Postby Christinamuse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:18 pm

It's not a legendary costume, it's an unfortune lack of taste! :D
https://www.instagram.com/christinasinglove/

http://www.last.fm/user/Christinamuse

Music creates the feelings which you can't find in life
Christinamuse
Personal Assistant

Postby Christinamuse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:39 pm

OMG :o Are you serious?)) It's a legendary costume for you?)) It's a worst attire ever. My tongue even wouldn't form the words to call this awful and vulgar something as a costume, especially as a legendary costume)

Christinamuse
Personal Assistant

Postby Hugo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm

"When life gives you Beyoncé, make LEMONADE." Jesus (Matthew 9; 4)
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Christinamuse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:38 pm

menime123 wrote:Most of those Cher ones and the Shakira one aren't iconic at all. I think the key is if you went in fancy dress in the costume, is it obvious?
What are you talking about? Cher is the greatest singer ever no matter if she wears in a fancy dress or without it at all. Shakira is a talented dancer, singer, her body movements would drive everybody crazy)) certainly, she's not a legend, but we're talking in this thread 'bout legendary costumes, not 'bout legendary stars.

Christinamuse
Personal Assistant

Postby alfiebot » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 pm

menime123 wrote:Most of those Cher ones and the Shakira one aren't iconic at all. I think the key is if you went in fancy dress in the costume, is it obvious?
LOL get a clue, most of these females singer's risky and memorable outfits were INSPIRED by Cher, so do some research 1st.
Xtina said it about her ass-less chaps Dirrty outfits, Lil Kim said she was inspired by Cher's 70's costumes and wigs, Miley said it too, not to mention Gaga who wore outfits inspired by almost every Cher era. Besides, Cher and Diana Ross were 1st singers to wear and do photoshoots in 'naked' dresses and outfits, something every diva has tried in the last 10 years from Britney to Beyonce to JLo.
http://www.mtv.com/news/2520862/cher-pop-stars-trends/
Cher
51 singles on Billboard Hot100~Top 10 albums in 5 decades~100+ million records sold
Oscar~Grammy~Emmy~Golden Globe winner
Touring force
Legend

alfiebot
Personal Assistant

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:30 pm

There is a huge difference between iconic costumes and simply being inspired by someone's past looks. Iconic costumes are those that are synonymous with 1 person, and should someone else where it, everyone would know it was an attempt at imitation.

For example, who on earth wears Madonna's cones but Madonna? They're one of her ultimate signature looks. But when she made her Material Girl video she didn't claim to be inspired by Marilyn Monroe - she was copying her! That dress is so iconic we all know Madonna is dressing up as Marilyn.

I'm not disputing Cher's legendary status or the fact she's worn some adventurous clothing that has inspired other designers - but not every look is iconic and not every costume can be legendary. sometimes clothes a popstar wears is just fashion.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:07 pm

menime123 wrote:There is a huge difference between iconic costumes and simply being inspired by someone's past looks.
Exactly, we're discussing here iconicness, not influence in fashion or stuff like that.

Regarding Madonna, I'd say her wedding dress and the conical bra are her two most iconic outfits, regarding Britney I'd say its definately her school girl outfit with either the Snake or Red Oops outfits followed as second.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Taurus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:35 pm

Taurus
Manager

Postby Userkira » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Shakira actually has an iconic look and outfit... I mean, her hair, her belly, her tops, rocker pants or belly-dancing skirts, high boots or even her barefoot!
Singer, Dancer, Producer, Songwritter, Humanitarian, Successful, Rich, Sexy, Beautiful
Records & Awards
Latin Legend - Global superstar
SHAKIRA.
Userkira
Roadie

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Taurus wrote:Image
I wanted to include Bowie in my original post, but couldn't think of anything for him, which lead me to wonder if he has any truly iconic costumes.

I don't even know this one, though I recognise the hair!
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:00 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
menime123 wrote:There is a huge difference between iconic costumes and simply being inspired by someone's past looks.
Exactly, we're discussing here iconicness, not influence in fashion or stuff like that.

