No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelly Furtado and Ciara in the top 20.

Watch Tinashe win this
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Eh, I do like Goodies.
      I guess those all are some of you all's faves so I won't say too much here.

Comment

• Nelly Furtado is my #1

Such a versatile and exciting discography. I just wish she would continue putting out stuff.
        What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

• Let's go Ci! "Like A Boy" is still in heavy rotation for me.

Comment

• Love Ciara - she always delivers at least one standout bop irrespective of the era she's in, but mostly her basic boppery is what keeps her on rotation for me.

Nelly Furtado was a last minute addition, as I'd thought she wasn't eligible but with the exception of "The Ride" I've adored all her efforts. I do wish she'd return to music and drop something more "Spirit Indestructible" again.

Comment

• Great pop musicians. I'm glad Nelly Furtado, Girls Aloud, and Ciara made our top 20. I was sure Miley would be a bit higher. Avril has some good songs but I haven't really listened to her last few albums.

Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Miley is the best of the batch. Hope new album is better than Plastic Hearts.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Wow! What a pleasant surprise to see Ciara make the top 20 here!

She is a super talent that really needs the right team behind her. Happy she is doing her independent thing.
                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Ciara, easily my number one. She's the nearest thing we've had the last 20 years to those great female R&B artists that preceded her like Janet, Brandy, Mya, Aaliyah etc...Every era she comes strong with absolute bangers while her softer side is equally impressive. My favourites ..."Work" "Sweat" "Thats How Im Feeiln" "Gimme Dat" "Freak Me" "Turntables"... her "Fantasy Ride" album is one of my favourites of the last 20 years,

Nelly Furtado was not far outside my top 10 at no.11. I met her at MTV during her first era and she was such a sweet heart. Her music is unapologetically true to her, especially on her first 2 albums "Whoa Nelly" and "Folklore" (a masterpiece).Yes she went very mainstream on Loose, but it was still authentic to her.

Miley has had some good songs, for me her best was her earliest work and most recent. I went off her in the Bangerz era and don't even start on Dead Pets. But "See Me Again" and "Party In The USA" were great, then from "Malibu" onwards I've started to enjoy her again.

I liked Girls Aloud when they first came out, but they became one trick pony's for me, and by the time "The Promise" came, I was really off them. Avril was great to start with but her material got progressively worse since her death.
                    1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

• Nelly Furtado released her debut album in 2000 though?

I would have given her 35+ points if I knew but it wouldn't have changed her position!

Comment

• Originally posted by ludichris View Post
                        Nelly Furtado released her debut album in 2000 though?

I would have given her 35+ points if I knew but it wouldn't have changed her position!
                        Ahh yes she did, though it was 2001 in the UK so didn't even occur to me that she'd be exempt.

Comment

• JSparksFan btw did Cassie appear anywhere? I nearly voted her because I was obsessed for a couple of years, but didn't think anyone else would bother.

Comment

• Nelly Furtado had one fantastic album - Loose, one great one - Whoah, Nelly! - but then largely dropped off the radar. I guess she's another that ought to have been in my list somewhere. The UK releases of her first album and single were in 2001.
                            Avril had a great debut album but could never follow it. Miley only really satisfies in short bursts and never as an albums act.

Girls Aloud is a great position for them here.

My vote
                            [24 POINTS] - Girls Aloud
                            Last edited by Blondini; Tue July 13, 2021, 18:35.

Comment

• Miley deserved Top 10. Plastic Hearts was a revelation.

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                Avril was great to start with but her material got progressively worse since her death.

Comment

• Ciara - Honestly cant say I’ve heard anything from her in about 12 years. Shocked she got so high!

Girls Aloud - They did have some bops in their time - Sound Of The Underground/ Biology/ Call The Shots/ The Promise are bangers. Nerrrdeeeyunn Coyle is an ICON.

Avril Lavigne - I was obsessed with Avril 2002-2007 and for that reason placed her quite high in my votes. Unfortunately her last few albums have been rather lacklustre. Seems like her influence is being felt in the Gen Z market at the minute (Olivia Rodrigo/ Willow)

Nelly Furtado - I adored Loose, I thought it was one of the best pop albums of the 00s.

Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts blew me away, I loved it! I feel like her career has been a bit inconsistent though
                                  "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                    Nelly Furtado and Ciara in the top 20.

Watch Tinashe win this
                                    I was also kinda surprised to see them so high, but I love it, especially for CiCi, whose chart woes made her a punching bag in my early years on the forum.

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                    Eh, I do like Goodies.
                                    I guess those all are some of you all's faves so I won't say too much here.
                                    Two of your big guns are in this upcoming batch.

Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                    Ciara, easily my number one. She's the nearest thing we've had the last 20 years to those great female R&B artists that preceded her like Janet, Brandy, Mya, Aaliyah etc...Every era she comes strong with absolute bangers while her softer side is equally impressive. My favourites ..."Work" "Sweat" "Thats How Im Feeiln" "Gimme Dat" "Freak Me" "Turntables"... her "Fantasy Ride" album is one of my favourites of the last 20 years.
                                    I need to check out that Fantasy Ride album. CiCi has such a pretty voice on ballads, though. That's one of many departments where I feel she's underrated.

