguably one of the best pop vocal girl groups in music history, Little Mix won X-Factor based on the combined talent of the four ladies and got busy building the most successful girl group career of the 2010s. Their themes of unity and female empowerment weren't at all new to the soundscape, but the consistency of their releases and the reliable quality of the same felt Girls-Aloud-esque. Little Mix, now a three-piece band following the departure of Jesy Nelson, even broke ground for girl groups becoming the first girl group to win the BRIT award for Best British Group in the 43-year history of the awards. 'Glory Days' also spent more weeks at #1 in the UK than any girl group since the Spice Girls.
    Code:
    Fan club: Ewokguy15 (#2); Ska8er; Ivica; Thriller; ludichris; spiritboy; Thombus; RayRay; Affillate; JSparksFan; crystalphoenix; Spartan
    Key songs: Wings; Black Magic; Shout Out to My Ex; Sweet Melody; Cannonball; Woman Like Me; DNA; Move; Touch
    Key albums: Glory Days; Get Weird; DNA: Salute

048 The Killers - 265 pts.

The most successful music act to emerge from Nevada, you'd actually think the Killers had British origins considering their success there as opposed to their home country. They have some pretty special UK all-time chart records - they're the only international act to have a streak of six UK #1 albums, from their debut to their most recent release; "Mr. Brightside" is the longest-charting single on the UK singles chart of all-time (260 weeks) and the most-streamed track released prior to 2010 in the UK; and 'Hot Fuss' charted in the year-end UK albums chart each year from 2004-2009 and ranks among the top 20 longest-charting albums on the UK albums chart. As far as the rock genre goes, the Killers have certainly provided a smorgasbord of variety the last two decades, which is probably what inspires the loyalty from their fans.

Code:
    Fan club: Metalweb (#1); stevyy (#3); Spartan (#4); Benny (#6); camdwntownjohn; Thriller; Ivica; FreakyFlyBry
    Key songs: Somebody Told Me; Mr. Brightside; When You Were Young; Human
    Key albums: Hot Fuss; Sam's Town; Day & Age
    047 Kelly Rowland - 268 pts.

Subsequent to her Destiny's Child departure, Kelly Rowland's career got off to a roaring start, with a featured transatlantic #1 in "Dilemma" and a solo UK #2 smash in "Stole". She'd experience commercial success headwinds for the rest of her tenure, but Kelly R. seamlessly moved between sultry and groovy R&B jams and floor-stomping dance anthems, showcasing her incredible versatility and talent. A special shout-out has to be given for that "Motivation" video she blessed us with.
    Code:
    Fan club: abi (#10); Ivica; Goldmoney; bm08; Wayne; sg1996; ludichris; Ska8er; Rawiri James; Thriller; Thombus; mattsky
    Key songs: Stole; Motivation; Like This; Can't Nobody; Work; Down for Whatever
    Key albums: Simply Deep; Here I Am

046 One Direction - 271 pts.

While the late 90s/early 00s era of boyband hysteria would not be matched in the 2010s, One Direction achieved fame and success reminiscent of their Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC predecessors. Their 'Midnight Memories' tour was the highest-grossing tour in 2014, the highest-grossing tour by a vocal group in history, and the 15th highest-grossing concert tour of all time. While their music was oftentimes reduced to disposable teeny-bopper trash by some critics and older music listeners, they captured many a pop fan's attention with 'Take Me Home', an incredibly-produced and consistent album that legitimised them in the eyes (and ears) of many. Once Zayn left the group, the ticking clock reached a crescendo and the boys disbanded not too long thereafter to focus on their respective solo careers, but what an incredible run they had!
    Code:
    Fan club: Affillate (#3); Benny (#5); JSparksFan; stevyy; FreakyFlyBry; Spartan; Wayne; sg1996; Ewokguy15; crystalphoenix
    Key songs: What Makes You Beautiful; Best Song Ever; Drag Me Down; Story of My Life; One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks); Live While We're Young; Little Things; Perfect; Steal My Girl; Gotta Be You
    Key albums: Up All Night; Take Me Home; Midnight Memories; Four; Made in the A.M.

Spoiler!
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
    Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
    Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
    Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• Little Mix are my top girl group of the past 20 years behind the Sugababes, who weren't eligible. It would be awesome if they could stick around for another 5 years and become one of the longest running girl groups in a long time.

Kelly Rowland is one of the few female artists who can equally tackle Dance and R&B with ease. She has some stunning Dance collaborations in her discography.

Comment

• Justin may be polarising, but he’s had an incredible debut and is making solid efforts in the last few years.

Kelly is amazing! I wish she would get her footing as she deserves more.
        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Didn't vote any of these. Though four of them have had number ones on my chart. The other being One Direction, I never liked any of their music as a group.

Bieber is hit or miss, when he goes pop he's very good, when he tries to do hip hop it can be a bit off. My favourites of his "What Do You Mean" "Sorry" "Monster".

