Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Were you happy with the winners?

Yes.
29%
No.
71%

Total votes : 38

Postby stevyy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:16 pm

I cannot believe Pure Comedy didn't win anything.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Bruno deserved the recognition he received, but I don’t think he should have sweeped. AOTY and the R&B categories would have been enough.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm

That Grammy executive is pissing me off for the second year in a row.
Women needs to step up.
Oh no, hell no. They BEEN stepping up and raising the bar for male artists to win and have an easy way to the top.
BUT what needs to be done is for that lame ass racist and sexist Grammy committee to step the **** DOWN.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby stevyy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:15 pm

KEY9481 wrote:That Grammy executive is pissing me off for the second year in a row.
Women needs to step up.
Oh no, hell no. They BEEN stepping up and raising the bar for male artists to win and have an easy way to the top.
BUT what needs to be done is for that lame ass racist and sexist Grammy committee to step the **** DOWN.
I agree... we need new ppl in there and not these 75 y.o. white male racists. And while we r cleaning house... they can take the film academy right with them on their way out.

the most terrible thing, however, would be if the Grammys adopt the fan-voting ballot... by then JB could become the most awarded person ever... sweeping like 20 awards per annual.
stevyy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 pm

stevyy wrote:I cannot believe Pure Comedy didn't win anything.
FJM is brilliant, but I think he suffers from Kanye syndrome where people are put off before hearing a single note of his music. Even in the indie/alt/folk scene where his bread and butter is, he's not universally beloved and many people hate his guts.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Mount Eerie's ''A Crow Looked At Me'' deserved at least something
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Hugo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:18 pm

I do agree that it's time to invite people from "lesser" categories to the stage, Grammys should be about discovering new talents as much as celebrating established ones.

And they had lots of awesome acts nominated: The War on Drugs, Queens of the Stone Age, The National, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem, Kehlani, Kraftwerk, Alabama Shakes, etc.

Looking at the performers list, the show also lacked out-of-the-box collaborations, something people wouldn't necessarily expect to see on stage. I only watched Kendrick's performance but judging from people's reactions the show was predictable and boring.

The commercial breaks are beyond ridiculous, it should only have like 3 pauses, they kill the mood. And the fact that people from the rest of the world don't have easy access to the show is absolutely terrible.

Can I be in charge of this mess already?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 pm

Hugo wrote:I do agree that it's time to invite people from "lesser" categories to the stage, Grammys should be about discovering new talents as much as celebrating established ones.

And they had lots of awesome acts nominated: The War on Drugs, Queens of the Stone Age, The National, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem, Kehlani, Kraftwerk, Alabama Shakes, etc.

Looking at the performers list, the show also lacked out-of-the-box collaborations, something people wouldn't necessarily expect to see on stage. I only watched Kendrick's performance but judging from people's reactions the show was predictable and boring.

The commercial breaks are beyond ridiculous, it should only have like 3 pauses, they kill the mood. And the fact that people from the rest of the world don't have easy access to the show is absolutely terrible.

Can I be in charge of this mess already?
The Grammys have been pretty biased against rock/alt artists for a few years now. I remember the way they treated Arcade Fire and Queens Of The Stone Age when they performed, yet they wouldn't show that sort of disrespect to some lame Disney queen whose median fanbase is 12. AF won AOTY and yet even then they gave them the fadeout performance that nobody cares about that year.

The irony is that they had to start televising hip hop when Dr. Dre and Will Smith both bitched publicly... it's time rock artists bitch that they're getting zero respect on these shows when even freaking Spoken Word and Comedy Album is getting televised.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 pm

How embarrasing, Grammys have turned into a joke by now with all of these complains from artists after those Grammy executives stupid statements. Ratings are going down, artists are starting to snub the ceremony, no one is happy, etc.

Grammys public image and credibility are so tarnished now. Oscars (Film), Grammys (Music), Emmys (Television), and Tonys (Stage) are the ultimate and official Top 4 major Entertainment Awards and its really sad to see that this whole circus is happening to one of them (Grammys).
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:10 pm

MrLeonix wrote:How embarrasing, Grammys have turned into a joke by now with all of these complains from artists after those Grammy executives stupid statements. Ratings are going down, artists are starting to snub the ceremony, no one is happy, etc.