Avril was great to start with but her material got progressively worse since her death.
                                    I hear the acoustics in hell aren't too hot.

JSparksFan btw did Cassie appear anywhere? I nearly voted her because I was obsessed for a couple of years, but didn't think anyone else would bother.
                                    You were right on the bolded bit. No one voted for her.
                                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                                    Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                                    Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                                    Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• Girls Aloud in their rightful place this high, pleasant surprise there.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                        Two of your big guns are in this upcoming batch.
                                        Perched. One is Sam Hunt, right?

Comment

• Did Katy make this ?
                                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• 015 Lana Del Rey - 606 pts.

When Lana Del Rey made her major-label debut in 2012, she filled a niche area in pop - cinematic melodrama - and has been the leader in that space since then. While she's been more of an albums act than anything else, her hypnotic delivery of "Summertime Sadness" paired with DJ Cedric Gervais's Eurodance sensibilities made that remix the biggest commercial hit of her career, though more classic Lana Del Rey songs like "Born to Die" and "Video Games" would also achieve commercial success, moreso outside the US than within. Lana's got two BRIT awards, two EMAs, and six Grammy nominations to her name, though many a pop fan did cry foul when the pristine 'NFR' lost its Grammy album of the year nomination. As a testament to the intensity of the forum's fanaticism for Lana, of the 15 members that voted for her, 80% of them ranked them among their top 10 artists of the last 20 years, giving her the fifth-highest average score among the Hot 100 and the highest among the top 20 artist.
                                            Code:
                                            Fan club: mattsky (#1); jjavier1978 (#1); Carbon (#1); Lemo (#2); radcl (#3); Andilversen (#3); Leo (#4); theMathematician (#7); Tansike (#9); Loose (#9); CZB (#9); JSparksFan (#10); spiritboy; stevyy; Affillate
                                            Key songs: Summertime Sadness; Born to Die; Video Games; Young and Beautiful
                                            Key albums: Born to Die; Ultraviolence; Lust for Life; Honeymoon; Norman F**king Rockwell!

014 Amy Winehouse - 650 pts.

With a scratchy contralto voice that effortlessly and honestly transmitted the core and heart of soul-pop music, Amy Winehouse rose to prominence with 2003's 'Frank', a debut album that showcased Winehouse's mastery of an eclectic fusion of jazz, R&B, and soul. Going three times platinum in the UK, it was a solid debut, but nothing could've prepared the world for its follow-up, the flawlessly crafted 'Back to Black'. The rawness of the album's lyrics juxtaposed with the precision of the production made it a hugely successful release, the highest-selling album in the world in 2007, in fact. She was the darling of the 2008 Grammy awards ceremony and at the peak of her powers. The world was in her hands, thirst unquenched for a follow-up. Then, sadly, on July 23, 2011, Winehouse succumbed to alcohol poisoning at the tender age of 27. As briefly as her star shone, its blazing light illuminated the path for the likes of Duffy and Adele to achieve similar levels of success and her final release, 'Back to Black', is widely regarded by many publications, including Rolling Stone no less, as one of the greatest albums in music history.
                                            Code:
                                            Fan club: radcl (#1); SholasBoy (#3); cheapthrills (#4); jjavier1978 (#5); Thriller (#6); Goldmoney (#7); likeidogoldlink (#8); Lemo; Thombus; mattsky; theMathematician; Metalweb; Leo; Rawiri James; CrazyCrazy; Wayne; JSparksFan; Jonathan; bm08; Ewokguy15; heppolo
                                            Key songs: Rehab; Back to Black; You Know I'm No Good; Tears Dry on Their Own
                                            Key albums: Back to Black; Frank

013 Dua Lipa - 683 pts.

At 25, Dua Lipa is the youngest artist in the top 20. Also, with her debut album released in 2017, she's also had the shortest career of the acts in this upper realm of the countdown. The work ethic she's displayed in the last four years, however, has been impressive. In a music landscape dominated by trap and hip/hop, Dua's been one of the staunchest flag-wavers for the seemingly dying genre of pure pop and the succcess of her most recent album 'Future Nostalgia' has made it such that nary a chart worldwide has been without a pop hit within the last 18 months. Her career is in a great place and there seems to be every indication, both from Dua's personal interest and her label's fervent support, that she'll be here for some time to come. With 27 voters, comfortably the most thus far, there's quite a few fans just on this forum alone keen to follow Dua's next move.
                                            Code:
                                            Fan club: spiritboy (#4); theMathematician (#9); likeidogoldlink (#9); Affillate (#10); crystalphoenix; Thombus; Ivica; cheapthrills; Thriller; ludichris; JeremySpears; Andilversen; FreakyFlyBry; Ska8er; CZB; bm08; RayRay; JSparksFan; Lemo; mattsky; Leo; Carbon; vinnie65; sg1996; Wayne; stevyy; Tansike
                                            Key songs: New Rules; Don't Start Now; One Kiss; Levitating; Break My Heart; IDGAF; Physical; Electricity; Be the One
                                            Key albums: Dua Lipa; Future Nostalgia

