UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Okay, so I'll obviously have voted for everyone in this batch and the two remaining ones.

Bruno Mars - definitely one of my favourite acts in music despite the fact that he's only put out three albums, with relatively few songs on each of them. He's a walking bulletin board for quality over quantity.
    Ariana Grande - I never expected to fall for her the way I did, but that Sweetener era with those singles broke down my walls. She is a truly outstanding artist and when she gets it right, she's up there with the great pop divas of all-time.
    The Weeknd - a good bit higher than I thought he would be, but I can't deny he's put out some quality stuff in the last decade.
    Kelly Clarkson - totally validated American Idol as a contest from which legitimate artists could emerge and forge lasting careers. She's one of the easiest musicians to support because she comes off as a genuine sweetheart.
    Taylor Swift - my #2 and considering how my #1's neglected me, I almost put T-Swizzle as my #1. Her catalogue speaks for itself. Just great songwriting from day one that's evolved and matured as she has. "August" is probably my favourite song of all-time at this point.

Spoiler!

One of my defining moments on UK Mix I fear
    " And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
    Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

• Catching up…

Ciara was my #47, great first era and lots of bops since.

Avril and Miley - yeah they’re good in different ways, Avril was much better at the start and Miley is much better now.

Nelly Furtado I placed at #20 because the Loose era was so damn good, plus I’m Like A Bird and a handful of great features. Shame it all went downhill.

Girls Aloud obviously high in my votes at #2, a flawless singles catalogue and simply one of the best British groups of all time. The fact they came from reality TV and managed ten years and a Brit award says it all.

Lana is so overrated aside from Born To Die era. Alicia still releases good music but she’s hit and miss - TSWABH is her high point.

I thought Amy would make the top 10 so a bit disappointed but I guess her career wasn’t that long. Two iconic albums and a true music icon.

Great to see Dua so high! She still feels so new despite being around for over 5 years but I guess she had a bit of a climb to her current status and it looked at one point she would stall but New Rules saved the day. She’s evolved so much between eras and is one of of best pop stars. My #16.

Justin was just inside my top 30, loads of great songs over the years especially the FS/LS era. One of the defining artists of the 00s.

Well thankfully Taylor didn’t win or make the top 5 - I like the odd song but Christ she’s overrated and annoying.

Bruno is a great talent with a real classic voice, lots of bops and soulful moments over the years. #36 on my list.

Neither Ariana or The Weeknd made my top 50 but both were very close. The Weeknd gets better and better lately, while Ariana’s musical output is less appealing to me now than it was 6/7 years ago.

Kelly C was my #40, her Breakaway era was so good and really helped her break the mould of the Idol label. Loads of great stuff since too, and she seems a lovely person.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
        One of my defining moments on UK Mix I fear
        Indeed!
        Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#77]
        Akini's Favourite TV Series: [5-1!]
        Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 About Damn Time [2 weeks]
        AlbumClash 2.0: [Beyoncé vs. Calvin Harris]
        The Killers: Pressure Machine Album Survivor [R6 --> Final]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

• 005 Katy Perry - 1,020 pts.

At 16, Katy Perry, then sporting her government name Katy Hudson, released a self-titled gospel album in 2001, selling all of 200 copies worldwide. For the handful of family members and friends that supported that first effort, they might've expected that to be the curtain call on the young singer's career, but she stormed back seven years later, with a song titled "I Kissed a Girl" no less, and for that 2008-2014 window, Katy Perry was an unstoppable force on the pop charts. Her 'Teenage Dream' era is a hall of famer as far as pop eras go, with a record-breaking six US #1s across its original and complete confection editions. Even with questionable single choices, her 'Prism' era would be enormously successful as she scored two diamond-certified US chart-toppers and headlined the most-watched SuperBowl halftime show performance ever, featuring those iconic twin dancing sharks. Since then, Katy's had comparatively middling commercial success, but her cumulative efforts and accomplishments have certainly solidifed her as one of the premier pop icons of her generation.
          Code:
          Fan club: InFamous (#1); ludichris (#1); vinnie65 (#2); spiritboy (#2); Mickael2013 (#4); jjavier1978 (#4); FreakyFlyBry (#4); crystalphoenix (#6); RayRay (#7); Affillate (#7); Ivica (#9); Goldmoney (#9); artur (#10); Tansike; stevyy; JSparksFan; Benny; theMathematician; Ewokguy15; Thriller; mattsky; Carbon; Ska8er; bm08; jordi_89; Wayne; cheapthrills; Spartan; Lemo; Leo; sg1996
          Key songs: Firework; Dark Horse; California Gurls; Roar; E.T.; I Kissed a Girl; Hot n Cold; Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.); Teenage Dream; Wide Awake; Part of Me; Chained to the Rhythm
          Key albums: Teenage Dream; One of the Boys; Prism

