What Is the Biggest Flop in Music History?

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby DOSSOME » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:59 pm

NothingFails wrote:
Bojan wrote:Michael Jackson's Invincible. Yeah, it debuted at No. 1 and it has been sold in some 5 million copies worldwide, but production was insanely expensive (over thirty million dollars) and that's why it's hard to call it a success. On contrary, having in mind that we are talking about the biggest pop star ever and the most expensive album ever, it was a massive flop. Probably the biggest flop in HIStory.
The biggest problem with Invincible is that MJ was spending ridiculous money in the studio. I think if the album hadn't cost $30 million to make, it would've looked more successful.

The random thing with Invincible is that I don't hear where the money went... Dangerous and HIStory both felt grandiose, they felt larger than life, they felt like Michael went all out for those albums, Invincible felt like his most no-frills album since Off The Wall, yet it cost $30 million to produce? Where did the money go exactly?
$30m :o :o
Like what exactly did they spend that kind of money on???
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby stevyy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:45 pm

DOSSOME wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
Bojan wrote:Michael Jackson's Invincible. Yeah, it debuted at No. 1 and it has been sold in some 5 million copies worldwide, but production was insanely expensive (over thirty million dollars) and that's why it's hard to call it a success. On contrary, having in mind that we are talking about the biggest pop star ever and the most expensive album ever, it was a massive flop. Probably the biggest flop in HIStory.
The biggest problem with Invincible is that MJ was spending ridiculous money in the studio. I think if the album hadn't cost $30 million to make, it would've looked more successful.

The random thing with Invincible is that I don't hear where the money went... Dangerous and HIStory both felt grandiose, they felt larger than life, they felt like Michael went all out for those albums, Invincible felt like his most no-frills album since Off The Wall, yet it cost $30 million to produce? Where did the money go exactly?
$30m :o :o
Like what exactly did they spend that kind of money on???
studio time and guest artists / producers?

btw Invincible has sold more than 5 million copies and has outgrossed its production costs manyfold. It is the promotion which again dragged revenue down. But I think, SONY did not lose any money in the end.

Cry - altho written by R. Kelly - remains one of my alltime fave MJ songs.
stevyy
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm

^30M $ was just part of the expenditure
marketing was also a bit waste of money
5 million sales means it only managed to be just above the break even point
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 pm

There are two massive bombs this year from two notable divas.

Younger Now - Miley Cyrus: Young diva, new generation icon, "cool among the kids" ... What happened? No one knows ... But just a few years ago Miley was at the peak of her relevance with "Bangerz" getting a huge #1 hit, stellar streaming numbers, one of the biggest openings of the year, and scanning a Platinum certification in pure sales from a Grammy nominated album. . . But Miley's much awaited follow-up didn't seem to be much awaited in the end, opening with 40K SPS units, leaving the charts with just 50K pure sales and not even reaching 100K WW in pure sales, Miley has pulled an unexpected major bomb that has done at least 4x / 5x times lower / worse in numbers than already notable flops such as "Lotus", "Glory" or Gwen's last album . . . . Don't expect "Younger now" to rebound, its pretty much done and the failure was so extreme that Miley just confirmed a couple of weeks ago that there won't more singles from the album and that she won't tour with it.

From 2million pure sales with "Bangerz" to less than 90K pure sales with "Younger now".

Double Dutchess - Fergie: No one was expecting big numbers for Fergie but no one was certainly expecting a Spirit Indestructible sized scenario, Fergie's last studio album turned into a tragedy when it barely opened with 15K pure sales and fell out of the chart on its second week. Don't expect the album to reach the 40K mark in pure sales ww ever. While the fact that Fergie had not released a studio album since 2006 played a part in her low numbers it still comes as a surprise such low figures as her main peer Gwen Stefani who was in the exact same situation released an album that sold over 300K ww last year and which was deemed as a flop, but Fergie pushed the flop to its limits as she pulled nearly 10x times lower numbers than Gwen's much criticized last effort .... To make it worse Fergie had a wide budget and shot a music video for every song on the album in hopes to pull her Beyonce but she ended up getting a Nelly Furtado sized mess instead ...
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 am

Willow Smith - 21st century girl :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Controlfreak » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 am

Nelly's The Ride
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby JJeffs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 am

aaliyahman wrote:She went from selling a million in a week in the US alone.

I'm not looking at the artists who would 'love these sales'.
It's the height of her sales compared to now also the relatively short amount of time it's taken.

