How to buy Shakira... and database books!

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby lars » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:54 pm

Fate - it's a funny thing indeed!

If you've read my ranting and raving about the industry offloading shoddy goods in the name of (ineffective) copy protection, you'll know I'd sooner purchase a load of old, smelly socks than the UK edition of "Laundry Service".

Anyway by some quirk of fate, a friend of mine recommended a book on SQL (database stuff, really exciting, honest!) but Amazon UK don't have it (why?!) So off I went to Amazon in the USA to order a couple of copies, one for me and one for my friend, went through the order process and reached... the recommendations!

There it was, a list of five recommendations. Four more fascinating books on databases plus, right at the top of the list, the Shakira album! Obviously a requirment for any DBA or developer who takes their work seriously(!?), so at the very reasonable price of $13.99 (US) I snapped it up straight away! :smile:

Unfortunately, it did make the shipping cost go up from $16.97 to $19.97, but at least buying it alongside the books makes it seem less expensive! :wink:

So although I can't wholeheartedly recommend the purchase, the low cost of the CD itself and the fact that its designed to last a lifetime (unlike the UK one) makes it worth considering.

Also, a couple of days ago I got a mail back from CDNow who assured me they would ship a US copy if I ordered, not one from the EU, and in any case there is a money-back guarantee.

Still, in general I think anyone who likes Shakira should seriously look at the stuff she's done in Spanish - I think it's better, especiallly Dónde Están Los Ladrones?. But that's something to think about another day.
Last edited by lars on Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lars
Code Slayer

Postby easelena » Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:20 pm

i do think "Donde Éstan Los Ladrones" is a better album. "Pies Descalzos" is also a great album, but it's more Latin and Acoustic than the more rocky sound of "Donde Éstan Los Ladrones". Today i saw "Laundry Service" in the listening booth, and it's already damaged. After only 5 weeks.
easelena
Personal Assistant

Postby aneta » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:57 am

I was listening to Dónde Estan Los Ladrones? which Lars got me :smile: :smile: :smile: last night and I could not believe how great this album is! It's not like I haven't heard it before, but everytime I listen to it it's just really really good - the songs on there almost all could be singles, the arrangements are perfect, and the melodies so beautiful :smile:

You were right in your review of Laundry Service Marvin, the previous album is better :smile:

My faves are at the moment:
Ojos Asi
Inevitable
Sombra De Ti
Si Te Vas
Last edited by aneta on Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
aneta
Admin Babe

Postby easelena » Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:05 pm

my favs are :
Ojos Asi

No Creo
Si Te Vas
and Ciega Sordomuda
easelena
Personal Assistant

Postby aneta » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:25 pm

I especially like the Unplugged version of "No Creo" - it's cool when they do the "rap" part. But then again you get more of this wicked rap on the album version, so that's cool too :smile:
aneta
Admin Babe

Return to General Music Discussion