In 50 years time, how will we view the music of today?

Moderators: biscuits, tdc2000

Postby Wayne » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:15 pm

So, I'm listening to Bob Dylan and it's got me thinking - an artist of his stature has built his status over decades and his body of work stands up next to the biggest acts of all-time and he's probably the most revered male songwriter in music history.

He came out and was subequently successful at a time when the likes of The Beatles, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, The Supremes, Carole King, Aretha Franklin, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys etc. were all starting out or were established acts. These acts and the big names that came out over the ensuing 30/40 years will go down as huge legends, revered names.

There's a latent, snobbish bias towards the music of today and of the last 10/15 years - you even see it at UKMIX sometimes, and I even participate in it myself occasionally when I hear absolute trash such as Rihanna's Work or the latest David Guetta track which sounds like the previous 20 singles he's put out. The cut off points seems to be the turn of the century or around that time.

I guess my question is this - we look back on the 20th Century with reverence, everything being new and it being a time of plenty where music consumption was at its peak. How will we look back on the 2000s, the 2010s - how will we look back on the huge acts that have emerged this century like Rihanna, Beyoncé, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Taylor Swift et al?

MODERATOR NOTICE: this is not an opportunity to bash any acts!
"If we are all in the gutter
It doesn’t change who we are
‘Cause some of us in the gutter
Are looking up at the stars"
Wayne
Legend

Postby jpguy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:24 pm

I wonder if the people from the 70s/80s also thought of Michael Jackson and Madonna and Aretha as trash as well compared to Elvis or The Beatles?...
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:48 pm

jpguy wrote:I wonder if the people from the 70s/80s also thought of Michael Jackson and Madonna and Aretha as trash as well compared to Elvis or The Beatles?...
This is the point of the topic - it feels to me as anyone pre-2000 gets a pass if that makes sense?
"If we are all in the gutter
It doesn’t change who we are
‘Cause some of us in the gutter
Are looking up at the stars"
Wayne
Legend

Postby Biebz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm

retro sensibility with a futuristic flare
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:42 pm

I suppose it depends on whether your tastes change from when you were younger, like people who are 12 now and like Bieber and Perry, will they still think highly of them in 50 years? Probably not, but who knows?

It's true there has always been trash in the charts dating back to the 50's but the really versatile and innovative artists seem to have to take a backseat these days in favor of the generic and gimmicky.
Why do I love you so if you're just a spec of dust, floating endlessly amongst the trillion stars?
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm

I wonder how people will view songs from 50 years ago, in 50 years! Will the songs we think of as classics from the 50s-70s, still be thought of so highly, when nobody who was around at the time is still alive.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby heppolo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:00 am

the mainstream music of 2010s will still seem rubbish 50 years on
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:35 pm

in 50 years we will all be dead for 48 years due to WW3
stevyy
Legend

Postby popBop » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:42 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:I suppose it depends on whether your tastes change from when you were younger, ike people who are 12 now and like Bieber and Perry, will they still think highly of them in 50 years? Probably not, but who knows?

It's true there has always been trash in the charts dating back to the 50's but the really versatile and innovative artists seem to have to take a backseat these days in favor of the generic and gimmicky.
Who is 12? He (@biebz) is 21 I am 19 and I like both bieber and katy. My girlfriend is 21 and she is huge fan of bieber.
And according to one billboard article 70% of bieber's tour audience is above 18. Katy's last hit was in 2014 so a 12 year old became a fan of her in 2014 is still 12 in 2017?

Are you living under rocks granny?
popBop
Personal Assistant

Postby RLAAMJR » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm older than Biebz and popbop but i'm a proud Belieber. :)
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby popBop » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:00 pm

RLAAMJR wrote:I'm older than Biebz and popbop but i'm a proud Belieber. :)
Yeah we know that
popBop
Personal Assistant

Postby MrDiva » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:06 pm

I actually think some songs will have that good iconic status

Others will go down like those aged 80s singles etc
LIKE VICTORIA FOX ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaFoxNow/
Follow me on Instagram @mrdeeva
MrDiva
Superstar

Postby DnBLover » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:13 pm

50 years is a hell too many years. I'm a bit like stevvy... We probably won't all be dead but it probably won't be as it is today.
We're just so used to living in a very stable environment, but it may be well short-lived.

