Previous Grammy Awards

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits

Postby TIfan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:22 pm

I wanted to create this topic for us to discuss the previous Grammy Awards. Lets discuss snubs, favorite wins, shocking wins, favorite performances, and worst performances...
TIfan
Legend

Postby TIfan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:26 pm

I will say that 2013's Best Traditional R&B Performance was super competitive. The award could have gone to any of the performers, and it would have been deserved...

Nominees:
Anita Baker – Lately
Beyonce – Love On Top ***WINNER***
Melanie Fiona – Wrong Side of a Love Song
Gregory Porter – Real Good Hands
SWV – If Only You Knew

All were OUTSTANDING vocal performances. I struggled to pick a winner. Beyonce deserved the win, but so did everyone else.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Favorite performances

Mary J. Blige - No More Drama
Christina, Lil Kim, Mya, P!nk w/ Patti Labelle - Lady Marmalade
Eminem - Stan
Christina Aguilera - It's A Man World
Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm

:roll: :cry:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby TIfan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:49 pm

^^^Although I prefer Mimi's album, I can totally understand why Alanis won.
TIfan
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:52 pm

I feel like Madonna was way too overlooked / snubbed at the Grammys prior to "Ray of light" , like its shocking to think "Like a prayer" was largely snubbed and that a song like "Vogue" didn't make Record of the year despite being an ultimate defining recording from 1990.

Also I remember being almost sure that "Toxic" was gonna get nominated for Record of the year and I was surprised when it was just snubbed (IMO its the only ocassion Britney's been close for Record of the year) , at the year end mediatraffic chart you can see "Toxic" was one of the Top 5 biggest recordings of the entire year and was the biggest female song of 2004, it was one of the ultimate and defining songs from 2004. I was relieved when it won the Best dance recording award but I still think its absense on the Record of the year category was kind of a snub.

Lets not forget that nowadays, songs such as Meghan Trainor's "All about that bass", Taylor Swift's "Shake it off" or even Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" get Record of the year nominations with ease. Our well timeless sisters "Vogue" and "Toxic" deserved that nod, IMO.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby TIfan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 pm

^^^ :lol: I'm sorry but Toxic was not getting anywhere near Record of the Year.
TIfan
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 pm

TIfan wrote:^^^ :lol: I'm sorry but Toxic was not getting anywhere near Record of the Year.
Well these were the nominees that year:

- "Here We Go Again" by Ray Charles featuring Norah Jones (won)
- "Let's Get It Started" by The Black Eyed Peas
- "American Idiot" by Green Day
- "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys
- "Yeah" by Usher featuring Lil Jon & Ludacris
Honestly, I don't see how "Lets get it started" was a bigger thing than "Toxic" musically, commercially or impact wise, especially after how "Toxic" has been one of the most acclaimed singles from the previous decade on every single list. I also disagree with "Heaven" from Los Lonely Boys making it.

If "All about that bass" can get nominated ... :lol:
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby TIfan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:51 pm

^^^ Remember they snubbed Alicia Keys "If I Aint Got You" which should have WON Song of the Year.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Hugo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 pm

"Crazy in Love", "Hey Ya!" and "Lose Yourself" lost ROTY to... Coldplay's "Clocks", like wtf?? :lol:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 pm

TIfan wrote:^^^ Remember they snubbed Alicia Keys "If I Aint Got You" which should have WON Song of the Year.
Yeah, that was another snub.

Hugo wrote:"Crazy in Love", "Hey Ya!" and "Lose Yourself" lost ROTY to... Coldplay's "Clocks", like wtf?? :lol:
"Lose yourself" should have won!!
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby TIfan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Lauryn Hill's 5 win victory was so well deserved and a huge moment in music. It showed that the Academy was starting to open up towards honoring R&B artist outside of the genre categories. The impact of her album is still felt today.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:37 pm

TIfan wrote:Lauryn Hill's 5 win victory was so well deserved and a huge moment in music. It showed that the Academy was starting to open up towards honoring R&B artist outside of the genre categories. The impact of her album is still felt today.
Too bad no black woman has won AOTY since. :roll: Kween definitely deserved it in 2006 for Emancipation and Lemonade had it in the bag last year! :cry:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 pm

TIfan wrote:Lauryn Hill's 5 win victory was so well deserved and a huge moment in music. It showed that the Academy was starting to open up towards honoring R&B artist outside of the genre categories. The impact of her album is still felt today.
I've never listened to the album.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 am

Snubs

Musiq Soulchild - Best Male R&B Vocal Performance for Love
Maxwell - Best R&B Album for Maxwell's Urban Suite
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Luminator » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 am

It is beyond me how Mariah has never won a "Pop Vocal Performance" award after "Vision Of Love" in 1991 throughout all the years :o

"Emotions" is basically the definition of a winning song for that category. :lol:
Luminator
Manager

Postby TIfan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:53 pm

She truly should have won Pop Vocal for Emotions.
Here are my personal wins for Mariah...

Best New Artist
Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (VOL)

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (Emotions)

Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals (OSD)
Best Pop Album (Daydream)

Best Female R&B Vocal Performance (My All)

Best Female R&B Vocal Performance (WBT)
Best R&B Song (WBT)
Best Contemporary R&B Albm (TEOM)
Song of the Year (WBT)
Record of the Year (WBT)
Album of the Year (TEOM)
TIfan
Legend

Postby TIfan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Prince not winning AOTY for Purple Rain is a complete tragedy. I know Lionel was big, but hell no. Over Purple Rain?
TIfan
Legend

Postby CanYouKeepUp » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:04 pm

It always bothered me that Usher and Alicia Keys' My Boo beat DC's Lose My Breath to a Grammy.

One of the biggest snubs of the Grammys is Katy Perry. The number of #1 hits she's had - some pop gold - and she has never been awarded a single Grammy. Terrible. The Teenage Dream era was almost flawless.

And on the subject of Katy, one of my favourite Grammy performance is her Teenagr Dream/Not Like The Movies performance.
CanYouKeepUp
Manager

Return to General Music Discussion