What Is the Biggest Flop in Music History?

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits, JSparksFan

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 pm

cheapthrills wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:I legit feel bad for Robin, or any other person out there who gets a nice taste of HUGE success and then is forgotten..
The saddest thing with him is that he worked his way for a decade to finally release that success, and because of bad timing (Blurred Lines being deemed an offensive/politically incorrect song, etc...), his next album was his biggest flop since his first record. The r&b crowd and his newfound pop crowd both abandoned him at the same time.
I thought Robin had been discovered cheating on his wife or something? And then this album was about her, kind of an apology record. Idk, maybe making this up in my head.
Funny thing is that Blurred Lines was so controversial for ripping off Marvin Gaye, but then Paula was also a ripoff... Marvin Gaye beat him to the punch with a divorce album in the 70s

NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm

I personally like her music but I think Yoko Ono could easily fit on this list several times.

In the early 70s, she and Lennon would release their albums on the same date. The biggest discrepany being in 1971 when "Fly" was released the same day as Lennon's Imagine. Imagine went to #1 and contains the most iconic non-Beatles song he ever recorded..... whereas Fly slayed the charts on the other end of the Billboard 200, peaking at #199. SMASH!!!
NothingFails
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Justin Timberlake - Man of The Woods
biscuits
The Diva

Postby stevyy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm

biscuits wrote:Justin Timberlake - Man of The Woods
Man of the woods:

#1 - USA (300k)
#1 - Belgium (F)
#1 - Netherlands
#1 - Germany
#2 - UK (20k)
#3 - Ireland
#6 - Belgium (W)
#6 - Sweden
#8 - Italy
#8 - Norway
#10 - France

probably 400k first week WW.
stevyy
Legend

Postby BillyBlitzkid » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:56 pm

stevyy wrote:
biscuits wrote:Justin Timberlake - Man of The Woods
Man of the woods:

#1 - USA (300k)
#1 - Belgium (F)
#1 - Netherlands
#1 - Germany
#2 - UK (20k)
#3 - Ireland
#6 - Belgium (W)
#6 - Sweden
#8 - Italy
#8 - Norway
#10 - France

probably 400k first week WW.
Quote for emphasis. This CAN'T be a flop anymore, as it shifted nearly the same numbers in week 1 that Katy Perry sold since release. It might underperform in the end, but it is by no means a flop. Reaching 2 in some charts because of the soundtrack to the greatest showman can't be a significant indicator. Who would call Madonnas "Frozen" a flop because it peaked at 2 in many many charts behind "My heart will go on"? Let's just wait and see. I myself have a bad feeling about the era as a whole, as clearly people are on a hunt for him right now, but calling it a flop is not justified.
Many miles many roads I have traveled
Fallen down on the way
Many hearts many years have unraveled
Leading up to today
BillyBlitzkid
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Sinead O'Connor's ''The Emperor's New Clothes'' single
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:39 am

NothingFails wrote:I personally like her music but I think Yoko Ono could easily fit on this list several times.

In the early 70s, she and Lennon would release their albums on the same date. The biggest discrepany being in 1971 when "Fly" was released the same day as Lennon's Imagine. Imagine went to #1 and contains the most iconic non-Beatles song he ever recorded..... whereas Fly slayed the charts on the other end of the Billboard 200, peaking at #199. SMASH!!!
Legend.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Return to General Music Discussion