Is Hip Hop Keeping Female Artists Out Of The Charts?

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby KokoCollino » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:24 pm

There is a gender divide in the upper echelons of popular music. In the US, Taylor Swift is the first woman to top the Hot 100 in 2017, with hits by women accounting for just 14% of all top 10 hits throughout the course of the year. But this is not just a US thing; it is a global trend, with female artists in the distinct minority in streaming too. There are various contributing factors, including unintended consequences of label A&R strategy and streaming service curation techniques.

Looking at the global top tracks on Spotify, just 18% of the tracks from the top 30 streams are from solo female artists. In terms of chart positions the male dominance is even more pronounced with female artists making up 13%, or just four, of the top 30 slots.

So how did we get here? Part of the reason is that big female acts like Beyoncé, Rihanna and Katy Perry are out of cycle, but there are other factors too:

Hip hop A+R strategy: Hip-hop has replaced EDM as the record labels’ second favoured genre (after pop). When streaming exclusives were a thing, Apple Music and Tidal were fighting it out over hip hop and urban exclusives such as Frank Ocean and Beyoncé. Meanwhile, Drake was the most streamed artist of 2016. In 2014 and 2015, labels were falling over themselves to sign EDM artists. In 2016 and 2017, hip hop and urban artists have become the sought-after commodity. EDM is a male dominated genre but hip hop is even more so. Thus of the 11 hip hop artists in the top 30 most streamed tracks on Spotify globally for the week ending 8/11/17, all of them are male. You have to go down to position 33 to find the first and only solo female hip hop artist (Cardi B) in the top 50 streamed tracks.

Streaming algorithms: Playlists are at the heart of streaming consumption and their relevance is determined by a combination of user-data learning and human curation. As a result, a vicious circle emerges, whereby playlists end up full of the music labels are pushing, and because people tend not to skip that much when listening, the user data suggests that this is the music they want to listen to. To quote Paul Weller’s lyrics: the public wants what the public gets. With hip hop now de rigueur, it essentially self-accelerates on streaming. And with most of the big artists being male, females end up becoming side lined. It is a classic case of the law of unintended consequences.

FULL ARTICLE

Apart from "Katy Perry being out of cycle", it's a good analysis IMO.
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Biebz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Females are certainly not out of the charts in the UK. Out of the past 5 #1 singles, 3 have had females as the lead artist (and it looks like Rita could get there next).
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby heppolo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:37 pm

More than anything or anyone, it's keeping rock (or any music with real instrumental background) out of charts
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby nympho » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm

I agree...
It's the same situation here in Spain, for example, with reggaeaton and latin-urban music.

Like 80% of the Top 100 in Spanish official songs chart are from this genre. This past week there were only 16 female artists in the Top 100 songs. (There's been weeks with even less). However, it's been a "good" year; Shakira, Becky G or Nati Natasha have been #1 (with a male feat., of course). Can't remember the last time a solo female artist was #1 here, though...

Hip-hop, as reggaeton, is completely male dominated. And in US hip-hop is the biggest streaming genre. Reggaeton is in Spain and most Latin American countries.
In my country, pop and melodic artists have barely any impact on the singles chart nowadays... They still sell albums, though. Which is the main reason big labels don't want the albums chart to include streaming (a separate streaming albums chart was launched recently), as the albums chart could be really affected by urban artists' streaming despite them not selling albums at all. Just as it happens in US...
nympho
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I am actually indifferent to the female artist slowly dying. I don't know... I think female had their run... Men are severely underappreciated on online forums in general - the dismissed gender.

I am mostly listening to male acts as well. I prefer their music.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Passing_Strang » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:15 pm

The main concern should be not about gender but about music, creativity, melodiс invention and so on. If women en masse churn out formulaic, uninspired, unmemorable pap then it's a good thing they are nowhere near the top of the charts. I agree with stevyy, there's too much attention on one gender these days - and even then it's focused invariably not on anything creative but on "image" and other such superfluous things, which come with the annoying idolatry and uncritical praise. In other words there's too much hype regarding females and not nearly enough artistry - like the mere fact that the person is female have to be enough to receive accolades and promotion. People seem to understand that and vote accordingly. So it's actually a healthy situation.
Passing_Strang
Personal Assistant

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Another reason to pray for Spotify dying.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Biebz wrote:Females are certainly not out of the charts in the UK. Out of the past 5 #1 singles, 3 have had females as the lead artist (and it looks like Rita could get there next).
The UK always had a sweet spot for them though, it's really nice to see!
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Female lead songs in the German Year End Chart 2017:

14. Alice Merton – No Roots [peak: 2] *
18. Camila Cabello – Havana [peak: 2]
27. Rita Ora – Your Song [peak: 13]
39. P!nk – What About Us [peak: 3]
41. Dua Lipa – New Rules [peak: 9]
44. Starley – Call On Me [peak: 7] **
60. Helene Fischer – Herzbeben [peak: 3] *
64. Katy Perry – Chained To The Rhythm [peak: 6]
68. Maggie Lindemann – Pretty Girl [peak: 25] **
79. Alma – Chasing Highs [peak: 17]
81. Taylor Swift – Look What You Made Me Do [peak: 3]
92. Sia – Never Give Up [peak: 8]
93. Julia Michaels – Issues [peak: 29]
100. Shakira – Chantaje [peak: 20]