Rowland has no identity at all, she can't decide what lane she's in, however she's had some great hits over the years. "Commander" "Work" "Motivation".

The Killers. They are one of the most consistent rock groups, I enjoy Brandon's voice a lot. Some of their recent stuff like "Shot At The Night" and "Caution" have been really good, but earlier on, songs like "Somebody Told Me", "Human", "All These Things I've Done" are all great. I find "Mr Brightside" ruined by overplay and the laddish shouting that comes with that song.

Little Mix seems lower than I might have expected. They are hit or miss for me. Certainly they've had some great songs though, "Black Magic", "How Ya Doin?" and "Reggaeton Lento" all made no.1 on my personal chart.
          1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

• Much better than the last bunch of songs. Bieber has had some great songs, same with Kelly - I prefer a lot of her stuff to Bey's. I thought Little Mix would be higher than this, and higher than Girls Aloud but oh well.

The Killers are fantastic and have managed to evolve their sound throughout the decades to maintain relevance.

Comment

• Bieber delivered the goods with Justice, one of the best pop albums of 2021.

Little Mix is very hit or miss with me though i enjoy their latest album.
              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I wonder if Dilemma was kind of a poisoned chalice for Kelly as its a feature and probably cemented her back-up status even further. She's by far my favorite of the last set though and she really deserved more success. Her versatility is just beyond.

Still didn't vote for her though

Or any of that last group. Beginning to wonder if Akini printed out my votes and threw them in a fire.

Comment

• The Killer(s) have got rather samey and over-rated in the past decade so that's why i didn't include them, despite starting out with a couple of really great albums.

Little Mix just haven't scored as well with albums for me and that's why they didn't make my list.

Comment

• I've missed the last 4 updates but as my votes show, I've always got time for some Jazmine Sullivan and John Legend. And matter of fact, where is the duet? They'd be fire together!
                    Addict. Advocate. Author. Artist.
                    My journey of R&B, addiction and superheroes....
                    www.rawirijames.com
                    #LostBoy album and novel OUT NOW!

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                      I wonder if Dilemma was kind of a poisoned chalice for Kelly as its a feature and probably cemented her back-up status even further. She's by far my favorite of the last set though and she really deserved more success. Her versatility is just beyond.
                      Interesting point!

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                      Still didn't vote for her though
                      *Insert scream here*

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                      Or any of that last group. Beginning to wonder if Akini printed out my votes and threw them in a fire.
                      When I saw how high you ranked Sam Hunt, how could I not?

Comment

• Bieber - no doubt about his chart presence and success across the last ten years, he has some good stuff but some rubbish too. I think Sorry, Friends and Anyone are his best.

Little Mix - adored them on XF, loved the first era and Move but then they started to go off the boil a little and I hated SOTME. Sweet Melody amongst their very best so they still have great songs in their arsenal, they are INSANELY talented vocalists and great popstars. My #26.

The Killers - consistent throughout the last 15 years, in each era there is always at least one great song. Saw them at Glastonbury in 2019, brilliant crowd to be part of. Mr Brightside is up there with the absolute classics, my faves also include Human, When You Were Young and The Man. #18 on my list.

Kelly Rowland - love her dance stuff so much, she was on fire with Commander and the Work remix. Her voice was made for the clubs. Super-talented, underrated solo career, always seems lovely. #37 on my list.

One Direction - no. Worst catalogue of any boyband.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                          I thought Little Mix would be higher than this, and higher than Girls Aloud but oh well.
                          Thankfully not. GA have A LOT more consistency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Thankfully not. GA have A LOT more consistency.
                            Truth.

Comment

• Wait wait wait how is the legendary Hilary - not a single ex-act would have a career if I hadn’t paved the way for them - Duff only #62? That can’t be right.

Let me remind you all that she released this:

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Kelly Rowland is talented but lazy. I used to love her but her career's been very disappointing. I did give her points, though. I fo like Little Mix but I forgot about them. The Killers have some great songs, too. I used to like Bieber's tracks back in the day, but I can't stand him now.
                                Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• 045 Ne-Yo - 277 pts.