Possibly no one will be even thinking of music from this time.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby popBop » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:14 pm

popBop wrote:
RLAAMJR wrote:I'm older than Biebz and popbop but i'm a proud Belieber. :)
Yeah we know that

There r some beliebers who r even older than you? 8-)
popBop
Personal Assistant

Postby spiritboy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:33 pm

It depends. People always thought Madonna was trash and wouldn't last 6 months, look how far she got. I believe Gaga will be remembered as the most iconic artist from 2000's.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Crap, just like it is today.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby heppolo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:36 pm

DnBLover wrote:50 years is a hell too many years. I'm a bit like stevvy... We probably won't all be dead but it probably won't be as it is today.
We're just so used to living in a very stable environment, but it may be well short-lived.

Possibly no one will be even thinking of music from this time.
People will be trying to get some fire from stones again.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby aaliyahman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:52 pm

biscuits wrote:Crap, just like it is today.
Yess!!

Desperate and generic.

I literally like about 3 songs and buy 1 album a year.

This is from someone who used to buy 20 times as much.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:18 pm

biscuits wrote:Crap, just like it is today.
I hope so, the quality in pop is deteriorating rapidly, I hope we will reach the lowest point soon and the only way will be up again.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Crackiswack » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:24 pm

There'll be new approaches and trends by then that will ofc be used to death which will make us look back and say "Oh remember those days" Also we gotta remember that even though we may not like the music we would still associate it with a time period where we were more younger fruitful, and life was joyful
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Jonathan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:40 pm

Legends: Beyoncé, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Eminem, Kanye
Jonathan
Superstar

Postby RLAAMJR » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 am

For me, celine, mariah, madonna and whitney will be the remaining women to be recognized as legends still.

For the newer generation, rihanna will be considered a legend because in best selling music artists, she's already second to madonna (i know its unfair how units sold are counted these days but it is what it is now) and might prolly outsold madonna too. And i just want to point out that i consider rihanna a legend and not taylor who is next to her in terms of units sold is because there's a huge gap between the sales so Rihanna is like the new Madonna. Also, her records are usually second to Madonna. And she has 14 #1 singles in the us billboard hot 100.

Second is Justin Bieber. I see a good future for this young singer, already breaking records at a very young age. He might be mentioned along with michael jackson name as child prodigies. He is like a combination of mj and prince becaise like mj, justin is the top male artist of today and like prince, justin can write and play several instrumentst. And because he's already big and still very young, longevity is pretty much locked in. Because of his age, having one failed album is not gonna destroy his music career. People are usually focusing more on the mistakes/cpntroversies that he wnet through that they ignore that the guy can sing, can write songs, can play instruments and has been very successful since the start of his music career. Justin just needs to sell more units so his legendary status will not be questioned and i know he can. But if im wrong, then i myslef will question his legendary status in the future.

Beyonce is not going to be a legend, at least in my standards. Eventhough units wise she is being edged out by taylor, katy and lady gaga, beyonce songs are more likely to be played and sung in the future especially in singing contests, and she has been recognized to be a great performer, being the third female to have the best selling tour , bigger networth and most of all, has won a lot of grammys.

Beyonce does not deserve to be called a legend one day because after 50 years, eventhough she can dance, her big voice will be compared to the voice trinity which she doesnt stand a chance, her units sold will be compared which a lot fo female artists have outsold her, her networth may be bigger than her batch and the newer batch of music artists, but still small compared to the big 4 (i dont know whitney's networth but i think its comparable to either celines or mariahs). Her best selling tour is only third so most people even do not pay attention mich on who is second on things, how much more for just being third, and she may jave won a lot of grammys but we have multiple award giving bodies. But at least grammy awards is one of the most popular/known award giving bodies so some people might consider checking who has won more grammys. But again, with regards to top 1 singles, top 10 hits, top 20 hits, Rihanna has more than Beyonce. I, not sure though when it comes to comparing taylor swift, lady gaga and katy perry.

