No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could listen to Leona and Will sing all day. I'd say the finest female and male contestants to ever appear on UK singing competitions and they both set the bar for subsequent years which arguably haven't been surpassed.

Comment

• I do like Imagine Dragons. The rest is meh.
      Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Nice to see Will Young this high, he has really improved since he started to collaborate with Richard X
        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Imagine Dragons release those 5/10 type of MOR songs that keep getting played on German radio all the time.

Comment

• Not a fan of this batch!
            last.fm

Comment

• Neyo is great, but really needs to come harder.

Leona feels like a one hit wonder, but she's good.
              See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Imagine Dragons are really good. Keane, Leona and Will have all had some good hits.

Comment

• I love Imagine Dragons, happy that they were placed in top 50.

Will Young is hit or miss with me, still happy to see him this high.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Ne-Yo. My number 6. Absolutely love his voice, my favourite male voice in music today, sounds great on R&B, on dance, pop, whatever you give him. So radio friendly. Hits from him every era, my favourites... "Closer" "Another Love Song" "Let Me Love You" "Money Can't Buy"... great features too "Time Of Our Lives" "Lets Go" "Play Hard" "Give Me Everything".

The other four I'm not fussed on. Leona did a great job with "Run" and i liked her version of "Hurt" too.

Will Young is mostly quite boring, I always get the impression he thinks he's a lot more interesting and arty than he is, but I'm yet to hear anything remarkable from him. Imagine Dragons, I liked "Top Of The World" but barely know anything else from them. Keane are surprisingly very high, but they've had some great songs, "Somewhere Only We Know" "We might As Well Be Strangers" "Is It Any Wonder?"
                    1 Ofenbach |2 Harry Styles |3 Tom Aspaul |4 Harry Styles |5 Harry Styles

Comment

• I forget how omnipresent Ne-Yo was across his 9 years of hits - it’s crazy now to think he’s not been on a even a top 75 single since 2015. Closer, Because Of You and Beautiful Monster are my favourites. Great to hear him again on the Masked Singer this year.

Leona didn’t make my votes but was close. I stanned her so hard when she was on XF and in her early career but as per with Syco artists she ultimately had a short shelf life and languished. She will always be remembered as the act who broke the mould internationally for British talent show winners.

Yes Will was my #8, the fact he is still making music and having hit albums 20 years after winning Idol is testament to his talent and appeal. Jealousy is a career-defining song and even Leave Right Now still sounds good. Shame he’s had his mental health issues but he’s still capable of greatness.

Imagine Dragons always have decent songs on each album. Weirdly their new song Wrecked has literally just come on shuffle. Favourites would be Believer, It’s Time and Natural.

Keane slipped into my votes at #45 - their debut album was anthemic! SAWK is a classic. Loved Spiralling too and they’ve even had some great recent stuff such as Sovereign Light Cafe.

Comment

• Leona made 1 great album but failed to live up to it since.

Comment

• It would seem that I slightly overstated the number of acts I voted for appearing in the top 100 overall - I overlooked that Zaz appeared much lower in the ranking with 39 points, one point of that total coming from me! So I'm now pretty sure that there are seventeen of my favourites in the top 100 - but so far just four have appeared, all of them in the bottom ten:

[50 POINTS] - Avicii (of 132) [100]
                          [48 POINTS] - Katie Melua (of 138) [95]
                          [22 POINTS] - Amy MacDonald (of 143) [91]
                          [03 POINTS] - Scissor Sisters (of 136) [98]

.....and nothing at all in the last fifty positions revealed since then! So there are still a surprising thirteen acts that I voted for on the way in the top forty - some of them must be arriving soon.

Late edit - actually, it looks as if just twelve are left - I also didn't spot that I was the only voter for Kate Ryan, at number 261 with my 46 points.....
                          Last edited by CZB; Mon July 5, 2021, 15:48.
                          Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2021

Comment

• I lost a few more in those last two batches:

Justin Bieber - I thoroughly enjoyed his Believe era. I think that was him at his best. The Purpose era had several iconic bops, too, though.
                            Little Mix - incredibly talented. I think their most recent era was actually their finest.
                            One Direction - my fave boyband ever. Lots of awesome pop jams from them during their time together. I'm happy that the band ended up higher than any of the solo guys.
                            Will Young - he made my list based largely on his last era, which - unpopular opinion - I think was his best.
                            Imagine Dragons - great singles catalogue, don't always love their albums.