012 Justin Timberlake - 726 pts.

While the pop princess crown has had several worthy contenders tussle for it before settling ever so firmly and deservedly on Britney Spears's head, Justin Timberlake has been the perennial pop prince since *NSYNC disbanded and he forged onwards with an impressive solo career. JT had three hugely successful eras, with one big hit after the next. Peak Timberlake would probably be the Timberlake of the 'FutureSex/LoveSounds era, a Timbaland-produced period that solidified his place in the pop scene as one of the big names of the genre. Rather randomly, he would have a resurgence in popularity in 2016 with "Can't Stop the Feeling!", which by some metrics, is the biggest hit of his career. In recent years, public opinion of Timberlake seems to have soured as he's been taken to task for the role he played in the media assault of female legends Janet Jackson and Britney Spears.
                                            Code:
                                            Fan club: menime123 (#5); artur (#7); abi (#7); Noahh (#8); JeremySpears (#9); InFamous (#10); Spartan; Goldmoney; Ewokguy15; stevyy; likeidogoldlink; Thombus; Affillate; spiritboy; Wayne; Ska8er; SholasBoy; sg1996; theMathematician; Leo; Thriller; abidhaq; Jonathan
                                            Key songs: SexyBack; Can't Stop the Feeling!; My Love; Cry Me a River; Mirrors; Suit & Tie; What Goes Around...Comes Around; Rock Your Body; Like I Love You; Say Something
                                            Key albums: FutureSex/LoveSounds; Justified; The 20/20 Experience

011 Alicia Keys - 732 pts.

The queen of piano-led soul/R&B balladry, Alicia Keys has built an incredible career within the R&B space, even being named by Billboard the top R&B act of the 2000s. In addition, she's won 15 Grammy awards, 17 NAACP Image awards, and 12 ASCAP awards. Though she served as the featured act, Alicia's refrain on "Empire State of Mind", New York's unofficial tourist ad since 2009, is among the most classic and recognisable choruses in the US of the last 25 years. With 2009's 'The Element of Freedom', Alicia Keys stepped away from the more classic soul music and settled into a more mid-tempo, contemporary R&B niche area, where she would more or less remain for the next decade.
                                            Code:
                                            Fan club: sg1996 (#2); Leo (#2); abidhaq (#3); radcl (#4); Goldmoney (#4); likeidogoldlink (#7); spiritboy (#8); cheapthrills (#9); SholasBoy (#10); abi; Andilversen; Thombus; Rawiri James; bm08; Lemo; Wayne; ludichris; JSparksFan; Ska8er; FreakyFlyBry; RayRay
                                            Key songs: No One; Fallin'; My Boo; If I Ain't Got You; A Woman's Worth; Girl on Fire; You Don't Know My Name; Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart
                                            Key albums: Songs in A Minor; The Diary of Alicia Keys; As I Am; The Element of Freedom; Girl on Fire

Spoiler!

Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                                            Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                                            Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                                            Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• Well Amy Winehouse completes my top 3 at no.3 (after Ciara 1 and Jazmine 2). Her "Frank" album is still probably my favourite of alltime, it's the nearest thing I ever heard to a perfect album. It was so unique, so story telling, so different to everything else out at the time and I was obsessed. I was gutted later to hear her snub the album as not the one she wanted to make, because as much as I enjoyed "Back To Black" and was pleased for her success, it just didn't quite hit me the same as her debut did. I would have loved to have heard where she went next though. Favourites include "Take The Box", "Know You Know" and "I Heard Love Is Blind".

Justin Timberlake was my no.24. The "Justified" debut was excellent, heavy in production by Timbaland and Neptunes but although they were producing everyone at the time, it was like they kept their best tracks for JT. His follow up was good too, since then he's been hit or miss for me, but I think he will still have impressive material ahead. Favourites, "Cry Me A River" "Take It From Here" "Losing my Way" "Cant Stop The Feeling".

Alicia Keys, my no.10. I remember not being obsessed with her debut album, but knowing there was something about her I liked. My favourite from her debut was "How Come You Don't Call Me". I thought her follow up album, Diary was stronger with songs like "Diary" and "Wake Up" showing off her voice. She still sounds great today and has such a wealth of excellent songs, "Unbreakable" "No One" "In Common" "Time Machine" to pick out a handful.

Lana is a hard pass for me, I don't get it, I only enjoyed her when she had those dance remixes of Summertime Sadness and Young & Beautiful.

Dua has had some good songs, but she's way too high here.

I have 3 left, including one of my top 10.

Comment

• Lana is brilliant, love her artistic evolution since her early days, she keeps getting better.

Amy is great, not sure how I forgot about her. I’m not always into her + she doesn’t have that much music unfortunately so I need to be in a mood to revisit those two albums.

Dua is fine, but overplayed atm and kinda overrated. But still good.

Alicia is ok, I enjoy her casually. Hosted two of her album survivors because no one else would

Not a fan of Justin overall.

last.fm

Comment

• I have a lot to say, but it's going to have to wait because I am just so dumbfounded that G$ voted for JT.

Comment

• Lana is a bit overrated imo
                                                    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Working...
                                                    X