Indie pop songs?

Moderators: biscuits, tdc2000

Postby gio88 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm really starting to like indie pop songs with great and catchy hooks like these:
http://youtu.be/qQkBeOisNM0

http://youtu.be/6ECw5DTULQ8

http://youtu.be/WbN0nX61rIs

Do you know others songs like that ? Thanks
gio88
Personal Assistant

Postby navi » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 am

These are not exactly indie songs,
but anyway, every step into right direction should be hailed.
Just Google it, and you will find tons of indie stuff.
THUMPERS - Sound of screams similar drumming as in Fun song
Cloud control - Scar
Amber run - Pilot
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby gio88 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:57 pm

thanks for the help!!!!!
gio88
Personal Assistant

Postby Timmy94 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:10 pm

What about Of Monster & Men's Little Talks?
Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!
Timmy94
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:15 pm

What about Dotan - Home? :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby DayFusion » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:03 am

DayFusion
Superstar

Postby Justin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:05 am

Britney - work bitch :wink:
Justin
Groupie

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:07 am

I hate the word indie. :lol:

I know it means independent from a major label etc but I've never understood it's use in describing music.
Why do I love you so if you're just a spec of dust, floating endlessly amongst the trillion stars?
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby DayFusion » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:38 am

Justin wrote:Britney - work bitch :wink:
:lol:
DayFusion
Superstar

Postby Lollo95 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:27 am

CrazyCrazy wrote:I hate the word indie. :lol:

I know it means independent from a major label etc but I've never understood it's use in describing music.
I use the word "indie" when I want to sound cool/hipster-ish. :lol: "What kind of music do you listen to?" "Oh, Indie, and I'm better than you".

Seriously though, "indie" alone isn't used to describe music. That means independent, as you already know. In music, we have genres like "indie pop", "indie rock", "indie-tronica" that describes songs that are like cross-overs between a pop song and something more alternative, that would be played by an independent artist.

I think that "indie pop" or "alternative pop" are basically the same thing.
Lollo95
Superstar

Postby joel77m77 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Lollo95 wrote:Seriously though, "indie" alone isn't used to describe music. That means independent, as you already know. In music, we have genres like "indie pop", "indie rock", "indie-tronica" that describes songs that are like cross-overs between a pop song and something more alternative, that would be played by an independent artist.

I think that "indie pop" or "alternative pop" are basically the same thing.
I agree.

For me I tend to think indie is like Kaiser Chiefs type of music. But I think this is probably because I'm from the UK where they along with other 'idie' artists were a big chart force for indie music a few years back and so I tend to associate them with each other.
joel77m77
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:26 pm

I used to love all the variations on Indie (pop, rock, folk), nowadays I've grown to really hate indie pop. I like certain indie rock or folk artists, that is if they don't sound like boring replicas of every other band in the genre to me.

Anyway, for the original poster, if you want what you described, check out Ingrid Michaelson's album Lights Out (and her other stuff which is also indie pop but in smaller doses). I dislike the album, but it has the similar fun.-esque stuff etc.
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:01 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:I use the word "indie" when I want to sound cool/hipster-ish. :lol:
Yeah it just seems to be a word people who listen to pop music use to describe anything that isn't. Reminds me of "rock fans". :lol:
Why do I love you so if you're just a spec of dust, floating endlessly amongst the trillion stars?
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Biebz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:21 am

mrlemonade wrote:
Anyway, for the original poster, if you want what you described, check out Ingrid Michaelson's album Lights Out (and her other stuff which is also indie pop but in smaller doses).
I really enjoyed this album :)

I Never Learn by Lykke Li is the album to go though 8-)
retro sensibility with a futuristic flare
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby heppolo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:05 am

One of the first songs that had that distinctive indie pop sound
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JahWomble » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:54 pm

'Indie' originally meant '(post-punk/new wave track/act) released on an independent label'. This was around 1979, by which time labels like Rough Trade, Mute, Cherry Red and Factory had started cropping up across Britain. The UK Indie Chart started up in January 1980 and reflected all this, with artists such as Spizz, Crass, Joy Division, Fad Gadget, Theatre Of Hate and Killing Joke regulars on the listings. (By the late eighties, however, the Indie Chart was awash with pop acts like Kylie, Rick Astley and Jason Donovan who were all part of the PWL stable - nonetheless, an independent outfit.)

The expression 'indie' had in any case pretty much lost its original meaning by the mid-eighties, when it seemed primarily to be used to describe jangly bands finding cult popularity in the wake of the Smiths: eg, the Wedding Present, June Brides, Soup Dragons, Shop Assistants and the aforementioned Housemartins (who of course went on to mainstream success). The application of the term to describe white, floppy-fringed, fey guitar types continued well into the nineties (Ride, Lush, early Suede, etc), but during the decade the music press was constantly creating further sub-genres (Shoegaze, Britpop, Dadrock, Lo-fi, Post-rock, etc, etc). In short, whether a band was on an independent label was neither here nor there anymore. (The expression was, by the millennium, diluted to encompass pretty much all alternative rock - particularly that that was chart-worthy: some even spread the net to include US acts like Pavement, Sebadoh, Buffalo Tom, Mazzy Star, etc.) Over the past few years, I think that the term has lost any real identity whatsoever.

IMO, the point of no return came when Spice Girl Mel C tried to re-invent herself - for the duration of one summer only - as an 'indie rock chick'. No disrespect to her (it was likely her management's decision anyway), but, at that point, it became pretty clear that 'indie' was by now just a musical coat-hanger upon which anybody could choose to drape their garb in order to try and appear cool or hip. Which - ironically - kind of killed the coolness.
Pulling habits out of a rat
JahWomble
Groupie

Return to Mad About Music