Albums more known for their covers than the music itself

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby UndercovaSista » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 am

To point out the name of an album because of its cover, the music comes after. Abbey Road, for example, I have always known wich album it was because I could identify its cover. I know the music too, obviously, like everybody knows The Beatles music, but I can’t say the name of one song of it from the top of my head.
UndercovaSista
Roadie

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:31 am

beredy wrote:Joy Division, Pink Floydand Nirvana are famous cover and also essential albums for anyone interested in music.
Yeah not really.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby NothingFails » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:28 am

SummerPeur wrote:
beredy wrote:Joy Division, Pink Floydand Nirvana are famous cover and also essential albums for anyone interested in music.
Yeah not really.
Joy Division was a cult band... an essential alternative band, but many who don't follow the genre don't know "She's Lost Control" or "Shadowplay" while they are timeless classics in alternative.

But Pink Floyd and Nirvana are groups you have to live under a cave to not know the music. You don't have to "like" it, but Smells Like Teen Spirit, Another Brick In The Wall, Comfortably Numb, Lithium, Money, etc... are actually quite overplayed on the radio and are songs everyone knows even if they don't follow the artist in question. You don't have to like Led Zeppelin to know Stairway To Heaven, and Nirvana/Floyd are both in that vein. The constant radio overplaying of Nirvana has actually put me off their music, it's that ubiquitous. Floyd I can take much more, largely because IMO they were a more talented band than Nirvana IMO.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 pm

That one album by Pearl Jam that's the only one everyone knows.

I couldn't care less about them, think they're terrible.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Carbon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:26 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Image
neither an iconic cover nor memorable music
Carbon
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Carbon wrote:
SummerPeur wrote:Image
neither an iconic cover nor memorable music
:lol:

I haven't been able to get into it, but I'm sure at some point in June or something I'll suddenly worship every note of it. That's usually the case with Bjork albums and me.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby UndercovaSista » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Is that a dissected frog in her face? :lol:
UndercovaSista
Roadie

Postby Carbon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:52 pm

NothingFails wrote:I haven't been able to get into it, but I'm sure at some point in June or something I'll suddenly worship every note of it. That's usually the case with Bjork albums and me.
at least it happens, I've given up on her at this point. hopefully she'll release sounds that resemble music again at some point in the future
Carbon
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Carbon wrote:
NothingFails wrote:I haven't been able to get into it, but I'm sure at some point in June or something I'll suddenly worship every note of it. That's usually the case with Bjork albums and me.
at least it happens, I've given up on her at this point. hopefully she'll release sounds that resemble music again at some point in the future
I do agree with that. I respect her as an artist and for doing what she wants to do, but I admit part of me yearns for the days when she created melodies
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Jonathan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Popular and influential albums don't belong here, even if they have iconic covers.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono - Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins (They are both nude, google it)
Jonathan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:06 pm

NothingFails wrote:
Carbon wrote:
I do agree with that. I respect her as an artist and for doing what she wants to do, but I admit part of me yearns for the days when she created melodies
So harsh........I didn't think it was that bad.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby NothingFails » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:37 pm

SummerPeur wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
Carbon wrote:
So harsh........I didn't think it was that bad.
I didn't mean that her new music is bad by any means, there's some real gems from the last decade for her. But part of me does kinda miss the days of Joga or Hyperballad or something you didn't need to absorb 40 times to truly uncover the beauty in.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:41 pm

People keep namedropping Abbey Road, and yes, Abbey Road's crosswalk cover is iconic and people who don't even care for the Beatles likely know that image... but there are certainly three songs on the album that any music novice should probably know in passing (Come Together, Here Comes The Sun and Something).

For The Beatles, I think this cover works better because it's a very famous shot that many bands have tried to mimic over the years, one of the most famous photos taken of them. But yet its probably their least well-known batch of songs (at the time, they weren't putting singles on their albums, so stuff like I Wanna Hold Your Hand and She Loves You were from these sessions and left off) and the closest thing to a song a general non-Beatles fan may know is "All My Loving".

NothingFails
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:05 am

it's quite famous, but for all the wrong reasons :lol:
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Return to General Music Discussion