UKMIX Favourite Artists of the Last 20 Years: [#1 - A queen is crowned!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Avicii - 132 pts.

One of the most popular DJs of the 2010s, Avicii had a solid streak of EDM hits in the last decade, crafted in his signature style, that helped soundtrack the club scene of the last 10 years, working with a broad range of artists, everyone from Lenny Kravitz to Leona Lewis to Wyclef Jean. Tragically, at the age of 28, the music world lost Avicii, though his contributions have cemented him as an icon of a truly memorable era in music history.
    Code:
    Fan club: CZB (#1); SholasBoy, Benny, cheapthrills, vinnie65
    Key songs: Wake Me Up; Hey Brother; Levels
    Key albums: True

099 Daughtry - 133 pts.

Frontman Chris Daughtry parlayed his shock American Idol elimination into the most successful non-winner career to date. Daughtry's eponymous debut album became the fastest-selling album in SoundScan history and though the band's record sales are largely domestic to the US and propped up by that massive first era, they've continued to crank out music, most recently releasing a new 2021 single "Heavy Is the Crown" that's actually rather good and proves that the guys have still got it.
    Code:
    Fan club: vinnie65 (#3); Benny (#3), FreakyFlyBry
    Key songs: It's Not Over; Home; What About Now
    Key albums: Daughtry

098 Scissor Sisters - 136 pts.

​​​​​​​
    Originated from the New York nightlife scene with a name sourced from the team lesbian gang of the LGBTQ+ community, Scissor Sisters had a rather explosive debut era, with their self-titled first album becoming the top-selling LP in the UK in 2004. They connected with dance-pop fans rather easily with their infectious, jam-ready melodies that were scented with whiffs of the 70s disco scene.

Code:
    Fan club: RyanS (#2); matthew_dixon (#6); cheapthrills; Wayne; Thombus; CZB
    Key songs: I Don't Feel Like Dancin'; Let's Have a Kiki
    Key albums: Scissor Sisters; Ta-Dah

097 Paloma Faith - 137 pts.

​​​​​​​
    With a stunning voice that seamlessly conquered ballads in a style that merged the celestial-pop sound of Florence + the Machine with the soul-pop rawness of Adele, Paloma Faith had a big breakthrough in 2012 when "Picking Up the Pieces" became her first UK top 10 hit. She would continue a moderately successful career, recently putting out a much more dance-pop LP that showcased a more bouncy sound from the balladeer.

Code:
    Fan club: spiritboy (#10); RayRay; Thriller; Wayne; Metalweb
    Key songs: Only Love Can Hurt Like This; Picking Up the Pieces; Lullaby
    Key albums: Fall to Grace; A Perfect Contradiction

096 Mumford & Sons - 138 pts.

​​​​​​​
    Folk-rock band Mumford & Sons released a string of albums that went top two in both the US and the UK. Their first two eras had the biggest impact, particularly the 'Babel' era, which saw the band win the Grammy award for Album of the Year...even with a 63/100 Metacritic score. Though not listed as a key song, "Below My Feet" from their 'Babel' album is a super recent discovery for me and is rather lovely.
    Code:
    Fan club: Andilversen (#7); stevyy; theMathematician; Leo
    Key songs: I Will Wait; Little Lion Man; Believe; The Cave
    Key albums: Sigh No More; Babel

Spoiler!
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Stay (not the Rihanna one)

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Avicii is a great shout, I should’ve thrown him a few points.

I did vote for Scissor Sisters - they’ve had some really brilliant music, Let’s Have a Kiki is a tune.

I also voted for Paloma, she’s batshit crazy but wonderfully talented.

Comment

• Good to see the Scissor Sisters in here, they were really unique and their music always makes me smile.

Comment

• Avicii has a great track record behind him - some absolute bangers
          See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Meh, meh, meh, meh and meh.

Comment

• Scissor Sister are such an underrated gem of a queer band. Ugh, I wish they'd smashed in America and stuck around.

Comment

• Daughtry making it is surprising - haven't thought about him in years, but he did have some good songs.

Avicii and Scissor Sisters gave me some tunes I still play all the time. Too bad the US wasn't really ready for Scissor Sisters when they hit big.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thombus View Post
                  Wayne I really admire your hard work and dedication to UKMix over the years. You're a lovely chap too. But Gareth Gates at number 12? This changes things.
                  Agree

Comment

• Avicii really does have some class tunes.

Daughtry is a random one for the top 100, I only know the one Westlife covered… oh actually I think maybe Shayne Ward covered one too.

Scissor Sisters were so close to making my list, their debut album was brilliant and I also LOVE Let’s Have A Kiki.

Paloma was #14 on my list, she’s easily one of my favourite female artists, she can turn her hand to any genre and her Architect era was brilliant.

Mumford have a handful of good tracks but they mostly sound the same.

Comment

• Avicii my no.18. Came out with some really instrumentals to start with and just got better as his popularity increased. Strong albums both with singles and album tracks.
                      1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        34. [17 POINTS] - Saturdays

You've not lost The Saturdays. The host explained they're in the 100 - with newly combined votes for The Saturdays and Saturdays.

On reflection, i should have put them in my top 50 somewhere but they wouldn't have been higher than 40.

Maybe i should have included Scissor Sisters, too. But they were such a letdown after that first album they wouldn't have been high either.
                        Last edited by Blondini; Wed June 9, 2021, 16:22.

Comment

• Didn’t vote any of them but all have some good songs - especially Daughtry.

