No announcement yet.

UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great countdown Akini, surprised Rihanna still holds up after peaking some time ago but she really did conquer the mid 00s so kudos.

​​​​

Comment

• Fantastic countdown Akini, thanks for hosting this.

So glad Gaga didn't win this, Rihanna is a more deserved winner. RiRi was my #5, Gaga on the other hand wasn't in my top 50 I like her though.

Comment

• Fantastic job of presenting the results, JSparksFan

Both were in my top ten - Gaga ahead of RiRi. Gaga had such a strasospheric peak in her boom years that I feel like what followed gets really overlooked - she proved to have much more versatility than I ever imagined. She's had some wildly different changes of pace with her show performances and music. Of course, that peak was stunning. Bad Romance was a moment. And I'm trying to think of anyone else in the past 20 years who matches what she did in that time - the videography, the fashion, the musical impact - I'm pretty pleased the monsters turned out for her.

Rihanna is a deserved #1. At first, she was pretty faceless for me. She churned out hit after hit though. I feel like I loved the music, but I didn't feel her. It was really years before I realized wow, Rihanna has produced a lot of songs that I like. Not only that, despite the constant and sheer output of her music, I found I was never tiring of her. She proved to be such a chameleon that she easily veered from R&B to pop to dance and back again without it seeming forced. I can understand why she might be burnt out from recording - it seemed as if she was chained up in the studio the way she kept releasing music. The fact that Rihanna (and Adele) haven't released anything since I joined UKMix is pretty crushing though. :sad:

Comment

• Congrats on an excellent countdown JSparksFan.

Tonally Rihanna is one of my favourite singers and good to see her emerge victorious.

Gaga is so so for me. But when she does it right she does it amazingly well - Always remember is this way
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• I didn't even vote for either of the top 2!

I was really into Rihanna about 10 years ago but my interest has waned and I don't have as many of her songs in my library anymore. She had an incredible run at the top though. Lady Gaga has been back on my radar since A Star Is Born and Chromatica is my favourite album from her. I think my ranking would be different in a few years time once some of the acts release new material.

Comment

• I am so shocked about Katy Perry being UKMIX‘s leading lady.

To me, she was always the side dish to a great main course.

Rihanna at #1 was expected although I thought it would have been Taylor in the end.
              What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

• My thoughts on the top two:

Lady Gaga - my #4. What an incredible career. She's so talented and I love how much she pushed queerness in her music early on. The GP had to deal and she was so fearless and unapologetic about it.
                Rihanna - my #1. Yes, there's a bit of a West Indian bias in seeing a pop star from a similar background incorporate certain elements of my culture within my fave genre of music, but I also admire and respect her consistency between 2005 and 2016. I grew up on RiRi and she's soundtracked so many big moments of my life. I hope she releases soon!

Spoiler!

Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [15 weeks] + Adele's return

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• Many thanks to everyone for participating and hope y'all enjoyed it! I actually discovered quite a few awesome new songs through this (Katie Melua's "Call Off the Search" has since been added to my wedding playlist) and I might be an Arctic Monkeys fan now!

I also have infinitely more respect for the regular countdown hosts. Cheers, y'all.

Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [15 weeks] + Adele's return

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                  Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                  Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                  Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• Thanks for hosting this, Akini - really well done.

Lady Gaga is okay - she's had some great songs and some not-so-great songs. I'd say "Born This Way" tracks I know were generally better than ones from "The fame".

Rihanna - wow - alas that is an incredible anticlimax for me. If there was a countdown of the "Worst Acts of the last 20 years", I would seriously consider her in my top 5. The odd track, like "Umbrella" or "Don't Stop The Music", is okay I guess, but the vast majority of Rihanna's output I've personally found dreadful.

Comment

• I am very happy with the winner, but it's so sad she's not releasing music anymore (or maybe it's a good thing cause I don't know how her music would sound like now)

The years from 2006 to 2012 or so were perfect, I liked most things she released in that period. Anti isn't so great in my opinion, but it has the masterpiece Kiss it better on it.
                      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Gaye Su Akyol ?
                        This must be joke

Comment

Working...
                        X