The 60th Annual Grammy Awards (2018)

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

 

Were you happy with the winners?

Yes.
11
29%
No.
27
71%
 
Total votes : 38

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:57 am

abi wrote:Yeah I get it but now that I look get at her chart history, Alessia Cara literally had a #5 hit on Billboard Hot 100 in the month of February 2016 and the album reached the top 10 as well so she technically broke through in 2016 and now I'm confused. :lol:
Chainsmokers were nominated last year even though #Selfie was a US top 20 hit in early 2014. There is no rhyme and reason.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44279
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:31 am

Maybe the voting system isn't the best thing. Clearly, awesome albums are nominated, could it be they all split votes and then the underdog gets it?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 39406
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:48 am

So what's their excuse to snub quality work? :lol:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 39406
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby urbanmusik » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:15 pm

SZA losing all her noms is like Jazmine Sullivan all over again :roll: .

Kendrick and Beyoncé could get 100 on metacritic, release a landmark single, have massive cultural impact and a sellout stadium tour and the Grammys would decide it’s time to reward Mumford & Sons.

Also the head of the Grammys is a sexist old white pig for telling women they need to step up and I’m glad Lorde declined that tribute mess.
User avatar
urbanmusik
The College Dropout
 
Posts: 20685
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006
Location: Belfast

Postby Debs_Wild » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 pm

urbanmusik wrote:Also the head of the Grammys is a sexist old white pig
You couldn't be more racist & ageist even if you tried.

What do his age & color have anything to do with it? Anyone else posting the same but replacing the word white with black would have been banned.
Debs_Wild
Manager
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006

Postby solitaire » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Debs_Wild wrote:
urbanmusik wrote:Also the head of the Grammys is a sexist old white pig
You couldn't be more racist & ageist even if you tried.

What do his age & color have anything to do with it? Anyone else posting the same but replacing the word white with black would have been banned.
Agree with race having nothing to do with it. I can see why age is relevant tho.
One life with one dream on repeat
User avatar
solitaire
Manager
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Debs_Wild wrote:You couldn't be more racist & ageist even if you tried.

What do his age & color have anything to do with it? Anyone else posting the same but replacing the word white with black would have been banned.
Racist, seriously? The fact that you think there could even be a scenario where replacing those words makes sense is pretty stupid. All industries, including the music industry, are run by old, white men. Sure, not all of them are pigs. This one happens to be a pig. A smelly, ignorant, ugly, white pig.

Last night at the Grammys, only one woman accepted an award onstage during the three-plus-hour live broadcast: Best New Artist winner Alessia Cara. Total, 11 awards out of 84 went to women. In the last six years, as The New York Times pointed out on Thursday, 899 people have been nominated for the awards, and 9 percent of them were women.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/29/1694 ... le-defense
If you can't figure out there's a problem...
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 39406
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm

^The only problem is that male artists dominate 2016/2017, Katy Perry release, Lorde release and so on...they didn't manage to enjoy the previous success. Henceforth, they need to step up...so you deserve an award because you are a woman? F*** off
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 pm

frrr wrote:^The only problem is that male artists dominate 2016/2017, Katy Perry release, Lorde release and so on...they didn't manage to enjoy the previous success. Henceforth, they need to step up...so you deserve an award because you are a woman? F*** off
I've seen male acts and bands receive the top awards for albums and songs that have sold peanuts.

And you're stupid enough to tell me women like Lorde, who has released one of the most acclaimed albums of the year, a #1 album at that, have to step up?

F/ck off!!
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 39406
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Hugo wrote:
frrr wrote:^The only problem is that male artists dominate 2016/2017, Katy Perry release, Lorde release and so on...they didn't manage to enjoy the previous success. Henceforth, they need to step up...so you deserve an award because you are a woman? F*** off
I've seen male acts and bands receive the top awards for albums and songs that have sold peanuts.

And you're stupid enough to tell me women like Lorde, who has released one of the most acclaimed albums of the year, a #1 album at that, have to step up?