Spoiler!

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            Or any of that last group. Beginning to wonder if Akini printed out my votes and threw them in a fire.
                            This will no longer be the case with the next set.

Originally posted by CZB View Post
                            Late edit - actually, it looks as if just twelve are left - I also didn't spot that I was the only voter for Kate Ryan, at number 261 with my 46 points.....
                            Yep, by my count, it's 12 left for you. One will be in this upcoming set.
                            Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time [2022 Edition: #85]
                            Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God) [3 weeks]
                            AlbumClash 2.0: [Florence + the Machine vs. Drake]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                              When I saw how high you ranked Sam Hunt, how could I not?
                              OMG, I missed this

Sam Hunt is fire; I don't care what trebor says.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                OMG, I missed this

Sam Hunt is fire; I don't care what trebor says.
                                Physically, yes. Musically...

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

• 040 Chris Brown - 290 pts.

Singer, songwriter, dancer, and 'rapper' (), Chris Brown actually taught himself to sing and dance. Interestingly enough, he got his start in his church choir, then branched off to performing at local talent shows in Virginia. His mother recognised his talent and the two began shopping him around, eventually signing with Jive Records due to their roster of high-profile young stars at the time. His first era would be a runaway success, moreso in his domestic US than internationally, but 'Exclusive' helped to globalise his stardom and he seemed well on track to becoming the premiere male R&B/pop star of his generation. He then assaulted his at-the-time girlfriend Rihanna and the trajectory of his career pivoted, though he would eventually be welcomed back, however begrudgingly, into mainstream radio. He's now known as much for his incessant releases (at least 13 million songs annually) and his tumultuous personal life and legal woes, but, regardless of his obvious shortcomings in various departments, he will go down as one of the industry's finest dancers and one of the big R&B acts of his era. He's still only 32, so there's likely a lot more music still in the pipeline for him, whether we like it or not.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: abi (#2); Rawiri James; bm08; sg1996; JSparksFan; abidhaq; Ewokguy15; SholasBoy; Thombus
                                  Key songs: Run It!; Forever; With You; Don't Wake Me Up; Loyal; Turn Up the Music; No Guidance; Go Crazy
                                  Key albums: Chris Brown; Exclusive; F.A.M.E.

039 Mika - 297 pts.

BBC's top 'Sound of Music' pick in 2007, Mika delivered on the music critics' prognostication with his big 'Life in Cartoon Motion' era. It was the uplifting melodies paired with the sombre lyricism and soaring choir-backed vocals that did it for fans then and he's remained well in that stead for the last decade and a half. A polyglot, Mika speaks English, Spanish, French, and Italian fluently. He also practises transcendental meditation, which he claims works for him, and which I might give a shot one of these days, too.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: RyanS (#4); matthew_dixon (#9); JSparksFan; RayRay; Wayne; Spartan; theMathematician; Andilversen; Leo
                                  Key songs: Grace Kelly; We Are Golden; Love Today; Happy Ending; Big Girl (You Are Beautiful); Relax, Take It Easy
                                  Key albums: Life in Cartoon Motion; The Boy Who Knew Too Much

038 Ava Max - 300 pts.

The newest act in the Hot 100, as well as the only one with but a singular album to her credit, Ava Max has been heralded as the second coming of Lady Gaga. While that comparison is an easy one to make, Ava's done a fine job helping to bring pure pop back to mainstream radio and her messages of female empowerment, inclusion, self-acceptance and -love make her material easily digestible. With her career still largely in its infancy, there's a lot that could go wrong, but equally as much that could go right, so fingers crossed for an even bigger sophomore success from the young star.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: Mickael2013 (#3); RayRay (#8); CZB (#8); sg1996; crystalphoenix; Affillate; abidhaq; Ivica; Tansike; ludichris; cheapthrills
                                  Key songs: Sweet but Psycho; Kings & Queens; So Am I
                                  Key albums: Heaven & Hell

