Are music videos a dying medium?

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits

Postby abi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:40 am

biscuits wrote:Not in Korea! K-Pop videos are awesomeness
This is why I want CL to succeed in the US to open more opportunities for US acts to work with K-Pop video directors (even though she seems to prefer to adapt herself into American scene instead of bringing K-Pop to America). I know a bunch of US acts that have great directions, concepts with their videos (especially Chris Brown) but the execution is just not it, looks very low-budget.
abi
Legend

Postby Guru » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:59 am

Videos are still very much essential to the success of a song but maybe not as much as say 20 years ago. It's still relevant though. Few artists can chart high without a video like Drake. But most artists still need the backup of a video (visuals) to push the song on the charts. I do however miss the days when a video premiere meant bringing the popcorn and getting friends together to watch the premiere :lol:

This is what I admired about Beyonces Lemonade film. As it was premiering in TV in the states, so many people were glued to their screens like the good 'ol days :P
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby RLAAMJR » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:14 am

Also love The Weeknds' "False Alarm" music video. So awesome! :)
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Feels like Calvin Harris has a different answer to this question.
(I don't know if there will be any significant return on this investment though)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Kpop » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:15 am

biscuits wrote:Not in Korea! K-Pop videos are awesomeness
Indeed they are

Kpop
Groupie

Postby Phoenixx » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 am

toxicALIENS wrote:To me, music videos seem to be dying out

If you look at some of the biggest hits of the year e.g. One Dance and Closer they seem not to even have a proper video or in the case of One Dance there is no video at all

Having a music video seems to quickly be becoming an optional feature rather than a necessary thing

So, do you think music videos are dying, or is it just a few anamolies?

Examples of hits with no video:
One Dance
Too Good
Controlla

Examples of hits with lyric/dance videos:
Cheap Thrills
Cold Water
Let Me Love You
Sorry
Love Yourself
Closer
Birthday (Katy Perry :) )
Well Drake isn't known for releasing music Videos for every Song he's releasing. One Dance got a music Video - But only available on Apple!
LMLY and Closer got music Videos later
Sorry, Love Yourfself and Cold Water does dance videos have. Idk why they do that. I mean - JB sure have the time to do any. He and his team probably made with the Sorry Video around 2 Million Dollars - On YouTube only - Maybe would be more with himself on the Video!

I know 2016 seems to be like it was a rare year for music videos. But I'm watching music and chart Videos since almost 8 years. And there hasn't been released more or less Music Videos in the previous years! Just more high-charted Songs like those you written down didn't got Videos - who knows why.

So I definitely guess that MVs aren't dying mediums.
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:38 am

Dua Lipa proved that they are not (yet)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:49 am

heppolo wrote:Dua Lipa proved that they are not (yet)
When I saw the thread popping up again, I wanted to come in and say the exact thing.

Dua Lipa really has had a huge impact on popular culture with this track and video. The video made the song even more successful.

Taylor's "Look What You Made Me Do" and Selena's "Bad Liar" have also been talked about a lot and are amazig music videos.
Also the first two singles taken from Katy's "Witness" are amazing as well.
I think 2017 was a way bettee year for music videos than 2016 (when it comes to pop music).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JimJim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:19 am

I would completely disagree that they are a dying medium, the general public LOVE a good video. A great video is an easy ticket to going viral = success.

The above songs mentioned are great examples of this. The fact that some songs have managed to be big hits without proper hits (e.g. Drake's 'One Dance' or The Chainsmokers x Coldplay 'Something Just Like This') says more about the appeal of those songs and artists, more than it says about music videos.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby jpguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 am

It depends. American music scene specifically seems to slowly just not care for them and only the viral ones get attention but in Europe I would assume the public still cares for music videos.

In Kpop, videos are literally the industry standard for success. Videos have high budgets when compared to the amount of copies / downloads these artists sell (of course not EXO or BTS but a regular Kpop act from even small companies), the visual aspect of Kpop videos has carried an industry entirely and it's growing day by day.
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Jesper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:53 am

I think nothing is dying, but the industry itself is still switching and turning to make all new things co-excist and work together. The lyric video was just an other adaption of the 'music videos', just like these vertical videos on Spotify are now.

The past years we also seen that challenges online can boost songs and I think labels, artists etc. are just still figuring out how to deal with that. Sadly enough commercial music is basically fast-food, so investing in things to add to streams in whatever way is one of the first priorities.

But on the other side we see people like Beyonce and Fergie releasing visual albums, and people like Selena, Taylor, Dua Lipa still also investing in what is seen as 'the traditional' music video.

I think it also depends on the artist and the craft. Sia has made some enjoyable videos like Chandelier and the Greatest which the latter also has an important meaning to it. But not every song needs a video, and I am not talking about the commercial success, but did we really need a proper video for Cheap Thrills? we got that performance edit eventually, but I never really watched it more than once, since I actually thought the lyric video was fine enough.

I love the more traditional side of what we see as music video. But what is currently happening is part in the shift of things happening in the commercial music industry.
Jesper
Legend

Return to General Music Discussion