F/ck off!!
Lorde's album sold said "peanuts"...so I guess because the album didn't connect with people like the last one did.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Then why nominate it if she's so unworthy? Is this a popularity contest like the Billboard Awards? I thought they judged based on artistic merit and value and I find it hard to believe women (and let's not even mention women of color) are so much worse at it than their male counterparts that they only deserve a tenth of the awards. Considering the Grammy Awards only recognize(d) two genders, you can't tell me that statistic isn't absolutely terrible.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 39406
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Melodrama was a far better album than Pure Heroine... she just pretty much told the pop world to go eff itself this time around. The production is far more tolerable this time around (South Park even did an episode making fun of her in 2014 with how artificial her production sounded) and the lyrics are even better. Attacking Lorde for not moving Taylor numbers is like crapping on St. Vincent or Tune-Yards for not having #1 records at this point, I don't think they're aiming for it.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44279
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Plus I think the truth is that after 30 years of divas divas divas, it was time for the bubble to burst and have men take over for awhile... doesn't mean women aren't still making great music (as Lorde, St. Vincent, Gaga, Lana, Kesha, Aimee Mann, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Kelela to name a few all made great records of late) but after so many years where the George Michael or Usher or MJ or Prince or Justin was the exception to the norm, it was only a matter of time that guys were able to slay again, I'm sure the women will come back, but women have essentially dominated pop since the mid 1980s when Madonna and Whitney burst on the scene and raised the level of how successful a female pop star could be... we're talking a 30+ year reign. You really have to go all the way back to the days of Thriller, Born In The USA and Purple Rain to get back to a time where men dominated the pop charts over women.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44279
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:11 pm

1) To begin with, I never said she was unworthy, just said she needs to step up her game to match the "Pure Heroine" era.
2) In the end, it is, you are only fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Sales and critical acclaim matter, but not only the latter as people need to know the artist or at least the most artists.
3) I'm not here to talk about statistics because it doesn't matter if there is one male against 4 females or the other way around. In the end, it matters the quality, sales, and GP.

2016/2017 were not a year that women dominated, plain and simple. Now "have an award because you were born with a certain gender?" No, a million times no...
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Hugo wrote:Maybe the voting system isn't the best thing. Clearly, awesome albums are nominated, could it be they all split votes and then the underdog gets it?
Yes, I think that's what happened on AOTY.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 pm

frrr wrote:1) To begin with, I never said she was unworthy, just said she needs to step up her game to match the "Pure Heroine" era.
And she has. Melodrama artistically is a far superior effort that made it high on many year end lists. It just wasn't as accessible to 13 year olds who think Cardi B is the next Dylan. The critical acclaim is far higher this time around, which lasts longer than fickle pop success that means nothing six months later.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44279
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 pm

NothingFails wrote:
frrr wrote:1) To begin with, I never said she was unworthy, just said she needs to step up her game to match the "Pure Heroine" era.
And she has. Melodrama artistically is a far superior effort that made it high on many year end lists. It just wasn't as accessible to 13 year olds who think Cardi B is the next Dylan. The critical acclaim is far higher this time around, which lasts longer than fickle pop success that means nothing six months later.
"the next Dylan" :lol:. Most people don't care about critical acclaim and of course, almost every pop album six months later is going to mean nothing.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm

frrr wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
frrr wrote:1) To begin with, I never said she was unworthy, just said she needs to step up her game to match the "Pure Heroine" era.
And she has. Melodrama artistically is a far superior effort that made it high on many year end lists. It just wasn't as accessible to 13 year olds who think Cardi B is the next Dylan. The critical acclaim is far higher this time around, which lasts longer than fickle pop success that means nothing six months later.
"the next Dylan" :lol:. Most people don't care about critical acclaim and of course, almost every pop album six months later is going to mean nothing.
But critical acclaim can prolong careers more than immediate success. It's like when you look at the albums from 2007 that got "anniversary editions" last year, it was random groups like Spoon and Interpol who got them, bands who are critically acclaimed and have a loyal following in the indie/rock world but mean absolutely nothing to the average top 40 listener and certainly weren't on any top 40 station played next to Sean Kingston and T-Pain at the time. Or hell, you can look at how much more esteem Radiohead's OK Computer has 20 years on compared to Backstreet Boys or Spice Girls' albums that sold far more units at the time, OK Computer got the deluxe 20th anniversary edition and now stands up with albums like Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds on all time lists. Lorde may be forfeiting her chart success but I think she's changing it out for a career that could have decades ahead of it because she's not trying to compete with what's hot but instead is trying to make what she thinks is good, and I'm sure in 5-10 years people will still come back to this record when some of the bigger stuff has been long disposed of just like the way people still come back to those Radiohead albums that sold a fraction of NSYNC.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44279
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby MrLeonix » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:11 pm