Regarding Madonna, I'd say her wedding dress and the conical bra are her two most iconic outfits, regarding Britney I'd say its definately her school girl outfit with either the Snake or Red Oops outfits followed as second.
Being a super Madonna fan, I was conscious of not including loads of her. I agree about the wedding dress, but would have to add her LUCKY STAR costume too - for a LOT of people, that look is the look that defines the entire decade.
menime123
Superstar

Postby Erotica » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:19 pm

I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Shakira's costume is not legendary, neither are Miley's.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:11 pm

menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:17 pm

menime123
Superstar

Postby Jonathan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:15 am

Jonathan
Superstar

Postby AmplifiedHeart » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:41 am

menime123 wrote:There is a huge difference between iconic costumes and simply being inspired by someone's past looks. Iconic costumes are those that are synonymous with 1 person, and should someone else where it, everyone would know it was an attempt at imitation.

For example, who on earth wears Madonna's cones but Madonna? They're one of her ultimate signature looks. But when she made her Material Girl video she didn't claim to be inspired by Marilyn Monroe - she was copying her! That dress is so iconic we all know Madonna is dressing up as Marilyn.

I'm not disputing Cher's legendary status or the fact she's worn some adventurous clothing that has inspired other designers - but not every look is iconic and not every costume can be legendary. sometimes clothes a popstar wears is just fashion.
Kylie wore a cone bra in 1988, 1-2 years before Madonna did. Bettie Page was also photographed wearing a cone bra in the 1950s.

Debbie Harry and Donna Summer wore wedding dresses on stage in the 1970s.

The cone bra and wedding dress might be associated with Madonna more than Kylie, Debbie and Donna but she still got the idea from other people, as per usual. I think every pop star is guilty of looking to the past for inspiration, but Madonna is guilty of it more than anyone else. I don't think there's a closet belonging to an old Hollywood star and 1970s diva that she hasn't raided at some point. Her image in the early 1980s was heavily inpired by Wendy O. Williams, Dale Bozzio, Nina Hagen and Debbie Harry. She has devoured Marilyn Monroe's style. It wasn't just in the Material Girl music video. It was other music videos, photo shoots, single covers and fashion spreads as well. She's obsessed with her.

Just sayin'.
Last edited by AmplifiedHeart on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmplifiedHeart
Roadie

Postby AmplifiedHeart » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:44 am

Stevie Nicks

AmplifiedHeart
Roadie

Postby biscuits » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:10 pm

This thread started off well...
biscuits
The Diva

Postby flopho » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Yes I was going to post that too
biscuits
The Diva

Postby menime123 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:30 pm

AmplifiedHeart wrote:
menime123 wrote:There is a huge difference between iconic costumes and simply being inspired by someone's past looks. Iconic costumes are those that are synonymous with 1 person, and should someone else where it, everyone would know it was an attempt at imitation.

Kylie wore a cone bra in 1988, 1-2 years before Madonna did. Bettie Page was also photographed wearing a cone bra in the 1950s.

Debbie Harry and Donna Summer wore wedding dresses on stage in the 1970s.

The cone bra and wedding dress might be associated with Madonna more than Kylie, Debbie and Donna but she still got the idea from other people, as per usual. I think every pop star is guilty of looking to the past for inspiration, but Madonna is guilty of it more than anyone else. I don't think there's a closet belonging to an old Hollywood star and 1970s diva that she hasn't raided at some point. Her image in the early 1980s was heavily inpired by Wendy O. Williams, Dale Bozzio, Nina Hagen and Debbie Harry. She has devoured Marilyn Monroe's style. It wasn't just in the Material Girl music video. It was other music videos, photo shoots, single covers and fashion spreads as well. She's obsessed with her.

Just sayin'.
Madonna wearing cones since 1987. It's not a competition about who wears or wore them, but they unequivocally 'belong' to Madonna. Just like gold hot pants belong to Kylie.
menime123
Superstar

Postby AmplifiedHeart » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:34 am

I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that Madonna got the cone bra idea from Bettie Page. After all, Madonna has looked to Bettie Page for inspiration several times before. Page was obviously the inspiration behind Madonna's photo shoot with Katy Perry, and she recreated Page’s work with Irving Klaw in the 1950s for the Sex book in the early 1990s. Every pop star has incorporated other people's ideas into their work, but Madonna is guilty of it more than anyone else. She isn't as original as her fans make her out to be.