Singer, songwriter, dancer, actor, and... Badger(?), Ne-Yo had rocky career beginnings, being dropped by Columbia Records before he could release his already-recorded debut album. He would lean into his songwriting side, penning songs for the likes of Marques Houston, Christina Milian, Mary J. Blige, and Faith Evans, among others. His breakthrough songwriting moment came with Mario's "Let Me Love You", which got him an informal meeting with L.A. Reid and the rest, as they say, is history. He and Stargate would work to write and produce even more notable R&B/pop megahits for even bigger-named stars, and Ne-Yo would take his signature sound and carve out for himself a rather respectable solo career. Fun fact - the stage name Ne-Yo was coined by Big D Evans, a producer with whom Ne-Yo once worked, because Evans claimed that Ne-Yo sees music like the character Neo sees the Matrix.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: SholasBoy (#6); abidhaq (#8); abi; sg1996; Goldmoney; Affillate; Ivica; Ska8er; Rawiri James; Thombus
                                  Key songs: So Sick; Because of You; Closer; Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself); Sexy Love; Miss Independent
                                  Key albums: In My Own Words; Because of You; Year of the Gentleman

044 Leona Lewis - 279 pts.

Big debut eras for singing competition champions are the norm, but Leona Louise Lewis (come through alliterative name) broke world records with her early releases. "A Moment Like This" was downloaded 50,000 times in half an hour, 'Spirit' became the best-selling debut album by a female artist in the UK in the 21st century, "Bleeding Love" was the top-selling song in the UK in 2007 before it took over the US and the rest of the world in 2008 which pushed Leona Lewis ahead of the US's own Idol champ from the previous year (one named Jordin Sparks). It was a real lightning in a bottle moment, that 'Spirit' era, and the commercial bottom would fall out from under her feet, so to speak, as tends to be the case with such acts. Still, she was able to score UK top 5 hits as recently as 2013 and even ventured into Broadway and acting. Fun fact - Leona's father is of Afro-Guyanese descent, so she's one of several top names in entertainment with a West Indian background.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: artur (#5); ludichris (#8); RayRay (#10); Wayne; sg1996; Metalweb; crystalphoenix; abidhaq; Lemo; Spartan; Ivica; Ska8er; FreakyFlyBry; Ewokguy15
                                  Key songs: Bleeding Love; Run; Better in Time; Happy; A Moment Like This; One More Sleep; Forgive Me; Collide
                                  Key albums: Spirit; Echo

043 Will Young - 281 pts.

The winner of the inaugural Pop Idol series, making him the first champion of the global juggernaut Idol franchise, Will Young has strung together a rather consistent two-decade-long career, well beyond the shelf life of the average Idol champ. His double-sided debut single "Anything Is Possible/Evergreen" became the best-selling single in the UK of the 2000s and just as recently as 2019, he scored his seventh straight top 2 UK album with the well-produced 'Lexicon'.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: Wayne (#2); Thriller (#8); CrazyCrazy (#9); RayRay; RyanS; stevyy; ludichris; Ewokguy15; JSparksFan
                                  Key songs: Anything Is Possible/Evergreen; Light My Fire; The Long and Winding Road; Leave Right Now
                                  Key albums: Friday's Child; Keep On; From Now On

042 Imagine Dragons - 284 pts.

Pop/rock band Imagine Dragons certainly helped bring rock back into the mainstream realm in the 2010s, as evidenced by the fact that their singles "Believer", "Thunder", and "Radioactive" ranked as the top three rock songs of the 2010s. "Radioactive" even ended up spending more weeks in the Hot 100 than any other song. The band is also known for their electrifying, passionate award show performances and collaborating with the likes of hip/hop giant to add even more exciting dimensions to the affair.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: stevyy (#2); RyanS (#8); Andilversen; Affillate; Tansike; spiritboy; mattsky; FreakyFlyBry; Leo; Spartan; vinnie65; JSparksFan; Ivica
                                  Key songs: Radioactive; Demons; It's Time; Believer; Thunder
                                  Key albums: Night Visions; Smoke + Mirrors; Evolve

041 Keane - 286 pts.

The keyboard-loving Keane took some time to form and prepare their official first release, but when they finally got it out, it was a massive seller, going nine-times platinum in the UK. They would release rather regularly through 2012 before taking a seven-year hiatus until 2019's 'Cause and Effect'.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: Andilversen (#1); Ewokguy15 (#6); radcl (#8); Metalweb; matthew_dixon; Benny; sg1996; CrazyCrazy; abidhaq; Thriller; Leo
                                  Key songs: Somewhere Only We Know; Everybody's Changing; Is It Any Wonder?
                                  Key albums: Hopes and Fears; Under the Iron Sea

Spoiler!

Comment

• Imagine Dragons should be #1. How dare y'all make them not make it. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame.Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame.Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame.
                                    My Chart

Comment

• They weren’t even #1 on your own list, sis.
                                      Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                        They weren’t even #1 on your own list, sis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                          They weren’t even #1 on your own list, sis.
                                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Comment

• The spamming.
                                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                              Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• so what,,,, they were my #2. Marco Mengoni was my #1... he didn't even chart, I think.

Imagine Dragons have just released the best song of 2021, Wrecked.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• Come to think of it, The Killers (my #3) also floped. The taste of UKMIX is truly tragic at this point and I feel bullied. Probably some dull pop chick is going to be #1... and that's also a shame. shame. shame.
                                                  My Chart

Comment

• my #1 gone!

oh and I should've placed ID a bit higher

Comment

Working...
                                                    X