The 59th Annual Grammy Awards (2017)

Moderators: biscuits, tdc2000

Postby Rolling » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Rocksteady09 wrote:
Loveguru wrote:
Rocksteady09 wrote:
biscuits wrote:You haven't criticised other artists before?
This isn't about Hugo. This is about Carlos Santana's misogynistic, disrespectful comment.
His comment was abit off you have to admit it though
His comments were fine. He simply responded accordingly.
His comments are not fine at all!
Rolling
Legend

Postby Rocksteady09 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:49 pm

biscuits wrote:Which black artists are releasing albums over the next year and could likely be nominated? It would be funny if they AOTY 2018
I don't see it happening. Especially if they don't have major commercial Success. Considering how traditional the grammys are, i'm sure they will go with something safe. Also depends on what criteria, the Grammys decides to flip flop with. Commercial sucess or critical acclaim.
Rocksteady09
Manager

Postby Rocksteady09 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Well that's your opinion. Don't make snarky comments and expect not to be checked. Hugo's comments were justified.
Rocksteady09
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:39 pm

RLAAMJR wrote:Sales-wise, 25 is the clear winner, Purpose is 2Nd, Views us 3rd.
Views in the US has sold a whole WHOPPING 40,000 more copies than Lemonade. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Lemonade is arguably the bigger success there because Drake only sold 40k more than Bey with all this airplay yet she could do it with minimal airplay and mostly word of mouth. Plus, the Lemonade cd/download has always been sold at a premium price, it's never had some gimmicky $5.99 week sale like Drake and many other albums have. People who bought it spent $15-20 each time.

And again, the Grammys are supposed to be quality over sales. Or Marvel movies and the sort would win Best Picture every year at the Oscars.
Last edited by NothingFails on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 pm

biscuits wrote:Referring to Santana as an 'old white bastard' is definitely not fine
That part does make me chuckle tho... being one of the most famous and pioneering Mexican musicians of all time being mistaken for white :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby RLAAMJR » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Santana's comment was not good but I understand what he meant. It's just the way he said it that made it wrong.
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby Hugo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:52 pm

NothingFails wrote:
biscuits wrote:Referring to Santana as an 'old white bastard' is definitely not fine
That part does make me chuckle tho... being one of the most famous and pioneering Mexican musicians of all time being mistaken for white :lol:
I'm not American, if he came to my country he would be considered caucasian lol no doubt about that, then again we don't really categorize people like the folks in the new world.
Last edited by Hugo on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When life gives you Beyoncé, make LEMONADE." Jesus (Matthew 9; 4)
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby RLAAMJR » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:52 pm

dhenapie wrote:Is Bruno considered a "black" artist, though? I mean he's like half Hawaiian and half Filipino.
I feel black this month. Happy Black History Month everyone. :)
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Hugo wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
I'm not American, if he came to my country he would be considered caucasian lol no doubt about that, then again we don't really categorize people like the folks in the new world.
Please no more racist comments in the future.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby bluecherry » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:53 pm

RLAAMJR wrote:
dhenapie wrote:Is Bruno considered a "black" artist, though? I mean he's like half Hawaiian and half Filipino.
sis........
bluecherry
Manager

Postby frrr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:33 pm

bluecherry wrote:
RLAAMJR wrote:
sis........
No he is not African american.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby RLAAMJR » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm

The Filipinos are called the brown race by the way.
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby AlphaMale » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Oh my...
Surely whoever speaks to me in the right voice
Him or her I shall follow
AlphaMale
Legend

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:27 pm

biscuits wrote:Which black artists are releasing albums over the next year and could likely be nominated? It would be funny if they AOTY 2018
A Tribe Called Quest (widespread critical acclaim and anti-Trump, unlikely)
J. Cole
Bruno Mars (safe)
The Weeknd (safe)
Jonathan
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Jonathan wrote:
A Tribe Called Quest (widespread critical acclaim and anti-Trump, unlikely)
J. Cole
Bruno Mars (safe)
The Weeknd (safe)
Why funny? It's long overdue, as long as the album is a great one.
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Watch in 15-20 years, Beyonce will come out with her own MDNA (BNCE) and suddenly that album that is considered her worst and even fans are having a hard time rallying behind will be the one that sweeps the awards. I mean, U2 swept behind one of their all time worst albums (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb) and few will rank "Morning Phase" with Beck's best albums, so why not?
NothingFails
Legend

Postby frrr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:43 pm

RLAAMJR wrote:The Filipinos are called the brown race by the way.
That is quite racist and Xenophobia unless you are talking about the snack food, but we both know that you aren't 8-)
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Well he is from the Philippines so he probably knows a bit more about that nation than the rest of us
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Hugo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:42 pm

NothingFails wrote:Watch in 15-20 years, Beyonce will come out with her own MDNA (BNCE) and suddenly that album that is considered her worst and even fans are having a hard time rallying behind will be the one that sweeps the awards. I mean, U2 swept behind one of their all time worst albums (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb) and few will rank "Morning Phase" with Beck's best albums, so why not?
BNCE :lol:
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Storyteller » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 pm

NothingFails wrote:Watch in 15-20 years, Beyonce will come out with her own MDNA (BNCE) and suddenly that album that is considered her worst and even fans are having a hard time rallying behind will be the one that sweeps the awards. I mean, U2 swept behind one of their all time worst albums (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb) and few will rank "Morning Phase" with Beck's best albums, so why not?
But Madonna doesn't even get nominations anymore! So will she ever get her "sorry we never gave you album of the year before, even though you probably deserved it somewhere along the way Grammy". Or is it different cause she's a woman? :(
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby Wayne » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 pm

I love that U2 album!
I am a recovering
Anxiety addict
A broken perfectionist
Somewhat erratic

Recovering - Céline Dion.
Wayne
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Wayne wrote:
I love that U2 album!
I love Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and two or three others, but I do think of their entire discography, it's pretty much them at their most predictable and forgettable. It was a "token" award apology for Achtung Baby and other albums in the past that they lost for, kinda like Beck's award basically apologizing for Odelay.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:10 pm

I stopped playing U2 a while ago, that malware hack they can an album was the last straw lol
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Storyteller » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Wayne wrote:
I love that U2 album!
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby Phoenixx » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 pm

bluecherry wrote:
RLAAMJR wrote:
sis........
:lol:
Phoenixx
Purpose

Return to Mad About Music