And again units sold, aside from the big 4, taylor, lady gaga, katy perry, barbra streisand and even janet and britney have sold more than beyonce. So not a chance.

For Taylor Swift, i think she will be considered a legend because her music and image is different from the others. But for now, she has to outsell the voice trinity so i can call her a legend. Can she?

Britney, katy and lady gaga are kinda in the footsteps of Madonna and they cannot surpass Madonna, not even Rihanna. That's why Rihanna gets the recognition.

As for Janet, huge thanks for being a michael jackson sibling because it also helped her popularity. like people remember her because she is the younger sister of mj. And as i said on another thread, we only have big 4 and not big 5 because the big 4 have something thay edges out the other.

I really cannot consider Janet as one of the big 5 especially that unit sales are just too low. A lot, like a lot of female singers have outsold her. And releasing music during those times should of help her sell a lot. But she was only in the music scene, not really breaking records. Barbra may have multiple outstanding achievements but it was heard well in the usa. Other parts of the world, she's not really known eventhough she sold a lot more than Janet is more known in the world than Barbra, especially that Janet is MJs sister.

For Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars, yes they're pretty doing well. Ed may be doing well in album sales but he hasnt really proved to be a consistent huge album seller. So lets wait for the current and his next album if he can maintain a good album sales numbers, because Adele has already proven herself. Bruno may have sold more than 100 million units in just 3 or albums but his age could give us a hint that his popularity might not stay very long .

For Adele, being the biggest album seller by a huge difference against other artists, will sadly not matter anymore because after 50 years, people will usually just see who are the best-selling artists of all time and people will see celine, mariah, madonna, whitney and rihanna first before her name.

But she can still become one for as long as she stays consistent with sales especially album sales , for her next 4 albums. I however don think she can especially that she releases albums like every 3-4 years. At her peak, Adele should be releasing albums like every after 1 1/2 years and release a xmas album. It's the best time for her to take advantage of her popularity now or else, she wont outsell the voice trinity. So if she eill not be able to, what will make her special then, especially that the voice trinity have bigger voices.
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby LilyoftheValley » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 am

SholasBoy wrote:I wonder how people will view songs from 50 years ago, in 50 years! Will the songs we think of as classics from the 50s-70s, still be thought of so highly, when nobody who was around at the time is still alive.
I imagine yes, if there is still a canon and the job of music historian still exists. Same for the revered albums and singles of more recent years.

Wars will never cease
Is there time enough for peace?
The lily of the valley doesn't know
LilyoftheValley
Groupie

Postby bluecherry » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:33 am

since when did net worth have anything to do with being legendary? plenty of legends went bankrupt or were not very wealthy? no ones gonna rank singers based on net worth lmfao. Bey's net worth currently is $500 million and she's only 35 so if that was an argument she would be up there with stuff like her music, Ivy Park and touring.
Again, legendary status isn't about sales. Look at Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Stevie Nicks, Sade Adu. All of them are considered hugely influential (just look at the legacy part of their wikipedia). Beyonce is a music icon and will likely be a legend. There's nothing stopping her.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby RLAAMJR » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 pm

bluecherry wrote:since when did net worth have anything to do with being legendary? plenty of legends went bankrupt or were not very wealthy? no ones gonna rank singers based on net worth lmfao. Bey's net worth currently is $500 million and she's only 35 so if that was an argument she would be up there with stuff like her music, Ivy Park and touring.
Again, legendary status isn't about sales. Look at Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Stevie Nicks, Sade Adu. All of them are considered hugely influential (just look at the legacy part of their wikipedia). Beyonce is a music icon and will likely be a legend. There's nothing stopping her.
Influential and iconic are fine with me, but not legendary.
RLAAMJR
Manager

Return to Mad About Music