When a song/album "grows" on you...

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby Hugo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm

Does this happen to you a lot? I find it very interesting.

If I don't like a song on a first listen usually I won't revisit it again. So what is it? Are you forcing yourself to listen repeatedly to a particular song you didn't enjoy at first until it finally clicks?

I guess we can all agree most pop music isn't that deep and generally I can immediately tell if it's something I find worth returning to.

Thoughts?
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Bojan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Some of my favourite albums and songs are those I didn't like on a first listen. The explanation is simple. It's hard to get into more complex or experimental, innovative songs on a first listen. They are usually less melodic and/or have more elements, many things going on at the same time and it takes more than one listen to catch all of that and start appreciating the song. But if we talk about ordinary, predictable pop songs, then yeah. If I don't like it on a first listen I'll probably never like it, but even if I like it on a first listen there is a big chance that I'll get bored in a month or so.
JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
Bojan
Manager

Postby Hugo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Bojan wrote:Some of my favourite albums and songs are those I didn't like on a first listen. The explanation is simple. It's hard to get into more complex or experimental, innovative songs on a first listen. They are usually less melodic and/or have more elements, many things going on at the same time and it takes more than one listen to catch all of that and start appreciating the song.
This happens a lot to me too. Obviously our mind wanders while listening to music and some albums demand more attention, usually not pop ones. But I'm not sure you really meant "didn't like", isn't it more like "didn't get/feel"?

Pop music is more immediate, because of the way it's consumed, and that's why I find it interesting the fact that there are pop listeners that take their time with particular songs as if there's more to uncover, something that will make them like those songs.

If a pop song doesn't grab you, if you don't get it on a first listen, it has already failed its genre. And it's somehow obvious to me that if you play a song repeatedly it will unsurprisingly be stuck in your head, but is it enjoyment?
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm not here for the pop-shaming. :lol:

Some of my favourite pop hooks ("Umbrella," "Havana," etc.) weren't immediate clickers. With "Umbrella," I thought the Ella ella eh eh eh bit was annoying the first time I heard it; with "Havana," I didn't think its hook was anything noteworthy and I only revisited the song months later when the GP jumped on it wondering why everyone thought it was so good. I think the best pop songs aren't actually that instant; they're typically growers, where you find a lyric or synth that you hadn't heard the previous few times that stands out.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Hugo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:57 pm

There are times in an act's career where anything they release becomes a hit, no matter the quality. Just look at Ed's "Perfect", how bland and insipid is that song? And yet it's poised to become one of the biggest hits of the year, because people are happy riding his hype train. That's not to say that there aren't people having success with quality music.

Anyway, that's not even my point.

The point is how often does a pop song grow on people, what does one have to do to achieve that and is that even the point of a pop song? Taste, quality, those things are all relative, of course.
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby iMacourey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 am

Bojan wrote:Some of my favourite albums and songs are those I didn't like on a first listen. The explanation is simple. It's hard to get into more complex or experimental, innovative songs on a first listen. They are usually less melodic and/or have more elements, many things going on at the same time and it takes more than one listen to catch all of that and start appreciating the song. But if we talk about ordinary, predictable pop songs, then yeah. If I don't like it on a first listen I'll probably never like it, but even if I like it on a first listen there is a big chance that I'll get bored in a month or so.
This is pretty much the case with me. Most of my favourite albums are ones that have taken a bit longer to fully appreciate.

Standard radio-friendly pop songs on the other hand, if I grow to like it, it's usually because I've been exposed to it so much by hearing it on the radio all the time i.e. the Ed Sheerans, Justin Biebers and Rita Oras etc... However I do find that these type of songs are the ones I'm less likely to listen to, say, five years down the line.
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby ludichris » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am

For me there are 3 categories that a song can go into after listening to it once. A song never grows on me if I hate it instantly, I just never listen to it again.

Love: Enjoy the song a lot instantly from the lyrics to production to performance. It goes straight into my playlist after one play. It doesn't need to grow on me. New Rules.