I honestly don't understand how she could call Lady Gaga reductive. There are dozens of singers, bands, film stars, models, photographers, directors, etc. who could sit there and say the same thing about Madonna. I'm not talking about the Material Girl and Express Yourself music videos. I'm talking about everything else she has lifted from other people's work and incorporated into other music videos, single covers, artwork, performances, fashion shoots, etc. She has been successfully sued several times for plagiarism. How many "homages" does someone need to make?

I remember Madonna fans giving Lady Gaga a hard time for recreating old looks and imagery in her work but why does Madonna get a free pass for doing it? She’s worse than anyone. Why did Kylie get criticised for doing a couple of things that were Marilyn Monroe-esque? It's not like Madonna hasn't devoured Marilyn's look over the last thirty years. Kylie might not have the grip on pop culture that Madonna does, but Kylie blatantly inspired Madonna during the Confessions era. Kylie already delved back into disco music on Light Years in 2000, she also sampled Donna Summer's I Feel Love on tour in 2002. The Love Kylie campaign was obviously the basis for the picture of Madonna sitting in front of the mirror in the Confessions inlay booklet, and Kylie did a photo shoot in 2004 where she was surrounded by disco balls.

Contrary to popular belief, Madonna wasn't the first person to do everything. Sure, she has done things that are well-known in pop culture but it doesn't change the fact that nearly every single one of them came from someone else. A lot of her fans are so ignorant and clueless about pop culture pre-Madonna. I could link dozens of examples of someone doing something before Madonna did it, but I won't as I've already gone way off topic. However, I will end my post with this:

Look familiar? Yeah, thought so. Both of these pre-date Madonna's picture that has her pulling the exact same facial expression with a cigarette hanging out her mouth.
AmplifiedHeart
Roadie

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Firstly, I have to say, this thread is about costumes and not an excuse for people to bash Madonna. Say what you like about her, she is the most visually exciting female pop star the world has ever seen. Half the reason 'legendary costumes' exist is because she proves that image is absolutely key to the pop game. Women bought into who she was and what she represented and the visuals that went with that.

I am a Madonna fan but I am also a fan of pop culture, particularly over the last 100 years. I can't deny that Madonna has been 100% original, but hasn't blatantly copied people either. Everything she does is within her mandate - the message she wants to convey. She said in 2005 that if she ever had an aim, it would be to prove that women "could be sexy and still have a brain". She has done this, and one of the ways in which she has done this is through the power of costume.

I could write essays on this, but the truth is you have to distinguish between blatant copyright material and most modernism. Most of what Madonna does is postmodern - referencing the past with a modern twist. Her Material Girl video is the epitome of that - a materialistic song with a very reference to a materialistic iconic cinematic moment, but with a video about true love triumphing over materialism.

With respect to Gaga, I have no problem with her referencing Madonna. I don't personally like her aesthetics and she doesn't always reference in the right way, but when she gets it right it's really rather nice (Edge of Glory video and Michael Jackson, for example). In terms of being reductive, Madonna said that about the song, not the image - and reductive doesn't mean Madonna dislikes BTW - it just means she thinks hers is better. Nothing wrong with that :lol:

There's an old saying that there is nothing new in this world. I absolutely believe that. Being an avid reader and despite the billions of books this world has produced, there are only 7 stories any one person can tell. So if there's only 7 stories it stands to reason that in one way or another, any form of art is going to be linked to, reference or inspire another. It's your own spin that makes it unique and Madonna's spin usually is about promoting intelligence, sexuality and female empowerment. It's important to remember that a lot of the work Madonna is inspired by had a completely different context to what she is trying to achieve.
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:06 pm

Oh and FYI, Madonna's cones are made by Gautier - and there's no copyright in fashion. He brought them back but it was Madonna that made them happen. They're a throwback to 50s, but in true Madonna style, she's most famous for wearing them as outerwear coupled with a power suit with strong biceps. Empowerment, sexuality, strength and brains all in one and all for a modern woman.
menime123
Superstar

Return to Mad About Music