037 Delta Goodrem - 302 pts.

Pete and Benny's #1, which makes the Aussie pop princess the first act to have multiple #1 voters, Delta Goodrem's localised success is astounding. 'Innocent Eyes' was the top-selling album in Australia for the 2000s and is the #2 best-seller for the new millennium. Each of her seven albums have peaked at either #1 or #2 at home and she put together an impressive streak of six successive solo chart-toppers (and nine overall #1 songs). The gorgeous singer-songwriter, who could just as easily pass for a Victoria's Secret model, has had her fair share of struggles in her personal life, including a cancer diagnosis (Hodgkin's lymphoma) and a salivary gland complication that forced her to relearn to speak and sing. She soldiered through these known, as well as likely unknown challenges, and poured her heart in her piano ballads.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: Spartan (#1); Benny (#1); Affillate (#2); sg1996 (#9); Wayne; abidhaq; vinnie65; RayRay; JSparksFan
                                  Key songs: Born to Try; Lost Without You; Innocent Eyes; In This Life; Wings; Out of the Blue; Not Me, Not I; Predictable
                                  Key albums: Innocent Eyes; Mistaken Identity; Delta

036 Maroon 5 - 309 pts.

American pop/rock band Maroon 5 have held firmly together a two-decade-long career that gradually transitioned moreso to the pop space and scene than their pop/rock origins, much to the chagrin of many of their early fans. Considering all but their month-old studio album have been certified platinum or better in the US, neither the band members nor their record label lost any sleep over it.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: spiritboy (#3); FreakyFlyBry (#7); Spartan (#9); stevyy; cheapthrills; sg1996; abidhaq; Affillate; Thombus
                                  Key songs: Moves Like Jagger; Payphone; Sugar; One More Night; Girls Like You; Makes Me Wonder; She Will Be Loved; This Love; Maps; Memories; Don't Wanna Know
                                  Key albums: Songs About Jane; It Won't Be Soon Before Long; Overexposed; Hands All Over

Spoiler!

Comment

• I didn't vote for Delta Goodrem, but I looove her 'Lost Without You'. It's a 10/10 and still getting played on German radio. 'Born To Try' is a 9/10 as well. Her later releases don't do much for me, unfortunately.

Comment

• I don't get the Ava Max love, she's too generic and formulated for my liking. The potential is there but it just comes off too try hard and stale.

Maroon 5 I voted moreso for their earlier work than the recent stuff.

Comment

• I'm amazed Mika is even remembered by so many people.

He ought to be as "low" as James Blunt. Or Scissor Sisters, to have a more fair (and better) musical comparison.

Comment

• YAY for Maroon 5 making top 40, i didn't expect them to since so many people seem to hate them

I like Ava Max, she has released bop after bop. One of the best pop girls of today.
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Maroon 5 are awesome. With their new album... they would have made many more points from me... shame!

I love Delta. She is my "newcomer" of 2021. Her new album is immaculate.
                                            My Chart

Comment

• What another strange bunch...what's gonna be number one? Alesha Dixon?

Chris Brown made my list at no.34. When he's on it, he's excellent, "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" "Turn Up The Music" "Fine China" "Paradise" some of my favourites.

Mika, not always my cup of tea but when he came back with "Tiny Love" a couple of years ago, I couldn't get enough of that song. I did like some of his earlier stuff like "We Are Golden" and "Love Today" too.

Ava Max is a shocker, I mean she's had some good pop songs, but this high? No. Delta Goodrem another surprise. Never rated her when she started out, I liked her song "Solid Gold" but that's pretty much it.

Maroon 5 always surprise me when they keep having massive worldwide hits, but they get more and more generic the longer they go on.
                                              1 Ofenbach |2 Harry Styles |3 Tom Aspaul |4 Harry Styles |5 Harry Styles

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                This will no longer be the case with the next set.
                                                Good thing Maroon 5 was there, because if only Ava Max who I only gave 2 points to was shown, I would swear you were trolling me The last few years have been meh with M5 for me, but their output has been mostly solid, and I still love their debut.

As for the other three, Chris Brown is problematic for me but I did vote someone else in who is problematic and so I guess I am a hypocrite.

Mika is a great choice. I only have heard of Delta because of UKMix.

Comment

• I forgot to vote for The Killers!!!! They would have been top5 in my votes....
                                                  Also forgot about Kacey and Billie, but they would be in the 40-50 probably.
                                                  CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                                                  FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• There have been quite a few people I clearly forgot about.

My #1 is still to be named too which is nice though I'm expecting them to be quite high.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X