* German artist
** Success due to remix
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Unless they’re female themselves and they’re crap too.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Mainshow wrote:Another reason to pray for Spotify dying.
It’ll be one of the greatest days in music history when that happens.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Goldmoney wrote:
It’ll be one of the greatest days in music history when that happens.
I don't wanna say everything that Spotify causes/influences is good, but the labels are making a lot of money again and are therefore able to invest in niche acts of any genre.
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby TIfan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:48 pm

I think trend following will continue to make music less interesting. I no longer get excited to hear new music anymore. I think it's due to streaming. Music is everywhere.

But this mumble mess is truly killing the industry.
TIfan
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:50 pm

TIfan wrote:I think trend following will continue to make music less interesting. I no longer get excited to hear new music anymore. I think it's due to streaming. Music is everywhere.

The industry not. I guess what you mean is the culture?
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't see it happening soon
heppolo
Legend

Postby TIfan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:53 pm

KokoCollino wrote:
TIfan wrote:I think trend following will continue to make music less interesting. I no longer get excited to hear new music anymore. I think it's due to streaming. Music is everywhere.

The industry not. I guess what you mean is the culture?
I hate the word culture, but I will say the industry period. Most people 30 and above that I know do not like that mumble mess. That's why artist seem to be getting younger and younger. 10 years ago, there was music that all ages enjoyed. Quality is playing a role in sales. Not just streaming.
TIfan
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Hmm I don't really know what you mean. The industry is growing for years now.

That said, I also believe that Spotify/streaming has negative consequences, but the recorded industry is growing. What I guess is that the live industry might have some issues some time because of Spotify creating less and less "huge" stars that fill stadiums - with people listening to playlists and not even knowing what they're listening to.
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:57 pm

mumble rap is the new age of elevator music or muzak
heppolo
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 am

To be honest, the Hip-Hop trend is only happening in the US. If you look at the Spotify Global chart it's still pretty much Pop-dominated (even though the #1 song is a Rap song) and has a bunch of female artists in the top 20 (Dua, Camila, Selena, etc.).
abi
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 am

abi wrote:To be honest, the Hip-Hop trend is only happening in the US. If you look at the Spotify Global chart it's still pretty much Pop-dominated (even though the #1 song is a Rap song) and has a bunch of female artists in the top 20 (Dua, Camila, Selena, etc.).
If such trash as Post Malone's ''Rockstar'' was UK #1 for weeks, I can safely say it's not just the US.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 am

For a very long time radio decided what was big on the charts, how is this any different? the only difference is that people can choose whether or not they listen to a song on Spotify etc.

Spotify is much better for the consumer and record companies than downloads were, they are making more money now so they can invest more in their artists again.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby abi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 am

heppolo wrote:
abi wrote:To be honest, the Hip-Hop trend is only happening in the US. If you look at the Spotify Global chart it's still pretty much Pop-dominated (even though the #1 song is a Rap song) and has a bunch of female artists in the top 20 (Dua, Camila, Selena, etc.).
If such trash as Post Malone's ''Rockstar'' was UK #1 for weeks, I can safely say it's not just the US.
Yeah but having one Hip-Hop song smashing isn't exactly a trend. Looking at the top 10 on UK Spotify, only 3 rap songs are there - one (Eminem/Ed) is arguably more Pop rather than Hip-Hop, the other one ("Unforgettable") definitely leans towards more Dancehall/Tropical-whatever-that-genre-is.
abi
Legend

Postby ludichris » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:28 pm

The problem is that they are counting non-paid streams for the charts. If we compare the current top 10 on Spotify vs Apple Music/TIDAL etc you can see the difference with the free tier and solely paid for subscription services. There is less Hip-Hop on the paid for services top song lists. Free streams should not be eligible.
ludichris
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:11 pm

I mean, I'm not personally crazy about a lot of the stuff slaying the charts, but people act like it's such a bad thing. Women have been slaying the singles chart for over 30 years... since around the time Madonna, Whitney, Janet and Cyndi Lauper broke big in the mid 1980s up until 2-3 years ago, the pop charts were dominated by women and your Michael Jackson's, George Michael's, Prince's, Usher's and Justin Timberlake's who were male pop stars who slayed were the exception to the rule. There's nothing wrong with taking a breather from the divas for a moment given women essentially ruled 1985-2015.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 pm

ludichris wrote:The problem is that they are counting non-paid streams for the charts. If we compare the current top 10 on Spotify vs Apple Music/TIDAL etc you can see the difference with the free tier and solely paid for subscription services. There is less Hip-Hop on the paid for services top song lists. Free streams should not be eligible.
I can only agree here.
heppolo
Legend

Return to General Music Discussion