004 Beyoncé - 1,035 pts.

With more Grammy (28), VMA (26), NAACP Image (24), BET (31), and Soul Train (17) awards than any other singer in music history, it would be a fair opinion to surmise that Beyoncé is the critics' choice musician of the new millennium. Billboard's top female artist of the 2000s decade, Beyoncé has achieved sustained solo success for going on to two decades now, constantly raising the musicianship bar for herself and her peers. She is widely regarded as the top live performer both of her generation and of all-time, earning Pollstar's top touring artist honour for the 2010s decade. She's also been incredibly influential, reinvigorating concept and surprise albums. Proving that she's only getting better with time like a fine wine, Beyoncé's most recent solo studio album, 'Lemonade', is her most critically acclaimed release of her career, earning plaudits for its wide-sourced genres and lyricism. As one of the most disciplined and hardest working people in the industry, there's every reason to believe that, despite her tenure in the industry, the best of Beyoncé may still be ahead of her.
          Code:
          Fan club: abi (#1); Goldmoney (#1); Ska8er (#1); bm08 (#3); cheapthrills (#3); JSparksFan (#3); Noahh (#3); Mugen (#4); Thriller (#5); theMathematician (#5); Jonathan (#5); spiritboy (#6); radcl (#6); JeremySpears (#6); Infamous (#9); Leo (#9); Thombus; Spartan; crystalphoenix; Rawiri James; sg1996; ludichris; mattsky; Wayne; Andilversen; stevyy; abidhaq; RayRay
          Key songs: Crazy in Love; Irreplaceable; Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It); Halo; If I Were a Boy; Baby Boy; Check on It; Drunk in Love; Beautiful Liar; Déjà Vu; Sweet Dreams; Naughty Girl
          Key albums: Dangerously in Love; I Am...Sasha Fierce; B'Day; Beyoncé; Lemonade; 4

003 Adele - 1,088 pts.

At least once in a generation, there is an artist that reaches across all demographics and unifies music listeners from all backgrounds. A slam dunk case can be made that this generation's musician in question is Adele, whose soul-pop sophomore release '21' broke chart records worldwide at a time where physical album sales were dwindling in favour of digital downloads and the ever-growing streaming market. Adele channeled heartbreak and bitterness in a way that resonated with nearly everyone. We're now six years removed from her most recent '25' release and the thirst for new Adele could not be deeper.
          Code:
          Fan club: Mickael2013 (#2); radcl (#5); cheapthrills (#5); bm08 (#8); Lemo (#8); Metalweb (#8); InFamous (#8); JSparksFan (#9); spiritboy; matthew_dixon; Thriller; Thombus; Spartan; theMathematician; RyanS; Ska8er; FreakyFlyBry; Goldmoney; Wayne; mattsky; Andilversen; Carbon; Ewokguy15; Tansike; abidhaq; Leo; RayRay; sg1996; Ivica; CZB; stevyy; Affillate; vinnie65
          Key songs: Rolling in the Deep; Someone Like You; Hello; Set Fire to the Rain; Skyfall; Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
          Key albums: 21; 25; 19

Spoiler!

Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#77]
          Akini's Favourite TV Series: [5-1!]
          Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 About Damn Time [2 weeks]
          AlbumClash 2.0: [Beyoncé vs. Calvin Harris]
          The Killers: Pressure Machine Album Survivor [R6 --> Final]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

• Adele really is everyone's darling .

Comment

• Adull higher than King is all sorts of wrong.

That’s to be expected on BlandkMix tho.

Comment

• Excellent for Katy

I have to say I am quite shocked to see her appear in the top 5. I think it is because her haters on UK MIX are so extreme, loud, hateful and bitter about her that one can be led to think that everyone simply hates her here. Its nice to see her place highly as Teenage Dream records its 189th week on the UK Charts and its 244th week on the US charts, truly a classic album, the female thriller, the most successful female album in history in terms of single performance in the US. And of course she remains the only Triple Diamond Single Certified QUEEN in history.

And of course what sets her apart from the other pop basics is that she can actually sing live, play instruments and is actually instrumental in writing her own songs.
                Like this million selling, platinum certified, solo penned US hit.

Amazing, fantastic, brilliant, superb, incredible.

Congrats also to Bey and Adele !

