The 61st Annual Grammy Awards (2019)

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby Hugo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm

I might as well reserve this now lol
Last edited by Hugo on Thu May 31, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:26 am

Time and time again I expect quality to win and I'm always disappointed.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Serby » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

Yeah, excited more for G2019 now than I did last night lol. Not even SB looks interstig this year. Meh.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby BeeBoy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 am

Hugo wrote:Time and time again I expect quality to win and I'm always disappointed.
"Problem" is that quality is subjective. The more people like your (safe) work the higher the chances you win. Making an album in less accessible genres like rap/urban or cause controversity/statements makes you miss out on votes especially with splitting like this year. Should it worry you when critics and sales are on your side? No. They should start honoring albums that create movements and challenge artistry. Will they ever do it? No not unless they create a seperate award for it probably.
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 am

Unless Adele surprises us with 28 this year, it's safe to say Taylor's Reputation has this in the bag. Since the Grammys will only give it to whatever the most mainstream/biggest selling pop album of the year is.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am

NothingFails wrote:Unless Adele surprises us with 28 this year, it's safe to say Taylor's Reputation has this in the bag. Since the Grammys will only give it to whatever the most mainstream/biggest selling pop album of the year is.
Not gonna happen!, bookmark me!!!!!!
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:50 am

Ewokguy15 wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Unless Adele surprises us with 28 this year, it's safe to say Taylor's Reputation has this in the bag. Since the Grammys will only give it to whatever the most mainstream/biggest selling pop album of the year is.
After the backlash to Beck not being well known enough to the Spotify generation who don't even know Loser or Where It's At (which is akin to not even knowing Creep by Radiohead), they're never going to take a risk and give AOTY to anything that isn't the most mainstream af album possible. I doubt there will be a bigger selling album/less "offensive" to old white Fox News viewers (they can handle Bruno, they would lose it over Kendrick or Jay-Z) this year unless Adele surprises us, so I think it's safe to say Taylor will threepeat just because all the Grammy people do is look at chart stats and not critical acclaim/importance of the music, even though Beyonce, To Pimp A Butterfly, Lemonade and DAMN were all more highly acclaimed than the albums they lost to.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 am

It won't likely be Taylor. Not only Grammys will award the most commercial, obvious and safest choice these days but they also start dropping artists a lot once they peak, so don't be surprised if Taylor doesn't reveive much love next year, the album hasn't fared like her previous ones and she's struggling to get real hits plus her image is not so perfect these days, she isn't even promoting or caring at all and Grammys already snubbed "Look what you made me do" this year.

The award will likely go to someone else who gets really popular and commercial and becomes the 2019's darling :wink:
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby NoAngel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 am

They snubbed LWYMMD, so we might be surprised.
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Madonna will destroy the Grannies next year (a fan can wish :lol: )
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Ruthymon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Sheesh, Hugo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't waste any time, do you?
Ruthymon
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:54 pm

^ Nope.

Let's predict next year's AOTY nominees, don't forget terrible albums can get nominated too!!
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby stevyy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:30 pm

first of all, watch Mariah / Céline / Madonna (who will all release albums in 2018) not receiving even a nomination in the tiniest of categories like best jewelcase.
stevyy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Love the direction of the Grammys! :D :D

NothingFails wrote:
Ewokguy15 wrote:
After the backlash to Beck not being well known enough to the Spotify generation who don't even know Loser or Where It's At (which is akin to not even knowing Creep by Radiohead), they're never going to take a risk and give AOTY to anything that isn't the most mainstream af album possible. I doubt there will be a bigger selling album/less "offensive" to old white Fox News viewers (they can handle Bruno, they would lose it over Kendrick or Jay-Z) this year unless Adele surprises us, so I think it's safe to say Taylor will threepeat just because all the Grammy people do is look at chart stats and not critical acclaim/importance of the music, even though Beyonce, To Pimp A Butterfly, Lemonade and DAMN were all more highly acclaimed than the albums they lost to.
Since when does Grammy love equate to critical reviews? :roll: :roll: Those critically acclaimed albums should get nominated in the Critically Acclaimed Album of the Year That Desperately Needs Grammy Validation category that should be included in the General Field if they want Grammy awards for those critically acclaimed "brilliant" albums mentioned. :oops: :oops:
Carey like Mariah.
GetBack
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:22 pm

American music industry is abysmal anyway, especially the big labels. The scene that celebrates itself
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:45 pm

heppolo wrote:American music industry is abysmal anyway, especially the big labels. The scene that celebrates itself
Indeed it is.

At least Bruno Mars is an incredibly talented act.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Camila Cabello and Taylor will be nominated for AOTY
Jonathan
Legend

Postby Biebz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Jonathan wrote:Camila Cabello and Taylor will be nominated for AOTY
Do you think? :o I mean I think Camila pretty much has a Pop album nomination in the bag but AOTY would be a crazy achievement for her
Oh god miss u on my lips, It’s me ur little Venice bitchhhh
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Hugo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 pm

They'll probably give AOTY to a band, maybe Arctic Monkeys.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby croatiaxtina » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Hugo wrote:They'll probably give AOTY to a band, maybe Arctic Monkeys.
That's not gonna happen. They had only 3 noms til now. Such a shame. And they even didn't won.
croatiaxtina
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:01 pm

DnBLover wrote:At least Bruno Mars is an incredibly talented act.
But wrapped as a harmless birthday cake
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 pm

GetBack wrote:Love the direction of the Grammys! :D :D

NothingFails wrote:
Ewokguy15 wrote:
Since when does Grammy love equate to critical reviews? :roll: :roll: Those critically acclaimed albums should get nominated in the Critically Acclaimed Album of the Year That Desperately Needs Grammy Validation category that should be included in the General Field if they want Grammy awards for those critically acclaimed "brilliant" albums mentioned. :oops: :oops:
Well, they don't give "Best Picture" to the movie that sells the most tickets (there have been a few exceptions like Titanic and Lord Of The Rings but 90% of the time the biggest blockbuster and the movie critics adored the most don't go hand in hand) so its odd that critics would bypass the albums they put highest on year-end lists to give it to the safest album that is the most radio-friendly unit shifting in the lot. They should just say "Biggest album of the year" and be like Billboard and be done with it because its laughable they give Album Of The Year to something with a 70 on Metacritic when DAMN had a score of 95.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Hugo wrote:They'll probably give AOTY to a band, maybe Arctic Monkeys.
Won't happen.... media and pop stans have been trying to bury rock for years. All you have to do is see the way Arcade Fire were treated in 2011 even though at the time it could be argued they were the biggest (or at least most important) alternative band around.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 pm

I think Kelly Clarkson's Meaning of Life could get an AOTY nomination.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Serby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:15 am

Rihanna's 9th album tbh.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to General Music Discussion