Nelly Furtado started out pretty obscure, her blow up now seems a Timbaland created flash in the pan.
In Gaga's defense, Born This Way was being given away for 99 cents following (what turned out to be) her commercial peak. So I can't really compare anything to that kind of incentive. Aside from that, I feel like Artpop's overall sales decline set her up for an even smaller number for Joanne. I also think Joanne was a labor of love for her that wasn't going anywhere commercially from the start. Not in today's climate. I don't think expectations were high enough for it to be a huge flop. That's just my take on it.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby BlueScorpion » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:23 am

Mel B's solo album L.A State of Mind. We don't really expect anything from her but she's sold like 350 copies and debuted at #453 or something. Like some of us have more Facebook friends than that that we could ask to buy the album so that one really is a flop lmao
Hot like the real fever (the real Diva)
So successful yet still so eager
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 am

Miley released Dead Petz between Bangerz and Younger Now. It destroyed her commercially IMO.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Carbon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 am

Gravity wrote:Miley released Dead Petz between Bangerz and Younger Now. It destroyed her commercially IMO.
true, her image really suffered. but I think she overall stopped caring about sales because she's pretty much rich for the rest of her life thanks to Hannah Montana. that's why she made Dead Petz a free download and stopped trying to make Younger Now happen
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Gravity wrote:Miley released Dead Petz between Bangerz and Younger Now. It destroyed her commercially IMO.
I don't think that album had much power, basically no one knew she even released, you literally needed to be following her in order to find out about the "Dead Petz" era, it had no impact on the general public, it didn't exist for most people. "Younger now" was pretty much the first thing most people from the general public heard from Miley since "Bangerz". :wink:
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby manowar555 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:04 pm

The Prodigy The Fat of the Land 1997 Sold 10 million copies worldwide

The Prodigy Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned 2004 Didnt crack 1 million
manowar555
Roadie

Postby QueenMadonna » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Mariah's Glitter and Guns n roses' Chinese Democracy
QueenMadonna
Roadie

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:06 pm

It might be the K-Fed album
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Robin Thicke’s album about that woman.

Debuted at like 590 in Australia having sold 10 copies.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Hugo wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Nelly's Spirit Indestructable and Robin Thicke's Paula are two of the worst. Paula sold something like 57 copies in Australia if memory serves correctly :lol: :lol: :lol:
From wiki

The album debuted at number 9 on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 24,000 copies in its first week of release. The album sold only 530 copies in the United Kingdom, 550 in Canada, and 158 in Australia in its debut week.

Well, he could fill an arena :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:32 am

^wth that’s terrible
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby spiritboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:57 am

How can one go from Blurred Lines to 530 copies sold? :o :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 am

You have to remember though that "Blurred Lines" caused a lot of controversy, first with its misogynistic lyrics and then due to its copyright infringement case. Not to mention that Robin himself came across throughout that era has pretty unlikable.

He also was never a big star anyway. "When I Get You Alone" and that other ballad in 2007 who's title I forget, were R&B hits. I kinda think Robin thought when BL smashed that he'd finally broken through the mainstream but it turns out people just wanted that song and not him.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12 pm

spiritboy wrote:How can one go from Blurred Lines to 530 copies sold? :o :lol:
That happens when you are just a fluke artist who scored a lucky hit but no one actually cares about you.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby biscuits » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Muzikritik wrote:You have to remember though that "Blurred Lines" caused a lot of controversy, first with its misogynistic lyrics and then due to its copyright infringement case. Not to mention that Robin himself came across throughout that era has pretty unlikable.

He also was never a big star anyway. "When I Get You Alone" and that other ballad in 2007 who's title I forget, were R&B hits. I kinda think Robin thought when BL smashed that he'd finally broken through the mainstream but it turns out people just wanted that song and not him.
Lost Without You?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JJeffs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm of the opinion that a "flop" is more about return on investment than comparing one project to another on the charts or even in terms of sales. Big hits are few and far between for any artist, and not all projects are expensive and/or set up to be mining for gold.

The MJ Invincible example mentioned above is a decent example of a "flop" based on return on investment. It was set up to be huge, but it wasn't. It wasn't a flop because it paled in comparison to Thriller, it was a flop on its own individual terms - based on what went into making and promoting it.

Had Robin Thicke went back into the studio spending millions and millions on crafting a big commercial follow-up to Blurred Lines, then I'd consider Paula a flop. Paula, imo, had all the makings of a personal artistic pet project - not large scale mainstream output with lofty expectations for him or the label. It was a disappointment, I'm sure, given how incredibly low sales were, but I doubt much money was spent making or promoting it. This is when it's a slippery slop comparing one project to another based on charts and sales, especially when an artist hits the goldmine with a song that is met with such huge success.

I liken this to movies. If a movie is made for $10m and makes $30m, it's not a flop. But if a movie is made for $50m and only makes $30m, then it is a flop. $30m total box office may not be much compared to many other movies, but it's all about investment and returns. Each situation is different.

None of this is to say that certain numbers/results can't be disappointing based on expectations, but to me, a "flop" is more of a financial term with specific qualifiers.
Last edited by JJeffs on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:19 pm

spiritboy wrote:How can one go from Blurred Lines to 530 copies sold? :o :lol:
I put all of the blame on Miley's twerking
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Def Nelly F's last album.
be kind to every kind
Serby