Lorde deserved no sh*t.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 19452
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby clh_hilary » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm

I might've preferred Song of the Year to go to 1-800 and Record of the Year to "Despacito", and I didn't quite like his current album, but it's funny how people are suggesting that Bruno Mars's win was another instance of racism.

Is racism only possible against black people?

The last time I checked, he's the only second Asian winner, the third Latino winner, and he's in fact also part-Jewish.

But yeah, sure, black acts, who are in fact overrepresented among AOTY winners, are oppressed by this Hawaiian man.

And safe? Sure he's safe, but what risks have Jay-Z taken these days other than cheating on his beloved wife?
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
User avatar
clh_hilary
Manager
 
Posts: 4763
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009
Location: México

Postby Debs_Wild » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:30 pm

clh_hilary wrote:And safe? Sure he's safe, but what risks have Jay-Z taken these days other than cheating on his beloved wife?
Ouch! :lol:
Debs_Wild
Manager
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm

I heard some of 4:44 at a vinyl shop a few months ago and honestly didn't think it was among Jay's better work. Never been really a fan of his but I could hear why people gloated over The Black Album or The Blueprint so much, I don't remember much except the one song that had blatant anti-Semitic lyrics.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44279
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Debs_Wild wrote:
clh_hilary wrote:And safe? Sure he's safe, but what risks have Jay-Z taken these days other than cheating on his beloved wife?
Ouch! :lol:
:lol:

MrLeonix wrote:Lorde deserved no sh*t.
Agreed
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby jpguy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Lorde served it but anyways... the Grammys were boring this year
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
User avatar
jpguy
Legend
 
Posts: 24423
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007
Location: Xtina's Closet.

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm

NothingFails wrote:
frrr wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
frrr wrote:1) To begin with, I never said she was unworthy, just said she needs to step up her game to match the "Pure Heroine" era.
And she has. Melodrama artistically is a far superior effort that made it high on many year end lists. It just wasn't as accessible to 13 year olds who think Cardi B is the next Dylan. The critical acclaim is far higher this time around, which lasts longer than fickle pop success that means nothing six months later.
"the next Dylan" :lol:. Most people don't care about critical acclaim and of course, almost every pop album six months later is going to mean nothing.
But critical acclaim can prolong careers more than immediate success. It's like when you look at the albums from 2007 that got "anniversary editions" last year, it was random groups like Spoon and Interpol who got them, bands who are critically acclaimed and have a loyal following in the indie/rock world but mean absolutely nothing to the average top 40 listener and certainly weren't on any top 40 station played next to Sean Kingston and T-Pain at the time. Or hell, you can look at how much more esteem Radiohead's OK Computer has 20 years on compared to Backstreet Boys or Spice Girls' albums that sold far more units at the time, OK Computer got the deluxe 20th anniversary edition and now stands up with albums like Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds on all time lists. Lorde may be forfeiting her chart success but I think she's changing it out for a career that could have decades ahead of it because she's not trying to compete with what's hot but instead is trying to make what she thinks is good, and I'm sure in 5-10 years people will still come back to this record when some of the bigger stuff has been long disposed of just like the way people still come back to those Radiohead albums that sold a fraction of NSYNC.
Ok, let's get something straight here. Lorde is no Radiohead, or Beach Boys or something like that. As a matter of fact, you have very popular albums from the beach boys, MJ and so on that were commercially successful back then and had rave reviews and got those editions, special editions are done when an album is very successful, even for rock bands that don't go into the Top 40. That's the difference right there where is the hardcore fanbase? Rock/Indie/Metal bands will always have one hardcore fanbase they can put out the worst album ever and still sell. People won't come back in 5-10 years for Melodrama
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Return to General Music Discussion