Comment

• I think I might have placed M&S too high lol

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                              Meh, meh, meh, meh and meh.
                              Tough crowd! This next set has an act that *may* rise above "meh" territory for you.

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Out of this bunch, Paloma Faith is my favorite one. She's really talented and her visuals are great. Her success has been constant until her last album sadly.

I liked some of Scissor Sisters' music but not enough to place them in my top 100 apparently. I also like some of Avicii songs, it would've been great if his version of Rebel Heart was released as the lead single of Madonna's RH album.
                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• 095 Katie Melua - 138 pts.

It would seem that UKMixers either had Katie Melua in their top eight or they completely disregarded her presence. As such, her massive average-point score of 46 ranks as the joint-highest in the top 100. In addition to being a former champ of Leo's "The Artists League" (via a submission from Carbon, one of her trio of supporters here), the blues and folk-pop singer-songwriter reigned as one of Europe's top-selling acts in the mid-2000s. Fun fact - there's an asteroid (no. 25131, to be precise) named "Katiemelua".
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: CZB (#3); Carbon (#4); Spartan (#8)
                                  Key songs: What a Wonderful World; Nine Million Bicycles; The Closest Thing to Crazy
                                  Key albums: Call Off the Search; Piece by Piece

094 James Blunt - 138 pts.

Here's the other act with that colossal 46-point average score - the Ed Sheeran of the 2000s, in a sense. James had that meteoric debut 'Back to Bedlam' era, which saw the LP become the best-selling album in the UK in 2005, and never managed to capture that lightning in the bottle level of success again, but did manage to chart UK top 5 albums as recently as two years ago.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: matthew_dixon (#2); Metalweb (#4), Benny (#9)
                                  Key songs: You're Beautiful; Goodbye My Lover; Bonfire Heart
                                  Key albums: Back to Bedlam

093 Jessie J - 141 pts.

A powerhouse vocalist, who's received both praise and criticism for her Aguilera-esque belts, the first half of the 2010s saw Jessie J release a string of successful singles off the early excitement of her being one of the UK's brightest pop/R&B talents. Fun fact - y'all thought "Bang Bang" was gonna be the hottest of messes...and then the world high-key stanned. The latter half of the 2010s saw Jessie J randomly contesting (and winning) the Chinese singing competition "I Am a Singer", releasing the missed-every-major-chart LP 'R.O.S.E., and putting out a Christmas album. Perhaps there's still enough chug-chug left in the Jessie J train. Time will tell.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: sg1996, Affillate, abi, Tansike, abidhaq, RayRay
                                  Key songs: Bang Bang, Price Tag, Domino, Do It Like a Dude, Wild
                                  Key albums: Who You Are

092 Keyshia Cole - 142 pts.

​​​​​​​

The mid-to-late 2000s were kind to the good sis Keyshia. She launched several #1 US R&B hits and garnered a handful of Grammy nominations. She even showcased her family life on BET in the 'The Way It Is' reality/documentary series. Weirdly enough, we never did manage to get a collab with her and Mary J. Blige, which seems like one of the most obvious pairings ever. In recent months, Keyshia did a Verzuz with Ashanti and while Twitter seemed divided on who came out on top there, UKMix is siding with Keyshia, 142-119.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: Rawiri James (#8); Goldmoney (#8); ludichris; Thombus; abidhaq
                                  Key songs: Let It Go; I Should Have Cheated; Heaven Sent; I Remember
                                  Key albums: The Way It Is; Just Like You; A Different Me

091 Amy Macdonald - 143 pts.

​​​​​​​

Scottish folk-rock singer Amy Macdonald never seemed to have major success outside of Europe, but her music's clearly made an indelible impact on the forum's members over the years. Fun fact - Amy Macdonald's first music love (and concert) was my current avi, the legendary Michael Jackson.
                                  Code:
                                  Fan club: LastDreamer (#9); Tansike; Benny; CZB; matthew_dixon; RayRay; Lemo
                                  Key songs: Mr. Rock & Roll; This Is the Life
                                  Key albums: This ls the Life

Spoiler!

Comment

• All those people made Top 100 but Tinashe didn’t.
                                    What happened to the vibing? Boy, you killed it. | My last.fm

Comment

• No one knows who Tinashe is. She had one semi successful song ten years ago or something
                                      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• I used to Stan for Keyshia back in the 2007-2012 days and she's definitely one of my main R&B highlights of the 2000s. Lots of great songs and memories in her back catalogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                          All those people made Top 100 but Tinashe didn’t.
                                          Exactly. Tinasha deserved better.
                                          Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                            No one knows who Tinashe is. She had one semi successful song ten years ago or something
                                            Her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. Damn right, it’s better than yours. #Justice4Nashe

Comment

• The fact Cheryl has more #1s than 10% of the top 100 without the assistance of featured artists or guest starring on someone else’s record and still missed the top 100...
                                              I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post

Her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. Damn right, it’s better than yours. #Justice4Nashe
                                                Was that not Kelis ?
                                                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• James Blunt is the type of artist, just like Amy MacDonald unfortunately, who has got a lot of 5/10 songs in their discography. My favorite of Blunt's is 'Postcards' (It's a 7/10 for me.). My favorite of MacDonald's is 'This Is The Life' (It's a 10/10 for me.).
                                                  Pro: freedom of speech
                                                  Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Was that not Kelis ?
                                                    Yeah it was but that can be applied to to great R&B artists as well

Comment

Working...
                                                    X