Comment

• My fave Kitty song is prolly Last Friday Night - classik 80s cheese updated for the modern era.

Comment

• All three great artists! Beyonce first, then Adele, then Katy.

Pending Adele, all three’s best days are behind them though.

Bey’s best songs - Countdown, Crazy In Love, Broken-Hearted Girl, Love On Top, I Care

Adele - Hometown Glory, Water Under The Bridge, Rolling In The Deep, One And Only, When We Were Young

Katy - Teenage Dream, Hot N Cold, California Gurls, Birthday, Swish Swish

Comment

• I love all three as well.

Katy being the best singer out of the three... a vocalist. <3
                      My Chart

Comment

• You just out-Infamoused InFamous

Comment

• Avril Lavigne is an icon. Doesn’t get the credit she deserves.

Miley is arguably the most iconic ex-act and I love her versatility. Huge part of my childhood and I think she deserves more recognition.

RIP Amy Winehouse. A genius and it’s so sad that we only have two albums from her. "Back to Black" is one of the most important albums ever.

JT deserved to be in the Top 10. My misogynistic Pop Prince. I don’t like him as a person that much anymore even though I'm not part of the JT hate train either but his music is just too good and I could never stop liking it.

Bruno Mars and The Weeknd are two of the best male artists we have right now.

Ariana Grande has a lot of bops and "Dangerous Woman" and "thank u, next" are two excellent pop albums. "Positions" was very bad though.

Taylor is a ******* legend and she deserved to be in the Top 3 AT LEAST. She’s a genius and might never stop breaking records.

Ciara, Nelly Furtado and Kelly Clarkson all have their bops but I didn’t expect them to be so high on this list. Kelly is one of the most likeable celebrities imo.
                          I can’t believe that people voluntarily and unironically listen to Katy Perry. I mean I did too…but I was 10 back then.

Beyoncé is on another level and she keeps getting better and better with each album. She is one of the best performers and vocalists and the last artist to reach legend status in my opinion.

Most of Adele's music is not my cup of tea but her voice is incredible. I love her as a person she's so fun and down to earth.
                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Poor Katy haters losing, we love to see it.

Comment

• Surprised at Katy Perry being so high. She's a lucky recipient of excellent promo, catchy hooks and she's got the personality to carry it off but as for sheer talent she doesn't compete Vs Beyonce and Adele. No shade, she's a good solid pop star - nothing wrong with that.

Agree with Thriller Mike though, it appears their best days are behind them right now.

Comment

• Honestly shocked Katy beat out Taylor and Adele beat out Beyoncé.

Comment

• "One of The Boys" was amazing, sadly all other Katy's albums had a poor quality.
                                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• Katy is great but at #5 seems a bit high! I expected Beyonce in the top 5 as she is definitely one of the best to debut. Adele is simply amazing. Didn't think she would make it to top 5 but its inarguable she is one of the best.
                                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• All 3 are legendary acts and will go down in history for various reasons, some of their accomplishments will never be beaten. I personally put Katy in front as she has the most songs in my library, Adele would have fared a lot better in my votes if she wasn't such an elusive chanteuse and released more regularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                        You just out-Infamoused InFamous
                                        Your exuberant stanning of GOAT has been a great source of inspiration for me.

Comment

• I threw Katy some points - I used to really love her. You could graph my enthusiasm with each release like a water slide though. Radio played her too damn much and I was pretty tired of her by the time Roar came out.

Adele and Beyonce are both in my top five; Bey slight ahead of Adele. I'm forever a member of the Beyhive. Love all the many faces of Bey we've seen through her music over the years, the empowerment, the social issues, and the pure pop fun. Wish she had made the top two.

I'd put Adele lower only because she's had less output - we've gotten three (stellar) albums from her, but 25 is definitely my favorite album of the last 20 years. I think I played the hell out of it for a good two years. Looking forward to when she releases her 4th album, 84

Comment

• I can’t believe that people voted for Katy Perry.
                                            It's a man's man's man's world. | My last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                              Adull higher than King is all sorts of wrong.

That’s to be expected on BlandkMix tho.
                                              Since Mariah's gonna be at #1, the one true proof of a BlandkMix
                                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• This countdown perfectly describes an awful quality of current female singers.
                                                There is not any good popular female singer, who started her music career in 2010s decade.
                                                In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

• I expected Beyonce to win and I'm surprised Adele is so high. The entire top 5 is iconic, of course. Katy Perry is one of the most important pop artists of the last two decades, no doubt about it. Such a shame she's been flopping for the last few years.
                                                  Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• This countdown proved me once more that i should never take part of these again
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                    X