Grammys public image and credibility are so tarnished now. Oscars (Film), Grammys (Music), Emmys (Television), and Tonys (Stage) are the ultimate and official Top 4 major Entertainment Awards and its really sad to see that this whole circus is happening to one of them (Grammys).
I think the Grammys have been a joke and safe for decades (in 1980, Christopher Cross won AOTY over Pink Floyd, in 1978 A Taste Of Honey won "Best New Artist" despite Prince, Van Halen, Kate Bush and The Police all debuting the same year, Natalie Cole winning AOTY for covering her dad's songs in 1991 despite Nirvana's Nevermind, Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion, Metallica's Black Album, MJ's Dangerous, U2's Achtung Baby, Pearl Jam's Ten etc... being out the same year, etc...) but now with social media the outcrys and backlashes are more prominent.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:46 pm

NothingFails wrote:I think the Grammys have been a joke and safe for decades (in 1980, Christopher Cross won AOTY over Pink Floyd, in 1978 A Taste Of Honey won "Best New Artist" despite Prince, Van Halen, Kate Bush and The Police all debuting the same year, Natalie Cole winning AOTY for covering her dad's songs in 1991 despite Nirvana's Nevermind, Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion, Metallica's Black Album, MJ's Dangerous, U2's Achtung Baby, Pearl Jam's Ten etc... being out the same year, etc...) but now with social media the outcrys and backlashes are more prominent.
I agree but it seems like its reaching a toll now and it seems like its the last straw for many. Grammys are weaker than ever as of 2018 and their credibility is at its most vulnerable moment ever.

Is it safe to say that out of the 4 major entertainment awards (Oscars, Grammys, Emmys, Tonys) Grammys are the messiest right?
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Serby » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:59 am

NothingFails wrote:
frrr wrote:1) To begin with, I never said she was unworthy, just said she needs to step up her game to match the "Pure Heroine" era.
And she has. Melodrama artistically is a far superior effort that made it high on many year end lists. It just wasn't as accessible to 13 year olds who think Cardi B is the next Dylan. The critical acclaim is far higher this time around, which lasts longer than fickle pop success that means nothing six months later.
Dead at you using that one post from ukmix :lol: cardeesha is in another league tbh.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby heppolo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Serby wrote:Dead at you using that one post from ukmix :lol: cardeesha is in another league tbh.
Cardi should have got her Grammy for the best comedy record. Trap has turned into nonstop LOL.
heppolo
Legend

Postby clh_hilary » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Goldmoney wrote:Bruno deserved the recognition he received, but I don’t think he should have sweeped. AOTY and the R&B categories would have been enough.
Definitely. Would have preferred 1-800 for Song of the Year and "Despacito" for Record.
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Manager

Postby clh_hilary » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 pm

KEY9481 wrote:That Grammy executive is pissing me off for the second year in a row.
Women needs to step up.
Female artists mostly underperformed last year on the charts. Grammys is commercially leaning and thus the awards reflected that.
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Manager

Postby frrr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 pm

clh_hilary wrote:
Goldmoney wrote:Bruno deserved the recognition he received, but I don’t think he should have sweeped. AOTY and the R&B categories would have been enough.
Definitely. Would have preferred 1-800 for Song of the Year and "Despacito" for Record.
Those were actually my predictions, oh well it makes up for all the times he was snubbed against Adele
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:38 am

I agree with Anthony Fantano on a lot of the points.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:43 am

They probably thought that turning it into a BET awards would give them ratings boost. :oops: :oops:

Kendrick's long set was so boring, his urban outcry performance is not something general audiences will be excited to watch. :-? :-?
GetBack
Legend

Postby Hugo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:20 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Serby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:12 pm

:lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:38 pm

I wish every awards show was more like BET’s tbh
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:41 pm

GetBack wrote:They probably thought that turning it into a BET awards would give them ratings boost. :oops: :oops:

Kendrick's long set was so boring, his urban outcry performance is not something general audiences will be excited to watch. :-? :-?
yea... Kendrick is such a cult/indie artist with a niche fanbase. Explains why DAMN was so successful and HUMBLE was a #1 hit without needing any special guests. NARAS needs to stop worrying about what might be too edgy for middle aged white folks or if giving the award to _____ would give Sean Hannity something to rant about on conservative talk radio.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Goldmoney wrote:I wish every awards show was more like BET’s tbh
I wish every awards show was more like NME or old BRITs (mid 90s).
People trashing each other, dissing the winners, disrespecting each other, making fights.
heppolo
Legend

Postby abi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 am

I actually agree. I was surprised the most at ROTY to be honest knowing that "24K Magic" (the song) was not THAT huge of a song.
abi
Legend

Postby frrr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 pm

abi wrote:
I actually agree. I was surprised the most at ROTY to be honest knowing that "24K Magic" (the song) was not THAT huge of a song.
Agree, All the other songs except Jay-z were bigger. But oh well, I'm really happy :)
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Superstar

Return to General Music Discussion