Meh: I can tolerate if I hear it on the radio or a playlist but it will never be a part of my library nor will I seek to play it. These can be classed as growers. Too Good At Goodbyes.

Hate: Dislike after hearing only 30 seconds of it. Cannot finish the song and skip or change channel whenever it is on. These songs never grow on me. rockstar.
ludichris
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:29 am

It happens sometimes but not that often
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:51 pm

I never force myself to love a song, but I like to watch music channels and my parents still play a lot of radio, so I revisit certain songs and then they grow on me, which happened to me with most Sam Smith songs
There are also tracks I dislike or don't really care about, but when the full album gets out, I begin to like them while playing the full record, which happened with Chained To The Rhythm.
And there are songs and albums that I don't like at the moment they are released, but I revisit them while the act releases or prepping to release their new album and fall in love with certain songs or even whole albums. I recently had this with Panic! At The Disco's discography. I completely overlooked their 3rd album.
Jesper
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 am

It happens all the time to me but usually its the music video that can swing it
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby abi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 am

This actually happens to me very often. :lol:

For example when artist A releases a new song, I check it out and sometimes I'm like "meh, whatever". A few weeks later, the song pops up randomly on my recommendation on Spotify and when it plays I'm like "wait, this song is a jam" only to find out that it was the song I used to dislike a few weeks earlier. This happens to me SO MANY times, i.e. SZA's "Love Galore", Kendrick/Rihanna's "LOYALTY", Miguel/Travis Scott's "Sky Walker", and pretty much 40% of songs on my Spotify paylists right now are growers. :lol:

Other times, it was when a song gets overplayed on the radio, it actually makes you warm up even though you really dislike it at first. For example for me, Bruno Mars' "Versace on the Floor", Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You" and most recently, Zayn/Sia's "Dusk Till Dawn" - which is currently my favorite song at the moment.

Another example is Beyonce's "Drunk in Love". When I first heard it it was so weeeiiird I was like "WTF is thiisss? Where the melody? Where's the chorus? Where is... everything?". But then, because I always listened to the album in full and never skipped any songs, it really did become a grower and now it ended up as one of my favorite bops of all time. Some songs on the album however, like "Blue" & "Heaven" remain boring no matter how many times I hear it.

I guess it has to do with the mood & maybe familiarity when you first heard the song. Like, I was not familiar with Alternative R&B and Trap at all when I first listened to Beyonce that's why I found most of the tracks weird. But the more I warm up to the genre, the more I appreciate the sound of the album.
abi
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 am

abi wrote:Another example is Beyonce's "Drunk in Love". When I first heard it it was so weeeiiird I was like "WTF is thiisss? Where the melody? Where's the chorus? Where is... everything?".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was me with most Lemonade tracks before the album grew on me to the point where it was my album of the year. I remember thinking "Drunk in Love" was just 'okay' the first time I played it. Then it grew to be my favourite song of 2014.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:40 pm

It happens to me quite a lot, even with pop singles. Take for example Rita Ora's Your Song. I remember hearing it for the first time and thinking it was beyond dull, nothing special and I was quite disappointed. It took me a while, but then the song suddenly hit me and it has become one of my favourite songs of 2017.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:27 am

Most stuff grows on repeated listens for me.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 pm

TBH this is actually rings true for me personally with Rihanna songs.

Usually on the first couple of listens I'm like 'Nah, not for me'.

But then on the 6th or 7th listen, I'm Werk Werk Werk Werk.....
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby GypsyHeart » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:53 pm

It happens to me sometimes but I will listen to it until I know the lyrics and songs then I don't play it until I'm bored and listen to it again and maybe I like it more.
I suport my faves even when I don't like the music on a new album.
I save my love for love in a land called far away
GypsyHeart
Manager

Postby cdschart » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:50 pm

It depends. sometimes you hear songs differently as you continue listening, which improves your view on them

and other times you're forcing yourself to like something by your fave in hopes that it'll tide you over until the next single/album
cdschart
Manager

Return to General Music Discussion